You need to make the main story chain soloable.

Tomoko.4071

> @"Coulter.2315" said:

> Every single instance is designed to be solo'd, you might need to look at your setup, playstyle and build. Have you bound your dodge key? Have you bound all important skills to easy to use keys? Are you using level appropriate weapons? Have you looked at all weapons, traits and utility skills to help you?

i used the skills and build i felt comfortable with, if i cant do that, then there is no real purpose in playing

if some builds arent good enough, then it is horrible design ,and they should mark those builds as unsuited for endgame

i see where this is going , i had the same argument on SWTOR forums

ill just get my fun somewhere else

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > @"Coulter.2315" said:

> > Every single instance is designed to be solo'd, you might need to look at your setup, playstyle and build. Have you bound your dodge key? Have you bound all important skills to easy to use keys? Are you using level appropriate weapons? Have you looked at all weapons, traits and utility skills to help you?

>

> i used the skills and build i felt comfortable with, if i cant do that, then there is no real purpose in playing

> if some builds arent good enough, then it is horrible design ,and they should mark those builds as unsuited for endgame

> i see where this is going , i had the same argument on SWTOR forums

> ill just get my fun somewhere else

>

Your own experimentation will tell you if a build is unsuitable for playing story, you can find out yourself. You are being offered choices and part of the game is figuring out which choices are best for you and the content you're playing. The build you're struggling with may be perfectly usable for other people to complete story instances but if it isn't working for you try switching stuff up.

If you're getting the same responses in other games then you might be doing something weird.

Personal story is perfectly built for solo play. It does not need to be any easier. HoT and PoF have parts that would be less painful in groups (namely some boss battles, simply because they take looooong), but are still completely possible to solo, and I and millions of other people have.

Like other people are saying; you need to look at your build, playstyle, and if you are struggling with a piece of content, take your time to evaluate it, and come up with a strategy to overcome it.

> > Every single instance is designed to be solo'd, you might need to look at your setup, playstyle and build. Have you bound your dodge key? Have you bound all important skills to easy to use keys? Are you using level appropriate weapons? Have you looked at all weapons, traits and utility skills to help you?

>

> i used the skills and build i felt comfortable with, if i cant do that, then there is no real purpose in playing

> if some builds arent good enough, then it is horrible design ,and they should mark those builds as unsuited for endgame

>

A key part of playing is adapting to what the game throws at you. Your normal open-world build that you're most comfortable with may not need condi cleanse or stun breaks and still do fine, but if you're faced with an enemy that uses lots of condis or repeatedly interrupts you then swap a few skills or traits around and try again. Your primary weapons might be close-range but this enemy stands in pulsing aoe fields. Try long range, even if you're less comfortable with it. Or at least accept that you'd be purposely handicapping yourself by not trying alternative choices (which I have no problem with! I actually enjoy doing that very thing in many games.)

Not all builds are going to perform equally, nor should they. Someone who is capable of dodging most attacks and slotting more offensive skills will kill faster than one who takes blocks and invulnerabilities, and why shouldn't they? Conversely if you're taking too much damage try taking more blocks and invulns and focus the dangerous mobs first while you have them to protect you. Eventually you'll find something that works or learn the mob mechanics well enough to survive.

#BUT IT IS SOLOABLE

You wanna know what's not soloable? Dredge fractal.

You wanna know what's not soloable? CoF p3

You wanna know what's not soloable? Jungle wurm world event.

Even the really hard stuff like mushroom queen and champion avatar of balthazar (auric basin) can be solo'd with some planning.

Every story mission is soloable. I've done all of them by myself and I know many others who have done as well.

What you want to do is check your gear to make sure it is at least all exotic and that it has good runes/sigils on all of them. After that you want to check your traits and weapons to make sure you can both be offensive or defensive depending on what you need. The main thing you need to figure out for that is the reason you're dying in the particular mission you're in. Are you not killing them fast enough or are you not able to sustain yourself. You can also buy food for a boost that will help you out.

Good luck!

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> #BUT IT IS SOLOABLE

>

> You wanna know what's not soloable? Dredge fractal.

>

> You wanna know what's not soloable? CoF p3

>

> You wanna know what's not soloable? Jungle wurm world event.

>

> Even the really hard stuff like mushroom queen and champion avatar of balthazar (auric basin) can be solo'd with some planning.

I can solo a lot of "group events". Especially when they're champion bosses like those super easy Krait Witch and such.

Doesn't mean it's soloable though even though I can solo it.

Trust me, you'll want to be able to solo the main story to get to a skill level you can handle HoT. If you can't solo the main story, you have lots of room to grow. It's dirt easy for a good player. Think of it as a challenge to overcome. Once you get used to attacking while moving (since that can be done with most skills in the game) You're ready for it. Next would be to use that movement intelligently for positioning, which you'll need in HoT and all content after.

You'll realize eventually how to game the ai in this game with side steps. I can twirl around almost any npc (not all group events) and beat them with only auto attacking.

Keep at it, you'll also need these skills if you ever want to do pvp. But once you do, there will never be a creature that can take you on, and if one can, it's just a matter of swapping some gear or traits/utilities.

No spoilers really, but there are missions later where you'll be fighting dozens of npcs at once. Sadly, they all do the same thing, just walk around them in a circle and they become useless. (You still might need to learn some attacks to evade)

>

>

I don't see it as an argument, but I feel I should make a point about your position, games in general, and GW2 in particular.

Having all content do-able by any build a player slaps together is an approach that's appropriate (and necessary) for games where a player's build choices are permanent or long-lasting (it's usually balanced by placing an emphasis on equipment, to allow players to compensate for the most egregious errors). GW2, by contrast, is the exact opposite - a game where player can fully respec on a whim. Within the limits of the skills you know, you can reset your build at any time, and the further you progress into the game as you progress, the wider those limits become, until by level 80 you have access to every possible build within the original game.

In the original Guild Wars, a huge part of making progress in the game was making sure you equipped appropriate skills before leaving the cities and entering the instanced content - and as you progressed through the game, the "right" skills were, increasingly, elite ones that you had to actually go out and adventure to acquire. Guild Wars 2 hasn't made quite such a big deal of skills, but it definitely shares that basic ethos with its predecessor. You have a raft of skills (some now called "specializations"), each of which has its pluses and minuses, and many of them will be useful in some situations and not others. And - whether you like it or not - the game is still, at its heart, designed around an assumption that players will make at least some attempt to find a build that's at least vaguely suitable to the content they're doing. Your choices are much wider than they were with GW, and lots more will work - but whenever you have a choice of what build to run, there will always be ones that are out-and-out **bad**, and you need to recognise that. ("They" aren't going to mark builds as such - what works and what doesn't shifts over time as the game is tuned, and it's us players who, ultimately, find out what works and what doesn't. If you want opinions, read the forums; maybe post a build there.) But when all specs are available to everyone, the alternative, frankly, is content that's so lacking in challenge that most people are complaining about how "easy" the game is - and if that's the sort of game you're looking for you, then (a) GW2 isn't it, and (b) I seriously wonder what MMO is - or who would publish it and expect to make money.

My suggestion would be two-fold.

1. Loosen up a bit, and give a different spec a try. My experience is that modest tweaks to my build rarely make a difference to my play style - but they can make a big difference to how well my character copes with content.

2. Take a good hard look at the professions, and consider whether you're actually playing the right one. Ignoring profession "titles", they have a wide range of "feels" about them, and some are way more suited to some play styles than others. It may simply be that you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and a different profession would fit the way that you want to play much better.

(That doesn't mean to say that there haven't been times when some types of builds for some professions have been out-and-out poorly served - where, say, you wanted to play a particular profession with a condition-damage build, but there really wasn't one available that worked. Such things are are rarely deliberate on the part of the developers, but they do happen, in any game - it's not a problem unique to GW2. But tbh - and this is a purely personal viewpoint - if you **really** feel that you ought to be able to slide through the content with any profession, any old build, any old equipment, any old play-style - then, yes, you're probably playing the wrong game. Maybe even the wrong genre entirely.)

*Edit: There's also the other big difference between, say, WoW and GW2. No "Holy Trinity". Which means that there are some basics of plays tyle that you can't ignore. You need to take responsibility for some sort of healing; some sort of condition removal; some sort of damage delivery; some sort of damage reduction. And that places a big emphasis on movement. If you think that, say, you can just put on the best armour you can currently afford, and go slug it out with whatever comes - you're going to die.*

lol...so i spent the last 17 years in the wrong genre?

my first mmo was a hardcore sandbox title. earth&beyond..that withered and died

second was wow..even had full PVP gear on my main toons

city of heroes, perfect world, aion ,tera, STO ,SWTOR ,APB , WoT, WoWS,FF ARR..and thats just the big ones

i know good gaming when i see it

and those stories are ruining the game

> lol...so i spent the last 17 years in the wrong genre?

> my first mmo was a hardcore sandbox title. earth&beyond..that withered and died

> second was wow..even had full PVP gear on my main toons

> city of heroes, perfect world, aion ,tera, STO ,SWTOR ,APB , WoT, WoWS,FF ARR..and thats just the big ones

> i know good gaming when i see it

> and those stories are ruining the game

Hey - *you're* the one complaining that you can't get through content that's been pretty much the same for 5 years, and that most of 11 million players seem perfectly happy with. OK, "wrong genre" doesn't apply in your case - but you're certainly dragging *some* sort of baggage with you, that's stopping you getting to grips with even the basics of this particular game. Perhaps you should take a look at you assumptions, and see which ones are flawed.

(I won't say more than that - like I said - I wasn't trying to have an argument, simply make a few points.)

> @"cNd.1096" said:

> How it is even possible to not be able to solo main story? Even without equipment it should be fairly easy.

For a new player it is possible to stall at some story steps. I remember the first time I played the Sylvari PS. At some point I had to fight a bunch of fat-ass-frogs and they would take turns knocking me down. As an underleveled elementalist with limited access to stability and not enough experience to dodge these attacks I eventually had to give up. I finished it after gaining a few more levels. By now that story step is level-gated, so entering it at the level I first tried is impossible.

Claw Island can also be tricky if you don't understand what to do and just keep bashing undead skulls. You won't run out of enemies and eventually get overwhelmed.

Still, all of these are L2P issues that can be overcome by learning the basics of GW2. I also wouldn't count on nerfs coming. The base-game already underwent significant nerfs, so there's barely any difficulty left from release and beta.

Tomoko, I won't say that all the personal story is easy and can be soloed. I completed it in solo, but I died many times in some points, with my first character. And we are not all the same. If you still need some help and you play on the EU servers, feel free to send me a whisper. I would replay some part of the story with pleasure.

> @"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:

> > @"cNd.1096" said:

> > How it is even possible to not be able to solo main story? Even without equipment it should be fairly easy.

>

> For a new player it is possible to stall at some story steps. I remember the first time I played the Sylvari PS. At some point I had to fight a bunch of fat-kitten-frogs and they would take turns knocking me down. As an underleveled elementalist with limited access to stability and not enough experience to dodge these attacks I eventually had to give up. I finished it after gaining a few more levels. By now that story step is level-gated, so entering it at the level I first tried is impossible.

>

> Claw Island can also be tricky if you don't understand what to do and just keep bashing undead skulls. You won't run out of enemies and eventually get overwhelmed.

>

> Still, all of these are L2P issues that can be overcome by learning the basics of GW2. I also wouldn't count on nerfs coming. The base-game already underwent significant nerfs, so there's barely any difficulty left from release and beta.

There are some moments in main story where you have to think, but nothing more, there isn't anything challenging until HoT.

If they make the main story any more soloable you'd be getting the rewards at the start of the instance.

They cannot go any easier without all enemies and events coming to a complete stop.

In the legendarily rare instance that you die in a story instance, review your combat style and or equipment, compare it to the boss and try again.

If you do die, and you've died without alterating your equipment or skills, do not come ranting on the forums, look at the boss and bring more breaking, CC, or stability, accordingly

> @"Tom.9516" said:

> So many helpfull comments but no reply from Op. Makes u think this is just another troll post, or OP does not really care about this game " he so badly wants to play".

Might've lost track of the thread or/and got helped by someone that added them ig and now has no use for it.

> @"moonstarmac.4603" said:

> Everything else is extremely easy to solo...as long as you do not forget that in the core story you cannot glide...then, one wrong move and *splat*.

I seem to recall one instance near the Vigil Keep where I did just that. And to make matters worse, I sometimes like to see just how close to the ground I can get before opening the glider. So my first time was "Drat, must have been a split second too late." And my second time (not wanting to just give up) was "Nope. I'm just dumber than the grass I'm splattered on."