Path of Fire Material Storage

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an **awful plan** though...

The issue with flax was (and partly still is) the ridiculous requirement to craft it! The recipe asks for 20! seeds! That's the highest requirement of a single material for a recurrently used recipe (Linseed oil is EVERYWHERE in HoT recipes from new stat gear to ALL Scribing recipes), so of course it would be overpriced while the offer was still reduced and demand was high.

The price didn't decline because there was more offer, but because there's less demand.

Instead of doing this, check your recipes and make sure they're in-line with core recipes, and that recipes don't ask absurd amounts of materials, like linseed oil did/does.

Here's a good rule of thumb: If a person has to go through nearly 20 full stacks of an ingredient to increase one rank of crafting, then you're doing it wrong.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

Everyone I knew didn't "warehouse" flax but had a shortage as it was all going on guild upgrades and scribe levelling.

> @Nidome.1365 said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

>

> Everyone I knew didn't "warehouse" flax but had a shortage as it was all going on guild upgrades and scribe levelling.

>

ANet's data takes into account everyone you know and everyone you don't know. There were, according to their records, a lot more people who did warehouse flax than those of us posting on the forums.

Kudos to you for trying to make an impression of trying to improve the market, but come on. This is just an attempt to sell more char spots, inv spots and those new and extremely pricey bags.

If you don't want us to hoard mats, don't make such absurd recipes. 200 flax seeds for a single piece of armor and you want us to not hoard such mats?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so with October 17 we are approaching the 4 week mark on PoF. I just want to bring this up as a reminder and would like a quick update on which materials will find their way into the storage.

I think the Elephant in the room are Eyes of Kormir and Ley-infused Sand. Are there others I'm missing?

Also: Do you think this experiment was a success?

I'd just like to point out that I have yet to sell a single PoF material on the TP. So if the intention of not adding them to the storage was to encourage sales, it has not done anything to sway me in that regard at all. A hoarder will be a hoarder regardless of whether or not you try to force limitations on them.

With that being said, I am tired of the inventory management imposed by PoF. It's not just mats either, it's all these collection items that you end up having to take to specific NPC's and such. While I was glad to see a lot of collection items could be consumed after use, thus allowing you to immediately free up your inventory after acquiring them, a lot still don't use this very handy feature and end up bogging you down. I'm having a constant battle with my inventory and it's not a fun or pleasant experience. You guys seriously need to rethink some of the ways you implement loot or collections.

**Only Serves To Encourage Hoarding And Make Inventory Management More Tedious**

I very much appreciate ArenaNet's candor on this issue, want to encourage more of it, and hope to be constructive with my feedback in return. I don't know what the macro effect of this policy may be, but I can attest that for me as a player, the only noticeable effect is negative.

In fact, I think it has had the opposite effect from what was intended, because I *don't* sell or use quest or progress-related materials *until* I am sure I have accumulated enough for my own needs.

The ironic outcome of this regime is instead of being able to monitor the materials in a central location, they tend to be scattered among my 39 characters and bank space. Because of this, I am actually far less likely to sell or buy anything affected by this policy than if it instead were to accumulate in my material storage in a single stack.

I realize that as a major altaholic my situation is probably an outlier, but as this thread attests, I'm definitely not alone. There are clearly many of us affected only in an adverse manner by it, and who would strongly prefer to see the game handle these materials properly instead of attempting to force us into doing something we're not going to do anyway.

For now, I just work around it, but I would rather not have to.

> @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> The issue with flax was (and partly still is) the ridiculous requirement to craft it! The recipe asks for 20! seeds! That's the highest requirement of a single material for a recurrently used recipe (Linseed oil is EVERYWHERE in HoT recipes from new stat gear to ALL Scribing recipes), so of course it would be overpriced while the offer was still reduced and demand was high.

It takes 50-100 Eyes of Kormir to make anything they are a part of, so it's not a matter of quantity. Where the analogy breaks down is availability. Flax you had to go hunt down, or park alts at node farms to get a fair amount per day. Eyes of Kormir come from EVERYTHING. Event rewards, salvaging drops, salvaging event rewards, the new champ bags. I started throwing them away after a few days because, seriously, I know I can always get more with no trouble.

> @TPMN.1483 said:

> Okay- so why are a bunch of materials which are 'account' bound - like the following: Granite, Tamarisk Reed not depoistable?

> - You need 10 before you can make the next material level.

These aren't crafting materials, and once you get the next level of them, you stop getting them forever. Making a slot in material storage for them is pointless, which by now you probably know.

Just read this thread and want to mention the backside of this decission: I also press deposit first, than go to a merchant en press 'sell junk' and than go to my inventory and delete all stuff that has no Obvious value. So, as a matter of fact, this new procudure made me delete all kinds of materials that I should have kept? Like Eyes of Kormir? Not a good idea :(

> @Albadaran.1283 said:

> Just read this thread and want to mention the backside of this decission: I also press deposit first, than go to a merchant en press 'sell junk' and than go to my inventory and delete all stuff that has no Obvious value. So, as a matter of fact, this new procudure made me delete all kinds of materials that I should have kept? Like Eyes of Kormir? Not a good idea :(

If you did that then that's not really any argument, because you don't sell mats on TP anyways, so there's no different whether you delete mats or first stock them up to 250 in your storage and THEN delete them.

Also Eyes of kormir are worth almost nothing, if you'll need them, you can easly buy them from TP, which confirms what ANet tried to achieve, probably (except for some more valuable mats? :D).

Not a valid reasoning on your part.

> @Sobx.1758 said:

> Also Eyes of kormir are worth almost nothing, if you'll need them, you can easly buy them from TP, _which confirms what ANet tried to achieve, probably_ (except for some more valuable mats? :D).

More likely it's a matter of having a much greater supply and much lower demand than, for example, flax. I don't think that it had anything to do with Anet's "inventory space" experiment.

> @Astralporing.1957 said:

> > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > Also Eyes of kormir are worth almost nothing, if you'll need them, you can easly buy them from TP, _which confirms what ANet tried to achieve, probably_ (except for some more valuable mats? :D).

>

> More likely it's a matter of having a much greater supply and much lower demand than, for example, flax. I don't think that it had anything to do with Anet's "inventory space" experiment.

>

Ah, ok. So what do you think about the comment I answered to? Is it a valid reasoning in your opinion? ;D Because "eye of kormir" wasn't really a key point of my post.

Also which mats exactly do you need so much to get place in the material storage?

> @Cameryn.5310 said:

> What *I'd* really like to know is, with all of this discussion about stored items, **why are cooking ingredients that are not consumables not included in material storage**? There are plenty of cooking mats that don't have separate on-consume buffs that should be.

Simple: Because near 75% of the Material Storage would be cooking ingredients. There are just too many of them.

> @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> Ok so with October 17 we are approaching the 4 week mark on PoF. I just want to bring this up as a reminder and would like a quick update on which materials will find their way into the storage.

>

> I think the Elephant in the room are Eyes of Kormir and Ley-infused Sand. Are there others I'm missing?

>

> Also: Do you think this experiment was a success?

Given what Gaile said, I'm assuming these will be added later today, with the Halloween patch ;)

> @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> Simple: Because near 75% of the Material Storage would be cooking ingredients. There are just too many of them.

No. Not everything. MOST cooking ingredients are consumables in and of themselves and shouldn't be in material storage.

I'm talking about the group of cooking crafting materials that are NOT consumables, i.e. not items that provide any boosts; just the ones that are only components of recipes and nothing more. That's a relatively small number (no more than 20-25 or so). THOSE should be in material storage because they provide zero benefit on their own.

> @TPMN.1483 said:

> Okay- so why are a bunch of materials which are 'account' bound - like the following: Granite, Tamarisk Reed not depoistable?

> - You need 10 before you can make the next material level.

>

> This does not help.

Because they turn into something for the funerary armor collection and that is all.

They are not an actual material used for crafting later down the line. Once you make the item for the collecting with the combined pieces by double clicking, they will stop being given to your account.

• 3 months later...

> @"Leviticus Lo.6178" said:

> I'd like to know why the new jewels (Sunset Jewel, Brandspark Jewel, etc) haven't been added to the Material Storage.

>

> Edit: I suppose this is a bit late for a response to this thread..

[Jewels](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jewel) have never been part of material storage, just [gemstones](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gemstone). Brandspark & Sunset Jewels serve the exact same purpose as exquisite burl jewels, e.g. they are used as an intermediate item to combine with settings and chains to make accessories.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Leviticus Lo.6178" said:

> > I'd like to know why the new jewels (Sunset Jewel, Brandspark Jewel, etc) haven't been added to the Material Storage.

> >

> > Edit: I suppose this is a bit late for a response to this thread..

>

> [Jewels](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jewel) have never been part of material storage, just [gemstones](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gemstone). Brandspark & Sunset Jewels serve the exact same purpose as exquisite burl jewels, e.g. they are used as an intermediate item to combine with settings and chains to make accessories.

In that case it should be their gemstone forms (which, as far as i know, not even exist) that should be dropping and being depositable in material storage.