ANet Please Opt-In to Keep GW2 on GeForce Now

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> **_So I take it no one posting about this on these forums bothered to read any of the articles about this....ArenaNet specifically said they were opting out until some technical issues can be dealt with..._**

Would you mind sharing links to these articles so that we can read them? Nothing comes up when I search for it.

> @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > >

> > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > >

> > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > >

> > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> >

> > How old is your computer, then?

>

> Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

@"Perihen the Thawk.9527"

They might mean [this MassivelyOP article](https://massivelyop.com/2020/05/28/geforce-now-lets-game-publishers-opt-in-guild-wars-2-and-albion-online-decide-to-opt-out/), but it only mentions GW2 because it's an MMO news site, there isn't any statement from Anet or NCSOFT there. It just says "Nvidia’s blog explains as a result of publishers “still figuring out their cloud strategies.”" which could mean anything for any of the games being pulled.

Plus, the article might not even be accurate in saying they opted out. Tabletop Simulator was one of the games that was announced by Nvidia to be leaving, but the devs were just unaware of the new opt-in system and opted back when they were told about it on reddit, from what I can tell the article's only source for claiming the companies opted out is that list by Nvidia.

I haven't seen any articles mentioning a statement from Anet but I'll keep looking. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a miscommunication problem on Nvidia's part. The opt-in system seems to be integrated with Steam having a cloud gaming opt-in setting, and if that is how Nvidia are selling it/asking other companies of course GW2 wouldn't be a part, but League of Legends has been on GFN for a while and will stay on after this change and that game is only available directly through the launcher no other storefront, so it shouldn't be dependant on Steam or anything.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > > >

> > > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > > >

> > > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> > >

> > > How old is your computer, then?

> >

> > Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

>

> Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

So you find something that ALREADY EXISTS to he unrealistic

Why don't you go ahead and show yourself yourself to the exit

> @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > > > >

> > > > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> > > >

> > > > How old is your computer, then?

> > >

> > > Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

> >

> > Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

>

> So you find something that ALREADY EXISTS to he unrealistic

>

> Why don't you go ahead and show yourself yourself to the exit

Thanks for the snark. I thought that the forums were for conversation and debate, not one-way only opinions.

My point was that to expect a computer game studio to continue to support systems that are more than ten years old is an unrealistic expectation.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> > > > >

> > > > > How old is your computer, then?

> > > >

> > > > Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

> > >

> > > Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

> >

> > So you find something that ALREADY EXISTS to he unrealistic

> >

> > Why don't you go ahead and show yourself yourself to the exit

>

> Thanks for the snark. I thought that the forums were for conversation and debate, not one-way only opinions.

>

> My point was that to expect a computer game studio to continue to support systems that are more than ten years old is an unrealistic expectation.

My point was your point has no merit as the service already exists

> @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How old is your computer, then?

> > > > >

> > > > > Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

> > > >

> > > > Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

> > >

> > > So you find something that ALREADY EXISTS to he unrealistic

> > >

> > > Why don't you go ahead and show yourself yourself to the exit

> >

> > Thanks for the snark. I thought that the forums were for conversation and debate, not one-way only opinions.

> >

> > My point was that to expect a computer game studio to continue to support systems that are more than ten years old is an unrealistic expectation.

>

> My point was your point has no merit as the service already exists

the thing is remember then gw 2 went from 32bit to 64bit that made many systems obsolete as they had 32bit cpus and operation systems. but it fixed the constant crashing the game had back then . as stuff changes so does the requirments to run the game

My PC took a dive bout a year or so. and since using GeForce I'm loving being back to the game and my guild. Don't know if our 2 cents count or maybe there is a underline reason you would opt out. But I neeeeeeeeeeeeed gw2 in my life and GeForce now is the only solution for me and thousands of your player base. So opt in

> @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > @"sraav.9617" said:

> > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > > > > > > > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"ZeroGPX.4056" said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1. Can my computer handle it?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It's 2020.... If your computer cant handle a 7 year old game you need to re evaluate your life priorities.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As much as I'd like to play Guild Wars, I'm **not** buying a new computer for that reason alone. My priorities are just fine.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How old is your computer, then?

> > > > >

> > > > > Not sure off the top of my head since it's secondhand. Is it really relevant though?

> > > >

> > > > Only relevant in that it would seem that some people think that a game should continue to support computer hardware (and operating systems) that are many years older than the game itself. Personally, I find that unrealistic.

> > >

> > > So you find something that ALREADY EXISTS to he unrealistic

> > >

> > > Why don't you go ahead and show yourself yourself to the exit

> >

> > Thanks for the snark. I thought that the forums were for conversation and debate, not one-way only opinions.

> >

> > My point was that to expect a computer game studio to continue to support systems that are more than ten years old is an unrealistic expectation.

>

> My point was your point has no merit as the service already exists

Sorry that I wasn't clear for you. I am not talking about the availability of the service. I'm talking about the expectation that GW2 should be able to run on systems that are antiquated.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> the thing is remember then gw 2 went from 32bit to 64bit that made many systems obsolete as they had 32bit cpus and operation systems. but it fixed the constant crashing the game had back then . as stuff changes so does the requirments to run the game

What does that have to do with the streaming service? They can still make whatever optimizations they want, since the streaming service is using modern hardware.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> Sorry that I wasn't clear for you. I am not talking about the availability of the service. I'm talking about the expectation that GW2 should be able to run on systems that are antiquated.

Well, this thread is about the availability of the streaming service. I haven't seen anyone demanding that Anet make the game run on old hardware? I'm not sure whose expectations you're referring to. The service just allows people with "antiquated" hardware to play the game anyway, at no cost to Anet.

"hmm in the middle of a global depression when tons of our players are losing their jobs and facing uncertainty, what can we do for them?"

"force them to buy new computer hardware instead of a $5/month service that works great, making sure they have no spare $ to spend on gems"

"give that man a raise"

> Sorry that I wasn't clear for you. I am not talking about the availability of the service. I'm talking about the expectation that GW2 should be able to run on systems that are antiquated.

What is the expectation? Are you not sure how cloud gaming works? The hardware running the game is not antiquated, but the one accessing it is. Honestly your posts read like an old man shaking his fist at the clouds

+1

I also think GW2 should be available on Geforce Now.

I never used this service, actually I didn't even know stuff like this existed before this forum post, but it seems that many people rely on it to play. The more people that play Guild Wars 2 the larger and more diverse the community is, and I support that. So unless a replacement is ready-to-go, I think it makes sense to make the game accessible to as many people as possible, without handicapping performance updates of the engine for modern PC architecture, and especially if ANet/NCSoft doesn't have to pay Nvidia. From my 10 seconds of research it seems like the "cost" is covered by subscription fees of the users and devs pay nothing. I haven't seen a better win-win situation in a long time.

> @"sraav.9617" said:

>

> > Sorry that I wasn't clear for you. I am not talking about the availability of the service. I'm talking about the expectation that GW2 should be able to run on systems that are antiquated.

>

> What is the expectation? Are you not sure how cloud gaming works? The hardware running the game is not antiquated, but the one accessing it is. Honestly your posts read like an old man shaking his fist at the clouds

No need to be insulting or to assume that you know anything about me. I am well versed in cloud computing. (sigh) It seems that you are the one who cannot see past your blinders.

Regardless, you are unable to understand my point so nevermind.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"sraav.9617" said:

> >

> > > Sorry that I wasn't clear for you. I am not talking about the availability of the service. I'm talking about the expectation that GW2 should be able to run on systems that are antiquated.

> >

> > What is the expectation? Are you not sure how cloud gaming works? The hardware running the game is not antiquated, but the one accessing it is. Honestly your posts read like an old man shaking his fist at the clouds

>

> No need to be insulting or to assume that you know anything about me. I am well versed in cloud computing. (sigh) It seems that you are the one who cannot see past your blinders.

>

> Regardless, you are unable to understand my point so nevermind.

I do have a hard time understanding made up claims of "Why should game developers support 10 year old hardware" when it's not relevant. So hey, we agree

Although my computer does play Guild Wars 2 very very well, I tried playing it on GeForce Now just to see the performance of "server grade" hardware on Guild Wars 2, and I must report that the performance is similar to my desktop, Guild Wars 2 won't run very well (above 60 in cities for example) regardless of the machine you use. Another thing was the lag, I played a lot of different games on GeForce Now and Guild Wars 2 appeared to be the only game that had input lag issues (not really bad, just there), not sure why that happened. I play from EU btw

> @"firedragon.8953" said:

> From my 10 seconds of research it seems like the "cost" is covered by subscription fees of the users and devs pay nothing. I haven't seen a better win-win situation in a long time.

Exactly. GeForce Now has no cost for the publisher/developer. I can understand some of them opting out, like EA, because they are preparing their own stream versions, but I don't think NCSoft has something like that under development so hopefully they will reconsider. They decided to do this opt-in thing AFTER I bought my new mobile phone. I wanted to try Guild Wars 2 on my phone using GeForce Now to see if it is possible to get at the very least login rewards, without logging in on the desktop. My old phone didn't support GeForce Now because it was only Android 4.4.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> Although my computer does play Guild Wars 2 very very well, I tried playing it on GeForce Now just to see the performance of "server grade" hardware on Guild Wars 2, and I must report that the performance is similar to my desktop, Guild Wars 2 won't run very well (above 60 in cities for example) regardless of the machine you use. Another thing was the lag, I played a lot of different games on GeForce Now and Guild Wars 2 appeared to be the only game that had input lag issues (not really bad, just there), not sure why that happened. I play from EU btw

>

> > @"firedragon.8953" said:

> > From my 10 seconds of research it seems like the "cost" is covered by subscription fees of the users and devs pay nothing. I haven't seen a better win-win situation in a long time.

>

> Exactly. GeForce Now has no cost for the publisher/developer. I can understand some of them opting out, like EA, because they are preparing their own stream versions, but I don't think NCSoft has something like that under development so hopefully they will reconsider. They decided to do this opt-in thing AFTER I bought my new mobile phone. I wanted to try Guild Wars 2 on my phone using GeForce Now to see if it is possible to get at the very least login rewards, without logging in on the desktop. My old phone didn't support GeForce Now because it was only Android 4.4.

EA did not opt out btw

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > Although my computer does play Guild Wars 2 very very well, I tried playing it on GeForce Now just to see the performance of "server grade" hardware on Guild Wars 2, and I must report that the performance is similar to my desktop, Guild Wars 2 won't run very well (above 60 in cities for example) regardless of the machine you use. Another thing was the lag, I played a lot of different games on GeForce Now and Guild Wars 2 appeared to be the only game that had input lag issues (not really bad, just there), not sure why that happened. I play from EU btw

> >

> > > @"firedragon.8953" said:

> > > From my 10 seconds of research it seems like the "cost" is covered by subscription fees of the users and devs pay nothing. I haven't seen a better win-win situation in a long time.

> >

> > Exactly. GeForce Now has no cost for the publisher/developer. I can understand some of them opting out, like EA, because they are preparing their own stream versions, but I don't think NCSoft has something like that under development so hopefully they will reconsider. They decided to do this opt-in thing AFTER I bought my new mobile phone. I wanted to try Guild Wars 2 on my phone using GeForce Now to see if it is possible to get at the very least login rewards, without logging in on the desktop. My old phone didn't support GeForce Now because it was only Android 4.4.

>

> EA did not opt out btw

~~Are you sure? I can't find EA on the publisher list:~~

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5026

~~nor I can find many EA games, old or recent~~

edit: I'm blind. you are right EA is in