Secret Lair of the Snowmen for the Wintersday Festival

Swagger.1459

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"Ok I Did It.2854" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > @"LupusLycaon.1570" said:

> > > > Well, it's a raid now. /s Well done festival team, well done. Guess I'll go back to WvW.

> > >

> > > It's not a raid, it's on dungeon level at most. Any random squad can complete it.

> >

> > Of course they can, as it has raid mechanics all over it, 10 man raid teams will destroy it, your average 1,1,1,1,1,1 collect loot player will not, and will probably quit before finishing.

>

> Did you read me? "**Any random squad can complete it.**", means ANY, any comp, any class, as I just did it with 0 deaths with a random "All welcome" squad on lfg.

I heard the same claim about raids as well, so let me be a bit suspicious of it. Especially since quite a number of friends tried that already and came back without being able to finish it.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Ok I Did It.2854" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"LupusLycaon.1570" said:

> > > > > Well, it's a raid now. /s Well done festival team, well done. Guess I'll go back to WvW.

> > > >

> > > > It's not a raid, it's on dungeon level at most. Any random squad can complete it.

> > >

> > > Of course they can, as it has raid mechanics all over it, 10 man raid teams will destroy it, your average 1,1,1,1,1,1 collect loot player will not, and will probably quit before finishing.

> >

> > Did you read me? "**Any random squad can complete it.**", means ANY, any comp, any class, as I just did it with 0 deaths with a random "All welcome" squad on lfg.

> I heard the same claim about raids as well, so let me be a bit suspicious of it. Especially since quite a number of friends tried that already and came back without being able to finish it.

>

I joined a random squad earlier, and we got it done with just one wipe. It's nowhere near the normal raid difficulty level. The hardest part is jumping into it without knowing what to expect. Our group wiped once, reset, and then got it done without any deaths the second time because we knew what was coming then (and we even had to do most of it with just 9 people since we had a DC during it).

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > Well, it's a raid now. /s Well done festival team, well done. Guess I'll go back to WvW.

> > > >

> > > > It's not a raid, it's on dungeon level at most. Any random squad can complete it.

> > >

> > > Of course they can, as it has raid mechanics all over it, 10 man raid teams will destroy it, your average 1,1,1,1,1,1 collect loot player will not, and will probably quit before finishing.

> >

> > Did you read me? "**Any random squad can complete it.**", means ANY, any comp, any class, as I just did it with 0 deaths with a random "All welcome" squad on lfg.

> I heard the same claim about raids as well, so let me be a bit suspicious of it. Especially since quite a number of friends tried that already and came back without being able to finish it.

>

Just try and you'll judge yourself, maybe I was lucky (I doubt it since others confirmed it). Your best bet is trying out when you have the chance.

I never ever raid, because I am a filthy casual PvE'er that prefers to do story and exploring. I was honestly quite mad when I first saw it, but my guild convinced me to join. I think we were kinda mixed raiders and non raiders, I brought my standard casual open world and story build, which is definitely not anywhere near meta. No thought was put into team composition, as it was just anyone from the guild that was there and agreed to join (some quite reluctantly *cough* me)

In the end it was not as bad as I feared... more akin to a fractal or dungeon, we wiped a couple of times, but learned the mechanic and finished it. So... despite being a raid hater (wishing raids had never been a thing) I can actually accept this. It is possible to complete even for some of the filthy casuals like me. I'd probably still hate it to the end of the world if not for my guild though.

> @"Ok I Did It.2854" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > The only question I have is, does it require raid comps (eg Chrono tank, etc) or is it just a 10 man dungeon with actual fight mechanics?

>

> You can get away without raid comps, but a raid comp would prob make it easier, the reward for doing it a 2nd time is only 10 wintersday gifts, so its not worth running more than once.

He actually drops Minis, so I’ll be going back in

I'm one of the people who probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd only seen it talked about as a new raid. I have attempted raids and killed two or three bosses once each, but that's all and I certainly wouldn't have time to find a group to do it with, learn the mechanics and practice enough to get it all right during Wintersday, and I wouldn't remember what I did learn for next year, so I'd just skip it.

But when I saw people on the forum talking about how it isn't really a raid and it's a lot shorter and easier and any group can do it I thought it couldn't hurt to try. I found an "everyone welcome" group and joined in just to see how it went, and it really was easy so I started telling other people that in case they're in the same situation.

I know there's a common assumption among at least some gamers that easy means bad and so if people are talking about how easy something is they're putting it down (and by extension anyone who didn't find it easy, or even anyone who enjoyed it). But that's not always the case - it can be a good thing that something is easy to complete. Especially with festival activities where my thinking is they should be accessible to everyone.