In memory of Trahearne - [Merged]

Trahearne reminds me of an autistic who basically is a supportive friend, but doesn't know how to put the "emotional" nuance into their voice that neurotypicals expect.

Fibharr is powerful, skilled and charismatic ... but he's also the most egotistical snot-brain I've ever met.

The Gear War band have two claims to fame. They built an impressive war-engine and they got so drunk that they lost it. *straight face*

You deserve some well earned rest, my friend.

Your instincts have proven reliable so far.

Victory. The first of many, with allies like you beside me.

Welcome back. I'm glad you're safe.

Well done, Commander.

I'm glad that it's just you and me.

I have your back! Well done!

You can do this!

Your will is remarkable commander.

Good to see you.

Thank you.

What's on your mind?

I'll stand with you.

If I can be of service say the word

The "shatter" kind of cut scene after euthanizing Trahearne and honoring his sacrifice made me believe Trahearne was scared as about being killed. Yet out of everyone there he asked the commander to kill him. Because he trusted the commander the most to make the blow as quick as possible. Plus the commander made him feel calm about what he was supposed to do.

Some of y'all see Trahearne as a monotonous salad who stole your story.

I saw him as an autistic friend who ended up in a position he was reluctant to take. But ended up accepting when he realized it was a way of getting closer to his Wyld Hunt. An autistic friend who went through mental, emotional and physical torture and instead of thinking 'well, I deserve to go on a holiday now to recover from all that.' He sacrificed himself to save the planet.

Before anyone says not every monotonous person is autistic. I'm not saying that he's autistic. I'm saying I headcanon him that way. Because of his monotone voice, his special interest of Orr and his full dedication to the subject, and his absolute bluntness. Like his straight face when he insults people leads me to believe that Trahearne was literally just sharing the facts as he saw them, and didn't think he was saying anything particularly offensive.

I miss you Trahearne.

I hated him in the core GW2 story, he was boring as all get out. The fact that he and Destiny's Edge just stood on the deck of the airship doing nothing while you did all the work against Zhaitan cemented that. What happened in Heart of Thorns was at least somewhat more emotional than absolutely anything that happened before.

> @"vier.1327" said:

> He did the paperwork of the Pact, imagine you have to do it by yourself to invade Or in the personal story.

To be honest...

I'd probably end up just writing "Haha, commander go brrrr" on all the paperwork...

That's basically what happens anyway. Who can fault that when the result is a dead Elder Dragon...

> @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> I miss you Trahearne.

I miss what he **COULD** have been.

He had a lot of potential as a character, but was marred by the terrible writing of the 60+ PS which left him in a position where he was not at all used well, leading to him being largely disliked and thus being essentially deleted from the game until the end of HoT (He had a few cameo appearances in LS2 but that was it and it was basically just for a single piece of dialogue each time).

His character was used better post-death when you meet him again while reforging (Regrowing?) the legendary sword Saladbowl. But alas, that's a bit too late, what with him being dead and all (Also it's not even him, it's a memory from the sword itself...) and really didn't amount to much of his potential.

But yeah, he could have been a fantastic character. He was not portrayed as some amazing super flawless character, his legendary sword wasn't ridiculously OP (Unlike Sohothin which Rytlock still is allowed to have despite being an utter tool and incapable of using it even 0.0000001% as effectively as the commander), he wasn't inherently in a position of power (Unlike Rytlock who's a Tribune and can apparently ask Smodur to come visit us... Or Taimi who has influence by being Zojja's apprentice... Or basically any other member of Destiny's Edge sans maybe Caithe)

He could have been a great character to develop alongside the player character, having to work around things like people in charge not caring about what we have to say (Like literally what was the basis of the first quest in the Orr chain, where no-one would listen to us about the invasion from Orr, except that one lass on the beach).

But instead it was just "lul now he's a Marshal" and then "lul now you're a Commander" which meant that "lul, now everyone obeys your orders without question!" which not only just makes no sense at all in the story (Going from everyone laughing at the military advice from a scholar and a no-name adventurer who literally only just joined an Order like 5 minutes ago and has a collective experience of 1 actual mission... To being in charge of basically everyone with no resistance at all for no reason), but also completely stifles any ability to create meaningful characterization (Such as, you know... Taking even 2 seconds to acclimatize to a new role after having complained to the Pale Tree about not being a tactician...)

> @"vier.1327" said:

> He did the paperwork of the Pact, imagine you have to do it by yourself to invade Or in the personal story.

>

> He must be consider as a hero.

I know right. It would be the same as doing a really long heart where they expect me to run around and collect paper documents, except the heart bar is ten times longer

> @"Jagblade.4627" said:

> I hated him in the core GW2 story, he was boring as all get out. The fact that he and Destiny's Edge just stood on the deck of the airship doing nothing while you did all the work against Zhaitan cemented that. What happened in Heart of Thorns was at least somewhat more emotional than absolutely anything that happened before.

Not exactly. He was very wiped out from the giant mental and physical wipe that purifying elder dragon corruption did on him. So he literally could not do anything to help kill Zhaitan. He was pretty much out of the fight in the same way anyone too injured to fight would be. He wasn't there for the Zhaitan fight because of that.

> @"Jagblade.4627" said:

> I hated him in the core GW2 story, he was boring as all get out. The fact that he and Destiny's Edge just stood on the deck of the airship doing nothing while you did all the work against Zhaitan cemented that.

Take notes, because that is what MMO "team work" is all about. You do all the work, everyone gets the same rewards and credit. Hmph.

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> > @"vier.1327" said:

> > He did the paperwork of the Pact, imagine you have to do it by yourself to invade Or in the personal story.

>

> To be honest...

>

> I'd probably end up just writing "Haha, commander go brrrr" on all the paperwork...

Which is why I'm surprised he didn't give me the paper work lol. But again he is a scholar not a fighter. I mean lol

this is Trahearne fighting a risen bull.

>

> That's basically what happens anyway. Who can fault that when the result is a dead Elder Dragon...

>

> > @"Katelynn.6593" said:

> > I miss you Trahearne.

>

> I miss what he **COULD** have been.

>

> He had a lot of potential as a character, but was marred by the terrible writing of the 60+ PS which left him in a position where he was not at all used well, leading to him being largely disliked and thus being essentially deleted from the game until the end of HoT (He had a few cameo appearances in LS2 but that was it and it was basically just for a single piece of dialogue each time).

>

> His character was used better post-death when you meet him again while reforging (Regrowing?) the legendary sword Saladbowl. But alas, that's a bit too late, what with him being dead and all (Also it's not even him, it's a memory from the sword itself...) and really didn't amount to much of his potential.

>

> But yeah, he could have been a fantastic character. He was not portrayed as some amazing super flawless character, his legendary sword wasn't ridiculously OP (Unlike Sohothin which Rytlock still is allowed to have despite being an utter tool and incapable of using it even 0.0000001% as effectively as the commander), he wasn't inherently in a position of power (Unlike Rytlock who's a Tribune and can apparently ask Smodur to come visit us... Or Taimi who has influence by being Zojja's apprentice... Or basically any other member of Destiny's Edge sans maybe Caithe)

>

> He could have been a great character to develop alongside the player character, having to work around things like people in charge not caring about what we have to say (Like literally what was the basis of the first quest in the Orr chain, where no-one would listen to us about the invasion from Orr, except that one lass on the beach).

>

> But instead it was just "lul now he's a Marshal" and then "lul now you're a Commander" which meant that "lul, now everyone obeys your orders without question!" which not only just makes no sense at all in the story (Going from everyone laughing at the military advice from a scholar and a no-name adventurer who literally only just joined an Order like 5 minutes ago and has a collective experience of 1 actual mission... To being in charge of basically everyone with no resistance at all for no reason), but also completely stifles any ability to create meaningful characterization (Such as, you know... Taking even 2 seconds to acclimatize to a new role after having complained to the Pale Tree about not being a tactician...)

Yeah like the writing basically said Trahearne get your ass into the general position. It's the only way for you to complete your Wyld Hunt.

Trahearne: Ummm but ...

The pale tree: Yup ya got this Trahearne

But once he was pressured into the position of General he just fully embraced it because it was what it was. And part of embracing that is giving commands.

The rate at which we became commander and he becomes makes no sense.

> @"Tsakhi.8124" said:

> I liked Trahearne, personally. I could empathize with him for sure. I thought he was a sweetheart in a timid shell. And I'm sorry, but when I heard him give that speech in Orr in "Light in the Darkness", my heart skipped a beat. That was really hot in my opinion. XD

Vision Trahearne: Defenders of Tyria!

Vision Trahearne: When Zhaitan rose from slumber, the dragon found a long-dead nation and claimed it.

Vision Trahearne: The dragon expected the rest of Tyria to be as easily conquered. But we live, and we breathe, and we fight!

Vision Trahearne: All races, all orders, and all paths of life stand against Zhaitan.

Vision Trahearne: The dragon is a fearsome enemy. It wants nothing more than to paralyze us with doubt.

Vision Trahearne: But I tell you this—we are not afraid! We will never kneel!

Vision Trahearne: Do you feel that? The dragon hears us![3]

Vision Trahearne: To Arah, and victory!

Trahearne: Is this a vision of the future? Mother, I do not understand. I'm no general.[4]

I thought his being awkward, blunt (and not realizing when he's unintentionally insulting), and talking in a stilted sort of way made perfect sense. (Or maybe that's just me, because I quite like his voice. I find it rather soothing.) He's been alone for most of his life *studying Orr*. We all know just how depressing and dangerous that land is. Imagine studying it for a living...and knowing his Wyld Hunt, an insistent calling that never sleeps, is to *somehow* cleanse that forsaken land. It's impossible. He's been studying it for years with barely any progress save advanced knowledge of Orrian battle tactics and history. He's not used to being around normal people and civilization - and when he is, ordinary people are disturbed and unsettled by his work and see him as a pariah no matter how helpful he is: "Trahearne, the necromancer? Comes through here every few months on the way to Orr. That guy creeps me out."

He has few friends: your Order mentor, Tegwen, and maybe Caithe (some friend!)...aaaand that's it. *His own people* think he's insane because of his "impossible" Wyld Hunt, which they dismiss, laugh at, and mock.

Little wonder he's so depressed and withdrawn until we come along. My guess is he threw himself into the role of Pact Marshal, after a few initial hesitations, because *finally*, he had a sliver of hope that his Wyld Hunt (and yours, if you're sylvari) might actually be possible.

...and I've never understood why people say he steals your spotlight. I never found any instance of that, even looking at the dialogue before they changed it way back in 2014 or somewhere around there. Am I just missing something, or...? (I *will* say that I dearly wish he'd been introduced into the story a little more naturally - and earlier on - if you're playing a non-sylvari race. Sylvari already know him when they meet again on Claw Island. Everybody else gets him unceremoniously dropped into their story like a rock into a still pond. That's probably where a lot of the resentment comes from...)

(On a different note, I think this topic should probably go in the "lore" section. I'm not sure how to ask a mod to move it, though.)

In his defence he's a scholar not a fighter.

Video of Trahearne trying to help.

This dude laughing. Okay it was pretty funny in an endearing kind of way. But he tried his best okay. He tried. Which makes it even more meaningful that he still wants to help out because most people who aren't fighters wouldn't want to join those fights but he does.

Trahearne struggling to fight.

*Low key judging but feeling sorry for my boy Trahearne*

Getting to use Caladbolg on my Sylvari character

Yeah I see the problem. This sword is a hunk of junk. A pile of bile. A scrap of crap. I don't know why anyone would want this sword. I can see why Trahearne is struggling to kill anything. Just summon your minions Trahearne.

I love Trahearne. Even his weaknesses make him endearing.