How is Thief doing nowadays?

Kiaalta.7469

**I've looked online for a few weeks, searching for information about Thief and how it plays, but the only information I found was very outdated, being a year old or even dating back to launch. I cannot find anything modern about it, and I know ArenaNet probably changes builds in little ways with each big update, so I am hoping you guys have some updated information that you would be willing to pass on to a noob?**

What I know so far is that Thief seems to be an "uphill battle" no matter what you do- again, I cannot find any updated discussions about it. From what I have seen, it lacks healing and damage that other classes have, and people were saying that other classes out-classed Thief in every way.

I was wondering if someone could give me an updated opinion on Thief? Can it manage story mode by itself? Can it solo Hero Point champions? Does it function well in group activities? Can it do some work in PvP or WvW? Is it worth putting the time and effort into leveling it? I want to know what the more experienced players think of it, I'm still new and the only max-level prof I have is Ranger, but should I maybe turn my attention towards Thief?

I already have a bunch of other characters of different classes that I enjoy, and I only have one character slot left (yes, I know you can buy more, but I cannot afford such a luxury at the moment lol) so would it be worth my time to start grinding on Thief? What is it even good for nowadays? I know it's meant for kiting and damage, but can it do that effectively in most content, or has it been nerfed into the floor?

Any and all information would be appreciated from you guys. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope you have a safe and happy Independence Day (for my fellow Americans at least lol) or just a safe and happy weekend in general!

_~Kiaalta_

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> I was wondering if someone could give me an updated opinion on Thief?

Thief is pretty much still the same as always. Good in PvP and roaming in WvW. Bad in WvW zergs. Average in PvE.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> Can it manage story mode by itself?

Yes.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> Can it solo Hero Point champions?

If you make a build for it, yes.

It's not amazing at it by default though, you won't be soloing HoT HP Champs in full 'zerker gear like a Ranger or Reaper can.

But there are some Daredevil builds that can have some decent sustain and CC to pop breakbars while having a bunch of dodges available.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> Does it function well in group activities?

It depends on the group activity.

OW meta's? Not really, it doesn't have great tagging options. It's usable but not amazing.

Instanced PvE? It can do okay, but it's limited in what it provides (Basically just raw damage and little to no utility)

WvW? Not a chance.

PvP? It's good there.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> Can it do some work in PvP or WvW?

It's good for PvP.

WvW it's only really good for roaming.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> Is it worth putting the time and effort into leveling it?

That's fairly subjective to be honest. It'll depend on if you find it fun to play.

Which will likely be based on your preferred content type. If you really like PvP and roaming in WvW, then Thief is great and pretty fun.

If you like to have build versatility (Such as having support builds as well as DPS ones) then Thief is not so good.

Also, its PvE gameplay can be pretty simple (Mostly pressing a single skill over and over) much like Reaper or Guardian.

> @"Kiaalta.7469" said:

> **I've looked online for a few weeks, searching for information about Thief and how it plays, but the only information I found was very outdated, being a year old or even dating back to launch. I cannot find anything modern about it, and I know ArenaNet probably changes builds in little ways with each big update, so I am hoping you guys have some updated information that you would be willing to pass on to a noob?**

>

> What I know so far is that Thief seems to be an "uphill battle" no matter what you do- again, I cannot find any updated discussions about it. From what I have seen, it lacks healing and damage that other classes have, and people were saying that other classes out-classed Thief in every way.

>

> I was wondering if someone could give me an updated opinion on Thief? Can it manage story mode by itself? Can it solo Hero Point champions? Does it function well in group activities? Can it do some work in PvP or WvW? Is it worth putting the time and effort into leveling it? I want to know what the more experienced players think of it, I'm still new and the only max-level prof I have is Ranger, but should I maybe turn my attention towards Thief?

>

> I already have a bunch of other characters of different classes that I enjoy, and I only have one character slot left (yes, I know you can buy more, but I cannot afford such a luxury at the moment lol) so would it be worth my time to start grinding on Thief? What is it even good for nowadays? I know it's meant for kiting and damage, but can it do that effectively in most content, or has it been nerfed into the floor?

>

> Any and all information would be appreciated from you guys. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope you have a safe and happy Independence Day (for my fellow Americans at least lol) or just a safe and happy weekend in general!

>

> _~Kiaalta_

There's some funneling of build choice in spvp for optimal rotation.

Thief is good for any scale fight in WvW with minor adjustments if any.

Take whatever WvW works best to pve with minor adjustments, like a trait or two maybe.

You'll probably have to look up builds for soloing story mode and specific instance bosses but I know I've seen posts on reddit of thieves knocking out story mode.