Armor Mishaps

You didn't list what game mode you're playing, gear is different in PvP than in PvE/WvW. If you're playing PvE or WvW, what you're actually looking for is Grieving (Power, Precision, Ferocity, Condition Damage) from Path of Fire expansion, or even Marshal's (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing Power), which is readily available from the Trading Post.

Bear in mind that Ele has the lowest defense in the game (both health and armor), so you may want to consider taking Celestial trinkets to provide you some defense in the form of Toughness & Vitality so you don't just get 1shot by everything. Grieving+Celestial or Marshal's+Celestial are very good combinations for Ele.

Were you in a zone that level sync'd you down?

Since character page will show your current stats, meaning if you're stood in the starter area where level 2 players begin, your character sheet will show really low stats which will look terrible compared to another build you looked at while you were in a level 80 zone.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> You didn't list what game mode you're playing, gear is different in PvP than in PvE/WvW. If you're playing PvE or WvW, what you're actually looking for is Grieving (Power, Precision, Ferocity, Condition Damage) from Path of Fire expansion, or even Marshal's (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing Power), which is readily available from the Trading Post.

>

> Bear in mind that Ele has the lowest defense in the game (both health and armor), so you may want to consider taking Celestial trinkets to provide you some defense in the form of Toughness & Vitality so you don't just get 1shot by everything. Grieving+Celestial or Marshal's+Celestial are very good combinations for Ele.

I think I might have been looking at things wrong, but why chose Grieving over Dire if my defense is naturally so low? And would I still keep the Berserker Runes over strength ones?

> @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > You didn't list what game mode you're playing, gear is different in PvP than in PvE/WvW. If you're playing PvE or WvW, what you're actually looking for is Grieving (Power, Precision, Ferocity, Condition Damage) from Path of Fire expansion, or even Marshal's (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing Power), which is readily available from the Trading Post.

> >

> > Bear in mind that Ele has the lowest defense in the game (both health and armor), so you may want to consider taking Celestial trinkets to provide you some defense in the form of Toughness & Vitality so you don't just get 1shot by everything. Grieving+Celestial or Marshal's+Celestial are very good combinations for Ele.

>

> I think I might have been looking at things wrong, but why chose Grieving over Dire if my defense is naturally so low? And would I still keep the Berserker Runes over strength ones?

Dire doesn't just increase your Condition Damage, it makes you entirely reliant on it. All Power-based damage is removed, which means that all your skills that don't inflict conditions do very low damage. Even Burning builds use both Power and Condition Damage.

If you want to add in alot of defense you're better off with Carrion+Rabid mix.

Use a build editor like http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

>

> For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

>

> For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> >

> > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> >

> > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

>

> So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

Nah. Just go for big damage and enjoy killing things super fast in open world while sharpening up the skills you need for raids and fractals anyway. Swap a few traits/utilities for more sustain in open world and story before you go switching out gear.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > >

> > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > >

> > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> >

> > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

>

> No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

> > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > >

> > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > >

> > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > >

> > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> >

> > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

>

> So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > >

> > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > >

> > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > >

> > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > >

> > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> >

> > So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

>

> You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

I play Tempest

> > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > > >

> > > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > > >

> > > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> > >

> > > So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

> >

> > You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

>

> I play Tempest

I should also mention I tend to stick to Fire since it’s what I’m most comfortable with.

> > > > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > > > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > > > >

> > > > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> > > >

> > > > So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

> > >

> > > You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

> >

> > I play Tempest

>

> I should also mention I tend to stick to Fire since it’s what I’m most comfortable with.

It's still durable enough. You can get elementals to tank for you as well. Stuff dies before it hits you most of the time anyway. Both earth and arcane provide some minor defense which is all you need besides dodging and sandstorm.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > >

> > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > >

> > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > >

> > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > >

> > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> >

> > So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

>

> You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

While it is correct, he also has to play perfectly, knowing all his skills and choosing the right utilities and traits for any situation.

If not, he will be down in no time with viper gear. Of course lava font can help a lot, but in case of stronger foes, it won't save him.

I was soloing ogre wars with my full offensive new ele (level 40). Between weakness, frequent knockdown and ranged attacks, it was a nightmare to stay alive. And I am just mentioning a low level zone!

Another example is that event in level 60 ascalon zone where you need to defend a town. Half foes are immune to burning, and many veterans do knockdown plus many aoe. Even my weaver was struggling there. I'm new to weaver, true, but it is surely not that easy, quite the opposite.

Shall I start to tell about HoT?

Ele with full offensive stats are going to die a lot while learning and it will take a lot of time.

Tanking gear gives a much better experience, at least for me because I don't like to die at the first mistake.

> @"Aigleborgne.2981" said:

> > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > @"ChampionMasquerade.5283" said:

> > > > > > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > > >

> > > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > > >

> > > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> > >

> > > So Viper and maybe an accessory or two to help me from instantly dying?

> >

> > You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

>

> While it is correct, he also has to play perfectly, knowing all his skills and choosing the right utilities and traits for any situation.

> If not, he will be down in no time with viper gear. Of course lava font can help a lot, but in case of stronger foes, it won't save him.

> I was soloing ogre wars with my full offensive new ele (level 40). Between weakness, frequent knockdown and ranged attacks, it was a nightmare to stay alive. And I am just mentioning a low level zone!

> Another example is that event in level 60 ascalon zone where you need to defend a town. Half foes are immune to burning, and many veterans do knockdown plus many aoe. Even my weaver was struggling there. I'm new to weaver, true, but it is surely not that easy, quite the opposite.

> Shall I start to tell about HoT?

>

> Ele with full offensive stats are going to die a lot while learning and it will take a lot of time.

> Tanking gear gives a much better experience, at least for me because I don't like to die at the first mistake.

So what would your recommendation be?

> > @"Aigleborgne.2981" said:

> > > > > > > For PvE, the optimal gear is **Viper** (Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Expertise) because it offers the best overall damage increase even if it's not the highest Condition Damage it's more than made up for by how Expertise scales the damage of conditions.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For PvP, the optimal gear is **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage). As it provides a nice mix of damage and defence.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > For Open World, **Dire** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Trailblazer** (Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, Expertise) is viable as a way to be really tanky, allowing you to solo tough enemies without much difficulty (Things like HoT HP champions, various Event champions etc) otherwise some more hybrid stat options are viable to deal more damage while having some defence such as **Carrion** (Power, Vitality, Condition Damage) or **Rabid** (Precision, Toughness, Condition Damage)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So for someone that does a mix of mostly PvE and the occasional thing with difficulty (like a raid or a dungeon) would the best course of action be a combination of Viper and Trailblazer?

> > > > >

> > > > > No. Open world trailblazer can be pretty strong, but it's terrible in raids, especially because of toughness (and generally defense from gear that you dont even need) which aggroes a lot of bosses.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You wont be instantly dying to anything, condi weaver already has solid defense in its kit.

> >

> > While it is correct, he also has to play perfectly, knowing all his skills and choosing the right utilities and traits for any situation.

> > If not, he will be down in no time with viper gear. Of course lava font can help a lot, but in case of stronger foes, it won't save him.

> > I was soloing ogre wars with my full offensive new ele (level 40). Between weakness, frequent knockdown and ranged attacks, it was a nightmare to stay alive. And I am just mentioning a low level zone!

> > Another example is that event in level 60 ascalon zone where you need to defend a town. Half foes are immune to burning, and many veterans do knockdown plus many aoe. Even my weaver was struggling there. I'm new to weaver, true, but it is surely not that easy, quite the opposite.

> > Shall I start to tell about HoT?

> >

> > Ele with full offensive stats are going to die a lot while learning and it will take a lot of time.

> > Tanking gear gives a much better experience, at least for me because I don't like to die at the first mistake.

>

> So what would your recommendation be?

Play and figure out stuff on your own. Everyone has different play styles, builds and weapons that work for them. You learn the most through failure and adapting to your surroundings.

> > @"Aigleborgne.2981" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > While it is correct, he also has to play perfectly, knowing all his skills and choosing the right utilities and traits for any situation.

> > If not, he will be down in no time with viper gear. Of course lava font can help a lot, but in case of stronger foes, it won't save him.

> > I was soloing ogre wars with my full offensive new ele (level 40). Between weakness, frequent knockdown and ranged attacks, it was a nightmare to stay alive. And I am just mentioning a low level zone!

> > Another example is that event in level 60 ascalon zone where you need to defend a town. Half foes are immune to burning, and many veterans do knockdown plus many aoe. Even my weaver was struggling there. I'm new to weaver, true, but it is surely not that easy, quite the opposite.

> > Shall I start to tell about HoT?

> >

> > Ele with full offensive stats are going to die a lot while learning and it will take a lot of time.

> > Tanking gear gives a much better experience, at least for me because I don't like to die at the first mistake.

>

I think having some Vitality to increase your hitpoints helps a lot.

Full trailblazer, dire, or apothecary if you want safety.

Marshal when you become more confident.

Then berserker / marauder / viper when you know your skills and traits.

Risk of starting with full dps is to get frustrated and delete character.

Some people like to learn the hard way through, so it's more your call.

Just go marauder. Forget that condis exist and any condi damage you do is just a bonus. You have high hp. You have high power, your crit chance will border 100% and with your fero your crits actually do damage. Marauder is really the best choice. Add pack runes for the lulz and enjoy your 25 stacks of might in every fight.

Core or tempest conditions builds are not very bursty ; long cast, slow condi application + compared to every classes you only have 2 conditions ; yes it seems very feeble and boring.

**Then** you try [fire weaver](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAwilZwmYSsLmJOKXdvbA-zxIY/ohPM6SgwCwZA-e), and magically you overkill pack of mobs in 2 seconds.

If you don't have weaver. Don't go condition.

I'd like to add a few notes to this thread:

Beware that Weaver is much glassier than Tempest. They lose access to the 40% bonus from Protection Tempests have as well as easy access to Frost Aura which is another -10% damage; this is why Tempests can run sets like Harrier's without trouble, because a good Tempest always has 40-50% damage reduction minimum even without any extra defense stats.

(That's not even taking into account all the extra Reflects from Magnetic Aura and CC from Shocking Aura.)

If you have ~15k HP and ~2200 armor on a Tempest and keep Protection up you'll never be 1shot even in Fractals and with some Healing Power you'll always be able to heal all your health up in 1-2 seconds making you virtually immortal if played right.