Return Darkhaven's Host Server status

Jeknar.6184

> @XenesisII.1540 said:

> It sucks for lower tier servers, but frankly your communities were dying before links, and they weren't going to grow unless you managed to attract a bandwagon. I'm sorry, it's harsh, but's it's reality.

Not all were. I can't speak for other servers but FC's community was as strong as ever. You seem to be mistaking whether a community is alive or not with the size of a community. Just because a community may have been smaller, doesn't make it any more 'dead' than another, higher population one. I know quite a few who actually preferred the smaller size since it felt more close-knit, as opposed to some of the larger servers where you can begin to feel like you are simply a cog in the machine, a replaceable part, as opposed to being wanted for who you are.

You claim it is the harsh reality but you presume too much and really cannot speak for every server. So yes, what you said was harsh, but reality? Not by a long shot.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Clemy.8290 said:

> Not all were. I can't speak for other servers but FC's community was as strong as ever. You seem to be mistaking whether a community is alive or not with the size of a community. Just because a community may have been smaller, doesn't make it any more 'dead' than another, higher population one. I know quite a few who actually preferred the smaller size since it felt more close-knit, as opposed to some of the larger servers where you can begin to feel like you are simply a cog in the machine, a replaceable part, as opposed to being wanted for who you are.

>

> You claim it is the harsh reality but you presume too much and really cannot speak for every server. So yes, what you said was harsh, but reality? Not by a long shot.

>

That's great for FC. You're right on whether a community is alive or not does not depend on it's size, just like it doesn't depend on it's name either. It's about the players in it keeping it alive. I was on a mid tier server when links happened, after HoT had dropped and decimated the wvw community, I saw the before and after changes, whether that server had their name first(and actually they did) wouldn't have mattered on the community surviving and thriving, that's my point, the name change will make no difference, it's the players willing and deciding to stick together as a community.

> @XenesisII.1540 said:

> That's great for FC. You're right on whether a community is alive or not does not depend on it's size, just like it doesn't depend on it's name either. It's about the players in it keeping it alive. I was on a mid tier server when links happened, after HoT had dropped and decimated the wvw community, I saw the before and after changes, whether that server had their name first(and actually they did) wouldn't have mattered on the community surviving and thriving, that's my point, the name change will make no difference, it's the players willing and deciding to stick together as a community.

Yes and no. Contrary to what some believe, server pride still was a thing (and still is to an extent). Fighting for a server was what sold wvw to a good few people and kept them playing (baring in mind I can only speak from personal experience and all of that is on FC). The name of the server you had been fighting for for years suddenly disappearing and being more or less completely replaced by another server's removed a key reason why they play, resulting in a deterioration of the 'guest' servers communities.

Now, of course, that is not the only reason, and I could probably go on for pages about it, but there is good reason why people believe that server names would make a difference to their community. That being said, would it restore the communities that suffered because of it? Maybe, maybe not. That boat may already have sailed. But when the only reason that is given by anet for the removal of 12 server's very identities is that it may make things very very slightly more confusing ( and I honestly don't think it would) then it is small wonder that people keep wanting their server's name back.

> @JoEWas.1409 said:

> If they want to have 12 host servers, why don't they bring down the total servers to 12, this could help intra-server communities grow again. There are ways it could be done.

Their response will likely be cause with the server links they can "help to balance" population discrepances... We can just look at T1 or T4 NA and see that it is working wonders.

/s

> @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > It is based on play hours and populations. Crystal Desert has a higher population and play hours than Darkhaven and that is why they are a host world and Darkhaven isn't.

> >

> > Would it be possible to have it show the linked server instead of the host server above the player model only if they are on that server of course. :open_mouth:

> >

> > It would give the linked servers a sense that they matter and are actually shown in game and not just as the host server.

>

> We have no plans for this at this time. We don't want there to be confusion on what team you are on or who you are fighting against.

However, for someone on a guest server, like I am on GoM, we are always confused about who we are representing, especially right after our hosts change. We see the broadcasts on our screen "Dragonbrand has taken Stoic Rampart", and we think "oh crud!" until we realize that DB is our host, not our enemy. To that end, a permanent linking or merge would really help.

Sooner or later their stagnant nature towards wvw will ultimately end the game mode as we know it, it's not the games focus and ANet is slow with it. Maybe by that point they will just implement round robin joining of maps, then maybe all sides will be equal during a match up.

> @aandiarie.7195 said:

> Maybe we should go back to the old point system and get rid of links and stop worrying about stuff being "fair" maybe we tried to hard.

I agree forget the "fair" Anet it seems doesn't understand the word what with thier toxic condi and 3 servers v 1 its a shambles put it back the way it was I'm up for that.

> @Mira.4906 said:

> DH host in 2018

> #thedream

> ok, who programed hashtag as bold in these forums, come on its 2017 everyone uses twitter hashtags some how?

_Vanilla Forums_ (the engine for these forums) uses _Markdown_ syntax, which is described in the link to Wikipedia that's below the edit box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown, if you can't find it.

Markdown predates twitter by a couple years & uses `#` for HTML headers, a single hashtag for Header 1, two for Header 2, etc. Like many languages, you can use the `\` to "escape" the language's syntax,

e.g. `\#thedream`renders as

\#thedream

tl;dr prefix your hashtag with a backslash to avoid the forums thinking you meant to create a header.

> @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > It is based on play hours and populations. Crystal Desert has a higher population and play hours than Darkhaven and that is why they are a host world and Darkhaven isn't.

> >

> > Would it be possible to have it show the linked server instead of the host server above the player model only if they are on that server of course. :open_mouth:

> >

> > It would give the linked servers a sense that they matter and are actually shown in game and not just as the host server.

>

> We have no plans for this at this time. We don't want there to be confusion on what team you are on or who you are fighting against.

I don't think anyone would be confused. Red kinda indicates enemy, regardless of name.

> @cobbah.3102 said:

> > @aandiarie.7195 said:

> > Maybe we should go back to the old point system and get rid of links and stop worrying about stuff being "fair" maybe we tried to hard.

>

> I agree forget the "fair" Anet it seems doesn't understand the word what with thier toxic condi and 3 servers v 1 its a shambles put it back the way it was I'm up for that.

There is no "fair" when the Full threshold is nowhere close of the activity of the Top server. But honestly, returning the Dead T8 is just as bad as this. I've been down there for 2 years and I know it's not pretty. Even in the current T4 sometimes I feel the map is empty. I can only imagine what would be a Matchup between AR/ET/IoJ currently. Problably 5 people of each server running in circles around EBG while the borderlands are empty. Like the "good ole days".

> @Reverence.6915 said:

> If DH was visible in the SBI linking at all I’d consider supporting the move. Every time I tag up (2-3 times a week), DH would make up less than 1/4 of the squad. Usually just 1 or 2 people in a squad of 20-30 people.

>

> Considering the position of SBI on the ladder, you want... host status?

I stumble in Dh people much more often than on SBI. Granted, I don't run with squads unless I am extremely bored.

There are times of the day when the only tagged person is from Dh and SBI pugs are nowhere to be found. Yes, most of Dh NA is problably long gone (Although I can still name quite a few NA guilds who still run regularly) but Dh is definetely out there and in much more numbers than you claim.

In the other hand, when I'm on my alt on BP, all I see are BP tags and guilds running. CD is nowhere to be found outside the ocasional [VII] raid. I can't remember the last time I saw a queue on my alt for the past link.

And for SBI position in the ladder, Have you thought about questioning your own server? There is a certain trio of guilds in SBI that sometimes have a map queued for themselves but the only thing we own in that map are 2 camps and a paper spawn tower.

> @Vermillion.4061 said:

> 7. Yak's Bend - Tier 3 NA 79643

> 8. Seafarer's Rest - Tier 3 EU 79022

> 9. Baruch Bay [sP] - Tier 1 EU 78766

> 10. Desolation - Tier 3 EU 76873

> 11. Stormbluff Isle - Tier 4 NA 75018

> 12. Vabbi - Tier 2 EU 72587

> 13. Henge of Denravi - Tier 3 NA 72342

> 14. Maguuma - Tier 1 NA 71674

> 15. Dragonbrand - Tier 1 NA 70841

> 16. Drakkar Lake [DE] - Tier 4 EU 70152

> 17. Northern Shiverpeaks - Tier 2 NA 69749

> 18. Augury Rock [FR] - Tier 5 EU 67105

> 19. Tarnished Coast - Tier 4 NA 66326

> 20. Sea of Sorrows - Tier 2 NA 65340

> 21. Kodash [DE] - Tier 5 EU 64312

> 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> That's activity, kills+deaths

>

> Give back DH's host status.

I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > That's activity, kills+deaths

> >

> > Give back DH's host status.

>

> I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

>

When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

> @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > >

> > > Give back DH's host status.

> >

> > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> >

>

> When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

Fair statement, but then, how do you account for Mag? I mean, by that account, mag should be all about the PPT as well?

> @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > >

> > > Give back DH's host status.

> >

> > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> >

>

> When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

And there are at least 4 other examples that would appear to contradict what you are noting.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > > >

> > > > Give back DH's host status.

> > >

> > > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> > >

> >

> > When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

>

> And there are at least 4 other examples that would appear to contradict what you are noting.

Like Crystal Desert? xD Clearly they map hop for Siege Wars 2 PPT a lot... /sarcasm

What we're really seeing in that list is the population sizes of each team put together with links by Anet.

> @Chaba.5410 said:

> > > @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > > > >

> > > > > Give back DH's host status.

> > > >

> > > > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> > > >

> > >

> > > When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

> >

> > And there are at least 4 other examples that would appear to contradict what you are noting.

>

> Like Crystal Desert? xD Clearly they map hop for Siege Wars 2 PPT a lot... /sarcasm

>

> What we're really seeing in that list is the population sizes of each team put together with links by Anet.

Agreed Chaba.

My original quote was relating to the conclusions someone made based on that list.

I think most of that data listed is too vague to truly relate it to any actual outcome or conclusion.

> @Chaba.5410 said:

> > > @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > > > >

> > > > > Give back DH's host status.

> > > >

> > > > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> > > >

> > >

> > > When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

> >

> > And there are at least 4 other examples that would appear to contradict what you are noting.

>

> Like Crystal Desert? xD Clearly they map hop for Siege Wars 2 PPT a lot... /sarcasm

>

> What we're really seeing in that list is the population sizes of each team put together with links by Anet.

If Crystal Desert PPT'ed, we wouldn't be last place Tier 4. :+1:

> @"Ni In.6578" said:

> > @Chaba.5410 said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @Sylvyn.4750 said:

> > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > @Vermillion.4061 said:

> > > > > > 22. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 64158

> > > > > > 23. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 3 NA 61954

> > > > > > 24. Jade Quarry - Tier 2 NA 61871

> > > > > > 25. Elona Reach [DE] - Tier 5 EU 61500

> > > > > > 26. Crystal Desert - Tier 4 NA 58948

> > > > > > Top 6 are EU, but they do get an 8-9 hour headstart

> > > > > > That's activity, kills+deaths

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Give back DH's host status.

> > > > >

> > > > > I guess being careful what numbers people look at: by these, BG is the 5th LEAST active server(across NA AND EU).

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > When you map blob to play Siege Wars 2 for the PPT, you don't end up with a lot of kills/deaths...

> > >

> > > And there are at least 4 other examples that would appear to contradict what you are noting.

> >

> > Like Crystal Desert? xD Clearly they map hop for Siege Wars 2 PPT a lot... /sarcasm

> >

> > What we're really seeing in that list is the population sizes of each team put together with links by Anet.

>

> If Crystal Desert PPT'ed, we wouldn't be last place Tier 4. :+1:

Nah, that only mean the other servers PPT harder than you. Ecks Dee

> In the other hand, when I'm on my alt on BP, all I see are BP tags and guilds running. CD is nowhere to be found outside the ocasional [VII] raid. I can't remember the last time I saw a queue on my alt for the past link.

[VII] will not confirm nor deny these allegations. but "occasional" raiding is demeaning. We prefer the term, "Situationally" raiding. thank you, god bless anet.