Obsidian Shard Eater, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease make!

Kelly.7019

+1 to the idea for more Obsidian Shard sinks. As someone who does all 3 game modes, I get Obsidian way, WAY faster than I can use it, but I'm betting that any serious PvP/WvW player is in the same boat. The major sink for Obsidian is primarily Legendary crafting, but that's a fairly small sink that new'ish players are not likely to get into (because they can't afford it) and that veteran players infrequently use because they probably have already crafted the Legendaries they want/need. Yes, you technically CAN convert Obsidian into gold by making Fulgurite and either merching that directly or crafting Jeweled Damask Patches or Jeweled Deldrimor Dowels, but that's a pretty roundabout route that means you also need to a) acquire the various Ascended mats and b) farm the HoT metas for the currencies. Some players would rather not have to do that kind of extra time investment, especially if gaming time is a precious commodity.

I would like to see either a new Obsidian Shard gobbler, or perhaps an upgrade to the existing Karma gobbler by means of a new tab (similar to the various tabs in the Ley-Energy gobbler). I propose that the gobbler offers a variety of rarer items (which vary daily) in exchange for varying amounts of Shards, such as:

- Bag of Rare Gear (1 Shard)

- Heavy Crafting Bag (2 Shards)

- Rare Trophy Bag (2 Shards)

- Box of WvW Supplies (3 Shards)

- Lesser Vision Crystal (2 Shards)

- Vision Crystal (3 Shards)

- Magic-Warped Packet (2 Shards)

- Magic-Warped Bundle (5 Shards)

You can spend up to 10 Obsidian Shards per day on this.

In addition, I think it would also be a good idea to expand the Ley-Energy Matter Converter to also take excess Airship Oil, Auric Dust, and Ley-Line Sparks. This could be done by adding additional tabs that are unlocked by purchasing services from the HoT vendors (requiring 100 of the appropriate previous items). Each tab would have three guaranteed items:

- Purchase extra keys for the matching map in exchange for 5 of the map items (so 5 Airship Oil in exchange for another Pact Crowbar, for example)

- Purchase one of the map's rare mats for 25 items (for VB, this would be 1 Freshwater Pearl for 25 Airship Oil. AB would be Black Diamonds, while TD would be Maguuma Lily, matching the gear stat specific to that map)

- Purchase one of the map's special mats for 50 items (for VB again, this would be 1 Reclaimed Metal Plate for 50 Airship Oil)

Each purchase can be made once daily only (except the keys, which can be done up to 5 times.) Other options could be added too, but these are the 3 items I'd most like to see.

Finally, I think it would also be a good idea for a similar PoF gobbler to be added. Stuff like Eyes of Kormir, Congealed Putrescence, and Twitching Forgemetal are all languishing at vendor prices. Pulsing Brandsparks should also be used as a currency there, perhaps once in a while you can purchase Elegy Mosaics, or even Funerary Essences for it?

While i support the idea of an obsidian shard eater, i feel like we have to get to the root of the problem. Obsidian shards are far from the only obnoxious item that pile up in our inventories, having a different eater for all of them merely works as band aid. Of course Anet wants to incentivize us to purchase more bag/bank space, but its starting to reach a ridiculous level at this point.

Bloodstone shards and other map currencies of that season is vendorable, the next season you can consume the map currencies for volatile magic and with eternal ice shards and hatched chili you cant do either. Its really going in the wrong direction. Obsidian shards is where it all started and now almost 9 years later Anet have been unable or unwilling to do something about it, rather they have gone even more in the direction of currencies that become useless and eat our inventory. So i wouldnt get my hopes up.

But really, the fix is not to have more currency eaters but rather stop going in this direction with adding new currencies that quickly become useless and fill our bags. Or at least let us easily get rid of them by consuming and or vendoring.

You know what? I think I'd settle for a new item being sold for 0 c at every merchant called a garbage bag. It would be consumable gizmo that players can use to select an item or stack of items that would then present a simple prompt, "Are you sure you wish to delete this item?". No more having to type out X Obsidian Shards or Eye of the North Teleport Stone, just double click, click offending item, click prompt, gone.