The Case for Tengu and Cantha

I'm not suggesting ANet make Tengu a playable race, I'm sure there were plans at one point and perhaps it was scrapped in favor of getting GW2 released in timely manner (I bet you the Cantha district would have been a combo with Tengu culture as well since they were both from Cantha), I also do not suggest they are considering it because of the work required for two racial zones personal story chapters, 9 different armor sets, etc etc etc.

How ever that being said, I suggest Season 5, which will bridge the gap between Season 4 and Expansion 4 could take place in the Dominion of the 4 Winds, the Tengu could be introduced as a community of NPCs where you help protect them from the attacks of a Canthan invasion of Genocide. Hell make a couple different Combat Tonics so you have different options for Tengu looks (as WP suggests this would be a great compromise).

I suggest this would lead into an Expansion where we save the Deep Sea Dragon from a Technologically advanced Canthan Empire that has enslaved it and siphoned it's Power, Canth is portrayed like the Empire in Final Fantasy 7 perhaps. They could even have the Canthans in artificially constructed environments and have Cantha be an uninhabitable End Game wasteland perhaps.

Ah well, just some musings from the Forum Pinata.

> @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> I'm not suggesting ANet make Tengu a playable race, I'm sure there were plans at one point and perhaps it was scrapped in favor of getting GW2 released in timely manner (I bet you the Cantha district would have been a combo with Tengu culture as well since they were both from Cantha), I also do not suggest they are considering it because of the work required for two racial zones personal story chapters, 9 different armor sets, etc etc etc.

>

> How ever that being said, I suggest Season 5, which will bridge the gap between Season 4 and Expansion 4 could take place in the Dominion of the 4 Winds, the Tengu could be introduced as a community of NPCs where you help protect them from the attacks of a Canthan invasion of Genocide. Hell make a couple different Combat Tonics so you have different options for Tengu looks (as WP suggests this would be a great compromise).

>

> I suggest this would lead into an Expansion where we save the Deep Sea Dragon from a Technologically advanced Canthan Empire that has enslaved it and siphoned it's Power, Canth is portrayed like the Empire in Final Fantasy 7 perhaps. They could even have the Canthans in artificially constructed environments and have Cantha be an uninhabitable End Game wasteland perhaps.

>

> Ah well, just some musings from the Forum Pinata.

Some of these ideas are actually pretty decent. I've always thought of the Tengu as the true protectors of Cantha. Perhaps one day they intend to go back and reclaim their place in Canthan society, and have positioned the Dominion of Winds where they can best view all the other races and absorb their skills and knowledge.

Secretly, I hope the Tengu are building giant robots inside the Dominion, an amalgamation of Asura, Charr and Human technology, and the day is coming when they'll stomp off to Cantha to fight the Empire. Or X-wings...:)

Tengu where not just from Cantha. They existed in Cantha, Shing Jae, but also shiverpeaks, kryta and the tarnished coast. The only difference is that most Canthan Tengu where friendly cause of the treaty of 1071AE. After the events in winds of change, the Tengu went to the dominion of the winds to live there in seclusion.

Given this, I actually would not find it convincing to tie them as a playable race to a canthan release.

I would love to see them as a playable race. But if it was never incorporated in development, I find it unlikely as it requires redesigning all armor skins that are not cultural. I would love to hear from an Arenanet official to comment if an extra playable race is still considered to be on the table.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> Tengu where not just from Cantha. They existed in Cantha, Shing Jae, but also shiverpeaks, kryta and the tarnished coast. The only difference is that most Canthan Tengu where friendly cause of the treaty of 1071AE. After the events in winds of change, the Tengu went to the dominion of the winds to live there in seclusion.

>

> Given this, I actually would not find it convincing to tie them as a playable race to a canthan release.

>

> I would love to see them as a playable race. But if it was never incorporated in development, I find it unlikely as it requires redesigning all armor skins that are not cultural. I would love to hear from an Arenanet official to comment if an extra playable race is still considered to be on the table.

>

I don't want to see them as a playable race at all, I'd settle for a few LW Zones with in depth Season Plot leading up to an Expansion, with multiple Combat tonics for each heart to give the illusion of a playable race and some cosmetic variety.