What will happen to gw2 when it dies?

Wulf.5431

When it dies, GW2 will head to either the La Brea tar pits or the elephant graveyard, there to be entombed for posterity. Its bits, nybbles, bytes, words, and doubles will become fossilized and someday in the far future archaeologists will discover the remains and marvel at what they see. Volunteers from universities will chip away at the stones and brush away the residue to reveal tiny pieces of code and experts will ask, "Why'd they leave in all the bugs?"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> When it dies, GW2 will head to either the La Brea tar pits or the elephant graveyard, there to be entombed for posterity. It's bits, nybbles, bytes, words, and doubles will become fossilized and someday in the far future archaeologists will discover the remains and marvel at what they see. Volunteers from universities will chip away at the stones and brush away the residue to reveal tiny pieces of code and experts will ask, "Why'd they leave in all the bugs?"

Those aren't "bugs" those are "features". ;)

I have a lot of different games I play, I even still play GW1 on occasion. I think GW2 will be around just like GW1 until GW3 comes along. Like other folks have stated find something new and give it a try. I jump in to Elder Scrolls online when I want that old MMO experience.

By the time it happens, copyright laws will have changed to have special exceptions for online games. Letting players set private servers for it once the company will no longer support it.

Thus the game will go on in the hands of players.

Further in the future, they will develop a system to scan people's minds back in the past, and recreate them all in a virtual world. Kind of a digital heaven. In that digital world, GW2 will still continue in the hands of the digital minds.

Much further in the future, near the end of the universe, we'd have discovered that this is not the only universe, but this is like a bubble among many bubbles, and we'd discover a way to slip to a younger bubble before this one collapses into nothingness, and bring GW2 with us.

And thus GW2 will never end.

> @"Wulf.5431" said:

> I'm in a bit of a funk with gw2 right now, and have been for a while. The nature of mmo's is starting to bother me. I love this game so much, but the fact that I have no control over when it dies and what happens after really bums me out. Every time I go to spend money on the store I stop, because in a few years, who knows where gw2 will be. I know it's doing well now, but other iterations of the game may come out, or the company gets bought out, etc. Why it happens, or even when, isn't very important. What bugs me is the uncertainty, and god knows there's enough of that in life as it is. I love that I have other old games that I can boot up and play 20 years later, and I'll be able to in another 20 years.

>

> I know gw2 is popular right now, and will in all likelihood stay active for years to come. My question is what will happen when its time is up? Will it be lost forever? Or will it be possible to have some offline/local play version of it or something? Private servers are possible but I don't want to be at the mercy of a random persons world either. I'm not looking for a dev to respond, as I'm sure they have better things to do. I suppose I'm looking for assurances, to help me feel better about playing the game. I know I'm gonna die someday, but I don't want my favorite avatar to die as well.

I've asked this often for a different game. Mabinogi.

and i've asked the Devs to have a plan for the future, where they make an offline version of Mabinogi they can sell for $60 or so when they take the online servers down. (and i'd buy it).

They said they'd keep it in mind.

for GW2, i'd hope they have a similar plan. maybe a borderland style co-op. while some stuff like wvw would no doubt be dead.... but tis better to have an offline version for the story, than nothing.

heck when that day comes, they could put it up for sale and i'd buy it xD despite already owning the game and all its expansions

> @"Wulf.5431" said:

> > @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > You can keep going, as often as you want. ....for as long as it's around.

> > Does the fact that it will leave, stop you from experiencing the rides?

>

> I get where you're coming from with your analogies, but the thing is is that gw2 is a game, traditionally something you pay to own. A material thing that is yours, not an experience you have once and it's over. It's something you own until you don't, only you don't know when that end will be. Besides, though I think your analogy is a little silly, I could for sure look forward to going on that ride again when it next comes into town, or follow it to the next town, etc.

>

You don't own GW2 though. NCsoft/Anet does. When you buy GW2, you buy a pass to stay in the "park" for as long as you like, or as long as they allow (ex. You can get kicked out/banned for doing things they prohibit) so long as it stays in business and doesn't shut down.

They create the game, they shape its future. You (or we, the players) stick along for the ride, for as long as it lasts.

I wouldn't worry about it, myself. All things are temporary, including single player games. Disks can be scratched/broken/otherwise worn down, services such as Steam can shut down, software can be deleted or lost otherwise.

Just enjoy it while it lasts, and know that your fears are misplaced in the short-term, as GW2 will likely last for years and years to come.