Remove the "Leaving the mission area" mechanic

I had the unfortunate experience of literally jumping out of my mission area while chasing down a target.

What this means is that the entire mission instance resets and you need to start that instance from scratch. Some of these instances can take more than 30 minutes to go through the entire sequence and battles. You may be downed, might have to restart from checkpoints etc. etc.

After going through that, to get kicked and reset because of accidentally leaving the mission area is ridiculous.

There should be a hard border , or a pop-up dialog box asking if you want to leave or not.

Has this happened to you? especially now that we have mounts that can leap or blink out the mission area in one or two keypresses before you even realise what's happening?

The boundary still needs to be moved further outward or the timer before you are kicked increased. Or just put those lovely invisible borders around the playable area.

During that mission where you race/catch that devourer thingy(?) in Vabbi I took a wrong turn and blinked outside the area with the jackal. Instantly kicked.

I completely agree that something needs to be changed - especially now that we have mounts. I accidentally jumped outside the border on the raptor while chasing something. Yes it shows the border on the minimap but I don't look at the minimap the entire time. And yes I got a warning but only 1 or 2 seconds before kicking.

And of course Anet has decided not to have checkpoints anymore so we had to start the entire instance over.

I've not accidentally jumped out of an instance area, but I have accidentally raptor'd off the ley islands at the end of DS, so I'm actually surprised I haven't flung myself out of bounds in any instance yet! I reckon the instance borders should be like ocean borders, just pop you back in if you keep trying to go.

> @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> the worse one was when it suddenly changed the playable area to a small spot on the map for no good reason and knocked my friend out of the instance forcing us to restart it.

I'm also surprised this never happened to me 'cause I have a habit of wandering off. Perhaps they should add a requirement that all players need to be in place before the instance boundaries change?

Agreed, it would be much better for it to just put you back in the playable area instead of entirely removing you from the instance, specifically as newer content tends to have more opportunities for these accidents to happen. Season 3 had plenty of parts in Bloodstone Fen where you could accidentally fall off or get knocked off a floating island and lose all your progress, and Path of Fire now has mounts, which serve their own part to make it a bit too easy to get out of bounds. Considering how long and difficult some story missions can be, it'd just be so much more convenient!

Alternatively, add in an optional checkpoint system like some jumping puzzles have, where if you get kicked from or leave your story in the middle of it, you can choose to restart the whole mission, or continue from where you left off.

> @TitaniumBovine.9674 said:

> I've not accidentally jumped out of an instance area, but I have accidentally raptor'd off the ley islands at the end of DS, so I'm actually surprised I haven't flung myself out of bounds in any instance yet! I reckon the instance borders should be like ocean borders, just pop you back in if you keep trying to go.

>

> > @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> > the worse one was when it suddenly changed the playable area to a small spot on the map for no good reason and knocked my friend out of the instance forcing us to restart it.

>

> I'm also surprised this never happened to me 'cause I have a habit of wandering off. Perhaps they should add a requirement that all players need to be in place before the instance boundaries change?

Or simply teleport the "additional" players back within to some predefined "starting point" on boundary change if they happened to be outside of the new boundaries.

Whatever the solution, it _is_ needed. There's especially that one mission of the new PoF storyline (the first one in Desert Highlands) that suffers from that. The change to boundaries is way too big, and the mission practically asks the group of players to split and search the area instead of moving as a single group. I'm pretty sure that anyone that does this mission for the first time (and in a group) has a high chance of getting caught in it.

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> All I can say is.. what are you doing outside the story area? There are no monsters, there is no path to the next objective.. you have no reason to leave the playable area, so why are the red borders a problem? If you play the game as intended you should never see the ‘youre leaving’ message

In some instances the area is *very* narrow without there being any terrain indication of boundary. This has been more common during PoF as the instance area "moves" along, sometimes rather abruptly.

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> All I can say is.. what are you doing outside the story area? There are no monsters, there is no path to the next objective.. you have no reason to leave the playable area, so why are the red borders a problem? If you play the game as intended you should never see the ‘youre leaving’ message

I've witnessed many involuntary kicks out of story instances in PoF story when playing in a party of 2+ players:

* somebody auto-running out of bounds towards the end of the intro mission due to a stuck/malfunctioning movement key

* accidentally raptor-jumping out of bounds in the racing instance in Vabbi (there's a u-turn right at the instance boundary with another path going leading the wrong way)

* moving the wrong direction the moment the story boundaries change (as that often teleports all extra participants to a spot right at the boundary, so if you're moving and unlucky you'll be out of bounds before you know it)

When playing story missions by myself I usually witness a delay in going out of bounds and being kicked, but for non-opener party members this interval seems to be severely shortened in some circumstances. Plus if you happen to be on a moving mount (e.g. during a chase) you'll be out of bounds much quicker but can react slower due to mount deceleration and turning animations.

All you naysayers who for no reason at all are against stuff being fixed (just because it never happened to you) should really shut up. And you obviously also don't read the bug report forum because just a few days ago I reported being catapulted out of the playable area of a long story mission as a bug. That thread got no reply and only two handful of views, where were you all to voice your opinion that this should not be fixed at that time?

Here is my bugthread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/14174/hot-story-chapter-16-bug

PS: There is no time at all for you to react when that happens, if you get kicked/thrown/shot/catapulted or whatever, be it by a mob, bouncy mushroom, updraft or any game mechanic other that you walking your char, the instance closes pretty much instantly because you are too far outside of the allowed area. I had barely time to even see the message in the middle of the screen about leaving the playable area, took like 0.1 seconds.

In a couple of PoF instances I've been kicked while fighting, generally speaking I dodged out of bounds then got kicked. I didn't even know I was close to the edge because I was concentrating on the mobs not the mini map.

Giving more space or creating a larger soft/warning area before kicking would have been enough.

Yes, I got caught here as well!

> @Astralporing.1957 said:

> Whatever the solution, it _is_ needed. There's especially that one mission of the new PoF storyline (the first one in Desert Highlands) that suffers from that. The change to boundaries is way too big, and the mission practically asks the group of players to split and search the area instead of moving as a single group. I'm pretty sure that anyone that does this mission for the first time (and in a group) has a high chance of getting caught in it.

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

Well, for one you can play through the storyline with friends. See my earlier post for an example where the automatic boundary resizing is almost certain to kick someone out.

First off, in case nobody has noticed you have 5 seconds from the moment you enter the boundary to getting kicked, plenty of time to get back in the zone, unless you completely move out of the instance, in which case it is almost instantaneous(that's what happened once with the chasing the Devourer in Vabbi, but I was able to restart from that location, not do the entire mission over again, so I think someone missed a checkpoint). Second, I'm not sure why people aren't paying attention to the mini-map more, it's the easiest way I've found to move around in any instance.

> @moonstarmac.4603 said:

> I think it should teleport you back into the allowed area instead of kicking you out. I had the issue where I got knocked out of bounds by a mob...instant kick.

This happened to me too once... haha It was a real wtf moment. But I laughed and went back in. Funny way to fail a mission.

> @Zaklex.6308 said:

> First off, in case nobody has noticed you have 5 seconds from the moment you enter the boundary to getting kicked, plenty of time to get back in the zone, unless you completely move out of the instance, in which case it is almost instantaneous(that's what happened once with the chasing the Devourer in Vabbi, but I was able to restart from that location, not do the entire mission over again, so I think someone missed a checkpoint). Second, I'm not sure why people aren't paying attention to the mini-map more, it's the easiest way I've found to move around in any instance.

You are shooting down people for wanting to have this changed with nonsense arguments. Although you know that you do not always get those 5 seconds, you tell people to "pay more attention to the mini map". And just because you happened to be kicked out right where you could restart, that does not mean everyone is that lucky. There are plenty of missions that will make you repeat longwinded steps or even the whole storystep when you get kicked out. Blaming it on "missing a checkpoint" is laughable. As if you could even progress a story without having reached a previous checkpoint.

You probably did not even read my post in this thread where I linked my bugreport so just for you I will link it again: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/14174/hot-story-chapter-16-bug

Now tell me either how paying more attention to the minimap would have helped, or which checkpoint I missed that made me start the story all over and repeat the two fights you have to do before reaching the endfight with mordremoth.....doh.