Forum Reactions [merged]

kurfu.5623

> @Waldo.8075 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @Waldo.8075 said:

> > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > @Waldo.8075 said:

> > > > > And so what if my post gets thumbed down? A thumb-down doesn't do much other than being there. It's not constructive and doesn't add anything at all because there could be a million reasons as to why it got thumbed down, but none of it would be mentioned so therefore it means less that nothing.

> > > >

> > > > It would mean i would have had one reply less to write and one less for you to read. Because it's apparently better that you misrepresent the opposing argument and me to write that you are and then you to write that you're not and we go in an infinite circle than it is to just click a button and move on. You're not willing to listen to the opposition nor counter provided arguments nor present new ones so where should the discussion go? Obviously 20+ more pages and a boat load of wasted time...

> > >

> > > Now here's a thing.

> > > And right now I'm going to point at that "you're not willing to listen."

> > > As long as you do not listen to people, people won't listen to you.

> > > Do you see where I'm getting at?

> > >

> > > Now, look at how many people disagree with you, compared to the amount of people who disagree with me.

> > >

> > > And it'd be nice to know if there are people out there who disagree with me other than this single individual. Someone who can give me a valid counter argument.

> > >

> >

> > You won't know how many people disagree with me because that option was removed. You may have some people who would thumb down my semi-ironic post that i admitted to being an emotionally charged appeal (you obviously missed that) but not my actual message unless people deliberately poll for it.

> >

> > What's hilarious is you've taken the moral high horse stance of "who agrees with you vs who agrees with me" which *doesn't even matter* because you don't approve of the popularity contest of the downvote system anyway unless of cousw it feeds your argument i suppose.

> >

> > And i do hope someone besides me gives you a counter argument. Apparently, you'd just ignore mine giving yourself the false assumption that only certain people don't agree with you.

>

> Oh I would know the amount of people disagreeing if I read the actual posts and not rely on a feature everyone can abuse without consequences, which I do and I can only count a half because if I read your posts (and you seem the only one to disagree).

>

> I'm simply basing my opinions on what I read and view it from a neutral point.

>

> The reason why I brought up the, what you call, 'moral high horse stance' is because you flung around your opinions and treat them like facts, as if a whole community stands behind you and thinks the same.

>

> Another reason as to why it's better to write something constructive instead of clicking a simple button.

The thing is, you only think you know how many agree or disagree with you because not everyone has had a chance to express their opinion. Even when they do, not everyone has time to reply and/or quote every post they disagree with. Again, silence is not an admission of disagreement or agreement.

And frankly, your word usage (talking about the use of 'abusive') can tell me a lot of where you're arguing from. Being down voted is not abuse nor is using the feature how you see fit. It's *exploitive* to game the system like you describe but not abusive. Look up the terms and you will understand. But guess what else can be exploited? Upvotes and helpfuls.

Now counter that argument without deviating the topic.

And I'm not flinging my opinions around as facts, i just have conviction enough to defend my my opinions.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > > > > @rapthorne.7345 said:

> > > > > Do we really need so many threads about this topic? bug­ger me

> > > >

> > > > Yes, because more topics show that the community is *really* bothered by this, and not just a minor inconvenience

> > >

> > > It only shows that some people are either too lazy to find existing threads, or too self-important to consider that their post might not require a new thread. It doesn't show anything about the community at all.

> >

> > Did you say the same thing when all the "get rid of down vote" threads ran rampant that the mods had to merge them and close others?

>

> I might have if I had noticed such a thing. I don't spend much time on the forums so I'm hardly aware of everything that's going on here.

>

> Are you trying to insinuate I'm a hypocrite?

It's a simple question.

There was a thread regarding removing downvotes and the individuals that got the thread closed were thise reacting to being downvoted and then requested the thread be closed to silence their opposition. The only way to express yourself in an environment were such petty posters will do everything to bait you into harassing them so they can have your posts deleted and you infractrd was to downvote.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:`

> > > > > > This has nothing to do with politics, being an American or civil rights - and the fact you went off on a tangent like that is actually laughable.

> > > > >

> > > > > Apparently an appeal to emotions is only acceptable when you're talking about having your feelings hurt because someone downvotes you. That was literally half the arguments for removing downvotes and those that argued abusing the system never had a counter to the abuse of farming thumbs up and helpfuls for badges.

> > > >

> > > > If helping people increases because of "farming badges and thumbs up/helpful" then surely the system is working as intended? Some form of inspiration to become one with the community is a good thing, surely and not a bad thing?

> > > >

> > > > We have to remind ourselves that these are just numbers, but the intent behind them is permanent. If I tell someone how to fix a problem and I get a thumbs up, that TU means very little to me but my advice may have just helped them into the game rather than wait 4 days for a response. **But it signifies that I am being helpful and active.**

> > >

> > > So it is perfectly logical that "bad people" exploited the thumbs down feature to discredit people, make them feel bad and silence them with shame but it is not logical "bad people" will exploit the system to thumbs up each other and give out helpfuls in threads meant to bolster their forum badge count? I've been on other forums where badges where given for post counts so people made threads hundreds of pages long for it and discredit posters with lesser counts because of it.

> > >

> > > Even in game, players discredit by achievement points.

> >

> > As I said, if having a thumbs up / helpful reaction system inspires people to be more creative, precise and helpful within their postings, then why is that a bad thing? You can't turn something truly positive into a negative to suit your argument.

> >

> > Disliking was abused.

>

> So you don't even acknowlege that i presented an argument to you to dispute and repeated yourself? Yes, very constructive...

It's more constructive to repeat myself than argue with those who would defend a system that allows bullying and mass downvote for no reason.

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > And I'm not flinging my opinions around as facts, i just have conviction enough to defend my my opinions.

> If everyone was like that, we wouldn't need the lazily dismissive Thumbs Down option in the first place.

Well, I'd have saved myself some effort by utilizing the downvote rather than repeating myself because the same arguments are presented. But since Im in the field with extra time, and I'm getting constant notifications, queue SomebodysWrongOnTheIntrrnet.png

> @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:`

> > > > > > > This has nothing to do with politics, being an American or civil rights - and the fact you went off on a tangent like that is actually laughable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Apparently an appeal to emotions is only acceptable when you're talking about having your feelings hurt because someone downvotes you. That was literally half the arguments for removing downvotes and those that argued abusing the system never had a counter to the abuse of farming thumbs up and helpfuls for badges.

> > > > >

> > > > > If helping people increases because of "farming badges and thumbs up/helpful" then surely the system is working as intended? Some form of inspiration to become one with the community is a good thing, surely and not a bad thing?

> > > > >

> > > > > We have to remind ourselves that these are just numbers, but the intent behind them is permanent. If I tell someone how to fix a problem and I get a thumbs up, that TU means very little to me but my advice may have just helped them into the game rather than wait 4 days for a response. **But it signifies that I am being helpful and active.**

> > > >

> > > > So it is perfectly logical that "bad people" exploited the thumbs down feature to discredit people, make them feel bad and silence them with shame but it is not logical "bad people" will exploit the system to thumbs up each other and give out helpfuls in threads meant to bolster their forum badge count? I've been on other forums where badges where given for post counts so people made threads hundreds of pages long for it and discredit posters with lesser counts because of it.

> > > >

> > > > Even in game, players discredit by achievement points.

> > >

> > > As I said, if having a thumbs up / helpful reaction system inspires people to be more creative, precise and helpful within their postings, then why is that a bad thing? You can't turn something truly positive into a negative to suit your argument.

> > >

> > > Disliking was abused.

> >

> > So you don't even acknowlege that i presented an argument to you to dispute and repeated yourself? Yes, very constructive...

>

> It's more constructive to repeat myself than argue with those who would defend a system that allows bullying and mass downvote for no reason.

And this is why the downvote system was needed.

I gotta disagree with the title opinion.

The 'air' of having a 'thumbs down' option would be the opposite of the 'thumbs up' (ofcourse Cornish, get to the point).

So if the 'thumbs up' means ; positive, "I like this", i agree

presumably the 'thumbs down' means ; negative, "I dont like this," I disagree

Thing is, I can understand if someone gets a 'thumbs down' for being trolly, abusive, hurtful or damaging. the 'thumbs down' is supposted to be a negative reaction.

However, the 'thumbs down' is also the ability for people to abuse opinions that are different to others.

If i were to say "pink fluffy unicorns are the best" and people disagreed with that opinion. Instead of engaging in a conversation (like forums are supposed to do) my comment would be given the 'thumbs down.'

I'm not saying that I am a snowflake that would be offended by such actions, but it closes off the conversation, (and really, that statement wasnt a negative one, so why would it endorse a negative brand?) and just because my opinions are different does not make them 'wrong'.

now, the new forum has only been open for barely a week. Had we actually been informed whether excessive 'thumbs down' would endorse user moderation? If so, that could have opened a whole new world of abuse for admins, that are really unnessisary.

I dont see how much of a benefit there would be of a 'thumbs down' feature either way. Every post has a report feature anyway.

For that matter, why are they differentiated at all?

Or is the "Thumbs Up" button there for posts that, while not helpful, are nonetheless hilarious? Is it for troll posts that make you laugh?

Is the "Helpful" button intended to mean that while you may not agree with someone, you have to admit that their comment has some use?

If a post is helpful and you like it, which do you choose? Is "Thumbs Up" a lower rating than "Helpful"?

When I look at the responses to a post, which one should carry more weight?

"Well, 4 people thought I was helpful, but 2 people held up their thumbs." What should that mean to me?

And if you can't give "Thumbs Up" to a "Helpful" post, what is "Thumbs Up" supposed to mean? Any of the meanings I had given it (agreement, positive contribution, etc.) would not have been mutually exclusive with "Helpful," so I'm unclear on what kind of endorsement these buttons are supposed to signify.

> @RoyHarmon.5398 said:

> For that matter, why are they differentiated at all?

> Or is the "Thumbs Up" button there for posts that, while not helpful, are nonetheless hilarious? Is it for troll posts that make you laugh?

> Is the "Helpful" button intended to mean that while you may not agree with someone, you have to admit that their comment has some use?

> If a post is helpful and you like it, which do you choose? Is "Thumbs Up" a lower rating than "Helpful"?

> When I look at the responses to a post, which one should carry more weight?

> "Well, 4 people thought I was helpful, but 2 people held up their thumbs." What should that mean to me?

> And if you can't give "Thumbs Up" to a "Helpful" post, what is "Thumbs Up" supposed to mean? Any of the meanings I had given it (agreement, positive contribution, etc.) would not have been mutually exclusive with "Helpful," so I'm unclear on what kind of endorsement these buttons are supposed to signify.

I do believe you are thinking way too much into this.

I would say that 'Helpful' can encapsulate answers to questions, help guides and bug reports. Its vague, but if you over think every time you go to reply to a post, its going to be negated anyway by someone casually recating with a 'thumbs up' for the sake of it being there.

Its like Facebook posts. Does a 'Like' really mean much difference than a 'laughy face'? other than the fact that every person is interpreting their reaction in their own way, and that you have no control over their reactions.

While I will not talk about rights or something this is *exactly* the same problem I have with FB only having positive feedback buttons. They mean exactly nothing unless you can also give negative responses, ala youtube. Looks like I will do most of my posts on reddit, even though I also have a problem with thumbs up/down having any bearing on the visibility or whatever of a post, it should just be community feedback on an idea.

My favorite forum has a range of reactions, of which you can select 0 or more. The usual agree/disagree, but also things like yay, hug, aww, groan, and so on. It is a way to give snap feedback without having to use up an entire post to say that.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> The only way to express yourself in an environment were such petty posters will do everything to bait you into harassing them

> bait you into harassing them

Or you could, you know, not harass them.

This is a forum. If somebody gets you so angry that you get so angry that you need to harass them, what you do is leave your chair, get up, get outside, and take a breath of fresh air. It's a person on the internet. Just _let it go_.

Harassing people is never the right choice, and it is always _your_ choice.

> @Ashantara.8731 said:

> How many more threads on the same topic do we need? :#

>

> As I wrote before (twice):

>

> The thumbs down feature would have been a good idea if it weren't for all the trolls who abused it. See, when there is an opinion posted, you have the right to disagree, of course. But often, it was used on posts that did not represent an opinion whatsoever, that were 100% neutral and contained mere information (no more, no less), only to troll the poster (and since it was made anonymous it was even easier to troll someone).

>

> You still can disagree on something the old-fashioned way, by simply posting your counter-opinion, and I am certain many people who agree with you will respond with a thumbs up. :) It has the same effect, but is trollproofed. ;)

Thumbs down. What is the point of having to add a post to the thread when you are just saying you disagree? Thumbs up/down here does not mean anything anyway, it is just feedback. There is also the problem that you lose your place in the thread if you (like I just did) forgot to open up a new tab .... there is no linkback, which we had on the old forums.

Thumbs are fine, they're simply meant to show how many people like/agree or dislike/disagree with something and nothing more. The results however should be delayed by up to a week to prevent swaying and neither should be shown under your profile. The problem however is people's mindset behind them, which makes people even more hesitant to share their unpopular opinions. Take the HoT complaint threads for example, which always had the same few people shooting down every complaint. I once analyzed one of the larger threads (> 100 posts) and a few people made up the majority of the posts, whereas almost everyone else posted once and hadn't posted again for over 6 months. In cases like that, I would have liked to see the numbers. I'd say dislikes should not be anonymous, but that's the same problem of people fearing to share their opinion. At the very least, this data shouldn't be lost and people should be allowed to like/dislike it without making the numbers public.

> @Kravick.4906 said:

> I am glad it is gone. The down vote button didn't really serve a purpose other than turning this board into a popularity contest. We're here to discuss topics, not have popularity contests. If all you ever hear is things you like and want to hear, you never get exposed to new ideas, and you'll never grow as a person. You don't have to like everything you see. If you don't like something, simply ignore it and don't respond. Its very simple.

Thumbs down. Removing it forces a response where before we could do one click and get on with our lives.

> @Zefiris.8297 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > I'm in agreement.

> >

> > As an American (and i do realize not everyone on these forums is American but the devs are stationed here) it feels like an infringement of my civil right

>

> As a non-american, I continue to be amused by the complete failure of many self-proclaimed Americans to understand what "civil rights" actually means.

> This is not a free speech issue. In fact, if you actually read your constitution that you whine about, you'd understand that private companies have every right to completely remove any kind of speech they dislike in any way they wish to.

>

> You kids wouldn't have lasted long in forums or usenet, that's for sure.

>

> >But considering the government (in this case, the forum mods) do have the power to completely silence you full stop without a lefitimate reason (legitimacy cannot be argued or judged under a fair pretense in this example either), it is indeed a prevention of expression.

>

> Forum mods are. Not. The. Government.

> Companies. Have. Every. Right. To. ~Silence~. You. (Which they aren't even doing, as your posts continue to be around)-

>

> My god, did they not teach you your own laws at school? This is really, really silly. When I was in school, I apparently learned more about your legal system than you did! How can this even be?

So in other words... companies should have more power than the government that hosts then?

Also as someone who personally was downvoted a LOT, even I still say bring back downvote.

Also also, thumbs down or not, the mods STILL WILL CENSURE YOU if what you say is unpleasant to some ears. Like that time they backpedaled on Privateer set.

I think I may leave forums voluntarily.

Too many sycophants, fragile egos, and mutual appreciation societies ( the "pc" way of saying circle-jerk)

Inb4 this post is removed.

Remember mods I have not attacked anyone or made evil opinion. Did not threaten or make feel unsafe... matter of fact statements here.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @Waldo.8075 said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @Waldo.8075 said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > @Waldo.8075 said:

> > > > > > And so what if my post gets thumbed down? A thumb-down doesn't do much other than being there. It's not constructive and doesn't add anything at all because there could be a million reasons as to why it got thumbed down, but none of it would be mentioned so therefore it means less that nothing.

> > > > >

> > > > > It would mean i would have had one reply less to write and one less for you to read. Because it's apparently better that you misrepresent the opposing argument and me to write that you are and then you to write that you're not and we go in an infinite circle than it is to just click a button and move on. You're not willing to listen to the opposition nor counter provided arguments nor present new ones so where should the discussion go? Obviously 20+ more pages and a boat load of wasted time...

> > > >

> > > > Now here's a thing.

> > > > And right now I'm going to point at that "you're not willing to listen."

> > > > As long as you do not listen to people, people won't listen to you.

> > > > Do you see where I'm getting at?

> > > >

> > > > Now, look at how many people disagree with you, compared to the amount of people who disagree with me.

> > > >

> > > > And it'd be nice to know if there are people out there who disagree with me other than this single individual. Someone who can give me a valid counter argument.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You won't know how many people disagree with me because that option was removed. You may have some people who would thumb down my semi-ironic post that i admitted to being an emotionally charged appeal (you obviously missed that) but not my actual message unless people deliberately poll for it.

> > >

> > > What's hilarious is you've taken the moral high horse stance of "who agrees with you vs who agrees with me" which *doesn't even matter* because you don't approve of the popularity contest of the downvote system anyway unless of cousw it feeds your argument i suppose.

> > >

> > > And i do hope someone besides me gives you a counter argument. Apparently, you'd just ignore mine giving yourself the false assumption that only certain people don't agree with you.

> >

> > Oh I would know the amount of people disagreeing if I read the actual posts and not rely on a feature everyone can abuse without consequences, which I do and I can only count a half because if I read your posts (and you seem the only one to disagree).

> >

> > I'm simply basing my opinions on what I read and view it from a neutral point.

> >

> > The reason why I brought up the, what you call, 'moral high horse stance' is because you flung around your opinions and treat them like facts, as if a whole community stands behind you and thinks the same.

> >

> > Another reason as to why it's better to write something constructive instead of clicking a simple button.

>

> The thing is, you only think you know how many agree or disagree with you because not everyone has had a chance to express their opinion. Even when they do, not everyone has time to reply and/or quote every post they disagree with. Again, silence is not an admission of disagreement or agreement.

>

> And frankly, your word usage (talking about the use of 'abusive') can tell me a lot of where you're arguing from. Being down voted is not abuse nor is using the feature how you see fit. It's *exploitive* to game the system like you describe but not abusive. Look up the terms and you will understand. But guess what else can be exploited? Upvotes and helpfuls.

>

> Now counter that argument without deviating the topic.

>

> And I'm not flinging my opinions around as facts, i just have conviction enough to defend my my opinions.

Yes, I agree with the fact that I've used the wrong word here.

And as you wish for me to give a counter argument:

Is there such a thing as helpfuls/upvotes being exploited? I'd like to ask you why it could be seen as exploitable. Sure, it could get someone some kind of badge, well congrats to them I suppose?

If the post was actually helpful, then that's positive right?

If the post is something to agree with, or amusing in a positive way, good on them right?

Sure, someone could post "my armpits are on fire" and ask people to massively upvote it (although they should ask for help instead, really) but the result is still outweighed by what would happen if something helpful or any other post would be massively downvoted, be it by exploiting the feature, or simply a lot of people not agreeing with it. However, the latter would be either because the aforementioned exploiting or the poster should simply reconsider their post.

If the poster had good intentions, yet gets massively downvoted and no argument was given, it'd be very unpleasant for the poster because not only did they get to see the number of downvotes, they don't know what exactly was wrong about their post. The whole post? One sentence? An incorrect word? Not really helpful, is it?

And even if people disagree with a post, that disagreement would be much more effective if it was backed-up by a constructive counter argument. With that, there's even a chance the poster could agree with you.

And if you don't have the time to write your argument, then what are you doing on the Forums?

> @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > If we act smart for just a microsecond, it is easy to predict why downvote was removed - it was used mostly to disagree with people or push down ~~bad~~ ideas. I have done nothing but help people on this forum and some people literally voted my posts negatively because of that - I had something like 20 downvotes on me advising people that ArcDps was safe to use.

>

> I got thumbs down for posting... statistics. I think making thumb down anonymous is what led to this down issue, as posters started using the system as a way to down vote all posts of someone just because they disagreed with them in one thread. At least by seeing who used the thumb down there was a way to rule out trolls.

Interesting. Not liking anonymous votes was something I mentioned before but had not connected them. The multi-feedback forum I mentioned before that I love also lists who voted in what way. You quickly learn to ignore the votes of known trolls and are occasionally surprised at the reactions of people you know (causing a rethink of your position or at least how it was read).

> @DakotaCoty.5721 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @DakotaCoty.5721 said:`

> > > This has nothing to do with politics, being an American or civil rights - and the fact you went off on a tangent like that is actually laughable.

> >

> > Apparently an appeal to emotions is only acceptable when you're talking about having your feelings hurt because someone downvotes you. That was literally half the arguments for removing downvotes and those that argued abusing the system never had a counter to the abuse of farming thumbs up and helpfuls for badges.

>

> If helping people increases because of "farming badges and thumbs up/helpful" then surely the system is working as intended? Some form of inspiration to become one with the community is a good thing, surely and not a bad thing?

>

> We have to remind ourselves that these are just numbers, but the intent behind them is permanent. If I tell someone how to fix a problem and I get a thumbs up, that TU means very little to me but my advice may have just helped them into the game rather than wait 4 days for a response. **But it signifies that I am being helpful and active.**

To use an example mentioned earlier, say someone posts something hurtful. They will only get agreement from the few people that agree with them (all anonymous) but it will not be reflected that a massive number of people do not agree. So now they think they were right? Why would we want to encourage that?

Yes, people can post replies but we lie to ourselves, especially when stats are involved. If you get a massive number of negative replies but some thumbs up your ego will look at the thumbs up reactions.

> > @Henry.5713 said:

> > People always assume a downvoting system would be used in a civilized manner only, as in nobody would ever use it to downvote a well-reasoned opinion they happen to disagree with. I find that a little strange. There is no surer way to get a simple "Yes or No" out of people than to implement such a system, as they are not required to take their time to write down a reply. Of course here are those few who are going to dislike anything you post because they dislike you. So what, that is how life is. Wish people stopped being so offended about everything nowadays. This is yet another form of censorship that has become so common in social media. Next step will to allow members to block others from even posting anything in their threads to keep out anyone who disagrees with them. And all of that just because they can not deal with a tiny symbol that shows the honest opinions of others.

>

> This isn't censorship. You can write a 10 page pamphlet about why you dislike someone's post or disagree with it. No one is stopping you. You're just being stopped from being lazy.

You can say the exact same thing about thumbs up. If all reaction buttons had been removed they at least would have been consistent in a forum philosophy. No pun intended, but they are putting their thumbs on the scale by removing one option and not the other.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > @Henry.5713 said:

> > > People always assume a downvoting system would be used in a civilized manner only, as in nobody would ever use it to downvote a well-reasoned opinion they happen to disagree with. I find that a little strange. There is no surer way to get a simple "Yes or No" out of people than to implement such a system, as they are not required to take their time to write down a reply. Of course here are those few who are going to dislike anything you post because they dislike you. So what, that is how life is. Wish people stopped being so offended about everything nowadays. This is yet another form of censorship that has become so common in social media. Next step will to allow members to block others from even posting anything in their threads to keep out anyone who disagrees with them. And all of that just because they can not deal with a tiny symbol that shows the honest opinions of others.

> >

> > This isn't censorship. You can write a 10 page pamphlet about why you dislike someone's post or disagree with it. No one is stopping you. You're just being stopped from being lazy.

>

> You can say the exact same thing about thumbs up. If all reaction buttons had been removed they at least would have been consistent in a forum philosophy. No pun intended, but they are putting their thumbs on the scale by removing one option and not the other.

Not really.

One feature being ultimately positive and one being ultimately negative UNLESS used constructively (which it wasn't).

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > Right now, we cant mark comments as "bad idea", people will call out weird and bad ideas in topics and we can't downvote them. It was a good idea to change to votes to anonymous, but dont remove it,

> > Y'know, lets throw a poll, i dare to make a wager that more than 66% will want the downvote option back

>

> Downvoting stifles discussion. Post why you think something is a bad idea, and people can upvote that if they agree with your point. But more importantly, the poster of what you think is a bad idea can offer counterarguments or elaborate on why he thinks his idea is a good idea. There's no reasoning with downward pointing thumbs.

How? This is not like reddit where downvoting hides the post. Whether it gets a lot of thumbs up or thumbs down is simply feedback done in a more efficient nature than a reply.