Goodbye BLC, Goodbye RNG?

Daroon.1736

Just read an interesting article on the BBC website. It's the first time I have come across a news article on this subject and it's the type of 'child protection' issue that; if the mainstream media latch onto and run with, government legislation, could well follow.

In that event, down the line - Anet and many other games companies, may need to seriously rethink their business models.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42311533

Accounts with disalbed features depends the age of the owner could be a possibility.

You can think that removing rng and stuff like BLC, Mount Contracts and so on would be a nice thing, but remember that gw2 is going forward because of those who buy those things. And, personally, i am quite scared about the alternatives when there won't be any BLC at all.

> @"Daroon.1736" said:

> Just read an interesting article on the BBC website. It's the first time I have come across a news article on this subject and it's the type of 'child protection' issue that; if the mainstream media latch onto and run with, government legislation, could well follow.

>

> In that event, down the line - Anet and many other games companies, may need to seriously rethink their business models.

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42311533

So then every game becomes “Hello monthly fee, Hello $25 per item”?

Edit- And the industry average for monthly fees has been $15 for a long time... With rising costs, I’m thinking $20 monthly access fees will become a thing because there are lots of expenses with doing business, paying employees, taxes... So get ready for what you peeps are wishing for...

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Daroon.1736" said:

> > Just read an interesting article on the BBC website. It's the first time I have come across a news article on this subject and it's the type of 'child protection' issue that; if the mainstream media latch onto and run with, government legislation, could well follow.

> >

> > In that event, down the line - Anet and many other games companies, may need to seriously rethink their business models.

> >

> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42311533

>

> So then every game becomes “Hello monthly fee, Hello $25 per item”?

Who knows? but it is certainly one of those stories that if campaign groups and mainstream media decide to run with it, it could have a very big impact on what is permitted within games.

As I am sure, many people have pointed out before in previous discussions, BLC in particular, could be seen as a form of unlicensed gambling and it would only take a a few poorly researched tabloid headlines before a very big spotlight would be focused on these type of in game transactions.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> Accounts with disalbed features depends the age of the owner could be a possibility.

>

> You can think that removing rng and stuff like BLC, Mount Contracts and so on would be a nice thing, but remember that gw2 is going forward because of those who buy those things. And, personally, **i am quite scared about the alternatives when there won't be any BLC at all**.

>

Probably stuff like dye subscription fees like BDO has.

GW2 gives numerous dyes for free, and they are permanent, and account wide, so it would be something slightly different though....

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > Accounts with disalbed features depends the age of the owner could be a possibility.

> >

> > You can think that removing rng and stuff like BLC, Mount Contracts and so on would be a nice thing, but remember that gw2 is going forward because of those who buy those things. And, personally, **i am quite scared about the alternatives when there won't be any BLC at all**.

> >

>

> Probably stuff like dye subscription fees like BDO has.

>

> GW2 gives numerous dyes for free, and they are permanent, and account wide, so it would be something slightly different though....

They have to push you to buy the sub.

I am not sure that it will work, and also i'd prefer to be able to buy dyes from the TP when a new tier comes.

Currently, this is ( to me ) the best system.

Those who want to spend real cash are allowed, and those who want don't.

GW2 has just to set some limits per accounts, depends the age of the owner.

The Gamble is not illegal, but there's an issue if minors are related.

To me a sub would be something like

10 € per month

1. +15% Karma/Golds/MagicFind/Currencies.

2. 800 Gems.

3. Special pass with Crafting station, MF, Bank, TP, etc... ( 30days duration. you will get one new every time the subscription is renewed ).

4. Discounts on GEMSTORE ( and on high tier gems purcases ).