Essential Features in any WvW lobby/OS Update

Swordfish.8512

In reaction to a surge in responses hinting towards a change to Obsidian Sanctum or a WvW lobby, here are some features I believe are essential in creating a usable, fun addition to the game mode.

I don’t believe this list is the ‘be all and end all’, but think it is vital that as a community we discuss want we need from a lobby before it is made instead of asking for changes later.

##Arena Support

This lobby is the perfect place to create an instanced arena, similar to Guild Arenas, that supports GvG style combat. Essential features of this arena include-

* Across tier usage (players from any matchup)

* Ability to lock out trolls/adds and keep it guild/squad based for the duration of the fight

* uses WvW skill balance

* Similar size to the OS arena- at LEAST 20% larger than guild hall

Additional useful QoL features that are non essential to the combat but would go miles in helping the game mode-

* Spectator/streamer support (visible distinction of team colours, invuln/untargetable team)

* A timer

* A scoring system

##Merchant and QoL Support

* All current WvW vendors + a guild bank. Crafting would be nice!

* A golem setup like HotM, especially the mass golems, to test skills with WvW balance on large scale enemies

* An area to test siege!!! Help new players learn the difference between trebs, catas, rams etc

##WvW Systems

* Participation decay (or a merchant allowing you to cash it in)

* See scoreboard/maps from lobby

* Map portals (as seen in LA, this can be done regardless of player servers)

I would be stoked with these changes, if my list is missing anything please add it, I believe these features are essential to making sure that any WvW lobby isn’t a waste of resources.

I agree with all that you're suggesting.

I'm not expecting much though, especially in the QoL section : most vendors, bank and crafting would make any WvW lobby a far better alternative to all the lobbies (royal terrace, lily of elon, mistlock sanctuary etc.) they're selling in gems. Moreover, the WvW one would have the "get me back to my previous map" that only mistlock has.

Of course, some would say that luring people in WvW for QoL may have a positive effect on population, but I'm honestly not betting much on that part, unfortunately.

I just read about it and got super duper hyped.

This is a really really interesting idea.

Just take the OS like it is right now. No Need for Floating Islands. Flatten it. Leave the Jumping puzzle somehow. and then add everything. Make the Arena more accessible.

Make a second Arena that is mainly used for gvg and outside the main instance.

> @"ThomasC.1056" said:

> I agree with all that you're suggesting.

>

> I'm not expecting much though, especially in the QoL section : most vendors, bank and crafting would make any WvW lobby a far better alternative to all the lobbies (royal terrace, lily of elon, mistlock sanctuary etc.) they're selling in gems. Moreover, the WvW one would have the "get me back to my previous map" that only mistlock has.

> Of course, some would say that luring people in WvW for QoL may have a positive effect on population, but I'm honestly not betting much on that part, unfortunately.

I like the ideas here but unfortunately I bet that ANet would not go for a lobby in OS that's like Mistlock etc. That would just make them lose gems on lobby purchases.. Seriously! People would be able to go to WvW... and actually USE it for more than farming karma and pips and not have to pay a fortune for these blasted lobbies that ANet must make a lot of money off of, esp when a new one is created.

Seeing this thread was almost exactly what I have been thinking lately... at least the parts about a 'lobby'... get us some crafting stations, bank, TP, and yes even a couple JP's in there for fun. Make it a fun place to go let your pips die down, and yes the ideas about golems/siege etc so people can learn in there would be great!

> @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"xDudisx.5914" said:

> > > 1) create an wvw lobby

> > > 2) create an exclusive area inside it and sell passes

> > PvE is the lobby to WvW.

>

> Your pips don't stay when you go into PvE... that's why the push for something in OS is going on.

Pips stay in OS. You can't earn nor see participation in OS, but the pips do come as well as the progress towards the track you have selected.

But adding things to do there like crafting, merchants, yes, that would be very good.

>

> Your pips don't stay when you go into PvE... that's why the push for something in OS is going on.

Just saw your above post. Feel foolish now..., :#

>

Pips stay, wat? Your participation remain in PvE (you just cant see the timer).

If you are saying you should still get pips in such a "lobby", the very idea of that is an insult to real WvWers actually fighting in the field.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"xDudisx.5914" said:

> > > > 1) create an wvw lobby

> > > > 2) create an exclusive area inside it and sell passes

> > > PvE is the lobby to WvW.

> >

> > Your pips don't stay when you go into PvE... that's why the push for something in OS is going on.

> Pips stay, wat? Your participation remain in PvE (you just cant see the timer).

>

> If you are saying you should still get pips in such a "lobby", the very idea of that is an insult to real WvWers actually fighting in the field.

Lol, no. After hours of fighting in wvw, I am going to hang around for 15 more minutes and run down some pips. Being able to do that in a wvw lobby map with a bank, a trading post, and a tick counter, instead of in a map with live fights, would in no way be an insult to all the fights I had just participated in.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > If we get a WvW lobby it should have statues for the top 5 players with the highest kills each week (reset Weekly), separated by EU and NA.

>

> No. Best KDR with a minimum of 50 kills.

Would be to easy, any half decent thief could get 50 kills for 0 deaths if they really wanted too...