[PvP]Elementalist is a pure PvE only class

Arheundel.6451

Ele was a VERY good hybrid class pre-POF, a small vocal minority wanted it to be a glass cannon pure DPS with the highest damage. They kept nerfing all it's utility, sustain, survivability, healing, etc due to PVP. They gutted our sustain and group healing without being a pure healer due to PVE. They also gutted tempest damage to the ground to make room for their shiny new weaver spec that's supposed to be a "selfish dps". I guess the developers listened to this small vocal minority.

Now ele just a glass cannon with nothing else - sure you can play tempest, but why would I ever bring a tempest that provides Z E R O utility and no dps increase over a druid? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want to play that either(boring). Tempest healing is also very boring and not interactive at all, the spec was clearly not designed to be a "healer" as it has fire, lightning, and earth overloads which scream "damage".

Water and earth trees have been completely ignored since HOT besides nerfs, they are such awful trees compared to other classes healer/condi/tank trees. You gain essentially NOTHING from your healer tree(water) on self sustain and the earth tree is almost no survivability boost at all. Compare this to say, guardians which gains a substantial amount of sustain from it's healer tree, as well as a whopping +300 vit(remember when traits gave 300 of a stat? good times for ele, made up for their CRAP base stats), and their tank tree ACTUALLY gives them nice defensive bonuses to help them survive. These are how trees should be - ele's tank/healer tree's are so outdated they don't belong in POF alongside every other classes fully fleshed out updated skill trees.

I am incredibly disappointed with the direction they took my favorite class for 3+ years since vanilla GW2.

If you're one of those ele's who only wanted to be a "glass cannon pure dps" and wanted to do the most damage, I'm sure you're happy and enjoying weaver and POF. However, if you were not that type of ele, you're probably extremely disappointed as I am and moved onto another class by now, just as I have.

I miss Elementalist.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> Ele was a VERY good hybrid class pre-POF, a small vocal minority wanted it to be a glass cannon pure DPS with the highest damage. They kept nerfing all it's utility, sustain, survivability, healing, etc due to PVP. They gutted our sustain and group healing without being a pure healer due to PVE. They also gutted tempest damage to the ground to make room for their shiny new weaver spec that's supposed to be a "selfish dps". I guess the developers listened to this small vocal minority.

Wrong. Ele didn't have a good enough PvE niche beyond glass cannon. It's not that we wanted it - though it's what I personally like most - it's that it needs that niche in order to remain a viable class in the high-end PvE. Nerfing Tempest damage seemed a bit too harsh, but after switching to Weaver I feel it's fair. Weaver is just so much more fragile. It had to offer superior damage, or there'd be no place for it.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> Now ele just a glass cannon with nothing else - sure you can play tempest, but why would I ever bring a tempest that provides Z E R O utility and no dps increase over a druid? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want to play that either(boring). Tempest healing is also very boring and not interactive at all, the spec was clearly not designed to be a "healer" as it has fire, lightning, and earth overloads which scream "damage".

Wrong again. Tempest offers better sustain than the druid, and 100% uptime of a boosted Protection. It doesn't have a place in a speed run for sure. But it's a solid choice to help a struggling group. You can easily carry random-comp pug fractal groups with a heal Tempest and while you can't technically carry a raid group with it, it can make a fight that much easier.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> Water and earth trees have been completely ignored since HOT besides nerfs, they are such awful trees compared to other classes healer/condi/tank trees. You gain essentially NOTHING from your healer tree(water) on self sustain and the earth tree is almost no survivability boost at all. Compare this to say, guardians which gains a substantial amount of sustain from it's healer tree, as well as a whopping +300 vit(remember when traits gave 300 of a stat? good times for ele, made up for their CRAP base stats), and their tank tree ACTUALLY gives them nice defensive bonuses to help them survive. These are how trees should be - ele's tank/healer tree's are so outdated they don't belong in POF alongside every other classes fully fleshed out updated skill trees.

I'm starting to repeat myself, but I have to. Wrong.

Water is essential for your support, with either the aura share or the soothing mist grandmasters. Both builds are viable, and both do really good sustain, but the aura build is a bit more versatile. Furthermore, you're comparing a mere 300 stat trait with what ele has? That's ridiculous. 300 vit translates into 3k hp. Slap it over the minimum hp value (11625, a no-vit ele or guard) and the stat gives you ~26% increase of your effective hp (3000/11625 = 0.258). The -40% protection, on the other hand, translates into **66%** increase in your effective hp (1 / (1-0.4) = 1.666...). Also note that increasing your health pool *decreases* the value of any heals by the same factor, while increasing eHP by reducing incoming damage *increases* the value of the heals, again, by the same factor. The aura-shared protection is leaps and bounds better than a +300 vit trait nobody cares about.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> If you're one of those ele's who only wanted to be a "glass cannon pure dps" and wanted to do the most damage, I'm sure you're happy and enjoying weaver and POF. However, if you were not that type of ele, you're probably extremely disappointed as I am and moved onto another class by now, just as I have.

>

> I miss Elementalist.

I actually play both ways. Most of the time I stick to dpsing, but when my group is having hard times I slap my healing gear, switch to Tempest and all of a sudden the group doesn't struggle any more. The only thing I miss is full build template support, although arcdps helps in this respect.

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > Ele was a VERY good hybrid class pre-POF, a small vocal minority wanted it to be a glass cannon pure DPS with the highest damage. They kept nerfing all it's utility, sustain, survivability, healing, etc due to PVP. They gutted our sustain and group healing without being a pure healer due to PVE. They also gutted tempest damage to the ground to make room for their shiny new weaver spec that's supposed to be a "selfish dps". I guess the developers listened to this small vocal minority.

>

> Wrong. Ele didn't have a good enough PvE niche beyond glass cannon. It's not that we wanted it - though it's what I personally like most - it's that it needs that niche in order to remain a viable class in the high-end PvE. Nerfing Tempest damage seemed a bit too harsh, but after switching to Weaver I feel it's fair. Weaver is just so much more fragile. It had to offer superior damage, or there'd be no place for it.

>

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > Now ele just a glass cannon with nothing else - sure you can play tempest, but why would I ever bring a tempest that provides Z E R O utility and no dps increase over a druid? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want to play that either(boring). Tempest healing is also very boring and not interactive at all, the spec was clearly not designed to be a "healer" as it has fire, lightning, and earth overloads which scream "damage".

>

> Wrong again. Tempest offers better sustain than the druid, and 100% uptime of a boosted Protection. It doesn't have a place in a speed run for sure. But it's a solid choice to help a struggling group. You can easily carry random-comp pug fractal groups with a heal Tempest and while you can't technically carry a raid group with it, it can make a fight that much easier.

>

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > Water and earth trees have been completely ignored since HOT besides nerfs, they are such awful trees compared to other classes healer/condi/tank trees. You gain essentially NOTHING from your healer tree(water) on self sustain and the earth tree is almost no survivability boost at all. Compare this to say, guardians which gains a substantial amount of sustain from it's healer tree, as well as a whopping +300 vit(remember when traits gave 300 of a stat? good times for ele, made up for their CRAP base stats), and their tank tree ACTUALLY gives them nice defensive bonuses to help them survive. These are how trees should be - ele's tank/healer tree's are so outdated they don't belong in POF alongside every other classes fully fleshed out updated skill trees.

>

> I'm starting to repeat myself, but I have to. Wrong.

> Water is essential for your support, with either the aura share or the soothing mist grandmasters. Both builds are viable, and both do really good sustain, but the aura build is a bit more versatile. Furthermore, you're comparing a mere 300 stat trait with what ele has? That's ridiculous. 300 vit translates into 3k hp. Slap it over the minimum hp value (11625, a no-vit ele or guard) and the stat gives you ~26% increase of your effective hp (3000/11625 = 0.258). The -40% protection, on the other hand, translates into **66%** increase in your effective hp (1 / (1-0.4) = 1.666...). Also note that increasing your health pool *decreases* the value of any heals by the same factor, while increasing eHP by reducing incoming damage *increases* the value of the heals, again, by the same factor. The aura-shared protection is leaps and bounds better than a +300 vit trait nobody cares about.

>

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > If you're one of those ele's who only wanted to be a "glass cannon pure dps" and wanted to do the most damage, I'm sure you're happy and enjoying weaver and POF. However, if you were not that type of ele, you're probably extremely disappointed as I am and moved onto another class by now, just as I have.

> >

> > I miss Elementalist.

>

> I actually play both ways. Most of the time I stick to dpsing, but when my group is having hard times I slap my healing gear, switch to Tempest and all of a sudden the group doesn't struggle any more. The only thing I miss is full build template support, although arcdps helps in this respect.

You may have forgotten the title of the thread but let me remind you : **Elementalist is a pure PvE only class**, thank you for further proving my point ...you have been doing that since your first post :" ele is good as backliner in WvW"...that's basically PvE..unless we want to pretend that hiding behind a 50 man human wall should be considered PvP.

• 5 months later...

I can’t agree more with the post lol!! I want to main ele simply because I prefer channel elements but it totally sucks compare to necro or Mesmer... I had no idea what I’m really doing with scourge or Mirage but I tried it at rank pvp and easily rank up to top 100 player platinum..and when I try to rank pvp with my weaver and tempest... I drop my rank all the way back to gold lol!! Ele sucks pvp and I have wayyyy more practice on my ele than my scourge or mirage and still sucks. I think overload should not have the 5 CD cool down when you switch Attunement because it’s already stupid enough you have to stand still get burst by people for 5 second straight why on earth there is 5 CD cooldown when you attuned to different element... and let’s not even talk about weaver... only viable build for pvp is stupid melee s/d you can’t range weaver pvp it’s a suicide mission.

So ele have the least HP compare to Mesmer and necromancer however with the META it can only pvp in melee form but Mesmer and necromancer can excel in range pvp.. whoever designed this for ele is fxxking stupid lol