[Suggestion] The LFG Tool Should Filter Full Maps

Zoe.8310

Nope you are not alone with this. There was huge discussion a while ago on reddit with the suggestion of adding a symbol to the lfg which would show the map status. Green for map is open, orange for close to hard cap and red with the map being on hard cap. In the same discussion it was talked about adding a map system like in gw1 to have an alternative to taxi people, as the taxi system can be quite frustrating as well.

Especially with Halloween you can see how frustrating this in general is. Hundreds of squad offers on lfg but every one of them is full.

> @Mewcifer.5198 said:

> Honestly, outside of this time of year, there really isn't that much of a problem with full maps and LFG.

This time of year it grows to enormous proportions, but the rest of the year this is still a problem, depending on the kind of content you do. There are plenty of commanders who don't bother removing their LFG when the map is full. They might also not always be aware their map is full to begin with. The LFG system filtering this out is an excellent idea. Anyone browsing the LFG panel will know which squads not to bother with because the map is full, or choose to join anyway in the hopes of being able to get in anyway after a few tries. I've come across plenty of bounty LFG's I tried to join but their map was full. It happens with HoT metas as well. If there are too many of them you might miss your chance at a timed meta because you've wasted too much time trying to join squads you didn't know were on full maps.

So yes, this is a year round problem. It's just much more obvious during Halloween, but that is the only difference.

> @Kyban.4031 said:

> The squad instance would be the one with the commander in it, so it would be nice to have a marker on the commander in the squad ui so we know who to join on to get into the right map as well.

That is already there. The player icons you see in the squad UI, the one with the commander has the tag in the top left corner. It's not very noticeable, though, and easy to miss while browsing the squad for the commander to join. I usually try to find a squad with a group 2 that holds the commander, so he's listed apart from everyone else in the UI and is easy to spt and join on. I'm of the opinion that commanders who don't do this automatically aren't as seasoned as I prefer my commanders to be anyway. ;)

> @TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

> That is already there. The player icons you see in the squad UI, the one with the commander has the tag in the top left corner. It's not very noticeable, though, and easy to miss while browsing the squad for the commander to join. I usually try to find a squad with a group 2 that holds the commander, so he's listed apart from everyone else in the UI and is easy to spt and join on. I'm of the opinion that commanders who don't do this automatically aren't as seasoned as I prefer my commanders to be anyway. ;)

Hmm, I didn't think that showed up if you were in a different instance, maybe it's buggy, I haven't seen that in a while. Making it more noticeable would be nice in any case. :)

> @Daddicus.6128 said:

> Maybe squads which have people on other maps should have a timer on the "missing" people: auto-eject them after a reasonable time (5 or 10 minutes?). A note could be sent to the commander as well, so the auto-eject could be over-ridden.

I like the Idea but for some squads it would be only anyoning. If you think of "Multi"-loot/farm/etc. maps or Guild Mission and they would need to over-ridden many players every 5-10 min.

Another porblem is that a squad dont need a commander and so its hard to find someone that can be select to look if the map is full.

And if someone leave the map the commander need to open lfg again and again.

I wasted a lot of time last night trying to find a squad in a map that wasn't full. I was stuck in a map where one of the bosses was running around loose and I couldn't get anything done on my own. I got frustrated and gave up for the night. Of course, this isn't the only map or time of year this sort of thing happens. I would love to see any and all of the solutions in this thread implemented.

• 6 months later...

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> Bumping to get some more eyes on this idea!

You have done this to quite a number of threads, so I suspect you think that "being at the top of the forums", or "seen by a lot of people" is going to help get your idea addressed by ANet.

This is not true. Posting ideas is great, and your original comments are usually good, and well described: you don't only explain the issue, but you explain why changing it would make the game more fun and interesting for you.

Bumping your threads with nothing new just wastes time. It doesn't make ANet any more likely to implement it, or whatever.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

>

> You have done this to quite a number of threads, so I suspect you think that "being at the top of the forums", or "seen by a lot of people" is going to help get your idea addressed by ANet.

>

> This is not true. Posting ideas is great, and your original comments are usually good, and well described: you don't only explain the issue, but you explain why changing it would make the game more fun and interesting for you.

>

> Bumping your threads with nothing new just wastes time. It doesn't make ANet any more likely to implement it, or whatever.

Yeah, that is very good feedback. My apologies :-(

And I don't get it. Squads can be on multiple maps, so what should a single icon tell you? Apparently, checking for full maps is costy, or they would have already disabled the "Join in Xyz" command in the context menu of a player icon, or give it an immediate red border / half opaque icon in the player list or something, which is what I'd prefer much more than a questionable LFG icon.

> @"Ray Koopa.2354" said:

> And I don't get it. Squads can be on multiple maps, so what should a single icon tell you? Apparently, checking for full maps is costy, or they would have already disabled the "Join in Xyz" command in the context menu of a player icon, or give it an immediate red border / half opaque icon in the player list or something, which is what I'd prefer much more than a questionable LFG icon.

It is more that it can't ever be accurate: if it shows "available" because there is one slot, and ten people try and join at the "same time", nine of them are going to be annoyed because the system lied to them, no?

(The definition of "same time" is, like any distributed system, complicated. In this case the window for "same time" is at least the sum of time to transmit the information on fullness to the client, update the display, and the user to react to it, which is going to be above 50ms for most players, plenty enough for them to notice this.)