What is this rollback?

> @"Liquid Storm.8097" said:

> I know, I mean you won't get anything unless you ask. And OP would have been given the same compensation as the other players for this inconvenience, which is why his stance really puzzles me. He wouldn't lose anything, in fact he would get the same compensation as everyone else. Why in the world would he oppose that?

But.. did THEY asked anyone before the rollback? Any decent IT team would give a heads up. Allow us to save our ####. This rollback was unexpected and sloppy and some actually lost a lot because guess what : some people play the most during weekends.

I am utterly displeased and disappointed and i don't even know if i should write a ticket or just trust them to make things right

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"LaWyer.2796" said:

> Also, companies like this live almost exclusively from marketing and do you think today’s event is a real marketing breakthrough for GW2 and Anet?

Of course it's not. But a little bit common sense would people not causing going all crazy just because of two days of work gone. Work they're not going to be paid for. And it seems most people assume that ArenaNet will not correct anything at all from the start but just complain how THEY lost everything from the last two days insted of just give the devs a chance to say something.

> @"Liquid Storm.8097" said:

> I honestly don't understand what exactly are you people trying to achieve with posts like this? A pat on the back from the devs? A medal? Recognition from the community? Seriously, I'm confused.

I don't expect anything, not even that a single dev would even take a look at this thread. And if they look at all those other threads, they might just think "Why am I doing this again?", at least I would do so.

> @"MarkoGold.7126" said:

> they need to apologise.

Yes, they need to. They must not, as much as they must not give any compensation. It also could be very much a failure of the server itself so not a single human could be responsible for this at all.

Too Entitled? I work all day, I have limited playtime. This has ruined my evening, time is the one thing you can never get back.

Now I'm just hoping they will be able to fix it because I am down an easy 1000g and 8000 gems just in pure monetary stuff, not to mention the almost 30 hours of playtime this lost me.

I really hope they fix this and restore our progress. I just started achievement hunting again, last week, from season after PoF. I played a lot this weekend and got a lot stuff done. If I have to redo it all again I will be put off gw2 for some time.

So a few things I would want clarifications on:

1. Will Anet be able to fix the rollback?

2. If not, how will Anet compensate?

3. If fixed, will our progress during the rollback be reset?

4. What will be the compensation?

> @"aclaudia.4652" said:

> > @"Liquid Storm.8097" said:

>

> > I know, I mean you won't get anything unless you ask. And OP would have been given the same compensation as the other players for this inconvenience, which is why his stance really puzzles me. He wouldn't lose anything, in fact he would get the same compensation as everyone else. Why in the world would he oppose that?

>

> But.. did THEY asked anyone before the rollback? Any decent IT team would give a heads up. Allow us to save our ####. This rollback was unexpected and sloppy and some actually lost a lot because guess what : some people play the most during weekends.

> I am utterly displeased and disappointed and i don't even know if i should write a ticket or just trust them to make things right

>

I know and it's utterly unprofessional. Let's wait and see.

@"Nokomis.5076"

If I ever open up a store, I sincerely hope to god the majority of my clientbase will have your mentality. That way I can sell them broken or unfinished things for lots of cash without the fear of them demanding refunds or compensations.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> > @"LaWyer.2796" said:

> > Also, companies like this live almost exclusively from marketing and do you think today’s event is a real marketing breakthrough for GW2 and Anet?

> Of course it's not. But a little bit common sense would people not causing going all crazy just because of two days of work gone. Work they're not going to be paid for. And it seems most people assume that ArenaNet will not correct anything at all from the start but just complain how THEY lost everything from the last two days insted of just give the devs a chance to say something.

-> Words got a meaning... For some people, 2 days of farming/grind, map completion, harder achievements or anything similar aren't "just" (or RnG loots). Also, ANet lack of presence in the forum isn't something new born from the rollback issue. I used to play an older but more boring MMO (NosTale), but at least the active forum staff was here and not "invisible" in the eyes of the players.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said

> > @"Liquid Storm.8097" said:

> > I honestly don't understand what exactly are you people trying to achieve with posts like this? A pat on the back from the devs? A medal? Recognition from the community? Seriously, I'm confused.

> I don't expect anything, not even that a single dev would even take a look at this thread. And if they look at all those other threads, they might just think "Why am I doing this again?", at least I would do so.

The guys replying to you explicitly say that the paragraph you quoted is irrelevant to the rollback issue, as it was unintended & not at all an update, patch or whatever you call it at the beginning.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said

> > @"MarkoGold.7126" said:

> > they need to apologise.

> Yes, they need to. They must not, as much as they must not give any compensation. It also could be very much a failure of the server itself so not a single human could be responsible for this at all.

I don't care about compensation personally as long as they bring things as they were this morning (i.e. hot fix as there have been quite a number of those since the last update) :)

this is not a rollback. not intentional that is. serwer went haywire and we got put in a backup state of the game. if they were to do it intentionally it would be infinitely easier to inform players beforehand, and completely lock any gem transactions and TP for maybe even couple days in advance, simply to avoid having to deal with possibly thousands of tickets regarding refunds. not defending the comapny right here, just saying that maybe ppl should think at least just a bit before they start spreading nonsense. watch a movie, drink a beer and wait patiently for when we hear from the devs on this matter. saying they did it intentionally is like assuming someone was behind that earthquake that killed thousands.

> > @"MarkoGold.7126" said:

> > they need to apologise.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> Yes, they need to. They must not, as much as they must not give any compensation. It also could be very much a failure of the server itself so not a single human could be responsible for this at all.

You have no clue what you're talking about. First of all the servers might be rented, which they have a contract for, which leads to insurance.

Do you really think a game like this would rely on a single server to get this game running? Even small companies don't work like you're saying.

They hire servers somewhere else to ensure that the up time is guaranteed (out sourcing), they then make backups on other servers at the same place and at other data centers, then they mostly make backups on own servers, and on different locations.

Servers crash all the time due to a bunch of different things they aren't responsible for.

In your "story" when a fire breaks out, the game is gone.

Think a little bit further before posting like you know everything.

Well apparently the rollback happened to the entire EU server.

First thing is, Anet definitely did not do this intentionally. If they wanted to do a rollback they would've definitely said something by now. The rollback must've been some sort of bug. Or maybe some cyber attacks, but that's none of our business.

Can the server be fixed to before the rollback? I don't know. Anet doesn't know either because otherwise they would've told us.

Don't spam the support team. They are just as confused as us, and they really wouldn't know how to fix your account.

Asking for compensation is unnecessary imo, for those panicking. If they fix the issue everything will be all good, and we can be back to normal gaming. If they don't get to fix it though, I'm pretty certain they will offer some kind of compensation. They won't just intentionally annoy us, trust me.

What can we do? I recommend pausing your progress into the game until Anet officially declares some resolution to this issue. If they were to fix the rollback it is very likely they do not save your play progress. Of course you can still have fun playing the game during the time but be prepared to not gain anything from it.

In the end I'll put something personal. I'm reeeeeeally curious of how the new expansion will be like! I hope there can be some sort of preview for this :P

> @"FunKiller.6570" said:

> Even if it's a 3-4 days rollback. I used to have ~600-700g from which, 525g I used to buy a Dawn.

> Now neither the gold or Dawn are available.

> Uninstall time?

>

> https://imgur.com/a/ChSguMy

>

No, this is time for patience, to let Anet tech/server team do their job and restore the game to the most recent version possible so that we can all continue as we were. Rage quitting over a little service down time is ... well, that only hurts you. And in the long run, you won't even remember this glitch down the road. After all, it has impacted everyone on EU servers anyway, so it's not like only you lost out either.

> @"LaWyer.2796" said:

> Please read everything again. The general terms and conditions of business must not conflict with the rights guaranteed by positive regulations, international regulations, etc., so this article you have posted only applies to accepting upgrades for further play, and is by no means an excuse to delete the entire game weekend.

> Also, companies like this live almost exclusively from marketing and do you think today’s event is a real marketing breakthrough for GW2 and Anet?

You acknowledge that **Service may be interrupted for reasons within or beyond the control of ArenaNet**, that ArenaNet cannot and does not guarantee You will be able to use the Game or any Account whenever You wish to do so...

Service may be interrupted, and I cannot be bothered to read the entire ToS to find it, but I am 100% sure Anet has covered their back in this agreement so they are not obliged to offer any compensation for disruption to service. They may do it out of good will as a token of gratitude/humility to the player base in EU, but they have no obligation to do so.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> Ever took a look at the https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/ you acknowledged with creating your account?

> Besides other things there is the following:

> > 10. SERVICE AND AVAILABILITY

> > (b) You acknowledge that Service may be interrupted for reasons within or beyond the control of ArenaNet, that ArenaNet cannot and does not guarantee You will be able to use the Game or any Account whenever You wish to do so, that ArenaNet will interrupt the Service on a regular basis for purposes of maintenance or updates and may do so without providing You with notice before such interruption, and that ArenaNet may provide subsequent versions, enhancements, modifications, upgrades or patches related to the Game that You must accept and/or install before You will be able to use the Game.

>

> ArenaNet does not owe you the slightest bit of anything. It's just a game. Get over it. The devs are also just humans, just like you. Do they cry in the forums about how unfair the players are?

This forum needs an Ignore function now more than ever.

> @"LightningFunk.7258" said:

> wait theres a new expansion?????

>

Yes. Apparently its like an oriental style one. Not super sure tho, heard all these stuff from friends. I'm very certain the last thing Anet wants is to make people wanting to buy the expansion feel insecure about their game. So I'm not even close to worried as in how they will deal with the case.

I am just a newbee in GW2, but I played some games online during the years. Online games used to have fails like this. The matter is how Anet would be able to solve the situation. Do they have proper backup to bring back the morning status? If not, its not just a disappointment but rather a legal problem because many people bought assets for IRL money during the questionable time...

I think that the fact that you can continue to play the game, after they informed us that they know now about the problem is very apparent that there will be no fixing this.

Normally servers should be brought down while db is being reinstated. Because it seems that if the fix everyone hopes for is to be back to the state from before the servers crash. That would mean that every interaction with game after the crash will be lost. So because it hasnt been said and you can normally login and play, it most likely mean that progress will not get restored. I think that by this part "and they are working on a resolution" what they mean is damage control solution, like tp problems and so it doesnt happen again.