PvP Discussion: Rewards

> @"bluri.2653" said:

> > @"Darek.1836" said:

> > > @"bluri.2653" said:

> > > > @"Faux Play.6104" said:

> > > > > @"bluri.2653" said:

> > > > > Unique finishers for monthly AT/PvP Season similar to the WTS ones. I also think you could add ascended shards/leauge tickets into AT's and the top in the ranked leauge. Other "maybe" rewards could be clovers or some sort of way to create legendary weapons. Similar to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_the_Desert but a PvP version of it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you discussed anything regarding enabling infusions for PvP? Theres a lot of people who play all game modes and have very expensive infusions who might want to see them but they do not work in PvP. Could also lead to potential reward in PvP from Leauge/AT's.

> > > > >

> > > > > Unique mounts for AT's/Leauge

> > > >

> > > > So you want to bring gear grind to sPvP? The only thing that could make this worse is make them available in the gemstore only.

> > >

> > > Where have I mentioned "Grind"? I'm talking obviously as a prize of placing highly on the leaderboard/mAT's. I personally don't care about what rewards are given as grind

> >

> > kitten you seriously want infusions to work in pvp am I reading that right?

>

> Yes? They are adding standard models on teammates anyway so it will just be you seeing them, so why not?

The infusions I'm thinking about modify armor stats. What are you talking about?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Faux Play.6104" said:

> > @"bluri.2653" said:

> > > @"Darek.1836" said:

> > > > @"bluri.2653" said:

> > > > > @"Faux Play.6104" said:

> > > > > > @"bluri.2653" said:

> > > > > > Unique finishers for monthly AT/PvP Season similar to the WTS ones. I also think you could add ascended shards/leauge tickets into AT's and the top in the ranked leauge. Other "maybe" rewards could be clovers or some sort of way to create legendary weapons. Similar to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_the_Desert but a PvP version of it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Have you discussed anything regarding enabling infusions for PvP? Theres a lot of people who play all game modes and have very expensive infusions who might want to see them but they do not work in PvP. Could also lead to potential reward in PvP from Leauge/AT's.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Unique mounts for AT's/Leauge

> > > > >

> > > > > So you want to bring gear grind to sPvP? The only thing that could make this worse is make them available in the gemstore only.

> > > >

> > > > Where have I mentioned "Grind"? I'm talking obviously as a prize of placing highly on the leaderboard/mAT's. I personally don't care about what rewards are given as grind

> > >

> > > kitten you seriously want infusions to work in pvp am I reading that right?

> >

> > Yes? They are adding standard models on teammates anyway so it will just be you seeing them, so why not?

>

> The infusions I'm thinking about modify armor stats. What are you talking about?

And I'm thinking just the cosmetic effect not the stat bonus????????????????????????????? are you even asking this question in the first place? these forums jfc

> @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> >

> > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> >

> > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

>

> I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

>

A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

> @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> > >

> > > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> > >

> > > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

> >

> > I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> > I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

> >

>

> A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

Ooo, but new players should play Unranked not Ranked...

> @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> > > >

> > > > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> > > >

> > > > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

> > >

> > > I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> > > I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

> > >

> >

> > A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

>

> Ooo, but new players should play Unranked not Ranked...

Then why is detracting new players an argument for removing pips in the first place? Either way there will always be somewhat inexperienced players compared to some that have been playing for years.

Point remains that if people do not feel rewarded for their time then they won’t play.

Hey,

I would like people that participate in a tournament get extra pips in pvp/ wvw. Maybe something like +1pip for 24h for a daily tournament and +2 for a week for a monthly.

Also as a wvw player I find it really confusing that specialization icons don't work/show up in pvp. Firebrands got the Guardian icon same as Dragonhunters and core Guardians.

> @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > > > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > > > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> > > > >

> > > > > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

> > > >

> > > > I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> > > > I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

> > > >

> > >

> > > A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

> >

> > Ooo, but new players should play Unranked not Ranked...

>

> Then why is detracting new players an argument for removing pips in the first place? Either way there will always be somewhat inexperienced players compared to some that have been playing for years.

>

> Point remains that if people do not feel rewarded for their time then they won’t play.

Well, Unranked should offer some good rewards until rank 80, so player could learn game pretty well before going to play against veterans in Ranked and still feel rewarded for practice in Unranked.

> @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > > @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > > > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > > > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > > > > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > > > > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

> > > > >

> > > > > I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> > > > > I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

> > >

> > > Ooo, but new players should play Unranked not Ranked...

> >

> > Then why is detracting new players an argument for removing pips in the first place? Either way there will always be somewhat inexperienced players compared to some that have been playing for years.

> >

> > Point remains that if people do not feel rewarded for their time then they won’t play.

>

> Well, Unranked should offer some good rewards until rank 80, so player could learn game pretty well before going to play against veterans in Ranked and still feel rewarded for practice in Unranked.

That is BS. Rank 80. That would also reduce the population. Some people don’t have several hours a day to play. The restriction they currently have is sufficient. If they aren’t as good as other more experience players they will have a lower rating and play with other low rating players.

If people are playing ranked then they should get the ranked rewards (I.e pips). Eliminating rewards for losing and hating ranked at rank 80 would be very detrimental to the population. The less people there are that play the lower the overall health of the game mode.

> @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > > > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashyri.5426" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > > > > > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > > > > > > **Remove pip rewards for defeats from ranked match during the seasons.**

> > > > > > > > This will end afk/botting pips farming, people actually have to play to in order to win the game. Also it might increase the match quality on low tiers and newcomers to pvp might actually enjoy and learn enough of it to stay playing PvP.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'm against removing pip rewards for losing. People need to be rewarded for their time, even if they weren't successful. And it makes the process of learning the game mode more rewarding.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The better solution to botters is just to find them and punish them. It's not always easy for us to find them, but CS has been doing botter ban waves. Chris even posted about it lately.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I believe the damage made by afkers/botters and the toxicity it creates on low tiers is one of the highest entry barriers to PvP here for new players, thus something must be done.

> > > > > > I understand GW2 isn't a competitive game and the amount of effort to handle cheaters is huge and never-ending, therefore I'm being realistic considering anet hasn't done anything about our reports or cheating in PvP thru the last year (although botting/hacking only seem to increase) by suggesting an easy way to definitely address the issue (you can't pip farm defeats so you must play to win and the only reason to do so is for the rewards). Also, not only it's hard to believe they're all of sudden banning bots, but also afking is a much bigger problem.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > A barrier to new players would also be to not be rewarded at all for playing if they lose. They are more likely to lose with less experience and thus be more likely to feel like they are wasting their time. People can play to win and still lose. One team will always lose regardless of whether everyone is playing to win or not. Removing pips from loss will only deteriorate the player base more and will not incentivize new players or others.

> > > >

> > > > Ooo, but new players should play Unranked not Ranked...

> > >

> > > Then why is detracting new players an argument for removing pips in the first place? Either way there will always be somewhat inexperienced players compared to some that have been playing for years.

> > >

> > > Point remains that if people do not feel rewarded for their time then they won’t play.

> >

> > Well, Unranked should offer some good rewards until rank 80, so player could learn game pretty well before going to play against veterans in Ranked and still feel rewarded for practice in Unranked.

>

> That is BS. Rank 80. That would also reduce the population. Some people don’t have several hours a day to play. The restriction they currently have is sufficient. If they aren’t as good as other more experience players they will have a lower rating and play with other low rating players.

>

> If people are playing ranked then they should get the ranked rewards (I.e pips). Eliminating rewards for losing and hating ranked at rank 80 would be very detrimental to the population. The less people there are that play the lower the overall health of the game mode.

Ooo, but Quaggan haven't said, that you should need rank 80 for Ranked, but that players below rank 80 should get extra rewards in Unranked, to motivate them to play there, until they get some experience.

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> For rewards, we have a couple things in the pipeline. Please keep in mind, the list below doesn’t include everything we have planned. It’s just what is far enough along that we feel safe talking about.

>

> **Obsidian Weapon set**

> This is a new competitive weapon set (shared with WvW). The first four weapons of the set will be available on 12/12. The weapons change effects and some detailing based on what team you’re on. (Red, Blue, Green) The set has 2 tiers. The first tier is exotic, tier 2 is ascended. Tier 2 will require grandmaster marks, the same as other ascended rewards.

>

> **PvP Armor set 2.5**

> We are working on an enhanced version of the Glorious armor. No dates on this yet, as it’s still a ways out. We’re aiming for 2 tiers. Tier 1 for Leagues and tier 2 for Tournament prizes.

>

> **Tournament gizmos**

> Our current plan is to continue changing the tournament gizmo monthly, until we have a full set. We anticipate that we will restart the cycle in July.

>

> **Other rewards?**

> We’d love to hear your thoughts on rewards and what you’d like to see. Keep in mind, some things like armor sets and weapon sets are very resource intensive and have a very long lead time.

>

Redo the obsidian skins, they are ugly. Possibly the ugliest weapons in GW2

PvP rewards really can only be good if they have value in other game modes. The problem though is even though there are a lot of items that can be collected, there really isnt much value to them. I had stopped playing PvE cuz of this.

The game's best items like Legendary/Ascended gear and skins are really just glorified cosmetic items. There is no reason to get gear outside of exotic. This is unfortunate because Nearly every reward in the game is connected to these items, meaning the whole game is really just an elaborate fashion show with a story.

Enough of the skins are really well designed but I can find skins i'm comfortable with in Trading Post.

I say all that to say this, any reward you implement in PvP will have to follow the reward model of PvE, armour, weapons or materials for more armour and weapons. Since they are really just skins, its not going to change the valueless perception of rewards. The legendary backpiece for instance created a lot of hoopla but quickly turned into just another skin

There is no realistic way to change this now unless you rebuild progression in game from scratch. Players really respond to vertical progression. The idea that your character is getting better each time you play the content is partly what drives people to MMORPGs in the first place. If you can:

-Perfect the dynamic scaling system so Instead of players scaling down, how about the area scaling up in difficulty for higher level players?

-Improve the AI so enemies are more engaging to fight.

Then you can begin to talk about decent rewards. Gear will no longer be just skins, maybe you can have gear with a permanent ability instead of runes. Maybe infusions that improve traits in PvE and WvW. Rewards that can be collected to enhance or alter the character in some way not just necessarily through stats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Either extend seasons so they have no downtime, add ways to earn Ascended shards in downtime or allow us to earn pips, 4 weeks downtime between seasons but WvW has 0 downtime between tickets.

Especially since seasons are timed so bad, this year it looks like there wont be a season during the vacation in the summer when most people have time to play, so no shards...

> **PvP Armor set 2.5**

> We are working on an enhanced version of the Glorious armor. No dates on this yet, as it’s still a ways out. We’re aiming for 2 tiers. Tier 1 for Leagues and tier 2 for Tournament prizes.

What happens to those who have legendary armors already? They don't get the new skin?

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Aza.2105" said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

>

> > **PvP Armor set 2.5**

> > We are working on an enhanced version of the Glorious armor. No dates on this yet, as it’s still a ways out. We’re aiming for 2 tiers. Tier 1 for Leagues and tier 2 for Tournament prizes.

>

> What happens to those who have legendary armors already? They don't get the new skin?

The set isn't going to be legendary, though we may make it upgradable to legendary. Current plan is to have tier 1 be on the league armor vendor and tier 2 be rewards for monthly tournaments.

> > @"Aza.2105" said:

> >

> > > **PvP Armor set 2.5**

> > > We are working on an enhanced version of the Glorious armor. No dates on this yet, as it’s still a ways out. We’re aiming for 2 tiers. Tier 1 for Leagues and tier 2 for Tournament prizes.

> >

> > What happens to those who have legendary armors already? They don't get the new skin?

>

> The set isn't going to be legendary, though we may make it upgradable to legendary. Current plan is to have tier 1 be on the league armor vendor and tier 2 be rewards for monthly tournaments.

Is it going to be more distinguishable like the wvw one?

> **Other rewards?**

> We’d love to hear your thoughts on rewards and what you’d like to see. Keep in mind, some things like armor sets and weapon sets are very resource intensive and have a very long lead time.

The [Mistbreaker](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistbreaker "

Mistbreaker") and [Revenant Axe](http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/gw2-mistbreaker-revenant-axe.jpg "Revenant Axe") skin that showed up during the HoT Beta and are currently not obtainable(?).

> > @"Aza.2105" said:

> >

> > > **PvP Armor set 2.5**

> > > We are working on an enhanced version of the Glorious armor. No dates on this yet, as it’s still a ways out. We’re aiming for 2 tiers. Tier 1 for Leagues and tier 2 for Tournament prizes.

> >

> > What happens to those who have legendary armors already? They don't get the new skin?

>

> The set isn't going to be legendary, though we may make it upgradable to legendary. Current plan is to have tier 1 be on the league armor vendor and tier 2 be rewards for monthly tournaments.

Ok cool. Quesiton, are you guys planning on giving legendary pvp armor a better skin? Not to sounds ungrateful but with the amount of money it costs to make it, I'd expect it to look different. It doesn't have to be fancy like the pve variant. Just something cool for us pvpers.

• 2 months later...

Im sorry for being harsh here, but if the tier 2 is the flashy one similar to wvw rank 2k and you decide to tie it to the monthly ats its dead content from day one to me, and the rest of the pvp community that dont participante. If you even go as far as putting it exclusively to the top 4 teams...well, im certain most people wont enjoy that.

You already distribute tens of thousands of gold, exclusive titles and unique gizmos monthly, isnt that enough? I wonder how many different people have one of the gizmos, since its always the same ones that seem to win monthly ats.

Could be something as cross platinum division or top 250 once and have a rank of 150? Maybe more idk...