Create a Server based Chat Channel

Strider Pj.2193

> @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

I would Imagine since we are into January and haven't heard anything, that is isn't possible to do? Or maybe that it would be too much coding?

Thanks.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

>

> I would Imagine since we are into January and haven't heard anything, that is isn't possible to do? Or maybe that it would be too much coding?

>

> Thanks.

An enhancement to WvW, highly doubt it.

> @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

>

> Technically, it should work the same way team chat works in WvW - cross map communication for those on the same team. PvE has more or less done away with this sort of thing already, but if it could be brought back, the server vs server first competitions might come back too (think Teq [bG] and Triple Headed Worm [Deso])

So you want this so that you can organize competitions that exclude the linked servers??? At least that's how it sounds.

> Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

While I'm happy to see that this great idea has been noticed, this comment sums up what seems to be GW2's biggest drawback - the extreme difficulty there seems to be in implementing features that have been standard in other MMOs for a decade or more. Anyone who played EverQuest ten or fifteen years ago should be able to remember that not only could you join chat channels that communicated throughout your server, you could join chat channels on any other server and even on other MMOs run by the same game company. What's more, anyone could create their own chat channels and invite people from their server, other servers or other games to join them.

Add to that the fact that the request for some kind of World Chat has been made repeatedly, not least on these forums, ever since the move to Megaservers and it's quite disheartening to see it being treated as some kind of fresh and unobtainable dream in 2017.

Still, if it does happen, better late than never!

I'm curious as to why it isn't feasible. Is it because it doesn't meet an Anet standard and was scrapped? Could a lesser standard be done that could be put to a vote to WvW?

> @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > > Hey guys,. A little late to the thread. My gut is telling me that this isn't feasible but I can ask around a bit tomorrow.

> >

> > Technically, it should work the same way team chat works in WvW - cross map communication for those on the same team. PvE has more or less done away with this sort of thing already, but if it could be brought back, the server vs server first competitions might come back too (think Teq [bG] and Triple Headed Worm [Deso])

>

> So you want this so that you can organize competitions that exclude the linked servers??? At least that's how it sounds.

It would create and maintain what little community they have left on their servers. I don't see it as a bad thing

• 5 weeks later...

I was about to suggest almost the same thing.

Coming from Secret World (Legends), I deeply miss the global chat channel ("Sanctuary") we had there it's nice running around the world and "listening" to other people talk about stuff. Kind of like driving a truck with a CB radio, I guess :-D

In all seriousness, though, I do think a global chat would help people - it would be easier to ask for non-combat help, for one. Where would I now go to ask something? LA? Then I have go out to try it, and when I come back the people who previously answered are gone.

Of course, there is the eternal problem of spammers and nuisances.

I *think* what SWL did was log the immediate chat when someone was blocked, so that if it happened more often, the devs could take a look.

A timed restriction on posting might also help - say, 1 second between posts. Shouldn't be enough to be a problem, but you can't just CTRL-V/Enter a hundred times.

Only issue I see is global chat message: "Come to XX and Help XX do XX" . Problem is maps have instances so this doesn't work along with merged servers so I can see where the issues would arise. I am not against it as it would be logistically a programmable nightmare? I like the idea and asking never hurts. Would be nice for recruiting for map events and such.