Mad Kings Tower - under-tuned

Nutshel.7264

As title says I think the tower is under-tuned - I can grab all 3 boxes on the way and sill have solid 10-15 sec at the top. There really is no feel of urgency or danger. It is not challenging and since it doesn't change year after year it gets super boring. I suggest increasing speed of "lava" and preferably doubling or tripling the height of the tower. Could use some new gimmick in it as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> I thought it should be impossible to grab a chest as it makes othes platforms ghostly

> (Aka you'll fall through them)

Not sure what you mean. But I can grab all 3 chests on the way just fine.

This is not joke topic though. JPs are not for everybody and they shouldn't be either. Just like rest of the game got activities that some like some not. You don't see me crying for fractals nerf just because I can do max lvl 16 (if that). Why should these that like difficult JP be denied that? Sure leave this ez mode version for these that can't deal with more difficult ones. But give the rest of us some challange!

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> I heard there's 3. I've only seen 1.

Two of the chests are impossible to miss, though grabbing the first one does require an extra jump and makes it harder to get through the first half. The other obvious one is on the gear when you jump down around the midpoint of the puzzle.

I have no idea where the last chest is, even though I've completed the tower over 100 times by now. Have tried looking for it, but there's not much time to spend looking around...

All three are doable, just make sure you clear the first set of appearing rubble in like three jumps. First one is that obvious one to the left of the cog standing straight, the second is around 9 seconds after that on a cog laying flat attached to some piece of rubble, the last chest is the easy one after making a long drop onto a cog.

The path to the first chest is easy and can be a speed boost. I usually follow that path even after looting that chest, I find that path easier.

The third chest is next to you at the part you drop down so it's impossible to miss, you can loot it while you are down before your character gets up.

The only chest that takes a couple seconds more to get is the second one at the edge of one of the gears.

I always grab the 1st and 3rd chest on my first run, and the 2nd one the run after that. I could probably get all 3 now, but I couldn't while I was still optimizing my runs, It's pointless getting all 3 in one run if there's time for another run, because of the reset time on the chests, so I don't bother. You will at best only get 3 chests total in 2 runs.

> @Larenc.1269 said:

> Honestly They need to slow it down big time. Servers are in terrible shape right now. The groups i've been with most cant make the starting jump due to how bad the instance is delayed.

This literally never happens when i do the puzzle, are you absolutely sure its a server thing and not a group of 5 people bad at jumping ?

The lava's too slow? Even when I take the optimal route, and jump on the flying rubble before the animation finishes, the lava is already lapping at my heels. Maybe it's just lag on my part or a graphical issue because once I get past the second chest, the lava's never an issue again until I get to the third chest, and I do experience that 15 second wait at the end to open the belfry.

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> The lava's too slow? Even when I take the optimal route, and jump on the flying rubble before the animation finishes, the lava is already lapping at my heels. Maybe it's just lag on my part or a graphical issue because once I get past the second chest, the lava's never an issue again until I get to the third chest, and I do experience that 15 second wait at the end to open the belfry.

Are you using the keyboard to do character rotations? If yes look no further.

But you can get 10-15 seconds left at the end when you do it properly. The last part especially require a lot of turns (even though its easier) so id you dont rotate with the camera, you're adding a lot of difficulty.

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > I heard there's 3. I've only seen 1.

> Two of the chests are impossible to miss, though grabbing the first one does require an extra jump and makes it harder to get through the first half. The other obvious one is on the gear when you jump down around the midpoint of the puzzle.

>

> I have no idea where the last chest is, even though I've completed the tower over 100 times by now. Have tried looking for it, but there's not much time to spend looking around...

>

>

>

I never needed an extra jump to get the first one. you can get it as you run by.

> @Deihnyx.6318 said:

> I for one would love an ultimate JP challenge, some sort of "Trial and Tribulation - The Clock Tower Edition".

> If they give us Legendary Insights at the end haha xD

so a kind of "SAB" clock tower jp tribulation mode? that would be really terrifying something to give nightmares.

> @Deihnyx.6318 said:

> Are you using the keyboard to do character rotations? If yes look no further.

> But you can get 10-15 seconds left at the end when you do it properly. The last part especially require a lot of turns (even though its easier) so id you dont rotate with the camera, you're adding a lot of difficulty.

No, I always use mouselook, and when I make it that far, I still get the 10-15 seconds wait at the end. It's just at the part immediately following the wait for the rubble to fall at the beginning, the lava rises fast enough that I can take damage from it, even when I'm miles ahead of everyone else.

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > @Deihnyx.6318 said:

> > Are you using the keyboard to do character rotations? If yes look no further.

> > But you can get 10-15 seconds left at the end when you do it properly. The last part especially require a lot of turns (even though its easier) so id you dont rotate with the camera, you're adding a lot of difficulty.

> No, I always use mouselook, and when I make it that far, I still get the 10-15 seconds wait at the end. It's just at the part immediately following the wait for the rubble to fall at the beginning, the lava rises fast enough that I can take damage from it, even when I'm miles ahead of everyone else.

>

That's partially what I was complaining about. They artificially let lava close to you at start - by forcing a wait. then another time by dropping you down 30 feet. But in grand scheme you are going up way faster than the lava so once the "tension forced moments" are behind you will never see the lava again nor will you worry about it. Would be way more fun if you constantly had it up your ankles if you stop for split sec.

Not in favor of this myself. You can say that JPs aren't for everyone, but I'd say that festivals are. There are plenty of posts (and people in-game) saying they have trouble with this JP as it is. There's no reason to make it even more difficult (esp. not without it being an optional difficulty increase). If you're not getting enough challenge out of it, find ways to hinder yourself to make it more challenging. See how far you can get with Walk instead of Run. Do it in as few jumps as possible. Try alternate (possibly unintended) routes and see if you can make it. Adapt to the content rather than asking for the content to be adapted to you. Of course, the same could be said to any asking for the clocktower to be easier. One route makes the content more accessible but 'less fun', the other makes it 'more fun' and/or rewarding but less accessible (fun being subjective of course).

> @Glacial.9516 said:

> Not in favor of this myself. You can say that JPs aren't for everyone, but I'd say that festivals are. There are plenty of posts (and people in-game) saying they have trouble with this JP as it is. There's no reason to make it even more difficult (esp. not without it being an optional difficulty increase). If you're not getting enough challenge out of it, find ways to hinder yourself to make it more challenging. See how far you can get with Walk instead of Run. Do it in as few jumps as possible. Try alternate (possibly unintended) routes and see if you can make it. Adapt to the content rather than asking for the content to be adapted to you. Of course, the same could be said to any asking for the clocktower to be easier. One route makes the content more accessible but 'less fun', the other makes it 'more fun' and/or rewarding but less accessible (fun being subjective of course).

I agree with all of that, however OP seems to suggest that this would be an optional mode (2nd post).