GS shatter-burst a little too strong?

NaXorb.9732

> @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > @"Solori.6025" said:

> > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > @"JayAction.9056" said:

> > > > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > > > @"JayAction.9056" said:

> > > > > > Needs to be nerfed quite a bit. I've been saying this since season 3. 2016???? We're in 2018 now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Finally just now starting to see people use it besides like 2 mesmers in legend.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Anybody who says it's not op is not good at the game. There are very few classes that will not get one shot or have the ability to recover.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Looks like you've been wrong since 2016 then. The amount of setup required to pull off the combo flawlessly is substantial, and it's not that difficult to dodge it.

> > > >

> > > > Why not just say you suck at Mesmer bro? That's a better way to get your point across than these word games.

> > > >

> > > > You can burst from stealth, lmfao. So youre saying it's easy to dodge attacks that can't be seen that will take away 100% of the HP of a heavy armor class? Lmfao

> > > >

> > > > You think mirage balanced too I bet...

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Things you can see; the giant pink greatsword spinning slow AF at you through the air, The clones running right at you, the mesmer as soon as the sword hits you provided you didn't dodge it.

> >

> > Oh no you cant see it remember? You will always be in melee range and have perma stealth for the visual to not show up. /s

>

> My bad, I totally forgot Prismatic Understanding was still double duration and Blink always teleports us next to our target from any range.

PU on a Power Shatter build? Now that's cute. :3

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Refia Montes.3205" said:

> > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > @"Solori.6025" said:

> > > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > > @"JayAction.9056" said:

> > > > > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > > > > @"JayAction.9056" said:

> > > > > > > Needs to be nerfed quite a bit. I've been saying this since season 3. 2016???? We're in 2018 now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Finally just now starting to see people use it besides like 2 mesmers in legend.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Anybody who says it's not op is not good at the game. There are very few classes that will not get one shot or have the ability to recover.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Looks like you've been wrong since 2016 then. The amount of setup required to pull off the combo flawlessly is substantial, and it's not that difficult to dodge it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why not just say you suck at Mesmer bro? That's a better way to get your point across than these word games.

> > > > >

> > > > > You can burst from stealth, lmfao. So youre saying it's easy to dodge attacks that can't be seen that will take away 100% of the HP of a heavy armor class? Lmfao

> > > > >

> > > > > You think mirage balanced too I bet...

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Things you can see; the giant pink greatsword spinning slow AF at you through the air, The clones running right at you, the mesmer as soon as the sword hits you provided you didn't dodge it.

> > >

> > > Oh no you cant see it remember? You will always be in melee range and have perma stealth for the visual to not show up. /s

> >

> > My bad, I totally forgot Prismatic Understanding was still double duration and Blink always teleports us next to our target from any range.

>

> PU on a Power Shatter build? Now that's cute. :3

Well we _alllwayyyss_ have stealth so clearly we must be running PU.

> @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

The panic will be

_**LEGENDARY**_

> @"Solori.6025" said:

> > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

>

> That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> The panic will be

>

> _**LEGENDARY**_

Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

> > @"Solori.6025" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

> >

> > That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> > The panic will be

> >

> > _**LEGENDARY**_

>

> Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

Seems fair to me. While we're at it, you can boost the damage to be equal to that of Death's Judgement, the range to 1500, and make our shatters work at 1500 range too, thanks.

Mesmer's are very VERY predictable. Be the mesmer.. become the mesmer. Literally become the mesmer and play mesmer till your eyes bleed, you learn their weaknesses and strengths.

Anet built the mesmer class basically as a squish bug with high dmg. a sniper class without the literal sniper. Mesmers have been designed in a way they aren't good in prolonged fights when pvping/wvw included- it's get in and get out. If you nerf shatter (which has been damage reduced several times in the past with a slight increase in damage but not as strong as it used to be, with increased CD and decreased CD on other skills) Nerfing the shatter damage would push builds to be more condition based and then you'd complain about their conditions and want a nerf for them. So IMO as a mesmer main, they are fine. Ever heard of the 5 D's of dodgeball? Dodge duck dip dive and dodge. As a shatter mesmer when I do play the build, if I can't burst them down in 1 go then obv a second attempt is necessary but a third is time to get outta there due to lack of personal sustain when running pure shatter w/o the chrono. The point of shatter mesmer is to do high burst. You might as well complain that Thief Backstab is too stronk when you're under 50% health even though it has a ridiculous CD between uses and limited stealth time when you're dealing with "revealed". I see your point, I really do because I roll my eyes when a shatter mesmer uses dmg mantras+every since F skill available in 1 hit and I die. the point of burst is to be quick and heavy hitting. take away the burst and... literally what's the point?

The problem with zerker one shot mesmer isn't that it can one shot or nearly one shot. It's that it can reset a fight over and over due to frequent invulns, stealth and evades. The insane OPness of MoD with the stun trait doesn't help matters, but it's not the priority that should be dealt with in a gimmick spec. These kind of specs are nice for dueling builds with few defences and slower attacks, but they aren't great in team fights because of the non stop AoE and how easy it is to crush the mesmer with a little focus. Even a tanky spec can do considerable damage to a zerker mesmer, so force its CDs and be ready to stunbreak. Naturally, there should already be plenty of AoEs to kill clones and deter the mesmer from getting too close.

It's easy to counter and it's a one trick pony build. It stealths up, stuns, bursts, and then runs away because it can't do anything else for a few seconds. In the meantime, you can heal up or your Firebrand (because every team should have at least one) can heal you easy in the time it takes to set up another burst. Plus any amount of stability will allow you to react quickly enough. There are all kind of reasons why this build can't work outside of being a gimmick against squishier specs with little to no stability.

I had this incident in wvw: I had full zerk mesmer with GS, maybe not best traited for shatters. Enemy was power GS. Enemy mesmer's Mind Wrack gave 7+ k damage to my mesmer. What is strange is that my mesmer gave to this enemy mesmer only 2 k Mind Wrack. Enemy mesmer's Mind Wrack was 3.5 times bigger than my, and one burst had 2 x 7+ k totalling to 14+ k.

People say if enemy does huge damage, the enemy is glass and goes down fast, but I could not do any meaningful damage with my 2 k Mind Wracks.

> @"Pelto.9364" said:

> I had this incident in wvw: I had full zerk mesmer with GS, maybe not best traited for shatters. Enemy was power GS. Enemy mesmer's Mind Wrack gave 7+ k damage to my mesmer. What is strange is that my mesmer gave to this enemy mesmer only 2 k Mind Wrack. Enemy mesmer's Mind Wrack was 3.5 times bigger than my, and one burst had 2 x 7+ k totalling to 14+ k.

>

> People say if enemy does huge damage, the enemy is glass and goes down fast, but I could not do any meaningful damage with my 2 k Mind Wracks.

>

Keep in mind that you can achieve like 2000 toughness (about 50% damage reduction) for power and critical damage at maybe 80% zerker strength, at the cost of precision (which can be weighed up somewhat by something like intelligence sigils). Or you can go the boon duration route for perma protection and 25 might stacks (not so common with mesmers, but for examples holos can build about as nasty as a zerker spellbreaker with that). There is a reason why bruiser specs are strong in WvW. You may not have the real oomph of a zerker and isnt as strong against other bruisers/bunkers, but when it comes to hitting enemy zerkers without any toughness or vitality its like them still getting hit by a truck while fighting what feels like a bunker.

> @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

> > >

> > > That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> > > The panic will be

> > >

> > > _**LEGENDARY**_

> >

> > Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

>

> Seems fair to me. While we're at it, you can boost the damage to be equal to that of Death's Judgement, the range to 1500, and make our shatters work at 1500 range too, thanks.

trying to imply Mirage needs a buff?

> > @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > @"Solori.6025" said:

> > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

> > > >

> > > > That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> > > > The panic will be

> > > >

> > > > _**LEGENDARY**_

> > >

> > > Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

> >

> > Seems fair to me. While we're at it, you can boost the damage to be equal to that of Death's Judgement, the range to 1500, and make our shatters work at 1500 range too, thanks.

>

> trying to imply Mirage needs a buff?

Nope, trying to imply that using the balance applied to completely different skills on a completely different class as justification for nerfs on a different class is the height of idiocy. Neither of the things in either of our posts have even the most remote realistic justification for occurring.

> > > @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > > > > @"Solori.6025" said:

> > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

> > > > >

> > > > > That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> > > > > The panic will be

> > > > >

> > > > > _**LEGENDARY**_

> > > >

> > > > Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

> > >

> > > Seems fair to me. While we're at it, you can boost the damage to be equal to that of Death's Judgement, the range to 1500, and make our shatters work at 1500 range too, thanks.

> >

> > trying to imply Mirage needs a buff?

>

> Nope, trying to imply that using the balance applied to completely different skills on a completely different class as justification for nerfs on a different class is the height of idiocy. Neither of the things in either of our posts have even the most remote realistic justification for occurring.

Preventing a 1 shot from stealth isn't enough of a justification? Okay, i forget i was in the mes section of the forums, here you must only talk about buffs, not balancing the class.

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> > @"Thothkepara.2539" said:

> > > @"Arlette.9684" said:

> > > When I get blown up (and hell it happens) by a Shatter, I tell myself:

> > > “Crap, I didn’t account for that mesmer stealthing and switching on me.” Or “Crap, I didn’t read that guy swapping on me and going full blown tunnel vision.”

> > > When Casual Joe gets blown up:

> > > “GoddamnMesmerNubOPIgotmadskillzIdienubzbrokenspecbbqwentonfire.” Or simply “I got killed! Nerf Plox!”

> > >

> > > As you can see it’s all about perception and how different people see the same problem.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > I have been a Mes main since vanilla and have more time logged in WvW than anything else. I'm no pro, but I've tried every Mes build there is meta and otherwise. Shatter is one of the highest skill caps in the game, a ton of effort for literally a crapshoot of a pay off. When it works, it's amazing, but for most Mes players, its going to be a frustrating climb to ever learn how to play reliably. If you're a player that's been bombed a Shatter Mes, you're probably a "Casual Joe" who was on the unfortunate end of someone else's luck. If you've been bombed by one several times, it's probably a Mes player who is actually good at a very difficult setup to run with any consistency. And trust me, those people are rare.

>

> Or, consider this. Maybe it's not healthy for that much damage to be done from stealth with zero tell, regardless of if you saw the mesmer stealth or not. It was certainly deemed that way for Thieves backstabs, which caused various nerfs directly affecting it's potency year after year. And most recently, Death's Judgement was deemed too powerful for a "no-tell" shot from stealth - even though it already had the largest tell in the game - now it combines that and the requirement of having a large/bright target over the victim's head well before. And each argument you've stated above can be applied to either of those moves I've mentioned (seriously, just change "Shatter Mes" or "Mes" to "Power Thief" or "Teef"). So...why do you think you are exempt?

Your complaint boils down to "I lost to a Shatter Mes... NERF IT!" If Shatter was so OP, it would be dominating Mes meta, and every Mes would be running the build like Condi spamming Scourges. I can tell you it's certainly not in WvW as of this date. That said, it's still viable for roaming, and skilled players can make it work well.

mirages do actually dominate WvW roaming. Right now i try to get used to this burst combo but i suck in performing it. I Need to practice it more. But oh boy, for a full glass build i have so much sustain, stealth and mobility, its hard to get killed. Elusive Mind alone is what makes this burst so oped now.

The only ones that really destroy now are other op-gs mesmers lol. Backstabs are a bad Thing too tho.

> > > > Since the one shot may be coming from stealth, they should add a sound similar to deadeye's Death Judgment on Mirror Blade.

> > >

> > > That would be hilarious because then I would just cancel the skill and have an endless loop of sound.

> > > The panic will be

> > >

> > > _**LEGENDARY**_

> >

> > Easy fix. Make it go on full CD when cancelled, just like blurred frenzy.

>

> Seems fair to me. While we're at it, you can boost the damage to be equal to that of Death's Judgement, the range to 1500, and make our shatters work at 1500 range too, thanks.

You can also make the mesmer immobile, revealed, allow all of the damage to be reflected by projectile reflects, and make the tell four times as long, while also requiring 20+ seconds of combat with the target to deal its damage.

Let's face it; these burst combos are not even close to comparable.

At the end of the day, the damage is fine. The problem is bursting from stealth. As I said in a similar thread, nobody half-decent complains about signet D/D thief because despite its massive damage, the tell on the backstab/engage itself is obvious and easy to negate. D/P OHKO signets is a whole other beast with almost zero counterplay.

Full-melee GS PU shatter mirage is basically the same as the D/P thief; OOC/ranged stealth is what breaks it.

Also worth noting that regarding the tells on MB, the big pink GS tell only pops up if you cast it at a bit of a distance. Dunno if a bug or just because I never really faced mesmers who used it in melee much if ever previously (as this kind of build wasn't really ever made mainstream until mirage), but if casted within melee range while stealthed, the entirety of the skill doesn't seem to render to the opponent, so a stealthed mirage can in fact triclone MB shatter while dodging with zero visual tell if running PU, which seems to be the theme for these builds.

Also, audio tells are really bad ideas generally speaking. Usability drops a lot for deaf people or people who'd prefer to not listen to the clown-fiesta of effects the game is now featuring. I dislike DJ a lot for this reason.

It's one thing to die instantly, and another thing to die instantly without being capable of knowing you're even being attacked.

The problem is ranged/OOC stealth, and forever will be. It's not unique to just mesmer, either; x/P Daredevil, Smokescale ranger, engineer, and mesmer are all quite guilty of abusing the mechanic.

To be quite honest, little can survive the full damage save passive traits. And passives are massively frowned upon by the competitive community due to their very nature of trivializing gameplay.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> It's one thing to die instantly, and another thing to die instantly without being capable of knowing you're even being attacked.

>

> The problem is ranged/OOC stealth, and forever will be. It's not unique to just mesmer, either; x/P Daredevil, Smokescale ranger, engineer, and mesmer are all quite guilty of abusing the mechanic.

>

> To be quite honest, little can survive the full damage save passive traits. And passives are massively frowned upon by the competitive community due to their very nature of trivializing gameplay.

I'd sign on to the removing stealth from the game petition. Reworking all skills/traits/mechanics that revolve around stealth into something else sounds great but unfortunately the amount of changes done in balance patches typically doesn't go that high and we'll probably never see such a change. Even restricting stealth to combat only seems too significant.

If you fail to anticipate and get blown up, it's your own damn fault. You have a window of about 3-6 seconds with no tell figure it out.

If you can deal with thieves you can deal with this.

Also you people need to stop using WvW as examples. PvE stats aren't balanced for what you are trying to do, stop crying.

As I mentioned in another thread, there's a weird interaction with stealth and the MB tri-shatter combo with mirage that makes the tell on mirror blade invisible as well when casted in melee range which is probably a big source of complaints. Otherwise, especially from range, negating it is relatively easy.

Up until HoT, PvE stats/WvW ones were more balanced than the sPvP ones save dire/tb gear. The WvW community is substantially larger than the sPvP one at this point as well, so more people are going to generally talk about it.

> @"Daishi.6027" said:

> If you fail to anticipate and get blown up, it's your own kitten fault. You have a window of about 3-6 seconds with no tell figure it out.

> If you can deal with thieves you can deal with this.

>

> Also you people need to stop using WvW as examples. PvE stats aren't balanced for what you are trying to do, stop crying.

I play wvw mesmer, I play against wvw mesmer and wvw is the perfect example of how OP they are. When I'm roaming and come across a small fight or another roamer it's usually bag city. Honest mesmers will be the first to say how fun it is to just wtf one shot people, for a lot of us it's why we play. Even when we come across skilled people we usually win and if we make a mistake we just reset the fight no big deal. Telling people to stop crying does not help anyone.

@"Hanth.2978"

You may like it, and it may be your reason to play. That is great, and good for you.

But your criteria for balance is bad and the rest of the game shouldn’t have to cater to it.

You are arguing something is op in an unsupported format, in an area that was designed for large scale battles and logistics.

Which by the way, the “actually supported” and “intended content” in that area where any semblance of balance may be a factor,

power mirage is not as impactful as some other builds.

To top it off, the whole “Mistake or I win” thing has existed on Thief since like 2012. We learned how to deal with it then, and they have better stealth, and are not reliant on 30-40 second cooldowns to close the gap and hide their burst.

It doesn’t matter if telling people not to cry doesn’t help, when telling them to get better does equally as much, and you people continue to complain about something ultimately irrelevant to what justifies balance.

By your same criteria a tanky Druid build is OP because you can make a build that’ll never die 2-3v1, win fights pretty much by out sustaining, and can stop anything that isn’t a thief or a well placed portal from escaping.

Unless it’s strictly the “no tell” thing, which has more than enough counterplay if you are not bad.

>Anet built the mesmer class basically as a squish bug with high dmg.

Anet initially build the mesmer around 3 gameplay : clones, fantasmes and shatter.

**But** the forum mafia ony want shatter because, you know, it's skilled...

If you don't trust me, look at mesmer's forum before HoT, 80% of posts were pro-shatter.

So today we have little to no gameplay diversity.

>... so much sustain, stealth and mobility.

Mesmer haven't more evades than other specs. Mesmer have usually 2 invul and 2 stealth when other class have block/invu/healing skills or other way to survive. if they are not as good, it's because on many specs they have groups/aoe/damage effects on survive skills.

>The problem is bursting from stealth.

That why many tips are : play mes.

Stealth have a duration, like torch stealth, you know that the burn will come after 2.5 sec (4sec if PU). That's why it's nearly impossible to burst a good player with a mesmer. (And that's why you don't see top mes play shatter burst today.)

Only the Mass invisibility skill can make it unpredictable.

And about your thief comparison : thief always have a better stealth uptime during a fight against mesmer and it alaways counter shatter builds. They probably just not remember how to do it after playing easy running build with UC during HoT. ;)

>Also you people need to stop using WvW as examples.

+1, WvW balance worth nothing since 2.5 years.

Ass DeceiverX said, it's probably better to look at WvW stats first.

>I play wvw mesmer, I play against wvw mesmer and wvw is the perfect example of how OP they are. When I'm roaming and come across a small fight or another roamer it's usually bag city. Honest mesmers will be the first to say how fun it is to just kitten one shot people, for a lot of us it's why we play. Even when we come across skilled people we usually win and if we make a mistake we just reset the fight no big deal. Telling people to stop crying does not help anyone.

The main problem is that the majority of WvW player do WvW with exotic build or PvE build and never do the effort to think about advantage/inconvenient of specs then come here to say mesmer is op and so on that impact directly PvP where mesmer is not op.

Mesmer is OP in 1v1 (And 1v1 never contribute to win the match) WvW only because :

* It's full of casuals who don't play optimised builds (Pve builds, exotic builds.).

* It's full of groups builds who are inefective when not in groups.

* There are op stats who need to power-down.

You can feel strong killing thoses guys but it's just a poor reward knowing that.

And I play actively WvW for 4 years.)

If you just want to kill shatter zerk mes as a mesmer, just go tank build, you will see them running around doing nothing and if they come too close, they will take a lot more damage than they do to you.

And it work way better with other spec like tanky gard/dh with retal.

**Just on a side note, is there someone here that ever try to play shatter burst without stealth during thoses last 2 years ?** If you have a video or some result, it would be cool because I can't imagine someone get hit one time by a f1 during this kind of fight.