Armor for all Seasons

Just like there is racial armor, guild armor, and armor specified for completing achievements, why can't there be Legendary armor for those who do specific areas of Guild Wars: PvP, WvW, Raids, Fractals, or PvE?

I'm not asking for anything to be given me or any other player, but a chance to earn something that may otherwise be out of my reach due to my playing style.

There are small steps between crafting Basic -> Fine -> Masterwork -> Rare -> Exotic -> (a bit more for) Ascended armor, but a monumental leap to get to Legendary status.

What's the logic? and don't tell me it's because the armor isn't meant for everyone, that's not a reason that's an excuse.

The griffon mount was a good gold-sink, why not allow Legendary armor to be a gold-sink as well?

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Just like there is racial armor, guild armor, and armor specified for completing achievements, why can't there be Legendary armor for those who do specific areas of Guild Wars: PvP, WvW, Raids, Fractals, or PvE?

Considering that Raids, Fractals, Dungeons, and open world are considered PVE, you _can_ obtain Legendary armor from by focusing on one of the three aspects of the game, i.e. PvP, WvW, and PvE.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

Legendary armor is also already a pretty big gold sink. It's been about 250g+ for each piece of legendary WvW gear I've created.

Then add around 90-120 hours for Pips. Gold wise that's around 2250 gold a piece if you're doing SW. Granted we could be more reasonable and say 270-500 gold. I'm pretty sure I can buy a raid clear for less than the 2250.

This can vary by pip generation but considering how long it takes to get 150 levels (Let's say 12 SMC caps an hour, 12k XP, 2.4 levels an hour, 40-62.5 hours to get to 150 for one extra pip, 400 hours to next extra pip approximately)

Also, 90 hours of work at work is $900 give or take minimum wage amount & taxes. That gets you a lot of gold.

Gold based legendary would take away from the game, make it Pay to win, and remove a lot of achievement from the game.

> @Ojimaru.8970 said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Just like there is racial armor, guild armor, and armor specified for completing achievements, why can't there be Legendary armor for those who do specific areas of Guild Wars: PvP, WvW, Raids, Fractals, or PvE?

>

> Considering that Raids, Fractals, Dungeons, and open world are considered PVE, you _can_ obtain Legendary armor from by focusing on one of the three aspects of the game, i.e. PvP, WvW, and PvE.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

>

>

Please stop with this logic. If raids, fractals, dungeons and open world are just the same because they are all Player vs Environment, then Structured PvP and WVW are also the same, because they are both Player vs Player.

Open world, Fractals and Raids are TOTALLY different content, appealling to totally different player groups. Stop putting them in the same bag.

> @Ojimaru.8970 said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Just like there is racial armor, guild armor, and armor specified for completing achievements, why can't there be Legendary armor for those who do specific areas of Guild Wars: PvP, WvW, Raids, Fractals, or PvE?

>

> Considering that Raids, Fractals, Dungeons, and open world are considered PVE, you _can_ obtain Legendary armor from by focusing on one of the three aspects of the game, i.e. PvP, WvW, and PvE.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

>

>

Raids may be considered to be a part of PvE, but they are a niche subcontent majority of PvE players do not play. Raids and other parts of PvE are a single mode only insamuch as WvW and sPvP are one. So, in theory maybe, but in practice not so much.

No, you can't get legendary armor focusing on PvE. You can get it focusing on _raids_. That's not the same.

Maybe I should put it this way: Make a way for players who prefer to solo the game (therefore not in PvP, Raids, Dungeons, Fractals, etc) to obtain Legendary items.

Does that take away from the game or does it give more players a reason to continue to play that would normally be thinking of putting the game away?

I'm not looking for ways to lower the bar or standards on requirements, just modify how they are acquired.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Maybe I should put it this way: Make a way for players who prefer to solo the game (therefore not in PvP, Raids, Dungeons, Fractals, etc) to obtain Legendary items.

> Does that take away from the game or does it give more players a reason to continue to play that would normally be thinking of putting the game away?

> I'm not looking for ways to lower the bar or standards on requirements, just modify how they are acquired.

that's a nice way to put it, even if it's some kind of story that can only be done solo but becomes more and more difficult i would be a happy player. ^_^

You can "solo" earn legendaries in WvW and PvP.

If I want to I can roam, solo flip camps, treb walls, repair things, objective capture, etc that all boil down to one thing: Me vs pve, me vs repetition, me vs other players. That isn't quite the most interesting method for everyone though.

If you want content l that has story consider Mawdrew & Mawdrew II, Draconis backpack, Aurora (especially Aurora), legendary weapons, and similar content.

I recently mapped out all the requirements for Legendary armor and weapons. I have ruled out Legendary armor (because of raids) and some weapons because of some insane jumping puzzles. There is still plenty to aim for and hopefully in the future there will be more ways to get stats-switching armor besides raiding.

Can wvw legendary armor be used outside wvw?

> @endurio.7065 said:

> I recently mapped out all the requirements for Legendary armor and weapons. I have ruled out Legendary armor (because of raids) and some weapons because of some insane jumping puzzles. There is still plenty to aim for and hopefully in the future there will be more ways to get stats-switching armor besides raiding.

> Can wvw legendary armor be used outside wvw?

The insane JPs can sometimes be done in a group or better with a Chrono (If you're doing PvP or wvw track you will have the tomes and points of heroic to fully level and hero point a level 80 Chrono).

WvW and PvP gear can be used anywhere.

WvW gear is about 96 hours +380g per piece depending on how many of that mats you have. The main thing holding you on this one is pips. Takes about 4 weeks a piece.

PvP is faster time wise but can only do one piece per season I believe unless you get the tournement style one. Same +380g cost. Pips is also the time factor here I believe.

Raid gear has a greater cost that exceeds 380g per piece. Can technically be done in as little as 5-6 weeks.

Edit thanks to @"Astralporing.1957" : 12 weeks minimum for full PvE legendary set.

All prices are less if you have mats, a piece of ascended armor (not the ascended that is transformed into the legendary), etc. The pve mats can be a bit more work both for the achievement and gift. You get one of the gifts from PvP and WvW doing that respective thing effectively.

>

> WvW and PvP gear can be used anywhere.

>

That is great news for me, although I am not an experienced wvw player, it is something that I could see myself doing and enjoying.

Acquiring the legendary is more about the journey, it is a long term goal, but still it must be achievable in the mind of the player to keep the interest going. Every little sub task that can be ticked off from the list brings is a small step closer to the ultimate goal, the sense of progression keeps us going. I may never achieve/collect everything needed but it will keep me busy and interested to continue playing. As long as Anet can limit excessive grinding and provide us with multiple options.

> @Ardid.7203 said:

> > @Ojimaru.8970 said:

> > > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > > Just like there is racial armor, guild armor, and armor specified for completing achievements, why can't there be Legendary armor for those who do specific areas of Guild Wars: PvP, WvW, Raids, Fractals, or PvE?

> >

> > Considering that Raids, Fractals, Dungeons, and open world are considered PVE, you _can_ obtain Legendary armor from by focusing on one of the three aspects of the game, i.e. PvP, WvW, and PvE.

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

> >

> >

>

> Please stop with this logic. If raids, fractals, dungeons and open world are just the same because they are all Player vs Environment, then Structured PvP and WVW are also the same, because they are both Player vs Player.

> Open world, Fractals and Raids are TOTALLY different content, appealling to totally different player groups. Stop putting them in the same bag.

See..... you're not wrong, but it does miss the point. Anet doesn't organize its content production by archetype, and the teams assigned to create content for them. And in a lot of cases, those teams handle multiple, similar branches of Content. They have 3 lead class designers who do balance across all game modes..... but they've also had the Raid team make a pass at class balance, because they weren't functioning consistently enough for Raid's encounter design. When those changes were made, sPvP and WvW were NOT primary considerations, or motivation for those changes, and had a major knock on effect to the PvP/WvW meta as a result.

Where you missed the point, and why PvP/WvW legendary armor doesn't actually make sense, is that PvE is traditionally where the vast majority of the game's cosmetic components are found. The remainder are Gem store exclusives. WvW specific skins were a very recent inclusion- and prior to that PvE skins (now better referred to as Core skins) were purchasable through WvW as an alternative to crafting and karma unlocks. PvP had its own skinning system prior to the big 2014 update, tied to the ranking system and mystic forge recipes; though many of these were just equivalents to the PvE versions, with some unique skins exclusive to tournaments and season play rewards.

Fractals, Raids, and Open world are rightfully lumped together, because they are content made to be consumed, and designed by teams designated for that purpose. sPvP and WvW fall under the "Competitive" umbrella, focusing almost exclusively on player interaction and "build vs build" balance; and have a separate team assigned to handling it, despite huge overlaps created by their unified combat system. Another thread running through the PvE content blocks is how all follow the same basic structure, but are differentiated by difficulty and level of organization; just as sPvP and WvW are differentiated on the organizational level and operational scale. And if you really want to argue what makes a game mode different, I would put forth the hypothesis that the demand for "skill splitting" can make for an accurate metric of how functionally different a content block is. A change in a skill made for sPvP or WvW can have can have a drastically different outcome in the other. But a skill change made for PvE has a consistently similar effect across each of those content blocks, with raids being extra sensitive, due to how it handles performance thresholds.

> @Lunarlife.5128 said:

> > @endurio.7065 said:

> > I recently mapped out all the requirements for Legendary armor and weapons. I have ruled out Legendary armor (because of raids) and some weapons because of some insane jumping puzzles. There is still plenty to aim for and hopefully in the future there will be more ways to get stats-switching armor besides raiding.

> > Can wvw legendary armor be used outside wvw?

>

> The insane JPs can sometimes be done in a group or better with a Chrono (If you're doing PvP or wvw track you will have the tomes and points of heroic to fully level and hero point a level 80 Chrono).

>

> WvW and PvP gear can be used anywhere.

>

> WvW gear is about 96 hours +380g per piece depending on how many of that mats you have. The main thing holding you on this one is pips. Takes about 4 weeks a piece.

>

> PvP is faster time wise but can only do one piece per season I believe unless you get the tournement style one. Same +380g cost. Pips is also the time factor here I believe.

>

> Raid gear has a greater cost that exceeds 380g per piece. Can technically be done in as little as 5-6 weeks.

>

> All prices are less if you have mats, a piece of ascended armor (not the ascended that is transformed into the legendary), etc. The pve mats can be a bit more work both for the achievement and gift. You get one of the gifts from PvP and WvW doing that respective thing effectively.

At the moment there is 13 raid event / boss that gives you LI. You need 150 for all pieces which means the at least 12 weeks (if you make all bosses for 11 weeks and 6 on the last one) so realistically that's the minimum you need to wait to get the full set. But this considers that you have all the money in the world (provisioner tokens [also time gated], mystic clovers, matrixes, T3-4-5-6 mats) in hand already.

Now on to addressing the OP. The reason is extremely straight forward....... They don't want to spend art development resources on Legendary armor skins, because the initial attempts came a much higher then normal development cost, and were very poorly received by the community. The reception only makes sense in hindsight, but it shed a huge amount of insight into the Fashion Wars culture, and how prestige items fit into it. Legendary weapons get away with their limited skin choices due to a quirk in the game's buildcraft. Weapons tend to be more permanent fixtures in most builds, and are the most visually pronounced aspect of a skin ensemble, to be easier to read at a distance (a design tenant from PvP that extends to all aspects of the game). This gives weapons a level of independence from the rest of a character costume, as it will be the main thing focused on in tense situations (both cooperatively, and competitively). As a result of this mixture of low variability in build function, and high awareness value in combat, weapon skins tend to stand more on their own merit, making Legendary weapons mostly focused on the pursuit of the Skin itself.

Armor, and by extension Outfits, work in the opposite direction, and have more nuanced concerns as a result. It needs much more careful consideration against the character creation traits, such as face, body type, and proportion scaling- as those all profoundly affect the physical appearance and projected image of the character. Armor also has a much higher utility value due to its Stat distribution function, along with the high build value of runes (almost 1/4 of a build concept), making the practical QOL improvements offered "desirable" by all segments of the player base, regardless of their interest in Fashion wars.

I've asked many raider in my guilds, and most of them have skined over their Legendary armor, because the they don't like the appearance. When posed with the question of why get the Legendary armor if they don't like the skin, the unanimous response was it being mechanically "best in slot". This is where the whole concept of Legendary armor as a prestige item starts to fall apart, as the stats/rune swap is such a significant QOL improvement, that people are willing to to put in both the gold and effort required to obtain the mechanical advantage, but put little to no value in the skin as a symbol of prestige. Many players made an Aurora for the same reason, as its a best in slot Accessory item, but have mixed responses about the particle effects associated with it.

If WvW and PvP armors got unique skins, we'd still be faced with the same problem..... a significant percentage of the people pursuing it aren't interested in the specific skin, but only the QOL improvement of the gear tier itself. This shouldn't come to anyone's surprise when you consider how often Ascended armor was also skinned over, as nearly all of its value is in the stat bonus and infusion slots. Now adding to all of this is how the ability to mix and match Armor pieces can result in extremely appealing visual styles, that can compliment or work independently from weapon skins to complete a look. This leads to a much higher chance of a fashion minded player to break apart the armor skin set, and replace it with pieces that may look better in combination.

Anet recognizes the high desirability of the Stat/Rune swapping on armor, which is precisely WHY they implemented it as part of the reward system, rather then a baseline QOL feature, despite the game needing this type of solution for a long time.