WvW seasons and leaderboards

CrimeMaker.8612

> @CrimeMaker.8612 said:

> > @Israel.7056 said:

> > I think tournaments could be a lot of fun.

>

> You arent wrong.. and that is what exactly WvW community needs right now. Fun, casual yet competitive play and there is GvG leaderboards for the hardcore guilds and players..

I think I even know how to get people to play:

1.) New tournament specific achievements with some sort of larger meta achievement reward

2.) Farmable WvW exclusive mount skins, perhaps tied to the achievements or perhaps just farmable with some new tournament currency.

3.) Increased ticket caps (say double or triple the current cap) during tournament weeks which could be say 2 weeks out of every month so people get some time to relax in between tournaments.

> @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> >

> > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

>

> Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

Given the choice between

* Working their hamsters to death and ending up with fewer WvW participants due to burnout versus

* Doing nothing and suffering slow attrition,

Then yes, nothing is better.

Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

I really liked tourneys. The first one was what motivated to play WvW at all and I ended up liking it, even so far as to joining a dedicated WvW guild and skirmishing regularly. That doesn't prevent me from understanding that they aren't necessarily good for the long-term health of the game mode.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > >

> > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> >

> > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

>

> Given the choice between

> * Working their hamsters to death and ending up with fewer WvW participants due to burnout versus

> * Doing nothing and suffering slow attrition,

>

> Then yes, nothing is better.

> ****

> Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

>

> I really liked tourneys. The first one was what motivated to play WvW at all and I ended up liking it, even so far as to joining a dedicated WvW guild and skirmishing regularly. That doesn't prevent me from understanding that they aren't necessarily good for the long-term health of the game mode.

I see your point but there are players like me who are burning out of the mode because there is no competitiveness or the sense of "teamwork" anymore.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > >

> > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> >

> > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

>

> Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes, reason for winning and no varieties would become boring as kitten to anyone.

The rewards weren't even all that great, but it was still able to generate so much excitement, dedication and competitions. PvP tournaments were child play in comparison.

Nowadays with the new reward system and stuff, anet could always give another carrot on a stick for people to chase after in between tournament seasons. So people aren't left around doing nothing and getting bored.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > > >

> > > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> > >

> > > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> >

>

> > Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

>

> Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

>

> But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

>

> Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes and varieties would become boring as kitten.

You made a blanket statement... “Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself!”... so we provided a clear response to it... Seriously, nobody is arguing that wvw doesn’t need work, but you stated “nothing”... and that’s not true. I don’t care about “between periods” venting, it’s pointless to discuss.

A lot of “things” need major work before any new competitions can be on the table.

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> > > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > > > >

> > > > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> > > >

> > > > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> > >

> >

> > > Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

> >

> > Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

> >

> > But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

> >

> > Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes and varieties would become boring as kitten.

>

> You made a blanket statement... “Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself!”... so we provided a clear response to it... Seriously, nobody is arguing that wvw doesn’t need work, but you stated “nothing”... and that’s not true. I don’t care about “between periods” venting, it’s pointless to discuss.

>

> A lot of “things” need major work before any new competitions can be on the table.

>

You should care about that "between period" point. Please think for yourself why people get burned out from tournaments. Or you might as well be a parrot repeating "tournaments burns people out, so no to tournaments" just because that's what everyone says.

and as for what you said about

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

>

Last tournament: October 2014.

HoT Release: October 2015 - A whole kitten year -> and the great WvW update we waited an entire year turned out to be DBL.

Updates in 2016? I don't know :confused: , nothing memorable... Maybe changing the hated DBL to 2 Alpine and 1 DBL?

Now we're in year 2017. Linking, rewards and skirmishes (also linking, gliding) - all of them are updates in 2017.

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

>

This I agree, but so many people are already dismissing that WvW tournament should even return.

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

Lag, PvE designed classes, skills and balance, population disparity, same old boring maps (and sure you can come up with more) - these already exist since launch, and none have been addressed, and likely won't be in any foreseeable future at this rate... But it's not like gameplay right now is completely entirely broken... Some balances will need to be addressed of course, but it should not take away the need to give us something that makes WvW (you know the core gameplay called competition?) actually meaningful

> > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> > > >

> > >

> > > > Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

> > >

> > > Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

> > >

> > > But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

> > >

> > > Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes and varieties would become boring as kitten.

> >

> > You made a blanket statement... “Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself!”... so we provided a clear response to it... Seriously, nobody is arguing that wvw doesn’t need work, but you stated “nothing”... and that’s not true. I don’t care about “between periods” venting, it’s pointless to discuss.

> >

> > A lot of “things” need major work before any new competitions can be on the table.

> >

>

> You should care about that "between period" point. Please think for yourself why people get burned out from tournaments. Or you might as well be a parrot repeating "tournaments burns people out, so no to tournaments" just because that's what everyone says.

>

> and as for what you said about

> > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

> >

> Last tournament: October 2014.

> HoT Release: October 2015 - A whole kitten year -> and the great WvW update we waited an entire year turned out to be DBL.

> Updates in 2016? I dunno, nothing memorable... Maybe changing the hated DBL to 2 Alpine and 1 DBL?

> Now we're in year 2017. Linking, rewards and skirmishes (also linking, gliding) - all of them are updates in 2017.

>

> > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

> >

> This I agree, but so many people are already dismissing that WvW tournament should even return.

>

>

> > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

> Lag, PvE designed classes, skills and balance, population disparity, same old boring maps (and sure you can come up with more) - these already exist since launch, and none have been addressed, and likely won't be in any foreseeable future at this rate... But it's not like gameplay right now is completely entirely broken... Some balances will need to be addressed of course, but it should not take away the need to give us something that makes WvW (you know the core gameplay called competition?) actually meaningful

Nobody can change the past. It’s pointless to discuss the past. You, the devs, nor I... have a time machine to rework the past...

I care about going forward... and things need work going forward if you want any type of healthy competition... It makes ZERO rational sense to host any competition at this point because of the unaddressed issues this mode faces.... Let that sink in a bit.

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> > > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > > > > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > > Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

> > > >

> > > > Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

> > > >

> > > > But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

> > > >

> > > > Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes and varieties would become boring as kitten.

> > >

> > > You made a blanket statement... “Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself!”... so we provided a clear response to it... Seriously, nobody is arguing that wvw doesn’t need work, but you stated “nothing”... and that’s not true. I don’t care about “between periods” venting, it’s pointless to discuss.

> > >

> > > A lot of “things” need major work before any new competitions can be on the table.

> > >

> >

> > You should care about that "between period" point. Please think for yourself why people get burned out from tournaments. Or you might as well be a parrot repeating "tournaments burns people out, so no to tournaments" just because that's what everyone says.

> >

> > and as for what you said about

> > > Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

> > >

> > Last tournament: October 2014.

> > HoT Release: October 2015 - A whole kitten year -> and the great WvW update we waited an entire year turned out to be DBL.

> > Updates in 2016? I dunno, nothing memorable... Maybe changing the hated DBL to 2 Alpine and 1 DBL?

> > Now we're in year 2017. Linking, rewards and skirmishes (also linking, gliding) - all of them are updates in 2017.

> >

> > > When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

> > >

> > This I agree, but so many people are already dismissing that WvW tournament should even return.

> >

> >

> > > You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

> > Lag, PvE designed classes, skills and balance, population disparity, same old boring maps (and sure you can come up with more) - these already exist since launch, and none have been addressed, and likely won't be in any foreseeable future at this rate... But it's not like gameplay right now is completely entirely broken... Some balances will need to be addressed of course, but it should not take away the need to give us something that makes WvW (you know the core gameplay called competition?) actually meaningful

>

> Nobody can change the past. It’s pointless to discuss the past. You, the devs, nor I... have a time machine to rework the past...

>

> I care about going forward... and things need work going forward if you want any type of healthy competition... It makes ZERO rational sense to host any competition at this point because of the unaddressed issues this mode faces.... Let that sink in a bit.

>

>

And so how are we (the people who wants to see some form of competition such as tournaments) not looking into the future? We are worried about whether any competition will ever return to the gamemode (even after addressing some major balance issues). Tournament claim tickets were replaced with skirmish tickets, historian (the tournament merchant) was replaced with historian (the skirmish merchant). Repeated statements and the parrots repeating on how "People burned out from WvW after tournament", and e.t.c. All these new moves seem to indicate that anet no longer wish to run anymore tournaments.

Just like server performance, population balance, skill balance, and any unaddressed issues, a competition (such as tournament) is also in that same list of priority.

Nobody here in this thread (so far), is cussing anet out for something in the past. So why should we pretend that everything in the past was irrelevant. Why don't you look and learn from the past and maybe that will help you look into your bright and grandiose future? You probably should let this sink in a bit.

> @Swagger.1459 said:

> > > > > > @ThunderPanda.1872 said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > ANet's data found that while participation skyrocketed during seasons/tourneys, people burnt out in greater numbers afterward. Between the arguments about server stacking and fair fights, alliances rising and falling, and some people discouraging newbies as being unhelpful, it seems to have been a short-term success and a long-term failure. (It's also a ton of work for them to setup.)

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As a result, they haven't been inclined to start a new one.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself! - Yes, just like the huge content drought after the tournaments that completely saved the gamemode...!

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > > Of course, as others have pointed out, we haven't had "nothing."

> > > >

> > > > Yes. I said it. We had nothing in the period between end of season 2 and beginning of HoT expansion. Unless you consider those golem weeks and the addition of guild sieges something extremely significant for the length of that time period.

> > > >

> > > > But I still want to say that DBL mess was what truly killed the population, there was definitely something wrong when 100 people would rather queue for ebg than play on DBL

> > > >

> > > > Burnt out because of tournaments? More like burnt out because WvW had no variety, no meaning, no changes. After getting a taste of the excitement of tournaments and its adrenaline pumping competition, standard day-to-day WvW that got no changes and varieties would become boring as kitten.

> > >

> > > You made a blanket statement... “Yea, so lets have nothing, and population will save itself!”... so we provided a clear response to it... Seriously, nobody is arguing that wvw doesn’t need work, but you stated “nothing”... and that’s not true. I don’t care about “between periods” venting, it’s pointless to discuss.

> > >

> > > A lot of “things” need major work before any new competitions can be on the table.

> > >

> >

> > You should care about that "between period" point. Please think for yourself why people get burned out from tournaments. Or you might as well be a parrot repeating "tournaments burns people out, so no to tournaments" just because that's what everyone says.

> >

> > and as for what you said about

> > > Linking, rewards and skirmishes are hardly “nothing”... and we were told clearly that participation has increased since those updates.

> > >

> > Last tournament: October 2014.

> > HoT Release: October 2015 - A whole kitten year -> and the great WvW update we waited an entire year turned out to be DBL.

> > Updates in 2016? I dunno, nothing memorable... Maybe changing the hated DBL to 2 Alpine and 1 DBL?

> > Now we're in year 2017. Linking, rewards and skirmishes (also linking, gliding) - all of them are updates in 2017.

> >

> > > When fundamental issues are addressed, then I’m all for some type of war/campaign/tournament, but first things first...

> > >

> > This I agree, but so many people are already dismissing that WvW tournament should even return.

> >

> >

> > > You want a wvw tournament, or seasons, filled with super lag... pve designed classes, skills and balance... condition issues still not addressed... population balance disparities despite linking... same old boring maps... (and I’m sure I can come up with more)... ??? Yeah, sounds like a healthy base to host competitions on right?

> > Lag, PvE designed classes, skills and balance, population disparity, same old boring maps (and sure you can come up with more) - these already exist since launch, and none have been addressed, and likely won't be in any foreseeable future at this rate... But it's not like gameplay right now is completely entirely broken... Some balances will need to be addressed of course, but it should not take away the need to give us something that makes WvW (you know the core gameplay called competition?) actually meaningful

>

> Nobody can change the past. It’s pointless to discuss the past. You, the devs, nor I... have a time machine to rework the past...

>

> I care about going forward... and things need work going forward if you want any type of healthy competition... It makes ZERO rational sense to host any competition at this point because of the unaddressed issues this mode faces.... Let that sink in a bit.

>

>

Honestly the biggest problem right now is the population. The only time you see a boost in population is when there is a new patch for WvW which is every 6 months? And after that it just drains out... tournaments are going to be a good way to bring back old and introduce new players and especially if there is leaderboards attached to tournaments for the casual and competitive community.

> @CrimeMaker.8612 said:

> I personally dislike Server links, I am all for the idea of literally just blow up all the servers and start new ones but there is one really good use that could be made of server links to bring that "old school competitiveness" back to WvW.

> Every 2 months there are server links. Arena Net why haven't you thought of starting a WvW season every 2 months with the new links?

>

> *Since past 6 months or so, new rewards were introduced to WvW via reward tracks, pip system, legendary backpiece and now also being able to get legendary armor from WvW as well. Good changes!

> *Now when it comes to balance I am not expecting the WvW dev team to do anything about it because since it isn't their job and I don't want this post to be about balance.

>

> ~The one thing WvW currently lacks is competitiveness. There are some guilds that still exist who like to be competitive but most players just do not care because there is nothing for them to work towards or move up on like leaderboards.

> ~Previous WvW seasons were purely about PPT and which server comes first and back in the day when it came to winning seasons it was all just down to coverage. Whichever server had the most coverage that server will win. Players and guild pulled a lot of time during those seasons PPTing and trying to win which lead them to burn out and quit. Also with glicko system the tiers were always locked hence no server moving up or down.

>

> -Server links its a game of shuffle which literally allows different servers to move up a tier or go down depending on how good or bad the links are.

> -The 1up and 1down system allows even more shuffling servers allowing tier locks to breaks.

> -Now if Arena Net introduces seasons with the server linking; basically new link = start of the new season. I think it will have positive effect on competitive side of WvW.

> -There are not going to be tier locks = fighting different server each week = higher chance of winning rather than always loosing = people can still pull over time depending on the score and tier without having to burn themselves off.

> -Seasons having new rewards and other things which will allow new players to enter WvW and possibilities of servers getting new commanders which most WvW servers do lack in the current state of the game.

>

> +Leaderboards

> *You cant make WvW competitive by just introducing seasons; you also need leaderboards.

> *Have different kind of leaderboards because there are different styles to play WvW

>

> -Leaderboard that keep tracks servers weekly wins and loses.

> -Leaderboard that keep tracks of which server had the most weekly kills and season total.

> -Leaderboard that keep tracks which server captured most camps/towers/keeps/ or which server upgraded other servers camps/towers/keeps the most.

> Etc

>

> Now the main thing I wanted to talk about.

>

> **Guild vs Guild**

> *We play a game called Guild wars 2, **Guild Wars** .. Arena Net so why not make it a thing with seasons..??

> *Old players and new competitive players will definitely come into WvW.

> *^Same goes for old and new guilds.

> *GvG is one thing that hooked me to this game and it could be one amazing thing in this game if taken in the right direction with the right attitude.

> *Arena Net has always denied the scene and always wanted it to die out or not be a thing at all but **GIVE GvG SCENE A CHANCE AT LEAST!**

>

> -Introduce seasons with new links.

> -Add a GvG leaderboards.

> -Turn Obsidian Sanctum into instanced based map aka mega server Obsidian Sanctum.

> -Make a website or place where guilds can sign up to take part in GvG. Arena Net this part can literally be done by GvG community. There are still players who would strongly you support and make a system for you where guilds can sign up and to keep track of guild Win / Loss ratio all you have to do is give us leaderboards.

> -GvG scene is small right now but there are people who cast them! all we need is the tools! Give us the tools!

>

> !Give us megaserver Obsidian Sanctum and GvG leaderboards!

>

> MAKE WvW MORE COMPETITIVE PLEASE!.

1. Many of us know the links have failed, but we can't convince Anet of that even on maps where two sides have 30 and 60-80 and 25 - boggles the mind.

2. Many of us have asked for tournaments to be returned in their glory without gimmicks, as they were.

Sigh. Five years plus and I won't give up hope for a better WvW and server identity to be honored not dismissed.