PvP Overhaul

pah.4931

The great GW2 e-sports experiment has failed. It is time to move on. It is time to move away from this illusion of a hardcore competitive mode and instead **design for fun**. A great majority of players just want to have a good time and have some friendly competition. We didn't need rewards to play Tetris and don't need rewards to play a few PvP matches. Just make PvP fun again! This is what I would like to see happen:

* Combine ranked and unranked, and completely remove leaderboards, titles and rewards, other than small "compensated for your time" rewards (i.e. reward tracks and other things that keep gold/hour close to an average day of PvE). This will greatly reduce the desire to cheat, win trade, hack, smurf in unranked or bot. It would also increase the amount of players queuing to play, which makes matchmaking easier.

* Participation rewards mentioned above should be based on performance (this won't be perfect but it would make botting almost useless). Rewards should be capped (to avoid farming) but I thinnk a decent algorithm can be developed based on kills, damage, healing, caps, decaps, APM, deaths, time spent in combat, etc to reward people doing well and penalize bots/slackers.

* All major rewards should come from tournaments for the best of the best. These should happen more regularly. Their should also be different tournaments for all tiers of players (lower tiers have lower rewards). There should be occasional special events as well.

* Utilizing as much existing assets as possible, try to create more than one type of game/map -- including more than 5v5 maps. I'd like to see at least a capture the flag map and a "click to capture" map (with more nodes and more people) instead of stand in circle to capture. I know the **one and only** part-time dev at anet still working on PvP is probably breaking out into flop sweats at this request ... but it needs to be done. The inability to create more interesting maps/modes has been the single biggest nail in the coffin. Variety is the spice of life!

> @"skillze.7689" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > Great idea for sure, unfortunately a small handful of placeholder traits cant seem to be reworked in how long?

>

> Can you cry a little louder about you're nerf's I cant hear you over all the bot noise!

>

>

Yeah what am I saying lol the significant and frequent changes are top notch, my mistake, maybe if we all believe hard enough itl make it true right?

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > @"skillze.7689" said:

> > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > Great idea for sure, unfortunately a small handful of placeholder traits cant seem to be reworked in how long?

> >

> > Can you cry a little louder about you're nerf's I cant hear you over all the bot noise!

> >

> >

>

> Yeah what am I saying lol the significant and frequent changes are top notch, my mistake, maybe if we all believe hard enough itl make it true right?

I hate to be the one to disappoint you but they wont be changing the placeholder traits as you call it, only time they will be changed is if they need to re-evaluate them for pve!

> @"skillze.7689" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > @"skillze.7689" said:

> > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > Great idea for sure, unfortunately a small handful of placeholder traits cant seem to be reworked in how long?

> > >

> > > Can you cry a little louder about you're nerf's I cant hear you over all the bot noise!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yeah what am I saying lol the significant and frequent changes are top notch, my mistake, maybe if we all believe hard enough itl make it true right?

>

> I hate to be the one to disappoint you but they wont be changing the placeholder traits as you call it, only time they will be changed is if they need to re-evaluate them for pve!

Yeah u dont have to tell me, I suspect they will never be changed, kinda my point.

> @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> Stop reading at pvp shouldnt have rewards

That's too bad. Because the very next line item is about rewards. lol

You MUST-GET SHINIES-FOR-EVERY-MINUTE-I-SPEND-IN-GAME people are what killed this entire mode and also the cause of the entire mobile dumpster fire trend that is gaming. So... thanks!

Needing to be given stuff for PvP is why PvP is bad right now in almost every major MMO. Here is the cycle. Developers make PvP in their game. They then incentivize PvP participation with shinies. Players do everything they can do get as much reward for as little effort (bot, hack, win trade) ... People who aren't interested in any of that bullshit (the vast majority) quit because it's stupid as fuck. Remaining players (most of which don't even like the game, they just want to grow their e-peen) bitch at developer for ruining PvP and go to new game for new shinies.

Make PvP fun. This game is already stupid easy to gear. And to PvP it is free. What do you NEED to get from a PvP match other than the thrill of competition and fun? I guess I am the minority. Having played real sports my whole life, I enjoy the fun of a game ... not what I get out of it. You are probably the kind of guy who trades all the best players in Madden Football to one team, dominates the AI, and actually enjoys it. You are probably the type of player who wants to out-gear your opponents and "pwn noobs" rather than compete against equal opponents.

Well ... you got what you wanted. A terrible, terrible pvp mode where rewards are more important than ... anything else. COOL!