Path of Fire Material Storage

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > @Gulesave.5073 said:

> > Am I the only one who saw that this is only a handful of materials, and will probably only be in effect for the first few weeks? I mean, I can definitely deal with that. And the reasoning is sound. Leaving them in inventory probably will result in more being sold, which should help quite a bit in stabilizing the value sooner.

>

> Telling me that it is so important that these particular materials be sold quickly that ANet are willing to go out of their way to add an annoyance factor affecting, potentially, the entire player base is a pretty solid way to convince me that the they are too important to sell quickly.

>

> I mean, whatever it is that needs these to be sold immediately after launch must be important enough for me to hold onto my mats for, right?

The importance of an item depends on whether the individual plans on using said item anytime soon. Although, the game does have materials a good amount of people don't use, and some they never do, yet they have some in their bank because of the "Deposit All Materials" button. Sometimes these materials are even forgotten. This means a portion of the supply is sitting around unused and not even being sold until they've deposited too much resulting in an increased cost early on where the demand tends to be at its highest.

They're not trying to get those who will use the item to sell it, they want those who do not use them to sell it so those who will don't pay as much. Whether their expirment works or not would have to be determined afterward, and hopefully they'll share the results.

Please reconsider. This is a bad move that does not help anyone, and only punishes normal players. Not much, but some.

You will not influence me with this - I will continue hoarding. But now that you made this post, I know why it is more annoying than normal, and thus will feel slightly unhappier with the game every time I will see these items in my inventory.

Next time, _do not announce things like this_. It does you no good whatsoever and only makes the game worse for us. Not by a huuuge margin or anything, but some. Inventory management is already annoying, and shouldn't be so. You should be working on making it LESS annoying, not more so!

My suggestion: Stop wasting your time non nonsense like this, and instead add more "open all" functionalities.

> @"Emissary Vex.5690" said:

> Just so you know, despite what you are doing I fully intend to still horde all crafting materials in my bank until I know what they are all for and have no intention of selling anything on the trading post until well after launch of the expansion. This change will simply make the game more difficult and tedious for me to accomplish the same thing and I will resent you for it.

Well, aside from resenting you for it which I will not do, I agree with this post. I will still hoard everything until I know what I should do with all of it.

> @Yamazuki.6073 said:

> They're not trying to get those who will use the item to sell it,

They are telling players that that they will be punished, their playing experience lessened, if they don't sell it......How is that not trying to get someone who might use the item to sell it?

Of course its entirely possible that instead of the hundreds, or thousands, of mats needed for use as has been the case in the past, there will be new recipes, etc, calling for five or ten mats per item to be crafted. Ultimately, as has been established as the norm in this game, the importance of mats is NOT determined by immediacy of intention to use because many of the mats that are important to a given collection, recipe, etc are required in such amounts as to make their collection a long term process, not an immediate effort.

> @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> I think it would have been the better move to be quiet about this experiment and tell us in 3 weeks about it - along with the patch to add the missing materials to the storage.

>

> It's a simple psychological principle: Give rather than take.

> There is a mechanic in WoW to discourage players from overextended playing. After a certain time they gain less rewards and XP until they log out for a certain time.

> Originally this was designed as a "Fatigue"-Debuff. And the community **HATED** it... until Blizzard made a very smart move: They negated the entire mechanic. Now players are "Rested" and get Bonus XP for a certain time after a logout period. And suddenly the Community lauded the system.

> The catch: The numbers are **exactly the same** as before. Blizzard basically just swapped the nameplates.

>

> And in the same way you could have presented this experiment to us.

> Have the items left out of storage silently. Players might be slightly sniffy about it, but we have learned from Lindsey that adding things to the storage is not particularly easy, so we may just shrug and say "Eh maybe it didn't fit in."

> And then in 3 weeks you can be like "Tadaaa! Here's your missing slots. Oh BTW we did this for a market experiment."

My initial reaction to this was to disagree. The basis for that disagreement would have been that when ANet does spring something negative or releases something with an apparent oversight without warning, they always get negative feedback for it.

My second thought was that -- as others have said -- telling us they were doing this to hopefully reduce hoarding will have an opposite effect, at least on those who hear about it. I'm certainly more inclined to hold onto this stuff until I see what the prices are like.

Otherwise, the "catch more flies with honey" approach is a worthy thought.

I understand the intention but i don't agree with the reasoning behind it. The price of flax in HoT spiked mainly because of the high demand for scribing and the halloween shoulder piece nightfury, wich needs a lot of it aswell, and got added at the same time. People were not hoarding flax by extended but because they planed on using it one way or another.

I think the price of flax was and still is because of how high the demand was. Building guild halls needed something like 100.000 Flax + what was needed for decorations before the scribe cost nerf. Also pretty much everything after that needed loads of flaxes. Compare this to other HoT materials which were not needed for like anything and they became worthless immediately and they were deposited just the same.

Balancing the recipes a bit might be better way than this.

People will just make new Banksy characters. Have already had to do that for some of the items that go wont' go into storage. When you need four stacks of something to build 1 piece of 300 for a legendary of course you're not going to sell until you're storage is full up... and if you can't store it in your bank, I already mentioned Banksy.

> @Link.1049 said:

> People will just make new Banksy characters. Have already had to do that for some of the items that go wont' go into storage. When you need four stacks of something to build 1 piece of 300 for a legendary of course you're not going to sell until you're storage is full up... and if you can't store it in your bank, I already mentioned Banksy.

Which means ANet sells some character slots?

Perhaps the behind the scenes reason for this decision.

Terrible idea. Don't try to manipulate player bevhavior like that, especially when it comes to the much complained about hassle of inventory management. It's condescending as well, in a "you'll be annoyed but it's for your own good" kind of way.

_Of course_ people hoard stuff. You made it so we need truckloads for crafting and guild halls. _Of course_ I "desposit everything" frequently and as the first measure when my inventory gets full. It's the easiest way to open some bag space.

If you want to reduce hoarding, maybe don't make certain recipes require so many materials, increase the drop rates so certain stat combinations aren't stupidly expensive, and make sure that no one type of item is used in everything and the kitchen sink. Flax versus sawgill mushrooms, for example: why do the latter even exist?

I'm definitely _not_ going to sell any of the new materials, no matter whether I can deposit them or not. It'd likely just come back to bite me in the you know what. It's just common sense IMO to sit on _everything_ until we've explored all new maps to check all new vendors, know what all new guild upgrades require, what the droprates seem to be, and which new stat combinations are worth going for.

People hoarded flax seed to the point of insanity. They don't want to see that happen again. Pretty reasonable. I'll disagree that it's peculiar behavior on the players part though. It's just what players do to make room for stuff.

In addition most players aren't savvy market barons who expertly expunge their material storage to the trading post to make infinite money to buy all the things. Thus they adopt a mentality of I'm going to need everything always at some point later, forever. It's an effort to avoid paying into the market by meeting their own needs.

Being unable to deposit a handful of items for a few weeks isn't going to kill anybody.

Those deadset on hoarding materials will still hoard these materials. Those that don't have the patience (or space) to do it will sell. Players that might not have sold before will now sell and probably make a nice chunk of change for a little while.

In the first few weeks of the expansions release, these new materials will be in great demand and probably be at the highest point of sale in the life of the items until people understand how to get these items readily. That should happen quite quickly given how fast some people blaze through content.

About a few weeks at best. Then the prices will stabilize and before you know it, into material storage they'll go.

> @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

> > @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> > I think it would have been the better move to be quiet about this experiment and tell us in 3 weeks about it - along with the patch to add the missing materials to the storage.

> >

> > It's a simple psychological principle: Give rather than take.

> > There is a mechanic in WoW to discourage players from overextended playing. After a certain time they gain less rewards and XP until they log out for a certain time.

> > Originally this was designed as a "Fatigue"-Debuff. And the community **HATED** it... until Blizzard made a very smart move: They negated the entire mechanic. Now players are "Rested" and get Bonus XP for a certain time after a logout period. And suddenly the Community lauded the system.

> > The catch: The numbers are **exactly the same** as before. Blizzard basically just swapped the nameplates.

> >

> > And in the same way you could have presented this experiment to us.

> > Have the items left out of storage silently. Players might be slightly sniffy about it, but we have learned from Lindsey that adding things to the storage is not particularly easy, so we may just shrug and say "Eh maybe it didn't fit in."

> > And then in 3 weeks you can be like "Tadaaa! Here's your missing slots. Oh BTW we did this for a market experiment."

>

> My initial reaction to this was to disagree. The basis for that disagreement would have been that when ANet does spring something negative or releases something with an apparent oversight without warning, they always get negative feedback for it.

>

> My second thought was that -- as others have said -- telling us they were doing this to hopefully reduce hoarding will have an opposite effect, at least on those who hear about it. I'm certainly more inclined to hold onto this stuff until I see what the prices are like.

>

> Otherwise, the "catch more flies with honey" approach is a worthy thought.

I just think -- and others have mentioned this before -- this will have a sort of Streisand effect, in that people will now know what materials ANet wants us to sell a lot... and not sell them.

> @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> > @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

> > > @hornswroggle.8023 said:

> > > I think it would have been the better move to be quiet about this experiment and tell us in 3 weeks about it - along with the patch to add the missing materials to the storage.

> > >

> > > It's a simple psychological principle: Give rather than take.

> > > There is a mechanic in WoW to discourage players from overextended playing. After a certain time they gain less rewards and XP until they log out for a certain time.

> > > Originally this was designed as a "Fatigue"-Debuff. And the community **HATED** it... until Blizzard made a very smart move: They negated the entire mechanic. Now players are "Rested" and get Bonus XP for a certain time after a logout period. And suddenly the Community lauded the system.

> > > The catch: The numbers are **exactly the same** as before. Blizzard basically just swapped the nameplates.

> > >

> > > And in the same way you could have presented this experiment to us.

> > > Have the items left out of storage silently. Players might be slightly sniffy about it, but we have learned from Lindsey that adding things to the storage is not particularly easy, so we may just shrug and say "Eh maybe it didn't fit in."

> > > And then in 3 weeks you can be like "Tadaaa! Here's your missing slots. Oh BTW we did this for a market experiment."

> >

> > My initial reaction to this was to disagree. The basis for that disagreement would have been that when ANet does spring something negative or releases something with an apparent oversight without warning, they always get negative feedback for it.

> >

> > My second thought was that -- as others have said -- telling us they were doing this to hopefully reduce hoarding will have an opposite effect, at least on those who hear about it. I'm certainly more inclined to hold onto this stuff until I see what the prices are like.

> >

> > Otherwise, the "catch more flies with honey" approach is a worthy thought.

>

> I just think -- and others have mentioned this before -- this will have a sort of Streisand effect, in that people will now know what materials ANet wants us to sell a lot... and not sell them.

Who would that benefit though? Are you suggesting people would do this out of spite? Because the angry bitter microcosm of this forum doesn't represent the player base as a whole. What they're doing is a good thing for the economy and a temporary measure at that.

No ones going to hoard items beyond their interests in what they can either craft or profit. The comparison to Flax Seed suggests most of these items won't be particularly hard to come by.

Once players figure out how things work and where to reliably get these things, it'll become a non-issue and these items will be depositable in the material storage.

I am entirely NOT happy with this at all.

Of course players horde materials, it is what naturally happens with long term players of an MMO, I find it rather cheeky that we have not been told which materials it is in advance also.

There were particular materials I ended up with several stacks of so ended up purchasing the maximum amount of storage stack expandera to accommodate them.

The reason I keep them is for guild give-a-ways and when I do loads of crafting. I need a lot, so it makes sense.

You guys DO realise that most people have a spare character slot right? So what are people going to do?

They are either going to open personal guilds to accommodate their stuff for storage or they will simply make mule characters.

Zero gain for the game and more of a pain in the backside for the players.

The IG economy is supposed to work like a real one....if people horde a particular currency, the government do not come out and say you can no longer put it in your piggy bank in the house.

Seriously hacked off.

> @Pifil.5193 said:

> Well, I currently deposit all because I don't know when I'll need something. Now I won't be able to deposit these mystery mats so they'll just clog up my inventory until I can stack them in the bank because I don't know when I'll need something.

>

> Basically, I won't sell something I might need.

Which is why, whilst I understand ANet's motivation, I don't think their planned stratagem will make much difference at all. Stuff you don't recognise, is quite possibly stuff you "might need". You get rid of it at your peril.

It's the same logic that drives many a casual player (and in this sort of context, despite having played continuously since shortly after launch, and probably playing several hours a day on average, in some senses I still count myself as a casual player - don't raid, don't PvP, rarely run fractals/dungeons, haven't crafted a legendary). It takes particular, focused sorts of player to dig deep into the announcements and analyse them; many of us (the vast majority, I suspect) just start off by getting in there and playing. For most people, it's... New mats? Hmmm. No idea whether they'll be something you ultimately want/need; better keep it for now. Certainly, don't throw something potentially useful away willy-nilly, until you know whether you're gong to want it two weeks down the line or not.

All I can say is John Smith is smarter then this. Shame he had to go. He would know economy would fix itself. Sure for a time flax seed was 30 silver. I maybe sold 80 at this proce. Then it dropped super fast. But remember, guild halls are something people really want to do fast. And unlike personal goal, guild wide sponsoring makes s peedclearing it easy. So with all this super guild hall thingy in mind: The prices will be high at launch, unless elona guild hall sucks. People will heard to protect own guild hall if needed. And see what price does. Only few people will sell. It is what it is.

Last week i required over 100 mystic coins to simply finish stuff like style guide, fine dining, fine whining etc. If i didnt heart mystic coins, i would not have enough. Hoarding is a natural process when you hide important recipes behind a launch item.

> @"Phoebe Ascension.8437" said:

> All I can say is John Smith is smarter then this. Shame he had to go. He would know economy would fix itself. Sure for a time flax seed was 30 silver. I maybe sold 80 at this proce. Then it dropped super fast. But remember, guild halls are something people really want to do fast. And unlike personal goal, guild wide sponsoring makes s peedclearing it easy. So with all this super guild hall thingy in mind: The prices will be high at launch, unless elona guild hall kitten. People will heard to protect own guild hall if needed. And see what price does. Only few people will sell. It is what it is.

>

> Last week i required over 100 mystic coins to simply finish stuff like style guide, fine dining, fine whining etc. If i didnt heart mystic coins, i would not have enough. Hoarding is a natural process when you hide important recipes behind a launch item.

John Smith left us? When?

What a horrible decision. Thanks for the heads up, now I now to clear my bags because I will just start hoarding stuff there instead of in my bank. I never sell stuff, just because. I always hold on to it for a while, until I decide if it's something that I want to stock up on for crafting. With PoF being just released I won't be dumping anything new on the market.

This really is a horrible idea. Why the favoritism for the demand side of the market at the expense of peoples inventory space? Seems to me the real root of the problem is creating such a high demand for certian mats at the same instant that those mats are first introduced. Why not delay the things that create the demand for a few weeks so that the supply can be established?

People have the choice to pay that much for mats or wait for the market to stabilize. Taking away players' ability to store the mats to try to force them to sell instead is absolutely the wrong way to go.

This will surely go down is history and one of the silliest and least popular decisions ever.

Too bad they took the thumbs down away. I would have loved to see the thumbs down count for this.

To make a simple set of exotic armor using oiled components, you need 1200 Piles of Flax Seeds. Assuming no material storage upgrades, that's 1 material storage slot + 4 bank tabs gone already. How many flax does one have to have in storage before Arenanet terms it "warehousing," instead of just saving up the mats the game actually asks for?