Has there been any official discussion (in or out of game) about the possibility of GW3?

judeobscure.2537

I am not aware of any conversation regarding GW3 beyond comments made around launch. At which point they'd said that they didn't plan on doing a GW3 because everything they'd want to do for that could be done in GW2. Essentially the goal with GW2 was to make it expandable in such a way that having to build a new game to achieve what they wanted to achieve was not necessary. Which is why we ended up with GW2 in the first place.

My guess is that, if there ever is a Guild Wars 3, it's a long ways away. GW2 is a lot more expandable than GW1, with more systems and more flexibility in what sort of content and other systems ArenaNet can add. There's less of a need for a full sequel when the existing game can change quite a bit with updates and expansions.

> @Yargesh.4965 said:

> Most (not all) of the posts about gw3 seem to be from gw1 players who believe for some reason that it will be gw1 with jumping. Not really sure why they believe this but it is the very strong impression that I get.

Nostalgia. I still love GW and a jumping mechanic would be nice in it if only to keep me from doing something stupid when I go back in to play it.

That being said, we aren't going backwards. So GW3 might be an instance of the Charr going to Space or something. Maybe we all officially graduate to being sky pirates or something. But not GW.

I will give you some interesting facts:

1) The achievement reward list goes up to 60k Achievement Points, with appropriate rewards until 54k Achievement Points

2) We get approximately 2.5k Achievement Points per year

3) The current maximum possible number of Achievement Points is ~36k or around there (top players have ~35k)

This means they planned ahead the Achievement Rewards for about the next 10 years.

Unless they increase the amount of Achievement Points we get exponentially, there won't be a Guild Wars 3 until ~2027

Compare how stagnant GW1 was five years in compared to how GW2 is now, five years in. This game has a lot of time of active development left in it still. However eventually they will have to move on for sure, the game can't last indefinitely. But it won't be any time soon and they've never mentioned even discussing it.

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> I will give you some interesting facts:

> 1) The achievement reward list goes up to 60k Achievement Points, with appropriate rewards until 54k Achievement Points

> 2) We get approximately 2.5k Achievement Points per year

> 3) The current maximum possible number of Achievement Points is ~36k or around there (top players have ~35k)

>

> This means they planned ahead the Achievement Rewards for about the next 10 years.

> Unless they increase the amount of Achievement Points we get exponentially, there won't be a Guild Wars 3 until ~2027

Well, just because a GW3 is made doesn't mean GW2 servers will shut down, GW1 is still up.

They could remove the daily cap etc when they release GW3. Then there is still progression to be had by logging into the game and getting your 10 daily ap.

> @WoodStatue.2563 said:

> Compare how stagnant GW1 was five years in compared to how GW2 is now, five years in. This game has a lot of time of active development left in it still. However eventually they will have to move on for sure, the game can't last indefinitely. But it won't be any time soon and they've never mentioned even discussing it.

To add to this, Guild Wars: Eye of the North was released 2 years into GW1, shortly after GW2 was announced. The reason that GW2 was announced is because ArenaNet realised that they were not able to able to do what they wanted to do in (the unreleased) Guild Wars: Utopia, and so they shifted development to Guild Wars 2, with GW:EN used to bridge the gap. However, the final content release for GW1 was in February 2012, a mere 6 months before GW2 launched, so even though it was mostly stagnant there were some final content additions to Guild Wars 1 in the last year of Guild Wars 1's active phase.

At this point then, I believe that there is no reason to expect a Guild Wars 3 in the near future. As long as Guild Wars 2 is versatile enough for ArenaNet to add the features they wish to add to the game, which at current it seems to be, then new content and new features can continue to be added without any need for a sequel. While it is true that it is possible to maintain two games simultaneously, splitting the community between multiple games is not really a good idea as long as it is feasible to continue development on the current game.

far as Guild Wars 3 goes not heard a word at all on it till now myself . and should Guild Wars 3 happen i really do hope they learn from all the mistakes they made with guild wars 2 and remove them mistakes and bugs . to bring a far more better game then guild wars and guild wars 2 put together even . and really blow the players minds so far out of the water sky and sand . making the players try harder to bring back the old players and new players too . but honestly i do not see any of this possibly happening at all given the current and past game problems and so forth

> @Yargesh.4965 said:

> Most (not all) of the posts about gw3 seem to be from gw1 players who believe for some reason that it will be gw1 with jumping. Not really sure why they believe this but it is the very strong impression that I get.

I came in in 2014. If there were a GW3 for me it would mean getting in on the 'ground floor'.

Archived