Axe damage buff is a trick to appease the warrior community.

Hitman.5829

> @Hitman.5829 said:

> "The axe enhancements in this update are intended to make sure that every skill can be a damage increase over autoattacking to properly position the axe as a damage weapon for warriors."

>

> The iconic weapon for a warrior in any MMORPG game is the GREAT SWORD!

> If anything needed a damage buff for warrior is the GREAT SWORD!

> Let me fix your patch notes so that on the next patch you correct your mistake:

> * The GREAT SWORD enhancements in this update are intended to make sure that every skill can be a damage increase over autoattacking to properly position the GREAT SWORD as a damage weapon for warriors."

>

> With each passing year, I am starting to realize that Anet never intended warrior to be the typical warrior in MMORPGs, but instead they intended the warrior to be a brawler, a 1 vs 1 type of brawler. Either that, or they have incompetent developers!

Stop comparing to other MMOs.

Axe has always been the DPS weapon in the Guild Wars franchise, while Sword has always been the cripple/bleed weapon. The only exception to this ever was the elite skill Dragon Slash.

What a clown fiesta this is...

I agree that Axes should be top dps weapon, just because Axe kit offers nothing else, like somebody else mentioned already. And if GS is in such a bad spot why is it the staple weapon for all of GW2 existence? Really must be hard to give constructive feedback.

> @Samurro.1463 said:

> What a clown fiesta this is...

>

> I agree that Axes should be top dps weapon, just because Axe kit offers nothing else, like somebody else mentioned already. And if GS is in such a bad spot why is it the staple weapon for all of GW2 existence? Really must be hard to give constructive feedback.

cause greatsword is like the perfect weapon. It does everything...

The damage wasn't amazing on gs though by comparison and its gone through many nerfs making it even less lackluster. ALl the utility of the weapon remains though, and that utility is what makes it so good to begin with. Axe has surpassed it in damage for a while now, its just been the phalanx strength keeping gs ontop of the pack.

Now we got axe doing like 2x as much damage as greatsword will output and lacking all the utility that greatsword previously provided. So people are feeling pressure to be taking gs and axe which limits their loadouts to melee range only, which is the crummiest melee range imaginable. And so they are falling on builds that are axe + something that isn't gs.....and they are feeling the lack of utility they get in exchange for the HUGE static damage boost.

Then everyone is loooking at condi gearsets by comparison and saying.....why do we, who suffer so much having to take 3 stats to do damage, have to be put in this situation?!?!?

So people feel cheated now lol. Its kinda....just how it is. Maybe axe is great as it is now....i don't really know. All I know is they gave something stuff like axe 5, 20% more damage....that's not how you balance. They shoulda gave axe utility instead of just giving it damage buffs over and over as the years go by.....that's all they've done to axe since its inception is damage bufff it. Sure they add some stupid boons but they have no real value on the effectiveness of the weapon...they just boost damage a bit more.

What utility on the GS is supposed to be so good? To me, there doesn't seem to be any utility on it that is particularly useful, except perhaps the gap closer, but that is not that big of a deal. Having high damage is far more useful. Using a ranged secondary weapon obviates any necessity for a gap closer.

> @redcomyn.4651 said:

> What utility on the GS is supposed to be so good? To me, there doesn't seem to be any utility on it that is particularly useful, except perhaps the gap closer, but that is not that big of a deal. Having high damage is far more useful. Using a ranged secondary weapon obviates any necessity for a gap closer.

The mobility/evade that GS gives you is what most people talk about being good on GS.

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> The mobility/evade that GS gives you is what most people talk about being good on GS.

Those utilities are pretty minor. Certainly not enough to make up for the great loss of damage.

I have tried the GS in the past, and I died far more often using it than the axes. Fights that I could win the axes, I would lose with the GS. That shows that those utilities are almost worthless.

> @redcomyn.4651 said:

> > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > The mobility/evade that GS gives you is what most people talk about being good on GS.

>

> Those utilities are pretty minor. Certainly not enough to make up for the great loss of damage.

>

> I have tried the GS in the past, and I died far more often using it than the axes. Fights that I could win the axes, I would lose with the GS. That shows that those utilities are almost worthless.

>

I mean it depends on the mode. But gs 3 is a huge deal as mentioned. Same with gs5. And the f1/f2 synergize so well with traits and are easy to land that its hard to look back.

What would you run with ur axes and for what mode? Sorry, but nobody is going to agree with you that the utility of gs is useless just cause 'you' lose more using gs compared to axe. Sounds more like a learn to play issue. Maybe ur build has too much utility and not enough damage and axe is what brings everything together for you.

The mobility and rotations it allows is huge in modes like wvsw. I mean doing pve with a proper group....means you can just stand there and tank every hit and move at tank speed through the instances.

Even just sword/shield greatsword vs axe/shield greatsword.....the difference is clear in the amount of mobility (which can easily equal survivability in situations that aren't 1vs1) you giveup when you take axe. I used to swap in axe on my vanillla warrior build for wvsw when I knew I was going to fight a 1vs1...cause I'd have the edge. Otherwise I'd always use sword just cause there was too much risk to not have the mobility. I can't imagine either build working without the greatsword in the mix though. Even hulk style healing builds rely heavily on gs, then mace/shield. link ur builds, im curious what u use. mbe im missing something, who knows!

> @kiranslee.4829 said:

> U know guys, this is why war will stay as it is for long long time. Instead of actually contributing your thoughts about topic at hand, good war community somehow managed to get in argument about GS in modern media.

> I think you should go and learn from Ele community. They are insanely good at QQing any time balance team look at them, and for ages now they manage to get themself into every meta . While warrior community spent ages arguing for example how FC is op or not , Ele community worked well to hid all overturned traits/skills and focused to point out where they wish boost. And loads of QQ. Or lets leave eles, did anyone ever seen talk how distortion is seriously op for all game mods ? Well i wonder why.

> But ye u go ahead and argue if true warrior is using GS or hammer or kitten ....

THAT! This is the best comment i found in warrior forum for months. People here have different ideas for warrior and instead of supporting what Anet gives them and complain about bad things, while trying to maintain the good ones they argue how op is the stuff warrior has in design areas that they dont like. I like that only a few realise the nerf to FC and Revenge counter trait in WvW and PvP where these skills should excel at (coz in pve these are just whatever skills). Spellbreaker has no use in pve, raids or fractals. In WvW and PvP was decent and one of its main mechanics got severely nerfed. So, we now have two sub-classes that play almost identically to the core class, while rangers got druid and even soulbeast that provide a freshness to their class, thieves got the same treatment. Even eles for god sake. Warriors unite and forget about your ideal warrior dreams. Warriors can be tacticians, can be duelists can be mass damage dealers and can be tanks. Embrace what Anet gives u and work on helping them to make warrior and its E-specs better and more diverse.

> @Cerby.1069 said:

>

> I mean it depends on the mode. But gs 3 is a huge deal as mentioned. Same with gs5. And the f1/f2 synergize so well with traits and are easy to land that its hard to look back.

>

> What would you run with ur axes and for what mode? Sorry, but nobody is going to agree with you that the utility of gs is useless just cause 'you' lose more using gs compared to axe. Sounds more like a learn to play issue. Maybe ur build has too much utility and not enough damage and axe is what brings everything together for you.

>

> The mobility and rotations it allows is huge in modes like wvsw. I mean doing pve with a proper group....means you can just stand there and tank every hit and move at tank speed through the instances.

>

> Even just sword/shield greatsword vs axe/shield greatsword.....the difference is clear in the amount of mobility (which can easily equal survivability in situations that aren't 1vs1) you giveup when you take axe. I used to swap in axe on my vanillla warrior build for wvsw when I knew I was going to fight a 1vs1...cause I'd have the edge. Otherwise I'd always use sword just cause there was too much risk to not have the mobility. I can't imagine either build working without the greatsword in the mix though. Even hulk style healing builds rely heavily on gs, then mace/shield. link ur builds, im curious what u use. mbe im missing something, who knows!

I only do pve so that may be why I am not seeing what you are seeing. I suppose playing against actual people would make the GS shine, although I really don't know. I have never done pvp, and wvw only very, very rarely. At the moment I am doing axe/dagger spellbreaker. It seems to be working pretty well. I get some big numbers, mostly with the mainhand axe. I do facetank the smaller hits but I do dodge the big ones, but I think that is true with everyone. Can't dodge everything, except the daredevil of course.

> @Zakka.2153 said:

> I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

>

> I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

Yes, I echo this ... it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage, like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's. They do what they want, what fits THEIR game. Not that it's good to browbeat people's opinions but to think there is actually something seriously wrong with the game development because Anet didn't follow along the traditional lines ... it's time for anyone that thinks this way to take a serious pause and a full-scale mental retreat under the nearest rock.

> @Obtena.7952 said:

> > @Zakka.2153 said:

> > I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

> >

> > I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

>

> Yes, I echo this ... **it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage,** like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's.

Yeah, I bet everyone is so glad that the only high damage option on warrior is a bow with a sword in one hand and torch in the other.

> @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

>

>

>

>

> > @Obtena.7952 said:

> > > @Zakka.2153 said:

> > > I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

> > >

> > > I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

> >

> > Yes, I echo this ... **it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage,** like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's.

>

> Yeah, I bet everyone is so glad that the only high damage option on warrior is a bow with a sword in one hand and torch in the other.

maybe the comprehension is lacking here? I didn't say everyone was happy because there was only one high damage option, I said it's refreshing that THE highest DPS build isn't yet another 2H sword options ... but then again, if you have been paying attention to the game for the last 5 years, you already know why complaining about a single high damage option makes no sense don't you.

> @Obtena.7952 said:

> > @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > > @Obtena.7952 said:

> > > > @Zakka.2153 said:

> > > > I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

> > > >

> > > > I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

> > >

> > > Yes, I echo this ... **it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage,** like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's.

> >

> > Yeah, I bet everyone is so glad that the only high damage option on warrior is a bow with a sword in one hand and torch in the other.

>

> maybe the comprehension is lacking here? I didn't say everyone was happy because there was only one high damage option, I said it's refreshing that THE highest DPS build isn't yet another 2H sword options ... but then again, if you have been paying attention to the game for the last 5 years, you already know why complaining about a single high damage option makes no sense don't you.

ehehehhe

> @Obtena.7952 said:

> > @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > > @Obtena.7952 said:

> > > > @Zakka.2153 said:

> > > > I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

> > > >

> > > > I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

> > >

> > > Yes, I echo this ... **it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage,** like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's.

> >

> > Yeah, I bet everyone is so glad that the only high damage option on warrior is a bow with a sword in one hand and torch in the other.

>

> maybe the comprehension is lacking here? I didn't say everyone was happy because there was only one high damage option, I said it's refreshing that THE highest DPS build isn't yet another 2H sword options ... but then again, if you have been paying attention to the game for the last 5 years, you already know why complaining about a single high damage option makes no sense don't you.

Im just gonna change this before I get myself banned. . .

> @Mikeskies.1536 said:

> > @otto.5684 said:

> > I am curious if axe/axe damage is now viable for end game PvE? I know it is not the highest dps, but can it do 30k? Also is core or SB work better with it?

>

> The highest it'll go is 24k as pure DPS.

:/ so I guess it will buffed again next patch. Maybe in 20 patches from now it may become end game PvE viable...

> > > @Turk.5460 said:

> > > > @Hitman.5829 said:

> > >

> > > > The iconic weapon for a warrior in any MMORPG game is the GREAT SWORD!

> > >

> > > According to who? I would argue that most MMORPG's show warrior-types as tanks with a One-handed Sword and a Shield. DAoC, WarHammer, WoW, Shadowbane, Everquest, etc. Even Dungeons and Dragons depicts fighters iconic style as Sword/Shield

The last time I checked (back in 3.5), D&D had an iconic axe/shield and an iconic greatsword fighter.

You're both right.

> @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

>

>

>

>

> > @Obtena.7952 said:

> > > @Zakka.2153 said:

> > > I am really glad it is not all about gs, I mean nearly every "decent" build since the dawn of warriors in gw2 for some reason "had" to have a gs. I like the axe buff I've always enjoy axe/axe

> > >

> > > I'd like to see mace get a little damage increase as well.

> >

> > Yes, I echo this ... **it's actually a NICE change that we don't have to go to a massive 2H sword to get high damage,** like every other game. This is what I love about GW2 is that they don't appease or pay tribute to these tired MMO cliche's.

>

> Yeah, I bet everyone is so glad that the only high damage option on warrior is a bow with a sword in one hand and torch in the other.

I love it. It reminds me of a typical adventurer type.

One handed sword and torch to illuminate dark areas, and a longbow for enemies that either will take time to close the distance, or fly.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> Gsword has mobility, axe has nothing but damage. Axe should be the strongest power weapon for warrior.

Which is kind of stupid IMO, why should a 2-handed heavy weapon have more mobility than a 1-handed one? I'm ok from removing mobility from GS's skills 3 and 5 but please buff its damage by A LOT.

> @Zaraki.5784 said:

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > Gsword has mobility, axe has nothing but damage. Axe should be the strongest power weapon for warrior.

>

> Which is kind of stupid IMO, why should a 2-handed heavy weapon have more mobility than a 1-handed one? I'm ok from removing mobility from GS's skills 3 and 5 but please buff its damage by A LOT.

The mobility is the reason GS is the most widely used power weapon in pvp and wvw, take away the mobility you are asking the great nerf to all power warrior across 2/3 game mode. Greatsword is fine as is.

He's right, it doesn't make sense that a heavy 2-handed weapon is the mobility weapon. With that said though, do you really have faith in them to re-work the weapon and balance another weapon to give us another mobility option without completely breaking the class? Honestly I do not. So I'd rather they just not touch GS mobility.