Do raids need easy/normal/hard difficulty mode? [merged]

Lonami.2987

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> It seems to me this thread has become less about the concept of difficulty levels and more about name calling. "Darned Raiders!" "Filthy Casuals!" And so it goes.

>

> Is there anything left worth saying, in thread spanning nearly five months, 1,500 posts, and 16,000 views? You tell me!

probably not. The discussion on how easy raids should be done was almost immediately drowned out.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> The only thing that can stop this is affirmation from the dev team that either they have plans to make an easy mode and have a reward scheme in mind, or Re-posting the quote from Crystal (which will be ignored because Dev Speak) saying No we wont ever do an Easy Mode.

>

It's highly unlikely for a game developer to say "We won't ever do ", especially if it's something that is the subject of constant debate and discussion.

They can only say what is their current stance and leave it at that, as they've done already. Only thing that can stop this, is posters only responding to the sane, and well thought out, parts of an argument and never engage in talk as if they are in a chat room.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > The only thing that can stop this is affirmation from the dev team that either they have plans to make an easy mode and have a reward scheme in mind, or Re-posting the quote from Crystal (which will be ignored because Dev Speak) saying No we wont ever do an Easy Mode.

> >

>

> It's highly unlikely for a game developer to say "We won't ever do ", especially if it's something that is the subject of constant debate and discussion.

> They can only say what is their current stance and leave it at that, as they've done already. Only thing that can stop this, is posters only responding to the sane, and well thought out, parts of an argument and never engage in talk as if they are in a chat room.

I'm well aware that it's unlikely for them to use such strong language. However, there's times when it's needed and seeing as this is one of those times someone needs to take that role on and be the bearer of bad news for either side so both can move on.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> Well, in the end.. Anet should learn from Blizzard's mistake regarding building accessible Raids.

>

> If they can't or won't learn from the mistakes of others, then, there is no way they will survive.

Quick question, since I have limited experience with wow (only did trial accounts). Can you do easy mode raids there while under geared to the extent that is being said here (i.e. 100% success chance with little to no difficulty to and from the group)?

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> Maybe we should stay away from are they or aren’t they talk and look more at these easy mode encounters conceptually. Mechanics etc.

Not on this thread no. That's hardly something you discuss on a thread that has been up for 5 months and has 39 pages already, saying that "let's forget the last 39 pages and finally discuss the actual topic" isn't going to work. Hence why half-jokingly in that thread about splitting fractals and raids in separate sub-forums I suggested to make instead a sub-forum about discussing easy modes.

Now that I think about it, it might not even be such a joke, and instead of being only about "easy mode raids", which is too narrow a topic for an actual sub-forum, it could be called "Design Corner". A place where players can come on and discuss mechanics and encounter designs of everything in the game, from Raids to open world content, from story fights to world bosses. Let's give the developers some good ideas on how to make their encounters more exciting.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> Let's give the developers some good ideas on how to make their encounters more exciting.

That's... rather ambitious. I'm not saying players can't come up with ideas that are actually good, but do you honestly believe such an endeavor would have any meaningful success rate?

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > Let's give the developers some good ideas on how to make their encounters more exciting.

>

> That's... rather ambitious. I'm not saying players can't come up with ideas that are actually good, but do you honestly believe such an endeavor would have any meaningful success rate?

Well we can argue yes or no for another 5 months. That sounds fun!

> @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > Well, in the end.. Anet should learn from Blizzard's mistake regarding building accessible Raids.

> >

> > If they can't or won't learn from the mistakes of others, then, there is no way they will survive.

>

> Quick question, since I have limited experience with wow (only did trial accounts). Can you do easy mode raids there while under geared to the extent that is being said here (i.e. 100% success chance with little to no difficulty to and from the group)?

Not really. The raid finder will not let you queue if your average item level is under a certain threshold.

As I see it, the better solution is how T4 Fractals work.

* There should only be 1 Normal mode, and then repeatable CM that can be enabled at the start inside the instance.

* Some bosses will always be more difficult than others, some easier to pug than others.

* Most of the difficulty, specially for CM, will actually be on learning the mechanics and getting competent teammates, not on getting some specific meta build with some specific gear and attributes.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > Let's give the developers some good ideas on how to make their encounters more exciting.

>

> That's... rather ambitious. I'm not saying players can't come up with ideas that are actually good, but do you honestly believe such an endeavor would have any meaningful success rate?

it'd be something new to argue at least. This current song and dance has grown stale, wouldn't you agree?

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> As I see it, the better solution is how T4 Fractals work.

>

> * There should only be 1 Normal mode, and then repeatable CM that can be enabled at the start inside the instance.

> * Some bosses will always be more difficult than others, some easier to pug than others.

> * Most of the difficulty, specially for CM, will actually be on learning the mechanics and getting competent teammates, not on getting some specific meta build with some specific gear and attributes.

>

And that's what we have at the moment.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

>

Only one way to find out :)

And besides, it wouldn't cost the developers much, if anything it would help them with much better targeted suggestions than multi-page multi-merged threads.

I think the old suggestions forum was supposed to be like this, but that was way too broad as it contained suggestions about everything.

Of course I've gone completely off-topic now, no point discussing this here, it's up to the developers anyway.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > Well, in the end.. Anet should learn from Blizzard's mistake regarding building accessible Raids.

> > >

> > > If they can't or won't learn from the mistakes of others, then, there is no way they will survive.

> >

> > Quick question, since I have limited experience with wow (only did trial accounts). Can you do easy mode raids there while under geared to the extent that is being said here (i.e. 100% success chance with little to no difficulty to and from the group)?

>

> Not really. The raid finder will not let you queue if your average item level is under a certain threshold.

since we don't have gear tiers to the extent of wow in gw2 and rely mostly on skill, how would that translate then?

> @"nia.4725" said:

> > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > As I see it, the better solution is how T4 Fractals work.

> >

> > * There should only be 1 Normal mode, and then repeatable CM that can be enabled at the start inside the instance.

> > * Some bosses will always be more difficult than others, some easier to pug than others.

> > * Most of the difficulty, specially for CM, will actually be on learning the mechanics and getting competent teammates, not on getting some specific meta build with some specific gear and attributes.

> >

>

> And that's what we have at the moment.

When was the last time you got rewards from repeating a raid CM?

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > @"nia.4725" said:

> > > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > > As I see it, the better solution is how T4 Fractals work.

> > >

> > > * There should only be 1 Normal mode, and then repeatable CM that can be enabled at the start inside the instance.

> > > * Some bosses will always be more difficult than others, some easier to pug than others.

> > > * Most of the difficulty, specially for CM, will actually be on learning the mechanics and getting competent teammates, not on getting some specific meta build with some specific gear and attributes.

> > >

> >

> > And that's what we have at the moment.

>

> When was the last time you got rewards from repeating a raid CM?

Oh, I didn't understand properly that part and you're right. We don't have that, and it would be really nice to have some kind of little incentive to repeat CMs -as I said on reddit on a thread about it, 10 magnetite shards per CM and week would be cool.

> @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > Well, in the end.. Anet should learn from Blizzard's mistake regarding building accessible Raids.

> >

> > If they can't or won't learn from the mistakes of others, then, there is no way they will survive.

>

> Quick question, since I have limited experience with wow (only did trial accounts). Can you do easy mode raids there while under geared to the extent that is being said here (i.e. 100% success chance with little to no difficulty to and from the group)?

I don't think anyone is asking for 0% chance of failure, so this question is moot.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > Well, in the end.. Anet should learn from Blizzard's mistake regarding building accessible Raids.

> > >

> > > If they can't or won't learn from the mistakes of others, then, there is no way they will survive.

> >

> > Quick question, since I have limited experience with wow (only did trial accounts). Can you do easy mode raids there while under geared to the extent that is being said here (i.e. 100% success chance with little to no difficulty to and from the group)?

>

> I don't think anyone is asking for 0% chance of failure, so this question is moot.

From mechanics, yes it has been, from boss' auto attacks, no it has not. Though that contradicts the demands of some to nerf boss damage imo.

We can talk more about it here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/37656/how-would-an-easy-mode-raid-work-vg#latest

The discussion there is about easy mode fights, the loot itself is for another time once all has been said and done about how it should work. If you have any suggestions make it more manageable for an inexperienced group, please, I welcome you to share it there.

edit

there is a rule though: please separate yourselves from your ideas, and criticize the idea not the person

A few Key points that need to be stated since this is Anet’s Stance on the Matter and is extremely relevant to this thread:

Crystal Reid:

“In the past year and a half, the overall skill level of the Guild Wars raiding community has risen at a staggering pace. Naturally, content will seem easier now as players continue to refine their theorycrafting and personal skill.

Our goal is not to make content easier, but rather add an additional layer of difficulty onto the challenge motes where it makes sense.”

“Tier systems for Raids come up a lot as a result of what Fractals did. I worked on the original Fractals team and a tiered system with increased difficulty scaling was always part of the original plan for that team. It was never a plan for Raids. They are, and should remain, the most difficult content in the game.

Accessibility in terms of difficulty is something we talk a lot about internally. We’ve made efforts to help players get in by delivering entry level encounters that ease you into the content (STK)”

So from these posts we can see their clear intent on Raid Difficulty.