Why can mesmers insta-down people?

EvilSardine.9635

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> Not sure if this is a trolling post . i have a mesmer and have never been able to insta down a player

>

> It usually takes me about 3-4 abilities in a 3 second time span, then i have to wait for them to reset.

>

What has been interesting about the evolution of this thread is no one truly has a one shot build... all of the 'one shot builds' require set up with multiple skills.

Originally this was posted just after the 'nerf DE into the ground' thread.

> @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> Not sure if this is a trolling post . i have a mesmer and have never been able to insta down a player

>

> It usually takes me about 3-4 abilities in a 3 second time span, then i have to wait for them to reset.

>

You need to tweak your build/reflexes a bit. Many mesmers can get those 3-4 abilities off all at once in a 1-2sec window (from stealth). thats where the one-shot comes in. But your right, they then scamper off with blink/evades/stealth until the cheese shot is off cd. When people say 'one shot', they really mean they can kill someone in 1-2 seconds from 100 to 0. Not that they only use one skill. Whether its a macro thing or skill, I leave to other folks to debate. Anet needs to at .5 casting time on these mesmer skills. That may put a damper in this whole 3-4 skills at once crap.

> @"mulzi.8273" said:

> > @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> > Not sure if this is a trolling post . i have a mesmer and have never been able to insta down a player

> >

> > It usually takes me about 3-4 abilities in a 3 second time span, then i have to wait for them to reset.

> >

>

> You need to tweak your build/reflexes a bit. Many mesmers can get those 3-4 abilities off all at once in a 1-2sec window (from stealth). thats where the one-shot comes in. But your right, they then scamper off with blink/evades/stealth until the cheese shot is off cd. When people say 'one shot', they really mean they can kill someone in 1-2 seconds from 100 to 0. Not that they only use one skill. Whether its a macro thing or skill, I leave to other folks to debate. Anet needs to at .5 casting time on these mesmer skills. That may put a damper in this whole 3-4 skills at once crap.

A .5s global cooldown would solve a lot of spam problems in this game. Not all of them, obviously, but in no situation does anyone *need* to spam all of their instant casts in less than .5s. That's not thoughtful, critical play. It's just spam...

Unfortunately, due to the way "Auto-Attacks" work, I don't know how they could implement something like this.

> @"mulzi.8273" said:

> > @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> > Not sure if this is a trolling post . i have a mesmer and have never been able to insta down a player

> >

> > It usually takes me about 3-4 abilities in a 3 second time span, then i have to wait for them to reset.

> >

>

> You need to tweak your build/reflexes a bit. Many mesmers can get those 3-4 abilities off all at once in a 1-2sec window (from stealth). thats where the one-shot comes in. But your right, they then scamper off with blink/evades/stealth until the cheese shot is off cd. When people say 'one shot', they really mean they can kill someone in 1-2 seconds from 100 to 0. Not that they only use one skill. Whether its a macro thing or skill, I leave to other folks to debate. Anet needs to at .5 casting time on these mesmer skills. That may put a damper in this whole 3-4 skills at once crap.

Ill have to look at my keyboard i mean skills over thank you that clarifies it

• 3 weeks later...

> @"K THEN.5162" said:

> Well my poor little muffin it seems you have 2 option:

> - You can either complain about your counterplay lacking build getting 1 shot by mesmers and demanding it gets nerfed in the next patch **3 months away**

> - Or you can run a specific trait that every class has access to (and is in the game at this current moment) that effectively deals with this sort of build ^_^

>

Funny, we caught you using macros on your mesmer tonight.

> @"K THEN.5162" said:

> > @"Corvus.2831" said:

> > No one should be required to equip a specific ability to not be oneshot. You proven our point.

>

> Well my poor little muffin it seems you have 2 option:

> - You can either complain about your counterplay lacking build getting 1 shot by mesmers and demanding it gets nerfed in the next patch **3 months away**

> - Or you can run a specific trait that every class has access to (and is in the game at this current moment) that effectively deals with this sort of build ^_^

>

Ran across you tonight with you as a base mesmer repping BOZ.

Your macro use is obvious. Please don't tell other players they should be running certain traits when you yourself are not playing fairly.

> @"Blodeuyn.2751" said:

> Funny, we caught you using macros on your mesmer tonight.

XD I appreciate the attention and I assure you I'm not using macros (I can barely understand my residence microwave let alone figure out how to install macro software)

In an attempt to prove I'm not using macros, I've attached a picture of my keybindings

![](https://i.imgur.com/zAcqpuw.png "")

If you haven't already noticed, I binded my "A, S, and D" keys to my burst rather than to movement and in case you were wondering, yes I'm god awful at jumping puzzles because of it

Thanks for the shoutout and happy WvWing :)

That doesn't prove anything...you could have just as easily rebinded your keys to "prove" your not a hacker but anyone hit by your super skillful burst makes it glaringly obvious theres a 3rd party program involved. You ganked me for 2 weeks during the sbi yb tie and somehow every time the combat shows 15+ damage sources in less than a second...I call bullshit on that

> @"CantoGuy.6459" said:

> That doesn't prove anything...you could have just as easily rebinded your keys to "prove" your not a hacker but anyone hit by your super skillful burst makes it glaringly obvious theres a 3rd party program involved. You ganked me for 2 weeks during the sbi yb tie and somehow every time the combat shows 15+ damage sources in less than a second...I call kitten on that

there is no way he can prove he is not using a macro or what would be prove enough for you ? using a macro would be stupid tho as there are not enough instant casts to gain an advantage so you just limit yourself to a pattern. how about you prove is actually cheating? its easy to accuse someone of cheating as it is pretty hard to prove you are not.

15 hits within a second is not enough to prove anything, but would you mind telling me how you can see seconds in your combat log? mine is only hour and minutes.

I have not played pvp since PoF came out and in WvW, balances are also frustrating for non PoF players. I have had quite a few low level newbie players and probably still on low level equipment and weapons make me look like I'm a geriatric in a hospital ward. This is extremely frustrating given the 5 years of playing and effort I've put into this game. Maybe the Kodan have an idea of balance

Macro complaints are idiotic. I've gotten my fair share of accusatory whispers, and I feel none of them have gotten their head around using instant skills during cast-time skills.

The typical mesmer burst is only four (three damage) skills; Blink while casting mirror blade, and mind wrack while casting mind stab. In the combat log, that can quickly turn into six entries. 3x mirror, 2x shatter, 1x mind stab. Not including sigil or food procs (add another ~two entries).

If you take the skilled mesmers who implement more precast/instant skills into the rotation, your combat log can get overwhelming.

You can include a precast berserker, power spike, jaunt, and a mirage dodge for another clone to get another shatter source. All keybinds pressed sequentially, with ~10+ damage sources (not actual skills) in <1s.

This isn't a small pool of mesmer players who can do that. The ability to mix instant and cast skills into a burst rotation is a trait shared with other known burst classes like ele, thief, and (discharge) engie.

> @Titan.3472 said:

> And a single scourge bombed me in an instant for 7k hp a second yesterday.

>

> And a daredevil knocked 12k hp off less than a second from 1200 range while stunning me and instantly being back at 1200+ range.

>

> And a spellbreaker killed me while invoulnerable.

>

> And a weaver bombed 15k hp in less than a second.

>

> And a herald knocks 6k hp off each autoattack at 1200 range.

>

> And even if any of these do get a bomb in a firebrand can heal up from 0 to 100 in an instant.

>

> Etc and so on.

>

> Its not mesmers wars.

>

> Welcome to GW2. It is what it is. It doesnt matter what your class is, any time you complain about enemy classes look at your kitten own class first.

This. This. This. Why is the current obsession with Mesmer being OP when MANY classes have cheap, skilless builds full of broken burst and/or cheese mechanics. Many classes have lazy, easy to abuse builds and mechanics. Yet its only Mesmer that is getting hate - why?

> @"ArmageddonAsh.6430" said:

> > @Titan.3472 said:

> > And a single scourge bombed me in an instant for 7k hp a second yesterday.

> >

> > And a daredevil knocked 12k hp off less than a second from 1200 range while stunning me and instantly being back at 1200+ range.

> >

> > And a spellbreaker killed me while invoulnerable.

> >

> > And a weaver bombed 15k hp in less than a second.

> >

> > And a herald knocks 6k hp off each autoattack at 1200 range.

> >

> > And even if any of these do get a bomb in a firebrand can heal up from 0 to 100 in an instant.

> >

> > Etc and so on.

> >

> > Its not mesmers wars.

> >

> > Welcome to GW2. It is what it is. It doesnt matter what your class is, any time you complain about enemy classes look at your kitten own class first.

>

> This. This. This. Why is the current obsession with Mesmer being OP when MANY classes have cheap, skilless builds full of broken burst and/or cheese mechanics. Many classes have lazy, easy to abuse builds and mechanics. Yet its only Mesmer that is getting hate - why?

>

>

Stealth, same with thief. That gets the most attention.

But yeah lots of broken 10-20k damage skills in the game now.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> Stealth, same with thief. That gets the most attention.

> But yeah lots of broken 10-20k damage skills in the game now.

Yep. The game is "balanced" around bad players. There are SO many poorly balanced skills. Press and forget mechanics. Passive defense. Easily abused burst and stealth running and resets. This game is RIDDLED with issues. Rather than focusing on one class, its the game as a whole that needs the focus.

• 3 weeks later...

> @"EvilSardine.9635" said:

> Why can mesmers insta-down people?

> Why is there not much talk about this? Instant kill abilities with no counter-play should not exist in a game. There should be skillful counter-play to everything.

> [..]

> Is this getting nerfed or what? I don't mind being outplayed in duels and small fights but being instantly downed out of nowhere feels like you're cheated.

The real question is why are mesmers STILL able to insta-down people?

SIX YEARS of balance patches. Worst balance yet. Is it an April fools? Are WE the April fools? Are Anet? Is the whole thing a Year-Long Fools joke, or a SIX-YEAR-Long Fools joke?

> @"Svarty.8019" said:

> > @"EvilSardine.9635" said:

> > Why can mesmers insta-down people?

> > Why is there not much talk about this? Instant kill abilities with no counter-play should not exist in a game. There should be skillful counter-play to everything.

> > [..]

> > Is this getting nerfed or what? I don't mind being outplayed in duels and small fights but being instantly downed out of nowhere feels like you're cheated.

>

> The real question is why are mesmers STILL able to insta-down people?

>

> SIX YEARS of balance patches. Worst balance yet. Is it an April fools? Are WE the April fools? Are Anet? Is the whole thing a Year-Long Fools joke, or a SIX-YEAR-Long Fools joke?

Maybe it's only my experience: lately either the balance has somewhat caught up, or more bad players are playing Mesmer/Mirage, but I've noticed more and more can't finish the opener, then they go into panick mode pooping out clones at nothing, running in circles and taking more and more damage until my relatively-tanky-hits-slightly-harder-than-a-wet-noodle weaver whittles them to

Down state.....

I figure if I'm doing that.....