Wanted to say well done.

silor.5034

So after being away for a bit over 3 years I returned just a few days before the Halloween festivities started, as of now I have purchased the new PoF content and am really enjoying it, the mounts are fun and I like how they have been integrated into the game, the new area has been entertaining although I have just started that and the story I am having fun with i,. and am looking forward to see where you take this in the future.

Although there are areas I feel can use improving or maybe expanding apon what you have started just wanted to say over all I think you did a good job with it.

Thank for the work you put in here.

Well, since this thread has attracted attention, let me add a compliment.

I love how my raptor looks around, how it skids to a halt, how my character pats it on the neck now and then, how it looks off to the side when it's running, how it lies down or jumps up on alert or shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling. I love rocketing off on a high-speed leap. I love seeing other peoples' raptors leaping in the distance. The devs took what could have been a wonderful mechanic in its own right and gave it life and personality and beauty. Kudos on doing something beyond fabulous. (The other mounts are probably equally good, but the raptor is the one I spend the most time with.)

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

>

> This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

You don't think a raptor would shake itself when it's got a heavy adventurer sitting on an itchy saddle on its back? :D

I have to agree. The expansion is a lot of fun. The way mounts were done was just brilliant. I'm a huge fan of mounts in general, and the way Anet implemented them is first rate. Obviously it's not perfect and there are things I would change (hearts lol), but over all, this was a very enjoyable expansion.

> @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

>

> This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

How do we know raptors don't act this way?

> @LUST.7241 said:

> > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

> >

> > This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

>

> How do we know raptors don't act this way?

I'd argue that we have evidence it is exactly how they would act - we have a lot of evidence of the genetic similarities between modern birds and ancient dinosaurs. Since modern birds will periodically shake themselves similarly, I'd say it fits very well. Another point on the raptor is, when it does look to the side at something nearby, it vocalizes. Like when you run by something, it looks at it and vocalizes like a predator to either scare it off or challenge it. That seems totally realistic to me. And greatly adds to the flavor of the mount.

I managed to finish the story several days ago in anticipation of today's LS4 Ch 1 release. I've enjoyed the maps and content in PoF immensely, and I know I'll go back and pick away at some achievements and other aspects of the expansion.

While some criticized the amount of content for the expansion price, I really think it's worth noting that buying the expansion opens up the next LS season. It's more like purchasing a season's pass and getting a chunk of content at t=0, followed by smaller but more diverse content chapters over the coming months. It helps to distribute the customer participation and the developer work load. I think it's a brilliant model with benefits all around.

Well Done Anet! I'm looking forward to diving into LS4 Ch 1 over the next few weeks.

> @LUST.7241 said:

> > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

> >

> > This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

>

> How do we know raptors don't act this way?

Probably most raptors would actually shake off their riders and eat them. Thank you for not having that happen.

• ArenaNet Staff

We considered it, but it seemed a *tad* over the top.

~Just kidding - it was never on the table ;) ~

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > @LUST.7241 said:

> > > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

> > >

> > > This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

> >

> > How do we know raptors don't act this way?

>

> Probably most raptors would actually shake off their riders and eat them. Thank you for not having that happen.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> We considered it, but it seemed a *tad* over the top.

>

> ~Just kidding - it was never on the table ;) ~

>

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > > @LUST.7241 said:

> > > > @"Miss Lana.5276" said:

> > > > > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > > > shakes itself like a wet dog when I'm idling.

> > > >

> > > > This part irritates me. It's a trope in so many games and shows that if you want your audience to like a non-human character, make it act like a dog. I would have much preferred if the raptor acted like a raptor. I mean, we even have a specific dog mount. No need for two.

> > >

> > > How do we know raptors don't act this way?

> >

> > Probably most raptors would actually shake off their riders and eat them. Thank you for not having that happen.

>

>

Spoiler: https://i.imgur.com/iJRKkI0.gif

I am in a similar boat as OP. I returned to the game at the beginning of October after not having played since 6 months after release. I am very much enjoying the game and having lots of fun, especially because of the mounts. Thank you!

To any new/returning players: don't let the discussions on the general forum get you down. I have been in the same boat as a lot of the posters where you like and have played a game for so long that you don't want to quit. But, there is nothing new to keep one excited and engaged; or, one is disappointed by the newly released content and were hoping that it was going to make the game fun again; or, you disagree with new business practices and/or changes. At which point, it seems a common behavior to head to the forums and debate about the content, mechanics and economy of the game because it's engaging and can relieve frustration when an individual gets to put their own opinion out there. These debates can leave a bad impression or make one think that there may be something wrong with the game and it would be best to play something newer instead. In reality, the game is full of nice and helpful people who are playing casually and don't care about the debatable topics, like the price of mount skins for example.