Replace "crippled" with "hindered"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> > @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> > > @"Gundahar.2765" said:

> > > Honestly, im fed up with this political correctness. Don't use this, don't use that... In this day and age are people offended by everything? I'd have a word for that... Stop making everything offending or racial or anything. Its just stupid.

> >

> > If you look hard enough, everything is racist/sexist/...

>

> It really isn't.

>

> Offense is rooted in the intent, not the means.

>

> Heck, take a look at these forums for example, where any "Bad" word is replaced by "kitten" but posts can still be moderated because the intent of the word "kitten" is still being used offensively (I.e. "You're an absolute kitten") not because the word kitten is inherently bigoted.

>

> It's one of the big failures of this oversensitive culture to not realize this basic principle. But instead they look to try and get everything banned because of some asinine idea that something such as a word is inherently offensive to them.

I have a kitten question for you (I actually used the word kitten there BTW). It took me ages to realize why so many people here used the word. I figured it was some new 1337 speak ha ha. But... what if I actually use the word kitten to insult someone? Personally I despise cats, of all ages. I could think of no more offensive insult than kitten. So... if I call you a kitten (actual kitten, not the word filter)... is it wrong?

> @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > @"Taril.8619" said:

> > > @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> > > > @"Gundahar.2765" said:

> > > > Honestly, im fed up with this political correctness. Don't use this, don't use that... In this day and age are people offended by everything? I'd have a word for that... Stop making everything offending or racial or anything. Its just stupid.

> > >

> > > If you look hard enough, everything is racist/sexist/...

> >

> > It really isn't.

> >

> > Offense is rooted in the intent, not the means.

> >

> > Heck, take a look at these forums for example, where any "Bad" word is replaced by "kitten" but posts can still be moderated because the intent of the word "kitten" is still being used offensively (I.e. "You're an absolute kitten") not because the word kitten is inherently bigoted.

> >

> > It's one of the big failures of this oversensitive culture to not realize this basic principle. But instead they look to try and get everything banned because of some asinine idea that something such as a word is inherently offensive to them.

>

> I have a kitten question for you (I actually used the word kitten there BTW). It took me ages to realize why so many people here used the word. I figured it was some new 1337 speak ha ha. But... what if I actually use the word kitten to insult someone? Personally I despise cats, of all ages. I could think of no more offensive insult than kitten. So... if I call you a kitten (actual kitten, not the word filter)... is it wrong?

If you mean, would your post get moderated? Yes.

Mods look at the intent of the post, not the actual language.

An interesting thought experiment is having 2 posts;

- One where you're calling somone a "Kitten" as a way of insulting them, knowing that if you used a swear word it'd get filtered anyway.

- One where you're calling someone a "Kitten" as a compliment, to suggest that they're cute like a kitten.

The only way to be able to tell these apart, would be the context surrounding them. But in theory, only the first post would get moderated. Though, it'd be interesting to see if mods read around the post enough to be able to not moderate the second post.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > There is nothing wrong with the word.

> > Offensive meanings are implied by context not definition of the word.

> This cannot be stressed enough for any case of words offending people. Words are just that - words. None of them are inherently offensive; what makes them offensive is the context in using them.

>

> Hell, in some contexts, even the n-word is not offensive. And that's probably one of the few words that would be closest to universally accepted as offensive.

Spanish use the n-word :D

> @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> Spanish use the n-word :D

As a spanish myself I can tell you that the only n-word that we say in no offensive way that english find offensive is *n··e··g··r··[4th vocal letter]* (I hope this example of my language doesn't get ban) which **just means** the color black. The other n-word that is usually polemic doens't exist in spanish language at all.

Don't spread misinformation.