PVP: Where Did All The Good People Go?

Microsoft Xp.9438

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > >

> > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > >

> > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> >

> > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

>

> Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

He's not trolling. Top stats don't mean you're 'teh best evar'. You can quite easily play a thief, run around decapping and +1 ing all day carrying your team and you're usually lucky to get offense and/or kills top stats. But a lot of the time even though you were the pivot that carried the team, you get no top stats.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > >

> > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > >

> > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> >

> > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

>

> Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

He's not trolling lol... The fact that you think otherwise is probably why you aren't at the higher end of the PvP spectrum.

For example, I can run a bunker ranger and receive every single top stat if I just defended a point against someone else the entire game. Doing so, however, doesn't mean that I helped my team in any way, shape, or form, to win. The top stats mean literally _nothing_ in the grand scheme of things.

> @"narcx.3570" said:

> IMO PvP rewards should just be things like unique skins, mini's, titles, MOUNT SKINS, and things like that... I mean, bad people will still come in to farm them if they're cool enough, but it at least won't be seen as a way for people to obtain things that they're not good enough to get in PvE, since you get them win or lose, trying or afk'ing, via PvP/WvW.

Except there are legit players who do not want to only play PVE in order to get gear and money. Reward tracks and ascended shards were a massive boost to sPvP and made it playable to a much wider audience. The esports try hards left quite a while ago as conquest will never be considered a legitimate competitive format.

In a ladder format its impossible for everyone to be at the top which is why people rage in every single rated PVP game ever made. In team games its always muh team! even though the same thing happens to your opponents when you win.

> @"narcx.3570" said:

> I don't think the rewards are necessarily too high compared to time invested... But I do think that adding ascended (and ESPECIALLY legendary) gear to the PvP venders is somewhat of a mistake. First off, you don't even use gear in sPvP, so it's a little out of place... And while I guess being able to farm out ascended gear is a good motivating factor to get people to keep queueing, the Legendary Armor has brought in a whole slew of new terrible people and bots who don't even have the desire to get better. They see it as a way to get their Legendary Armor without having to get good enough to raid, and if they can't be bothered to get good enough to raid, they CERTAINLY won't be able to get good enough to be competitive in PvP.

>

> IMO PvP rewards should just be things like unique skins, mini's, titles, MOUNT SKINS, and things like that... I mean, bad people will still come in to farm them if they're cool enough, but it at least won't be seen as a way for people to obtain things that they're not good enough to get in PvE, since you get them win or lose, trying or afk'ing, via PvP/WvW.

Ok, but titles, mount/eq skins isnt enough. Its 2018 man. Every serious PvP game rewards with real money these days.

First title or skins are pretty fun to gain but when time passes it became useless. Same as lege armor for PvP'rs.

And it does not motivate PvPrs to play for longer period of time. Its ok just for beginners (and thats why many old PvPrs are leaving)

PvPrs want to compete. And they must see thats worth todo it. Became better and better and invest your time.

Real money. Tournaments. Championschips. E-sport. Hype <---- this is the solution

> @"Xar.1387" said:

> > @"narcx.3570" said:

> > I don't think the rewards are necessarily too high compared to time invested... But I do think that adding ascended (and ESPECIALLY legendary) gear to the PvP venders is somewhat of a mistake. First off, you don't even use gear in sPvP, so it's a little out of place... And while I guess being able to farm out ascended gear is a good motivating factor to get people to keep queueing, the Legendary Armor has brought in a whole slew of new terrible people and bots who don't even have the desire to get better. They see it as a way to get their Legendary Armor without having to get good enough to raid, and if they can't be bothered to get good enough to raid, they CERTAINLY won't be able to get good enough to be competitive in PvP.

> >

> > IMO PvP rewards should just be things like unique skins, mini's, titles, MOUNT SKINS, and things like that... I mean, bad people will still come in to farm them if they're cool enough, but it at least won't be seen as a way for people to obtain things that they're not good enough to get in PvE, since you get them win or lose, trying or afk'ing, via PvP/WvW.

>

> Ok, but titles, mount/eq skins isnt enough. Its 2018 man. Every serious PvP game rewards with real money these days.

> First title or skins are pretty fun to gain but when time passes it became useless. Same as lege armor for PvP'rs.

> And it does not motivate PvPrs to play for longer period of time. Its ok just for beginners (and thats why many old PvPrs are leaving)

>

> PvPrs want to compete. And they must see thats worth todo it. Became better and better and invest your time.

>

> Real money. Tournaments. Championschips. E-sport. Hype <---- this is the solution

>

you cant force something uncompetitive to be competitive. #1 issue from the start of gw2 and still now is the lack of a competitive game mode. Sorry circle dancing conq is not a skill based game mode. Roll 2 good sb thiefs and win if the other team has no mobility.

There are beyond a lot of issues that the devs refuse to address even yet so i don't see esports in gw2. May need to wait for gw3 at this pace.

> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > > >

> > > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> > >

> > > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

> >

> > Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

>

> He's not trolling lol... The fact that you think otherwise is probably why you aren't at the higher end of the PvP spectrum.

>

> For example, I can run a bunker ranger and receive every single top stat if I just defended a point against someone else the entire game. Doing so, however, doesn't mean that I helped my team in any way, shape, or form, to win. The top stats mean literally _nothing_ in the grand scheme of things.

It's funny to see tons of assumptions without looking into my original post. Please read before reply...

> @"Whitworth.7259" said:

> > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > > >

> > > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> > >

> > > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

> >

> > Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

>

> He's not trolling. Top stats don't mean you're 'teh best evar'. You can quite easily play a thief, run around decapping and +1 ing all day carrying your team and you're usually lucky to get offense and/or kills top stats. But a lot of the time even though you were the pivot that carried the team, you get no top stats.

Again, another assumption.

First I'm talking about I suspect this is the way anet calculating a hidden score, not saying top stat = good.

Second, ppls who knows what to do and skilled tend to get more top stat, just like your example. A good thief is very likely to get offense and kill top stat.

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > @"Whitworth.7259" said:

> > > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> > > >

> > > > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

> > >

> > > Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

> >

> > He's not trolling. Top stats don't mean you're 'teh best evar'. You can quite easily play a thief, run around decapping and +1 ing all day carrying your team and you're usually lucky to get offense and/or kills top stats. But a lot of the time even though you were the pivot that carried the team, you get no top stats.

>

> Again, another assumption.

> First I'm talking about I suspect this is the way anet calculating a hidden score, not saying top stat = good.

> Second, ppls who knows what to do and skilled tend to get more top stat, just like your example. A good thief is very likely to get offense and kill top stat.

Very likely? Scourge also has a very likely chance at top kills.

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > @"Whitworth.7259" said:

> > > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > > > > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > > > > > I feel exactly the same. And I think the current system is punishing good players. The matchup algorithm should be something like to calculate the average ability of a team.

> > > > > > > So for example, you get constantly top stats then you have higher hidden scores, each time the macthup will calculate the two teams based on this score. So it means the better you are, more chances you will be put in a below average team. I cannot say I have proof of this, but the win rate on my 3 toons told me this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Top stats aren't an indicator of good play. Actually, thinking that they are demonstrates poor play.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you know what those indicators mean? I'm so tired of ppls do not know what they are talking about.

> > > >

> > > > If you and the opposing team member fight on far all day long on a neutral point the whole game and you get top offense/defense how is that considered good play

> > >

> > > Top stats mean fight on far? Again, so many trolls, you are a typical one for those bad players

> >

> > He's not trolling. Top stats don't mean you're 'teh best evar'. You can quite easily play a thief, run around decapping and +1 ing all day carrying your team and you're usually lucky to get offense and/or kills top stats. But a lot of the time even though you were the pivot that carried the team, you get no top stats.

>

> Again, another assumption.

> First I'm talking about I suspect this is the way anet calculating a hidden score, not saying top stat = good.

> Second, ppls who knows what to do and skilled tend to get more top stat, just like your example. A good thief is very likely to get offense and kill top stat.

lol

You keep saying how "I suspect it works like this." You are the one assuming things.

I have a consistent 70-80% win rate at plat 3/legend. I get the occasional one or two top stats but I can fairly easily carry any matchups where the teams are below plat 2. However, they are no way an indicator of how well you did. Like people said, you can literally just make a low damage regen build and farm top stats by fighting someone on a point for 15 min.

Good thieves sometimes barely make it over 140k damage. Also, do you even know how those stats work? A lot of good thieves I know end games with 0 top stats because other people on their team also know what they are doing.

Top stats mean nothing, period. Everyone except noobs know this.

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

he meant fighting for home...lol

> @"shagwell.1349" said:

> After seeing that tweet from Edgelord Helseth that he uninstalled and quit GW2 for the 657th time I'm pretty sure he means it this time. I don't expect him back before March 2018.

And then he has a crisis where he comes back to GW2, rants about the game on stream, and climbs again.

Same vicious cycle.

> @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> > @"shagwell.1349" said:

> > After seeing that tweet from Edgelord Helseth that he uninstalled and quit GW2 for the 657th time I'm pretty sure he means it this time. I don't expect him back before March 2018.

>

> And then he has a crisis where he comes back to GW2, rants about the game on stream, and climbs again.

>

> Same vicious cycle.

Sounds like addiction!

> @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> > @"shagwell.1349" said:

> > After seeing that tweet from Edgelord Helseth that he uninstalled and quit GW2 for the 657th time I'm pretty sure he means it this time. I don't expect him back before March 2018.

>

> And then he has a crisis where he comes back to GW2, rants about the game on stream, and climbs again.

>

> Same vicious cycle.

he needs to organize gvg in gw1 (sooem event like gw2 pvp go gw1):o i think he would be a very good mesmer tho, still mesmer on gw1 is mostly a shutdowner and interrupter with no stealth nor burst damage like gw2 has, nor even portals(he would not mess up the portal to its own base cof... cof... )

Theres no point on taking gw2 pvp serious anyway.. we should be all still playing gw1 pvp >_>

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> > > @"shagwell.1349" said:

> > > After seeing that tweet from Edgelord Helseth that he uninstalled and quit GW2 for the 657th time I'm pretty sure he means it this time. I don't expect him back before March 2018.

> >

> > And then he has a crisis where he comes back to GW2, rants about the game on stream, and climbs again.

> >

> > Same vicious cycle.

>

> he needs to organize gvg in gw1 :o i think he would be a very good mesmer tho, still mesmer on gw1 is mostly a shutdowner and interrupter with no stealth nor burst damage like gw2 has, nor even portals(he would not mess up the portal to its own base cof... cof... )

>

> Theres no point on taking gw2 pvp serious anyway.. we should be all still playing gw1 pvp >_>

GW2 had potential. A lot of it. I still feel good when I practice and duel with playing something like ele. But watching people picking up clearly buffed classes and watching others fall, it just smacks the pride and work right out of me.

They have such good designs of the classes on paper, but the performance is just so piss poor. It actually makes me sad, that not even Gw2 has this conundrum, but a lot of GOOD mmos as well. They follow the formula of starting out good (funny enough this game was casual when it started), but as soon as the mmos updates to make it 'harder', 'hardcore', or 'competitive' the developers just seem to do a complete 180. And I can never understand why or how developers could mess up good MMOs that start out AMAZING.

> @"Demon.6743" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Dunning–Kruger, thy name is Demon

• 1 month later...

It's not rewarding to be good. The practice doesn't pay off because as you get better the teammates you get placed with get worse to 'balance' it out. The good people left so that they wouldn't have to continue being dragged down and probably moved on to something that takes its competitive mode seriously.

Why play the ranked cesspool when you can enjoy unranked?

Ranked has so many issues that the Devs won't fix, there's no point bashing your head against a wall trying to make it work either.

To name a few:

- Hackers

- No functionality of the reporting feature

- Bad matchmaking, Platinums shouldn't be carrying bronzes against a team of Golds, there should be division hard caps on our games, only fight people within our division so that rank matters, so you actually climb for beating people in your league and not losing rank to people 3 leagues above you.

That last point is the biggest issue.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> Why play the ranked cesspool when you can enjoy unranked?

>

> Ranked has so many issues that the Devs won't fix, there's no point bashing your head against a wall trying to make it work either.

> To name a few:

> - Hackers

> - No functionality of the reporting feature

> - Bad matchmaking, Platinums shouldn't be carrying bronzes against a team of Golds, there should be division hard caps on our games, only fight people within our division so that rank matters, so you actually climb for beating people in your league and not losing rank to people 3 leagues above you.

>

> That last point is the biggest issue.

Yeah. Fighting a team of 3+ premades alone with randoms is so much fun...

> @"Microsoft Xp.9438" said:

> Let me first just say that I have been an avid fan of guild wars for going on 11 years now... I have watched both games grow Guild Wars 1 & 2. I have been actively playing in the pvp world of guild wars for about 6 of those years on and off.. I've played early Tomb of the primeval king and went to halls with the old necro spikes and IWAY groups. To watch it grow into Heroes Ascent and play a lot more balanced builds there. I've played GVG; even got to get destroyed against teams like The Last Pride and Esoteric Warriors. I played random arenas team arenas. Even hero battles one of my most favorite PVP games from gw1.

>

> I played that game at its prime for many years and watched it slowly fade with the everyone anticipating and waiting for gw2 and yes we did wait for a very very long time after the initial hype... It did take me a bit to buy gw2 I think I waited a year after its initial release to purchase the game. I played it non stop for about a year got my ranger to 80 beat all the quests got my legendary did some other fun stuff and jumped into PVP. I must say when I first went into PVP I was a little sad to only see 5v5 coming from former 8v8, 4v4, (1v1's with heroes). Thinking back to GW1 that was one of the most fun and memorable experiences of the game sitting in a ventrillo or Teamspeak Server with all your friends talking smack and telling jokes all the while always playing seriously and ready to win! I soon found a group of about 7-8 people that I really enjoyed PVP with in GW2 we would all rotate and take turns and we had a blast doing it.

>

> Fortunately for myself I was able to climb the leaderboards all the way to the top 10 and remained there until the end of the test season. Eventually I took a break from the game where I hadn't played for about 1-2 years. I returned only to jump straight back into PVP. At first let me say I was a little blown back with all the new changes. I was excited I said ooh more loot that's cool... oh and they do seasons now that's pretty cool too and tournaments all this stuff! I started playing again playing all these matches felt like every team I joined I was on the winning team win after win after win I think i got like a solid 15-20 wins with no losses. Was having a great time getting all of these wins everyone was talking having a good time in chat. Than one day I log on go to play my normal routine and bam.... all the sudden its like im in a losing streak now I think at one point I lost like 10 games in a row...

>

> Coming from someone who has competitively played gw1 and gw2 and tried to climb GVG, HB, and PVP Leaderboards this was bit disappointing for me. I kept playing I thought maybe it was my build!?! So I switched it up I tried everything..... Class after class I started to realize it didn't matter what I was playing it was who I was playing with.... The amount of toxic I'm better than you are attitudes in PVP is just so absurdly wrong its not even fun to play it anymore. Don't get me wrong its PVP aren't we supposed to have those attitudes? The problem is that we have these toxic people on our own teams that will purposely and don't care if they ruin it for other people.

>

> I just don't even know what to say for PVP anymore I don't see myself on this game much longer as I've seen just about everything I love in gw1 and gw2 slowly diminish and plunder. As for advice on how to bring pvp back? I don't think I have any one right answer to solve this dilemma.

>

> **The few problems I currently see:**

> The rewards are way to much we have a lot of people in here just for the rewards and they don't care if they win or they lose. (I was able to make about 200g in not long of playing pvp again.)

>

> The matchmaking is not balanced... No matter what you say about rating having one bad person on the team can make you lose that match... I myself even though I'm currently in the Gold Tier find myself in bronze matches half of the time...

>

> Why on earth did we take teams out of PVP games are not fun when you play them by yourself its much more fun to have a group to yell and rage at and make sure we're not making the same mistakes time after time.. I know I know I can play tournaments tho? and wait for special intervals to play that? nah i have a job I have a life When I have free time I wanna play...

>

> Honestly at the current state I feel like I'm playing with people who are botting.. I have guys on my team who know there are 4 opposing players on that point and they will still run into it by themselves... I dk why they think 1v4 is ever an intelligent move. They still run in though... They Try to do something?

>

> Lastly the amount of rage. I feel like the general consensus is that no one is happy with the current state. At the start of the game the 4 rushing mid we lose the mid fight one splits off to go take far and I have someone saying in my team chat GG why are u going far we lose now. 9/10 times it starts a fight resulting in 1 person afking for the rest of the game.... (LOL I wish I was kidding...)

>

> I really hope this opens up more discussions and maybe more suggestions on how to fix PVP and bring the competitive feel back to it.

>

> Thank you for reading,

> Microsoft Xp

So let me get this straight, you were enjoying the game until you lost a couple of matches in a row and now you are disappointed?

Before you blame other players, evaluate YOUR own gameplay. You state that you "tried everything". By this what do you mean? Have you tried every single meta class, looked up helpful videos, searched up advice and tips on forums, asked skilled players for advice or learned from them by watching their gameplay or fighting them, etc, etc. When you have done this for a reasonable amount of time (hundreds of hours) then you can say that you have tried hard enough to improve your gameplay. I would suggest collecting a greater sample size of games and then reviewing your opinion about it. If you cannot do this then I don't think anyone will take your opinion seriously. To get consistent results you MUST work hard for it.

It is far too easy to place the blame on other players. FOCUS on yourself first. Practice, learn and IMPROVE. Do not give up so easily. I'm sure you have heard this time and time again, but I cannot stress it enough.

Let me address the problems you listed.

You claim that some players play for rewards and therefore don't care about the outcome of the match. This is rarely the case in ranked at platinum level. To avoid this problem, improve your gameplay as I said before and you should be able to climb to a stage where players take the game seriously.

You state that matchmaking is not balanced. There could be a number of reasons as to why you think this is the case. I will refer you to a post uploaded by a dev that addresses your concern: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/19539/pvp-discussion-matchmaking-and-leagues/p1

Of course the quality of matchmaking depends on the population, so it might be best to wait for peak time before queuing.

Teams can still participate in PVP. For that we have both unranked and auto tournaments. Playing solo is not fun? There are plenty of players who disagree.

Having problems with team mates? Again, better yourself at the game so you can improve your chances of winning.

To me, this ENTIRE post is a "learn to play" issue. Nothing more.