Soulbeast vs. Core Questions

PeerlessArch.6547

So, I've looked at all the builds for just a straight up Power Longbow build.

Everyone says Soulbeast is the way to go because of the merging with pet extra dmg boost. So I was wondering what the tradeoff would be for going Core Power LB instead.

I've been messing around on the GW2 Build Editor between two builds and for the sake of brevity, I'll just focus on dmg stats. Also note this is for WvW and lets take into consideration no need for sustain or escapability -- just from a pure damage standpoint (Side note: Core actually has 2.4k more health).

**Soulbeast**

Power: 2533

Crit: 63.7%

Feroc: 220%

**Core**

Power: 2412

Crit: 65.5%

Feroc: 219%

Am I missing something here? Is soulbeast THAT much better with damage with only a 121 power difference and a 1% boost in Ferocity?

Hello,

What you are missing is that while merged damage modifiers affect you instead of your pet including sic'em.

Power Core is strong but you have to be really good because you have to burst with your pet around the same time. It's much harder than Soulbeast.

I don't see links to your build but just with Beastmastery and Soulbeast you get 10% damage increase from Loud Whistle, 7% damage increase while having Fury from Furious Strength, 5% damage increase from interrupts from Twice as Vicious, and another 10% damage increase from Oppressive Superiority. All that plus 25% from sic'em adds a lot of damage.

However, for pure burst, nothing will beat landing a full round of one wolf pack. It's what still lets rangers kill inexperienced players with one rapid fire.

Here are the builds but I think I got my answer. Thanks for all that!

**[CORE ]**(http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POQAMlFwAZdsNGKO0L2n1R8G-zVJYiRBfZUbCURBY7BJM2AXyB-w)

**[sB]**(http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PORAMlZwAZdsIGKO0X7P7S+2BA-zVRYBBLGFsyo2EoiCQqB-w)

It seems there is a lot of extra damage that just doesn't show up in the build editor. I was thinking that even with SicEm, the 40% for core vs. the 25% with SB (wvw mode) was enough to make up for it, but it looks like its still more with all the SB traits/synergies.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"PeerlessArch.6547" said:

> It seems there is a lot of extra damage that just doesn't show up in the build editor. I was thinking that even with SicEm, the 40% for core vs. the 25% with SB (wvw mode) was enough to make up for it, but it looks like its still more with all the SB traits/synergies.

Pretty sure you're still missing the point. The build editor does not account for the boosted stats you receive as a soulbeast when you merge with your pet. Merging with a Ferocious archetype pet, for instance, gives you 200 more power and 100 more ferocity. That's where the soulbeast damage advantage comes from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those rangers I have seen going core are usually trappers, due to all the trait lines needed for the maximum damage capacity of the traps. There is one other reason for ranger's to use Core...well two. The first one is to be a nuisance to making WvW commanders quip about how useless the class is, and the second one is a closely guarded secret that even I won't tell you. :) However if you do figure it out, you too will be keeping it a secret.