Anet switched to higher ping Amazon servers since 2 weeks ago

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you guys in past two weeks, felt what we guys who live in SEA feel since start of game but much stronger?

Our ping is minimum 450 and for that reason we don't do PVP. A friend of mine who is from SEA too and was explaining his PVP experience in guild Teamspeak and I laughed so hard that I fell from chair.

We only complain when our ping goes above 700 and then players in US tell us, "so don't play a while until ping drops" and it stings!

> @bobsort.4097 said:

> So you guys in past two weeks, felt what we guys who live in SEA feel since start of game but much stronger?

>

> Our ping is minimum 450 and for that reason we don't do PVP. A friend of mine who is from SEA too and was explaining his PVP experience in guild Teamspeak and I laughed so hard that I fell from chair.

>

> We only complain when our ping goes above 700 and then players in US tell us, "so don't play a while until ping drops" and it stings!

I get it sucks playing from a long distance. But you have to understand people who have played at a high level mechanically in this game (worked to improve their mechanics) being unable to play at the level they have been playing at for years is quite unfortunate and discouraging.

lol went from 20-40 ping over in california to about 90-100. So i guess besides the lack of a actual pvp team to improve the community and gameplay, there is a sever lack of caring in general about it's playerbase. As long as people go to the gem store and give them more money, nothing will change. That's why i haven't bought gems in ages and why i only play unranaked. PvP can be officially called Dead. We can put the R.I.P stone out over it's grave and the quote will be " PvP it never had a chance in gw2"

Edit: Oh awesome when around large groups it goes up to 130 ping. That's nice.

> @Sismis.5390 said:

> > @Ziggityzog.7389 said:

> > They patched them or sped them up a bit it seems.. im getting 50-70 ping now instead of 100-120 like for 2 weeks or 20-30 weeks ago. A bit better.

>

> The Irony player population droped thats why ^^ nothing got changed

Evidence of this?

I'm now having the same latency on GW2 than on Blade & Soul.

I think that's the new standard for NCSoft.

And now that their mobile division is making 5 times the revenue of all their computer games combined, it can only get worse.

All hail mobile games! Or go kitten yourself.

These new servers are flat out trash, and that might be putting it nicely. In Austin, I went from steady 30-40 to 80-90 with peaks in the 300s. Often times in games it stays in the 120s which is also unplayable. As if the dwindling player base wasn't enough reason to stop playing.

In case you guys have not seen it yet.

Question on reddit:

> Any chance of using central US servers at least for ranked PvP? South-West players went from having modest 50-70 ping to 90-110+ due to this change. If you're a competitive player it's very noticeable and is negatively affecting match outcomes. I realize that it's statistically better for most players, but I don't quite understand the reason for moving from a location that is seemingly centered to provide even ping throughout the US to an east coast location.

Anet response:

> Unfortunately the game doesn't work in a way that makes it practical to have "offshoot" datacenters. We've thought about placing game servers in various places like a lot of PvP games do, but our megaserver architecture (in use since 2005) works better with a couple of big datacenters.

More information here:

Well you guys realise this is none of our business they do as they pleased. For real... A company follow its shareholders not their customers regarding their business management. Anti-capitalist liberal customer will always ask answers that is none of his business. That's when PR department comes into play. xD

> @FtoPScrub.5476 said:

> In case you guys have not seen it yet.

>

> Question on reddit:

> > Any chance of using central US servers at least for ranked PvP? South-West players went from having modest 50-70 ping to 90-110+ due to this change. If you're a competitive player it's very noticeable and is negatively affecting match outcomes. I realize that it's statistically better for most players, but I don't quite understand the reason for moving from a location that is seemingly centered to provide even ping throughout the US to an east coast location.

>

> Anet response:

> > Unfortunately the game doesn't work in a way that makes it practical to have "offshoot" datacenters. We've thought about placing game servers in various places like a lot of PvP games do, but our megaserver architecture (in use since 2005) works better with a couple of big datacenters.

>

> More information here:

>

Seems like an informative thread with an active, helpful dev. Too bad that's on Reddit and not the official forums.

> @FtoPScrub.5476 said:

>

> Question on reddit:

> > Any chance of using central US servers at least for ranked PvP? South-West players went from having modest 50-70 ping to 90-110+ due to this change. If you're a competitive player it's very noticeable and is negatively affecting match outcomes. I realize that it's statistically better for most players, but I don't quite understand the reason for moving from a location that is seemingly centered to provide even ping throughout the US to an east coast location.

>

> Anet response:

> > Unfortunately the game doesn't work in a way that makes it practical to have "offshoot" datacenters. We've thought about placing game servers in various places like a lot of PvP games do, but our megaserver architecture (in use since 2005) works better with a couple of big datacenters.

>

> More information here:

>

The response from anet here seems to be talking about how they won't implement multiple pvp server locations.

What I and several others are suggesting is to just use one server (the original texas one) to host all pvp instances. Right now it's a random mix.

My ping actually got quite a bit better almost instantly. Went from 120 average to 70 or lower. The WvW lag kittenshow is still a thing, but the bad hop(s) that was bottlenecking my connection to the server is gone. I'd post pic of old traceroute and one now if I had one from before. Just so you don't think I'm trolling ^_^ I hope they can fix the issue for the ppl negatively affected. But not to my detriment though by going back to the old servers.

> @FtoPScrub.5476 said:

>

> Question on reddit:

>

> Anet response:

>

> More information here:

>

Well, that guy just kept on saying that the connection got better for the east coast (ovb) and it didn't matter if it got worse for everyone else since their majority is there...

Guess I am not buying any more gems.