More “paths” to legendary gear...

Swagger.1459

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Still a bad argument.

> >

> > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

>

> Because there was an actual reason for that.

Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Still a bad argument.

> > >

> > > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

> >

> > Because there was an actual reason for that.

>

> Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

There are, as many if not more reasons to put this in, then there were to bother with Raids or "Hard" content, to start with.

With that said, I still stand by my first point that I made on page 1 of this thread, they won't do anything. They have had 2.5 years and a full second expansion to do _something_ and nothing has been done. So it stands to reason, regardless if this is a good choice or not, regardless if this will cost them money and hurt the longevity of the game, they are sticking with it.

Now, some might argue that lack of funding and resources means they simply can't change the ship, but they just put out a new expansion, if there was a time to do something, that was it. But they haven't.

They just added Living World stuff.. and again.. no changes.

So they are developing, adding, and doing all kinds of work to the game, they have the resources and abilities, what this is, is not a lack of resources to be able to do something, but that they have chosen that it is not important to them to do anything about this problem, that is assuming they even view it as a problem to start with.

While I would love other paths, what Anet wants, is for the PvE Legendary Armor to be locked behind some niche content in the HoT expansion.

It is what it is.. and I happy about that.. nahh.. but then again I am also pretty miffed that they didn't add a legendary Axe to PoF.. so far my choices for a legendary axe are "Ugly" and "Damn near Impossible to get, because I fucking hate HoT"..

I gave the post above mine a thumbs up, because it's a very accurate view of what is happening. It shows a real understanding of how the game is developed.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Still a bad argument.

> > >

> > > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

> >

> > Because there was an actual reason for that.

>

> Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

'valid' is not enough of a compelling reason for Anet to implement things. I'm pretty surprised at this point that people simply aren't understanding on the most simple terms, how MMOs are developed and the fact that this is a business. I mean, at this point, anyone that thinks they can simply decide what they are willing to do to get loot they want is either really new to the whole MMO gaming concept or being stubborn. Neither gives you a realistic view of how all this ties together.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> I gave the post above mine a thumbs up, because it's a very accurate view of what is happening. It shows a real understanding of how the game is developed.

>

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > Still a bad argument.

> > > >

> > > > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

> > >

> > > Because there was an actual reason for that.

> >

> > Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

>

> 'valid' is not enough of a compelling reason for Anet to implement things. I'm pretty surprised at this point that people simply aren't understanding on the most simple terms, how MMOs are developed and the fact that this is a business. I mean, at this point, anyone that thinks they can simply decide what they are willing to do to get loot they want is either really new to the whole MMO gaming concept or being stubborn. Neither gives you a realistic view of how all this ties together.

I don’t care what’s happening now, I care about going forward... This awesome suggestion gets back to the basic design philosophy. For many, the main draw of the game wasn’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. GW2 was designed to be fun from moment to moment, so this suggestion falls in line with that core philosophy perfectly for all players...

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > I gave the post above mine a thumbs up, because it's a very accurate view of what is happening. It shows a real understanding of how the game is developed.

> >

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Still a bad argument.

> > > > >

> > > > > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

> > > >

> > > > Because there was an actual reason for that.

> > >

> > > Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

> >

> > 'valid' is not enough of a compelling reason for Anet to implement things. I'm pretty surprised at this point that people simply aren't understanding on the most simple terms, how MMOs are developed and the fact that this is a business. I mean, at this point, anyone that thinks they can simply decide what they are willing to do to get loot they want is either really new to the whole MMO gaming concept or being stubborn. Neither gives you a realistic view of how all this ties together.

>

> I don’t care what’s happening now, I care about going forward... This awesome suggestion gets back to the basic design philosophy. For many, the main draw of the game wasn’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. GW2 was designed to be fun from moment to moment, so this suggestion falls in line with that core philosophy perfectly for all players...

No it doesn't. Having fun doesn't mean having the long term end game goals accessible with the leat effort possible. The point of the game was to quickly get into the game without having to get the grindiest reward items from the game. And that still holds true: to play open world, well you pretty much need to get some exotic gear with berzerker runes.

Your ideas are terrible for the game as far as I am concerned. You don't get people attached to the game with everything being accessible. You get them to play more with a little bit of frustration at some point. The truth is this game has always wanted to have some difficult content to achieve and even then, it is so much optional.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > I gave the post above mine a thumbs up, because it's a very accurate view of what is happening. It shows a real understanding of how the game is developed.

> >

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > > And this comment "ITT forum warriors try to tell anet that if anet don't give casuals legendary armor, the game will die"... shows that you are not even following the thread... Thanks for the input though!

> > > > > > > > I am, that's just how you look when you ask for more leggy armor paths but don't give any excuse better than "i don't want to play the game".

> > > > > > > Isn't that the very same argument raiders had when they asked for raids?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Still a bad argument.

> > > > >

> > > > > yah, that's what I said way back when.. they still put the raids in.

> > > >

> > > > Because there was an actual reason for that.

> > >

> > > Just like there are a bunch of valid reasons for this suggestion to be implemented...

> >

> > 'valid' is not enough of a compelling reason for Anet to implement things. I'm pretty surprised at this point that people simply aren't understanding on the most simple terms, how MMOs are developed and the fact that this is a business. I mean, at this point, anyone that thinks they can simply decide what they are willing to do to get loot they want is either really new to the whole MMO gaming concept or being stubborn. Neither gives you a realistic view of how all this ties together.

>

> I don’t care what’s happening now, I care about going forward... This awesome suggestion gets back to the basic design philosophy. For many, the main draw of the game wasn’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. GW2 was designed to be fun from moment to moment, so this suggestion falls in line with that core philosophy perfectly for all players...

You better care ... because that's how the game works in the past, now and going forward.

The basic design philosophy hos nothing to do with deciding what you are willing to do to get specific loot. Playing how you want is in the context of class role ... or the lack of them to be more specific.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> Your ideas are terrible for the game as far as I am concerned. You don't get people attached to the game with everything being accessible.

Gonna disagree with this, as everything being able to be obtained gets people to set getting those things as long term goals, if there is a part of the path they feel is simply beyond their reach, they will abandon the long term goals, and MMO's unlike single player games, need those long term goals, otherwise there is no reason to keep playing.. get exotic.. and then do.. what exactly?.

You are left with the fate of Farming for the sake of it, that's a great way to have people just burn out and move on.

So players need some kind of long term goal.. something to shoot for, and Legendary items provided just that kind of goal.

Take that away..and **that will kill the game**..

Players having long term goals is not the same thing as having many paths to get something, long term or not. Let's be careful to understand this. The issue here isn't long vs. short term goals; it's not like legendary items are the ONLY thing that a player can do for a long term goal. I mean, I don't even think that's true; people will quit if they don't have long term goals? What makes anyone think that they understand the pool of players well enough to make such a statement.

Considering that the game caters to casual people, I would argue that long term goals are not needed ... avoided even. To me what is most likely and desirable to the majority of the people playing is exactly how the game is currently structured ... a large number of shorter term goals (achievements, map completion rewards, crafting exotic gear, skins, etc... ) The legendary gear obtaining goals are actually exceptional, not normal and the structure of that kind of goal is not a major draw for a casual crowd.

The evidence of this being true? A game that continues to pump out the majority of the shorter, numerous kinds of goals/rewards model. The game wouldn't EXIST is this wasn't the case. The argument that without long term goals, the game will die, is sensational. More likely, what will happen is that the tryhards will get bored and leave until new content arrives ... and that's OK, because that's the model of the game. It's DESIGNED considering that kind of player.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> No it doesn't. Having fun doesn't mean having the long term end game goals accessible with the leat effort possible.

How fortunate then that what was suggested was not anything like that.

I will repeat it again, because it seems everyone against the idea keeps forgetting it almost immediately:

It's not about lower effort. It's about being able to choose _where_ you will put your effort in.

"More paths" does not mean "easily accessible". That is a strawman propagated by raiders only.

And no, raids are not the only kind of effort that counts.

Also, what (again) a lot of you seem to be missing: a long term goal that is placed on a path most players won't walk on doesn't fulfill its long goal function for those players. It might as well not exist for them - actually, if it really didn't exist it would be better, because it wouldn't be a constant discouragement.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Considering that the game caters to casual people, I would argue that long term goals are not needed ... avoided even.

Casuals need longtime goals as much as hardcore players do. It's just that the _way_ towards those goals should be different.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> The evidence of this being true? A game that continues to pump out the majority of the shorter, numerous kinds of goals/rewards model. The game wouldn't EXIST is this wasn't the case.

Er... what? Yes, short-term goals are important. Nobody contests that. This doesn't mean the longterm goals aren't important either. And in fact the devs _are_ aware of that, or we wouldn't even _have_ legendary armor in the game.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> The argument that without long term goals, the game will die, is sensational.

Thanks. I will remember this argument and quote it next time someone says legendary armor being exclusive to raids is important and that making it more widely accessible is going to hurt the game.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > No it doesn't. Having fun doesn't mean having the long term end game goals accessible with the leat effort possible.

> How fortunate then that what was suggested was not anything like that.

>

> I will repeat it again, because it seems everyone against the idea keeps forgetting it almost immediately:

> It's not about lower effort. It's about being able to choose _where_ you will put your effort in.

>

> "More paths" does not mean "easily accessible". That is a strawman propagated by raiders only.

>

> And no, raids are not the only kind of effort that counts.

>

> Also, what (again) a lot of you seem to be missing: a long term goal that is placed on a path most players won't walk on doesn't fulfill its long goal function for those players. It might as well not exist for them - actually, if it really didn't exist it would be better, because it wouldn't be a constant discouragement.

>

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Considering that the game caters to casual people, I would argue that long term goals are not needed ... avoided even.

> Casuals need longtime goals as much as hardcore players do. It's just that the _way_ towards those goals should be different.

>

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > The evidence of this being true? A game that continues to pump out the majority of the shorter, numerous kinds of goals/rewards model. The game wouldn't EXIST is this wasn't the case.

> Er... what? Yes, short-term goals are important. Nobody contests that. This doesn't mean the longterm goals aren't important either. And in fact the devs _are_ aware of that, or we wouldn't even _have_ legendary armor in the game.

>

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > The argument that without long term goals, the game will die, is sensational.

> Thanks. I will remember this argument and quote it next time someone says legendary armor being exclusive to raids is important and that making it more widely accessible is going to hurt the game.

@"Astralporing.1957" More paths will always lead to least effort at some point. Because the devs can’t possibly create every path require the same effort and dedication.

When more paths are created, the majority of players will flock to the least effort way of obtaining something and when that happens, you find players complaining about how long term rewards are missing which make people leave more. Basically you found yourself playing core GW2 again. And in this game, skill will always prevail at some point.

By the way, you know what: the situation I described is already implemented in this game. It is called PvP because you certainly do not need to reach legendary tier in order to turn your ascended armor into legendary armor. If it did, the amount of wintrading that would going on would absolutely become horrendous.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > Your ideas are terrible for the game as far as I am concerned. You don't get people attached to the game with everything being accessible.

>

> Gonna disagree with this, as everything being able to be obtained gets people to set getting those things as long term goals, if there is a part of the path they feel is simply beyond their reach, they will abandon the long term goals, and MMO's unlike single player games, need those long term goals, otherwise there is no reason to keep playing.. get exotic.. and then do.. what exactly?.

>

> You are left with the fate of Farming for the sake of it, that's a great way to have people just burn out and move on.

>

> So players need some kind of long term goal.. something to shoot for, and Legendary items provided just that kind of goal.

>

> Take that away..and **that will kill the game**..

The game already has long term rewards besides raid lengendary armor. They are called armor collection and other weapons collection and it won’t kill the game.

You make it sound like casuals have already finished every other easibly achievable collection and suddenly all other collection hav become worthless because of raid tier armor. It feels like such a nonsensical argument to make imo.

> Also, what (again) a lot of you seem to be missing: a long term goal that is placed on a path most players won't walk on doesn't fulfill its long goal function for those players. It might as well not exist for them - actually, if it really didn't exist it would be better, because it wouldn't be a constant discouragement.

And you seem to be missing something else - there are *plenty* of long term goals for casual players. But only a handful for hardcore ones. Envoy armor is intended to be the latter, and is pretty successful at that.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Considering that the game caters to casual people, I would argue that long term goals are not needed ... avoided even.

> Casuals need longtime goals as much as hardcore players do. It's just that the _way_ towards those goals should be different.

... and? If you read my post, you would see that I already pointed out that they already have long term goals they can work towards. In fact, they have MORE long term goals they can work towards than a hardcore player because of their playstyle.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > The argument that without long term goals, the game will die, is sensational.

> Thanks. I will remember this argument and quote it next time someone says legendary armor being exclusive to raids is important and that making it more widely accessible is going to hurt the game.

Legendary armor isn't exclusive to raids though. It is already widely accessible.

You seem to have a mild grasp on your arguments; there are multiple ways to get legendary armor in this game. You simply don't want to take any of them. That's a different issue.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Legendary armor isn't exclusive to raids though. It is already widely accessible.

That's not entirely true

* SPvP players can work towards their legendary armor by simply doing SPvP

* WvW players can work towards their legendary armor by simply doing WvW

* PvE players can work towards their legendary armor **ONLY** by doing raids.

Here's the problem.

There should be a more casual version ( because getting SPvP and WvW armor is possible by being afk doing nothing, or spamming games at will ) of it, regardless the skin ( which should remain something locked behind the raids ).

One for fractals and one for openworld pvers ( linked to events and metas ).

You seem to not understand the concept of the armor . It would be rather silly for legendary armor to be available to OW players, casual or hardcore. Fractals? Maybe level 100 ones ...

The reason that WVW/PVP players 'simply' (I wouldn't say it's simple) get by doing WvW/PVP is that the rewards and how you 'win' are fundamentally different than PVE.

But still, this isn't a "I want this armor because it's a good idea" problem, it's a practical one of implementation.

I disagree.

The armor itself should be avaible through different game modes, since it's a QoL item ( stats swapping, inventory space saving, Runes saving, etc... ).

What makes something rare here on GW2 is its skin.

So, players will be able to get their QoL features by playing the game how they like, but if the will ever want a specific skin, they will have to unlock it through a specific game mode, achievement, shop, or whatever.

That said, let's be honest and do not consider raid a hard task, please.

It's a group of 10 person trying a meta setup and learning how to faceroll, the selling it from 1 to 5 people.

It's offensive to hear that somebody considers it a real challenge ( when what you need is time and players ).

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> The function doesn't determine where the armor is available.

It should instead, because gw2 is mainly for casuals, and because it's easy to get whatever the game mode you play, they should provvide a solo alternative for PvE too.

It's balance, and nothing else.

But here the point is:

> How could a legendary armor, with no particular skin, obtained through fractals or ow pve hurt you?

Well, it doesn't ... gear of any sort isn't introduced to various parts of the game because of balance. Gear is linked to story, it has a concept ... this actually LIMITS how it can be obtained, not spread it out. Killing rabbits and completing hearts doesn't exactly instill 'legendary' in anyone, casual or not.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Well, it doesn't ... gear of any sort isn't introduced to various parts of the game because of balance. Gear is linked to story, it has a concept ... this actually LIMITS how it can be obtained, not spread it out. Killing rabbits and completing hearts doesn't exactly instill 'legendary' in anyone, casual or not.

If you check the wiki you will notice that you need the same things a normal player ( OW or Fractal player ) can obtain.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

Here you can see the difference between the 3 armors

1) The gift needed could be the one you get from exploration. The other is stuff you can have by playing the game OW

2) The second Gift currency could be something you get from meta events ( Once per day ). The other stuff is something every player can get from tp or all game modes.

3) The third gift could be the same for the Raid legendary armor ( since it needs nothing but OW meta events ). And because it is this way for raids, it could be the same for OW or fractals.

4) The armor piece could be purchased from fractals vendor or Pve vendors for a specific currency.

As you can see, there is definitely nothing linked to a specific game mode if you compare the crafting materials and the items an OW players can get.

I don't see how that change what I said ... ways to obtain gear isn't about balance. The idea that crafting materials for legendaries are available in OW seems like a really weak argument to make legendary armor available through OW content. Not sure if you noticed but not much in this game is about balance.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> I don't see how that change what I said ... ways to obtain gear isn't about balance. The idea that crafting materials for legendaries are available in OW seems like a really weak argument to make legendary armor available through OW content. Not sure if you noticed but not much in this game is about balance.

It's the opposite.

All is avaible in OW, except the armor piece and 1 specific currency.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> I don't get your point ... you should be able to make legendary armor with OW content because most (or all?) of the mats can be obtained in OW?

>

> I think you are ignoring the concept of legendary armor here.

I am saying that like legendary stuff, as weapons or even aurora ( trinket ), is avaible through OW.

Legendary armors are no different from any legendary items.

And if you check what is required in order to craft them, you will notice that it's all about the armor piece and the LI.

I don't get why legendary armors should be different from a legendary weapon or trinket, which are way longer to obtain ( if you care to explain ).

The explanation is easy ... leg. armors are different in consistency from Leg. others because Anet says they are. I mean, there is no 'code of law' that determines what Anet has to do.

you're strategy here is flawed ... You're looking for a reason that justifies the current situation for how Legendary gear is obtained and when you can't find one or when you think you have a bunch of inconsistencies, you think that's an error that must be fixed.

The reality is that regardless of whatever inconsistencies or illogicals you think you have to prove 'it's wrong', the fact is that Anet has considered and implemented legendary paths for all game modes and THAT is the justification for the 'limited' ways you can get leg. gear.

The most significant argument I can think of for more PVE paths is to appeal to the same logic that Anet used to introduce crafted Leg. weapons to the game ... except it doesn't apply here because this is crafted armor. one could make the case that IF consistency is a real consideration, then Leg. Armor should have a path through Mystic Forge RNG.