Does this game feel rewarding?

Shaaba.5672

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farming gold and buying the reward off the TP might not feel engaging, but allowing some chunck of content to lose any appeal because you've no interest in whatever content specific reward it offers or you already got it isn't good either. Currently, it looks like the TP approach is left for those things behind the usual insane RNG, while everything else is either content specific or a mix between content specific and regular materials (which drop everywhere, just in a ridiculously unbalanced way).

For content specific reward/currency which you might have no use for, GW2 solution is usually to include an exchange for some kind of material bag, which I guess could work IF there was some attempt of balance on the amount of currency you get from different event/activities and between different currencies.

So, basically, we have a serious balance problem. We have always had it, and I have no faith on changes in the near future.

It feels like GW2 is growing and getting so much better in ways, but...

I really find the incentives to do content quite lacking.

I don't even want to talk to the next vendor I see anymore. It does not feel like a living world when every chest/merchant/event offers formulaic stock. It's a skin treadmill, mini pet treadmill, and ascended trinket treadmill in this virtual world. The rewards feel so predictable, shallow and I have to say it "just plain lazy".

It is hurting the game's appeal in a slow and quiet way.

> @Martin.4860 said:

> To me GW2 is not your typical MMO, you even pay it as a single player game, if you play any games right now, you will know that usual hours of play time is 40-60 hours, 40-50 USD/game so if you played it for more than that I think you had your money's worth for a single player priced game from GW2. I set my expectation in this game way from the start, the same with Guild Wars 1. I played WoW, FF11, Secret World, Lineage 2 and other Sub MMO, and it makes me feel I need to play a couple of hours daily because of the Monthly payments, but Guild Wars break that trend, and thats why I know I haven't played an MMO since then. I can quit now and wait for the next exp and I think the game will be fine (but Wintersday is coming so that ain't happening).

>

I disagree with this statement, purely because GW2 doesn't have the quality of a true good single player game, if GW2 gives me the same ammount of time as a good story driven single player then that is not enough at all. GW2 is an mmo and that's why i play it, it can't match quality of single player games but it has the community aspect and playing together instead, if that isn't there, it's not worth the money imo.

> @pah.4931 said:

> While agree PoF seems lacking when it comes to fun meta events and long achievement chains (compared to HoT)...

>

> The more stuff they put in the game, the less money they make. The older the game gets, the less money people will spend in it. Bank slots or filled. Bag space is already large. Most people might already be happy with their characters outfits and armor. Since it doesn't have a sub, it has to make up for it in other places. Unfortunately, that means RNG in the cash shop. Sure there are a FEW people who probably pump plenty of money into the game (I would bet the LARGE majority of players spend less than $10 a year on gems), but I guarantee cash shop spending has been trending down since the game's launch.

>

> But hey! I'd rather have RNG and gem shop items and a game to play... than no game to play at all.

I disagree with this completely, the game being there if the cash shop and lack of ingame content forces me to leave it isn't a possitive at all. I want a decent game or none at all.> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> You know. A good method of cheap mounts is using existing models. And there's already a good set out there:

> Raptor : Mordrem Cavalier

> Springer : the leaked spider (yes, spiders jump)

> Skimmer : im thinking Juranda since they float

> Jackal : Fernhound

> Gryffon : Wyvern

> Since each of these are already fully animated models they should be easy to implement, and can individually be locked behind a collection that serves as a sink for whatever we have way too much of right now. That wouldve been karma until recently with the aurora and Orr collections.

I appreciate the feedback but you don't know how animation works. Respectfully, this wouldn't be easy. XD

> @Nemmar.8491 said:

> The dynamic events themselves give you a measly 3 silver something, wich is downright insulting. The karma is ok, but the silver is a bad joke. They should give more, like 30 silver.

This line alone hit me with some idea, and something that should be obvious. Dynamic events in the new expansion/new living world map should be by nature way more rewarding then anywhere else. If anything that will get people to do them way more then now.

> @Greyraven.4258 said:

> The game is more about community than the shineys I get, we have a group lately that basically wants to turn GW2 into every other hyper competitive e-sport centric mmo, I just want to keep the amazing accepting community we have built, the Redditt crowds seem to want to tear that down now more than ever.

I disagree, i also want a community focussed mmo, a gemstore buying mmo isn't the way to make communities happy, especially when your new expansion has nearly nothing you can actually do with your community that's worthwile.

The lack of cool stuff ingame is also a great way to make people feel inferior to others when they can't afford the latest cool thingy.> @Vargamonth.2047 said:

> Farming gold and buying the reward off the TP might not feel engaging, but allowing some chunck of content to lose any appeal because you've no interest in whatever content specific reward it offers or you already got it isn't good either.

I want to adress this, i had a blast with the first 2 weeks of path of fire, i toroughly enjoyed them. That doesn't mean that now that i've done everything once, i'm bothered that the only thing left to me is to go back to the old content.

> @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

> To me, the game is rewarding. I don't focus on skins but on achievements, achievement rank, mastery rank, PvP rank, WvW rank and titles while enjoying the versatile content this game has to offer.

I get this point, i really do, but that's only going to help you to do all the content once. Wich is fine, for a single player game, not for an mmo. I agree with you that this game has some amazing content, it's just not amazing to the point where i'd replay it over and over without getting any meaningfull rewards. Veteran's of the game are literly waiting for the updates because they've done much of whatever else the game has to offer. If those updates aren't meaningfull in the long term, aka replayable for some reason, that's bad. (especially since allot of the core game and HoT is replayable for different reasons)

Thx for the reactions in this post and the healthy discussion, keep it coming.

As for something i would like to add wich hasn't been mentioned yet.

I really feel 5 man content took a giant nosedive when dungeons were abandonned. Instead of looking forward to a new dungeon with possibly new skins and armor, we are looking forward to a fractal with absolutely 0 updated reasons to play more fractals except to experience the content. Wich you do once and then, well if you don't crave fractal rewards and weren't already doing fractals regularly, isn't going to change anything.

A new dungeon in the game would make people play it, and then replay it for the gear and rewards from it, a new fractal in the game doesn't do that at all.

> @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> The game is rewarding but not in a way that means anything.

This is a reflection of the real problem..... its too broad a definition to have any real discussion on.

Its a problem I've noticing in every single game forum I've been active in the last couple of years. People don't seem to have a clear idea of what exactly is "rewarding" on a visceral level. I think it partly has to do with the recent rise in awareness of the Bartle taxonomy, and its constant misuse in arguments about various reward systems. Its difficult to articulate, but I can only best describe it as an _inability to distinguish a goal from a milestone_. Even in this thread, much of the reward system talk is about whats "quantifiable", and why we should be getting more of X...... but only one post draws on the point of real motivation behind it.

This is why I feel dissonance seems to be so common among the players, in that the combat system, on all levels, provides a great deal of flexibility in design, and is enjoyable to use on a short learning curve. Its unconventional enough to want to keep using it, but we're running out of things to really use it on. HOT is popular among players who understand buildcraft, and does a lot to validate good builds in action. But that spike in difficulty is also why most PUGs who don't understand build craft see it as stupidly punishing. POF is an inversion, as its layout follows more common MMO design philosophies on mob density and path finding. With the mounts, players can weave around difficult clusters, and transit to areas of interest quickly (something the WP do in Core, but don't in POF due to spacing). With both of these facts in mind, why are we doing anything in these areas to begin with? This leads to the question of how we're being motivated at any given time.

When HOT launched, I quit on all the achievements because of the poor flow of the mastery unlock process. I recently revisited it after LS3 started, using the excess MPs from the first 3 chapters to supplement the missing HOT MPs I needed to advance. This brought me back to Magumma, and found that all the areas started to make sense. The achievements were now all in reach, and several sticking points patch up, I proceeded to do map complete and made a Gift of Magumma for later use ( only bothered to do that twice, because of processing bottle necks in the crafting). With that out of the way, I still spent 80% of my time in Core Tyria trying to generate mats and gold to do Legendary crafting. I collect them for the Fashion wars aspect of the game, and am quickly frustrated by arbitrary gating mechanism... they're easy to spot, because the vast majority of my time is spent staging a project's materials first, then focus effort on the collections at a leisurely pace. I know my core motivation in PvE is Character Lore and developing aesthetics. But in WvW, that motivation changes drastically. I greatly enjoy the cognitive exercise offered by other players when it comes to strategic problem solving. I don't operate on the level of commanders, but operate well in support management functions.... unfortunately WvW doesn't reward that type of game play due to its shallow logistics and poor interaction between 5 primary play archetypes. While most of my time is spent with a zerg, much of my effort (and builds I tend to run) focus heavily on high impact utility roles. Historically I've run Core engineer, and later Scrapper, Shout Guards and now Cele Firebrand, Druid, Scourge, Herald, Deadeye (which is strong in a zerg if you know what to target), Spell Breaker, Memser/Chorno, and Auramacer Ele when D/D was still strong.

Now to get perspective, one of my all time Favorite games was Planetside 1. The vast majority of my time spent in that game was playing counter strategy and logistics on all scales; learning the ins and outs of the game flow, the properties of each weapon (which were functionally distinct), and finding the best application of those concepts at any given moment. My motivation in that game was the satisfaction of making my allies just slightly less worthless.

In Guildwars 1, I rolled multiple characters, and ran each through nearly all the quests in Prophecies and Factions. I'd often group with random players in town, but ultimately that was just an excuse to travel and experiment with different build types (which I tweaked on a constant basis). However, I didn't do this in Night Fall, and only finished Eye of the North once. This was eye opening in hindsight, as NF was weaker on story, while EotN inundated the player with achievements to grind out. The first 2 games had a fair share of achievements- but they were done for their own sake (or for a title), and the pursuit of which were impressive efforts. Yet time and again, I would spends days on end in Tyria and Cantha just wandering from outpost to outpost, or pushing into remote regions just to visit them. My motivation in that game was Wanderlust and Adventure.

But with all that said.... GW2 causes me to struggle with the idea of being a completionst. It started in TF2, with its outrageous approach achievement ideas, many of which I at least attempted to see how hard they were. But GW2 is the first time I've ever been compelled to do/care about milestone achievements. It bothers the crap out of me, because its just a to-do list. And I only first caught awareness of while playing Fall out 3, despite running into similar systems in other games. I'm hoping someday I can figure it out..... because its been getting me to play after work to do dailies, when I should be asleep- and it needs to stop.

Invisible Shoes -- 2.5k gold

Salvaged Excellence -- 1.1k gold

Celestial Infusion (blue) - 800 gold

The Chosen -- 400 gold

Leaf of Kudzu -- 500 gold

All in all, the game has been very rewarding to me. That said...

The ascended weapons collections were meant partially to be a substitute for something that was lost in GW2's game design. Since GW2 was designed to be a "no pressure, play how you want" game, the loot system was set up to be very general and highly random. Enemies don't really have individual drops. That way, a player isn't forced into killing one enemy over and over again just to get a reward to use later. This would spread out the player base, so everybody isn't all concentrated in one area.

Problem is, that "killing one enemy over and over again" thing wasn't all bad. Monotonous, sure, but it really felt like you were working toward a goal. Having enemies that had highly specific drops meant that every enemy was a potential economic boon. Not only will they have unique things that you can't get anywhere else, but you can get a market for the various items that drop in only a few places. To top it off, if the enemy is really hard to beat, then you could have exclusive bragging rights for beating those enemies. This tied rewards to effort, something that GW2 is sorely lacking.

I was thinking about this earlier, but I don't think I play this game for rewards anymore. I am nearly complete with ascended gear on my Deadeye, and I don't care to make legendaries because they are too grindy even for me. I am not a fan of meta events, nor do I raid, spvp, WvW, or fractals. The sole reason I came back to this game is because of the Deadeye class and the rifle because there is a lack of classes in other MMOs that are not P2W that have a setup like GW2 with it's weapons. With the latest patch, even A-net is dropping the ball for me there.

So overall, my enjoyment of the game has dropped substantially because I don't find any of the things I mentioned rewarding. The only time I guess I did have fun was when I was doing dungeons because the elitism of people wasn't in the groups like the other activities I mentioned. They don't have a dungeon team anymore, so I am out of luck there too. Most of the time now I just log on and talk in map chat to entertain myself, so I am not really sure what to do at this point. Maybe a break is best for me. /shrug

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> You know. A good method of cheap mounts is using existing models. And there's already a good set out there:

> Raptor : Mordrem Cavalier

> Springer : the leaked spider (yes, spiders jump)

> Skimmer : im thinking Juranda since they float

> Jackal : Fernhound

> Gryffon : Wyvern

> Since each of these are already fully animated models they should be easy to implement, and can individually be locked behind a collection that serves as a sink for whatever we have way too much of right now. That wouldve been karma until recently with the aurora and Orr collections.

They should have put the 30 new skins they gave us in the grab-bag as something that could be found in-game as a random reward, in addition to being purchased from the gem store directly (as the RNG grab bag)... probably cut down to 20. The flaming mounts should have been their own Gem Store set. Starbound and Stardust make fun "Shiny" mounts to stumble across, while the basic reskins (Savannah Monitor, Windy Spot, Bright Ringfin, Banded Mystic, Spotted Sylph) should have been purchasable from the Mount Heart Vendors after completing the mounts' associated achievement. With a solid base of in-game mounts to earn (Bonus if it's expandable on LS releases), they could absolutely stuff the gemstore with all sorts of outrageous mount skins to milk skritt-brained whales like me.

They could have had someone purchase all the mounts, buy many for friends, and buy the Reforged Warhound. But they didn't put the mounts as accessible in-game, so all my friends ran away (So I can't gift them the new random mounts), and I won't be bothered to buy the Warhound either because I have no friends to show it off to.

This game seems to have an inverse sense of rewards,

In the beginning the game is so fun and rewarding,but while you lv up and you reach the *CORE* ( for core i mean you completed almost everything,and you achieved almost all) the game lack of content,lack motivation to keep players playing this game.

There is nothing to do apart farm over and over the same maps, or do the same train every day.

There is no competition, all players are just the same,if you played 3000 h or 100 h is the same.

There is nothing unique to do or to achieve,all can achieve the same.

I think the main problem is the core game the late game call it how you prefer, is like there is nothing that keep you playing this game,because you don't have an objective to achieve anymore.

When you login to play a game,you say to yourself,i want to have fun,i want to obtain that item,i want kill somebody (pvp),i want do achieve something... that's are the reason why people are playing videogames,and the same reasons why people are not playing gw2.

*Also in 5 years we didn't see any real upgrade on the game,just contents revisited.

A game is upgraded when receive new content such as : new race,new class,new items,new function,new modality and so... and not when you add new story line and 4 new map with the same old system.

> @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> The game is rewarding but not in a way that means anything.

This is a reflection of the real problem..... its too broad a definition to have any real discussion on.

Its a problem I've noticing in every single game forum I've been active in the last couple of years. People don't seem to have a clear idea of what exactly is "rewarding" on a visceral level. I think it partly has to do with the recent rise in awareness of the Bartle taxonomy, and its constant misuse in arguments about various reward systems. Its difficult to articulate, but I can only best describe it as an _inability to distinguish a goal from a milestone_. Even in this thread, much of the reward system talk is about whats "quantifiable", and why we should be getting more of X...... but only one post draws on the point of real motivation behind it.

This is why I feel dissonance seems to be so common among the players, in that the combat system, on all levels, provides a great deal of flexibility in design, and is enjoyable to use on a short learning curve. Its unconventional enough to want to keep using it, but we're running out of things to really use it on. HOT is popular among players who understand buildcraft, and does a lot to validate good builds in action. But that spike in difficulty is also why most PUGs who don't understand build craft see it as stupidly punishing. POF is an inversion, as its layout follows more common MMO design philosophies on mob density and path finding. With the mounts, players can weave around difficult clusters, and transit to areas of interest quickly (something the WP do in Core, but don't in POF due to spacing). With both of these facts in mind, why are we doing anything in these areas to begin with? This leads to the question of how we're being motivated at any given time.

When HOT launched, I quit on all the achievements because of the poor flow of the mastery unlock process. I recently revisited it after LS3 started, using the excess MPs from the first 3 chapters to supplement the missing HOT MPs I needed to advance. This brought me back to Magumma, and found that all the areas started to make sense. The achievements were now all in reach, and several sticking points patch up, I proceeded to do map complete and made a Gift of Magumma for later use ( only bothered to do that twice, because of processing bottle necks in the crafting). With that out of the way, I still spent 80% of my time in Core Tyria trying to generate mats and gold to do Legendary crafting. I collect them for the Fashion wars aspect of the game, and am quickly frustrated by arbitrary gating mechanism... they're easy to spot, because the vast majority of my time is spent staging a project's materials first, then focus effort on the collections at a leisurely pace. I know my core motivation in PvE is Character Lore and developing aesthetics. But in WvW, that motivation changes drastically. I greatly enjoy the cognitive exercise offered by other players when it comes to strategic problem solving. I don't operate on the level of commanders, but operate well in support management functions.... unfortunately WvW doesn't reward that type of game play due to its shallow logistics and poor interaction between 5 primary play archetypes. While most of my time is spent with a zerg, much of my effort (and builds I tend to run) focus heavily on high impact utility roles. Historically I've run Core engineer, and later Scrapper, Shout Guards and now Cele Firebrand, Druid, Scourge, Herald, Deadeye (which is strong in a zerg if you know what to target), Spell Breaker, Memser/Chorno, and Auramacer Ele when D/D was still strong.

Now to get perspective, one of my all time Favorite games was Planetside 1. The vast majority of my time spent in that game was playing counter strategy and logistics on all scales; learning the ins and outs of the game flow, the properties of each weapon (which were functionally distinct), and finding the best application of those concepts at any given moment. My motivation in that game was the satisfaction of making my allies just slightly less worthless.

In Guildwars 1, I rolled multiple characters, and ran each through nearly all the quests in Prophecies and Factions. I'd often group with random players in town, but ultimately that was just an excuse to travel and experiment with different build types (which I tweaked on a constant basis). However, I didn't do this in Night Fall, and only finished Eye of the North once. This was eye opening in hindsight, as NF was weaker on story, while EotN inundated the player with achievements to grind out. The first 2 games had a fair share of achievements- but they were done for their own sake (or for a title), and the pursuit of which were impressive efforts. Yet time and again, I would spends days on end in Tyria and Cantha just wandering from outpost to outpost, or pushing into remote regions just to visit them. My motivation in that game was Wanderlust and Adventure.

But with all that said.... GW2 causes me to struggle with the idea of being a completionst. It started in TF2, with its outrageous approach achievement ideas, many of which I at least attempted to see how hard they were. But GW2 is the first time I've ever been compelled to do/care about milestone achievements. It bothers the crap out of me, because its just a to-do list. And I only first caught awareness of while playing Fall out 3, despite running into similar systems in other games. I'm hoping someday I can figure it out..... because its been getting me to play after work to do dailies, when I should be asleep- and it needs to stop. > @shinjin.3924 said:

> This game seems to have an inverse sense of rewards,

> In the beginning the game is so fun and rewarding,but while you lv up and you reach the *CORE* ( for core i mean you completed almost everything,and you achieved almost all) the game lack of content,lack motivation to keep players playing this game.

> There is nothing to do apart farm over and over the same maps, or do the same train every day.

> There is no competition, all players are just the same,if you played 3000 h or 100 h is the same.

> There is nothing unique to do or to achieve,all can achieve the same.

>

> I think the main problem is the core game the late game call it how you prefer, is like there is nothing that keep you playing this game,because you don't have an objective to achieve anymore.

> When you login to play a game,you say to yourself,i want to have fun,i want to obtain that item,i want kill somebody (pvp),i want do achieve something... that's are the reason why people are playing videogames,and the same reasons why people are not playing gw2.

>

> *Also in 5 years we didn't see any real upgrade on the game,just contents revisited.

> A game is upgraded when receive new content such as : new race,new class,new items,new function,new modality and so... and not when you add new story line and 4 new map with the same old system.

But "lead by the nose objectives" is the reason grind games got out of control in the first place. Enlightenment vs Romanticism. If we work backwards through the history of Fantasy RPG games (which is a corner stone for nearly all MMOs, regardless of genre), there is a noticeable shift over time from storytelling to "busy work". Now if you look at almost any game using a free roam format of any kind, story bits are drip fed through busy work itself. What helps GW however is that Anet has been consistently good with their environmental story telling, making this deficiency less an issue. I've even seen the event system described as you being a first responder to a crisis, which gives an immediate sense of stakes that a normal "!" NPC quest can't emulate. The Renown Hearts are undoubtedly busy work, but their integration into the environment is what makes them so interesting the first few times around. However, Core Tyria gets less creative toward the end zones to take on a Gauntlet feel.... which works well if attention is on it. But it quickly gets distracted by the exploration elements and disconnected events, as the maps were intentionally difficult to traverse without the meta chain. Later iterations of this concept would be more successful; with Twisted Marionette and Dragon Stand being setup to ensure players are in certain areas as the event's story progresses. This likely explains why the leveling process never detracts from the experience, unless you're very specifically needing to be 80 under a time constraint, but the high level areas appear to offer less in terms of placement.

But I find this idea of "Nothing to do" as a fallacy for this game, as theres PLENTY of things to do, with no shortage of reward loops to chase after. What I find though is that those reward systems are disconnected from the world, which disconnects you from the story/environment, and eventually corrals you into a space of Objectivism... and if you think about it, its not that big of stretch given how typical your response/explanation is about what the game fails to present you. Even more so with the fixation over continuous "content additions" for "consumption".

And for the record.... I take direct offense to your presumption of "When you login to play a game,you say to yourself,i want to have fun,i want to obtain that item,i want kill somebody (pvp),i want do achieve something... that's are the reason why people are playing videogames,and the same reasons why people are not playing gw2.". I'm getting burnt out with GW2 precisely because my motivations are being reduced to objective check lists, and being frustrated over how overly complicated those check lists are to get my intended "reward item". I've made 7 Legendary weapons, all crafted or upgraded myself. And I am of the opinion that they become less enthralling after getting them, because the process not only fails to be a satisfying end, but they are a gate way to a new tier of the same cycle. When I first started, I had no interest in Legendary weapons..... until one day I noticed how many materials were sitting in my bank, and decided to pursue Sunrise. I spent the next few weeks generating the gold needed to buy the precursor (this was before HOT), and filling in the gaps for the Gift recipes. I made it, and had a blast with the streaky art effects on all the classes I ran at the time. Then HOT came out, along with Pre-crafting. So again I look in my bank, and have enough resources to make another. So I decided to make Twilight to upgrade to Eternity......but holy crap did I hate myself by the end of it. The Phase 2 section of precrafting is like a sledge hammer in how jarring it is. When I decided to pick up scrapper, and enjoyed it, I made a Juggernaut (with a bought Pre), and was let down by the lack of effects on non-auto skills. Then I made Flameseeker to compliment my Guardian. Then I got introduced to Gen 2.5 crafting with Shining Blade, and then tried to bang out Astral Aria just before POF dropped.

Did you notice it? The insanely short time gap between Shining Blade and Astral Aria. Thats how much gold and materials I was sitting on during that time span... and I got that way by constantly farming to generate wealth, and making legendary weapons to flip on the TP. I am now pursuing Legendary armor via WvW... and the only thing preventing me from doing so is the Skirmish tickets. Not to mention amid this project, I had made 1 Ascended armor set, regeared 4 classes to POF specs, and sunk money into Cutting Edge and Griffon collections.

All of my crafting and collecting pursuits are done solely for the purpose of being stylish while do things...... which apparently is now dominated by crafting, collections, and trying not to die to condi bombs in WvW. It is a self enforcing loop that has been wearing on me for months... and the story in POF has been the one welcomed reprieve from my insanity. But the recent Mount License debacle sent a signal; and as a result, I am coming to realize that the already flimsy attachment I've had to this "wealth" could very well be devalued in the coming months. And when I leave this game for good one day..... the only thing I'm certain will stick with me, long after, is an Infinity Ball, an Apple, and "North Vabbi is best Vabbi".

i still have fun with this game is ok BUT it needs improvements all around their is a lot of things that should be removed and yet other things add to the game !! the game needs a cash store to stay a float with out the rng add to it. and for the recorded books even if your too stubborn to up grade to windows10 and mid range specs of todays standards .

your old out dated comp potatoes should still half way run the game . your going to be very laggy tho but should you have a power house computer potatoes that can run this game into the ground and back and make it melt like butter.

in both of those cases i think they should run with the very best cutting bleeding out edge tech and graphics that can be offered today and that the game can and should be given us all. no matter if you got the baked potato comp or the super baking potato comp .

The game is rewarding for me in several ways. I am exploring a lot and play a lot of _I dare you cannot reach..._ with myself. Getting that done or ending up in a place which I should not be able to reach is quite rewarding for me. Sometimes I end up in places which are guarded. Few days ago I found an extremely powerful creature guarding a chest in the top-right corner of vabbi. My curiousity persuaded me to stay and try, but I hardly made 1% damge in a minute. I asked for help in my guild, the usual result. Sometimes I wonder why I even ask. Since PoF started, mapchat was the greater help in everything. Anyway quickly calculated how long it would take me to beat this thing into the ground, nearly two hours. I accepted the challenge anyway. After an eternity I had him down to 15%. Two guys with a legendary armor and AP count 33k+ showed up. They lured the boss out of the safety bubble and ran away. In the end I died. I returned and fought for another 1.5 hours until it finally blew up. I received an achievement and some meh loot. But the feeling in the moment of triumph was priceless. Challenges like this are quite motivating and often lead me to redesigns of my builds. In this case, it was necessary and my damage nearly trippled now. Which is a welcome side-effect.

My first ascended backpiece was a mystic forge recipe, not the blades. Back then it took me nearly a year to gather the materials. Years later I tried to get my first ascended full set on my main. Took me nearly a year to get the jobs to 500 and another to get the armor+weapons. Compared to the aggressive farm machines, I can be seen as a noob. Not willing to grind, unable to play the market and not willing to farm fractals. I reached the 150 AR on both my ascended sets a few months ago, both on the same char. And just a few days later, I ended up in a level 98 fractal, which was hardly as difficult as I expected it to be. Next stop, CM runs.

The scribe was a new challenge I started a few weeks ago. I wanted to create Uzolan's Orchestra decoration for my guild for xmas. Getting the scribe to 400 was painful, because I had to hurry to get the collection done in time. When the collection was dealt with, I started collecting materials and realized I had to make a decision. My legendary or the Orchestra? As I was so close to the end, I ended up with the decoration. Wanted to prepare everything until the final craft. I asked again in my guild, the scribes, if I keep a decoration I craft in my inventory. Again no answer, so my curiousity won again. And this time I lost, because the damn blueprint was sent directly into the assembly >_>. And everyone was able to read it in the guild-history. So I made another quick decision and crafted it. Now I need to find something new for xmas, but whenever I travel to the GH, I always stop by and listen to the orchestra. It is a wonderful feeling to stand infront of it, knowing you have done it by yourself. I find myself visiting the GH more often recently ^^.

At last I have to admit, that I am a hopeless JP addict. I run some of them daily, I do tours through several of them at least once a week. Completing them became easier over the years. I found a way to gain useful rewards out of them, so it is always a challenge and a gamble for me. It is a lot of fun to run them, help people through them (without a mesmer) and feel their moment of reward with them. On the other hand I challenge myself to outrun skippers and mountusers. I also end up doing small races against other people, who are also into JPs. Whenever I do not know what to do, I do JPs. Or I build them in the GH. Recently I designed a mount-race-track. I wonder if I ever get enough people to make a race ^^. Decorating the guildhall is also quite rewarding for me, although building it up was a very dark and deep gold-sink.

Story and achievements/skins are nice motivations and rewards. But they are never as rewarding as the things I wrote above. The Gemstore? I purchase things once in a while and I purchase gem-cards to support the game, because I like to play it. But I never judge the sales. None of these things are actually required for progression.

So to answer OP's question. Yes, for me it feels rewarding.

The game is generally quite rewarding. There's plenty to work for and towards, particularly for fashionwars. PoF is disappointing for rerwards tho.

HoT story rewards gave choices of exotic armour, new sigils, choices of currencies and gems that would help you towards multiple goals. It was actually worth playing through the story more than once. PoF...not so much. The story rewards are exactly the same as map rewards, unless you want one of 4 new back pieces. Any gear tends to be rare quality and one set only. You don't like that set, tough.

The eSpec weapons are locked behind a gold-wall, which isn't fun. Gryphon mount is locked behind a gold-wall. In HoT you could play content to eventually get what you needed. PoF pony up or GTFO. I'm bored of PoF already, simply because there's no amount of playing will net what you need the espec weapons, and no rewards for story completion are worth having. Meanwhile my newer toons are doing Tyria map completion and it's far more interesting and rewarding.

I'm an old timer for this game, and I found the initial progression very rewarding. Going from a noob to winning some outnumber situations was a nice feeling. The game has changed a lot since then, and I'm not sure the same skill thresholds exist anymore. I know the build I play now is total faceroll, but it's the only way to deal with the meta.

However, I still think this game is worth checking out. If you've never tried all the jumping puzzles, done SAB, participated in a long drawn out siege battle, or turned the tables on a gank squad, you haven't gotten to experience most of what this game offers.

It greatly depends on your taste though, but pvp right now is loopy. (Unless you like picking the between a bunch of faceroll builds)

If you feel rewarding by crafting 1 leg ,some people never feel rewarding by completing all legendary weaps.

This don't make the game rewarding if you keep using your personal point of view.

You have to valuate the game from an esternal point, and as i said the player (real player not the random player,beacuse randoms like anything)

login in gw2 and after he played it for 5 years,have nothing to do,nothing.

Doing the same over and over,is a robotic automation,is not playing the game.

I think that more clear than this can't be,if you don't get the concept than you are classified as random and so you like the game and feel rewarding when the truth is it is not a rewarding game.

> @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> Rewarding is a subjective term.

> You make what rewarding is to you.

> My "rewarding' us legendary gears and cheevo hunting. I just forged Aurora last night, was neat.

> Some one else's mights be #1 in PvP or speed clears. Or collecting every skin.

> You make what you want, rewarding.

There is none of what you mentioned in the new expansion though. Some people are just already done with the old content, wich you named, and wanted a new influx in the expansion, those people are very right to be disappointed.

> @HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

> The game is rewarding for me in several ways. I am exploring a lot and play a lot of _I dare you cannot reach..._ with myself. Getting that done or ending up in a place which I should not be able to reach is quite rewarding for me. Sometimes I end up in places which are guarded. Few days ago I found an extremely powerful creature guarding a chest in the top-right corner of vabbi. My curiousity persuaded me to stay and try, but I hardly made 1% damge in a minute. I asked for help in my guild, the usual result. Sometimes I wonder why I even ask. Since PoF started, mapchat was the greater help in everything. Anyway quickly calculated how long it would take me to beat this thing into the ground, nearly two hours. I accepted the challenge anyway. After an eternity I had him down to 15%. Two guys with a legendary armor and AP count 33k+ showed up. They lured the boss out of the safety bubble and ran away. In the end I died. I returned and fought for another 1.5 hours until it finally blew up. I received an achievement and some meh loot. But the feeling in the moment of triumph was priceless. Challenges like this are quite motivating and often lead me to redesigns of my builds. In this case, it was necessary and my damage nearly trippled now. Which is a welcome side-effect.

>

> My first ascended backpiece was a mystic forge recipe, not the blades. Back then it took me nearly a year to gather the materials. Years later I tried to get my first ascended full set on my main. Took me nearly a year to get the jobs to 500 and another to get the armor+weapons. Compared to the aggressive farm machines, I can be seen as a noob. Not willing to grind, unable to play the market and not willing to farm fractals. I reached the 150 AR on both my ascended sets a few months ago, both on the same char. And just a few days later, I ended up in a level 98 fractal, which was hardly as difficult as I expected it to be. Next stop, CM runs.

>

> The scribe was a new challenge I started a few weeks ago. I wanted to create Uzolan's Orchestra decoration for my guild for xmas. Getting the scribe to 400 was painful, because I had to hurry to get the collection done in time. When the collection was dealt with, I started collecting materials and realized I had to make a decision. My legendary or the Orchestra? As I was so close to the end, I ended up with the decoration. Wanted to prepare everything until the final craft. I asked again in my guild, the scribes, if I keep a decoration I craft in my inventory. Again no answer, so my curiousity won again. And this time I lost, because the kitten blueprint was sent directly into the assembly >_>. And everyone was able to read it in the guild-history. So I made another quick decision and crafted it. Now I need to find something new for xmas, but whenever I travel to the GH, I always stop by and listen to the orchestra. It is a wonderful feeling to stand infront of it, knowing you have done it by yourself. I find myself visiting the GH more often recently ^^.

>

> At last I have to admit, that I am a hopeless JP addict. I run some of them daily, I do tours through several of them at least once a week. Completing them became easier over the years. I found a way to gain useful rewards out of them, so it is always a challenge and a gamble for me. It is a lot of fun to run them, help people through them (without a mesmer) and feel their moment of reward with them. On the other hand I challenge myself to outrun skippers and mountusers. I also end up doing small races against other people, who are also into JPs. Whenever I do not know what to do, I do JPs. Or I build them in the GH. Recently I designed a mount-race-track. I wonder if I ever get enough people to make a race ^^. Decorating the guildhall is also quite rewarding for me, although building it up was a very dark and deep gold-sink.

>

> Story and achievements/skins are nice motivations and rewards. But they are never as rewarding as the things I wrote above. The Gemstore? I purchase things once in a while and I purchase gem-cards to support the game, because I like to play it. But I never judge the sales. None of these things are actually required for progression.

>

> So to answer OP's question. Yes, for me it feels rewarding.

>

This all sounds really good, but veteran players are done with this stuff, we expected the expansion to bring something new, it didn't at all. You can say "set your own personal goals" all you want, but if there is nothing really worth going for in the expac, you have a problem.

All i hear from the people that are saying "the game is rewarding to me" is that they are still busy doing old content. Wich is fine and power to you, but that doesn't give you the right to say, of course the game is still rewarding, look at me doing all this old content. You have to understand that for veterans of the game that old content is in the past and completed. The new expansion, wich we payed for, was supposed to give us more to do, as HoT did. But it didn't. It's a 1 run complete and then nothing to do expansion. The quality was great for that one run, but with a new expansion coming out, "go back and do some old stuff" is the last thing you want to hear out of your playerbase. Even after 9 months of content drought in HoT, HoT itself was still rewarding if you set personal goals and tried to achieve them, i played more in the HoT areas then anywhere else in Tyria in the 2 years between HoT and PoF. Not even 2 months after PoF, it doesn't feel rewarding anymore. It's not been 2 months and in those 2 months i've played more hours of other content then PoF content. This is not acceptable. That's the issue.