Considering a new PC

Hello guys,

Currently I play Gw2 with a 5-year old laptop with the following specs:

- Intel i5 3210M @ 2.5 GHz

- NVidia GeForce GT650M 2GB

- 8GB RAM

- Windows 7

I'm dropping FPS easily when its getting ''busier'' on the screen, even teamfights in 5v5 PvP bother me. I think regularly i'll have something like 20 FPS with every graphic option on lowest. I don't know if my settings on the PC are optimal for getting the most potential out of my hardware, but probably my hardware is just old now and wasn't too good in the first place.

So my first question: is 20 FPS normal with the specs I have?

Second question:

I am consdering to buy a desktop pc with the following specs:

- AMD Athlon X4 845 3,5GHz / max. 3,8GHz (Quad Core)

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

- Windows 10

Now, could someone tell me which graphic settings I can run Gw2 with these specs (approximately) and how much FPS i'll get? GW2 is basically the only game I play on PC, so I need to know whether buying that PC will be worth it or not. Its hard for me to judge as I lost track of which graphic cards are decent now and I am unfamiliar with AMD processors in general. I heard that Gw2 is a CPU-demanding game rather than a GPU-demanding game, but I don't know if that AMD processor fits this game then.

Thanks in advance.

> @"HeadCrowned.6834" said:

> Hello guys,

> I am consdering to buy a desktop pc with the following specs:

> - AMD Athlon X4 845 3,5GHz / max. 3,8GHz (Quad Core)

> - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

> - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

> - Windows 10

With this Configuration U wouldn't be happy

Other Question how many / much Budget do U have to Buy Hardware ?

somethings to consider.

GW2 depends on the CPU more then most other games. AMD is generally less effective in multi threading compared to intel. In normal circumstances this is not an issue, but for GW2 it is.

But...Intel recently had a scandal being responsable for a big security issue. I personally would still go with intel as the patch seems to be working allright (unless you run some old type of AMD)

To me, depending on your budget I would consider the following:

1: consider an Intel CPU (keep in mind this also might require a different mainboard)

2: get 8 GB of memory.

3: Get a better GPU (1070Ti, or if you can effort it a 1080Ti)

4: make sure you run on an SSD.

I think for 800-1000 more you can have a very strong gig

Just looking based off the minimum specs website, https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862958-Minimum-System-Requirements

The pc that you found should be suffice. A gtx 1050 TI would work great, I do not believe you need anything better if you're on a budget. I do agree that the athlon processor is a tad weak but I am positive you can still run the game oh high or even maxed out with 60+fps. Youtube has good videos of people with the 1050ti running it smooth, if you need more research just look there.

I'm assuming you found a prebuilt, but if you have the budget and NEED the pc right now, I would suggest building your own pc and using the AMD ryzen platform with a gtx 1050ti as the athlon is on an older socket that has no upgrade options for the future.

> @"HeadCrowned.6834" said:

> Second question:

> I am consdering to buy a desktop pc with the following specs:

> - AMD Athlon X4 845 3,5GHz / max. 3,8GHz (Quad Core)

> - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

> - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

> - Windows 10

>

> Now, could someone tell me which graphic settings I can run Gw2 with these specs (approximately) and how much FPS i'll get? GW2 is basically the only game I play on PC, so I need to know whether buying that PC will be worth it or not. Its hard for me to judge as I lost track of which graphic cards are decent now and I am unfamiliar with AMD processors in general. I heard that Gw2 is a CPU-demanding game rather than a GPU-demanding game, but I don't know if that AMD processor fits this game then.

> Thanks in advance.

- AMD X4 845 / If your Budget is limited waited for the new Ryzen CPU's coming out Feb 12th named: Ryzen 3 2200G (Quad Core) and Ryzen 2400G (Quad Core + Multithreading), they are both much stronger than the X4 845.

- GTX 1050Ti is more than enough for GW2 at 1080p, most likely you'll be able to run at high settings too.

- Ryzen runs on DDR4, 8GB are fair enough for this game, but if you plan to play something more demanding, 16GB makes a good balance.

Overall it is a little more expensive but it's worth it, the X4 845 has very low performance compared to Ryzen, especially in a CPU heavy game such as GW2 where CPU performance matters a lot. You don't buy a PC every day, better make it right on the first shot.

• 4 months later...

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> somethings to consider.

> GW2 depends on the CPU more then most other games. AMD is generally less effective in multi threading compared to intel. In normal circumstances this is not an issue, but for GW2 it is.

You actually got that backwards: Intel has a bit better **single core** performance than AMD, AMD has more cores for the same cost.

So, focusing only on GW2 you want to buy the processor with the fastest single threaded performance you can afford. That probably means Intel, but check the benchmarks. **NOTE:** this is only because any processor that you buy today will have enough cores to keep up with what GW2 needs, for "free", so you don't need to think about it. Four cores is enough, six cores more than.

> But...Intel recently had a scandal being responsable for a big security issue.

AMD CPUs, and ARM CPUs, were also vulnerable to some of Specter, Meltdown, and Specter V2 attacks, and I have absolute confidence that there are other exploits of speculative execution, secure enclaves, management coprocessors, and the like waiting to be revealed. You cannot effectively base a decision about processor purchase, today, on the security available at the hardware level. (Unfortunately. Both options are a gamble, AMD perhaps a minor amount less.)

Good choice, most of the advice in this thread is bad/wrong.

Your i5-3210M actually has better single thread performance than the Athlon x4 845, if only by about 10 points in Cinebench. Still that's a downgrade.

Where as your i5 7400 is over 50 points higher than the Athlon.

Someone suggesting a 1070ti is a laughable amount of overkill (and over pricing) for Gw2, your 1050Ti is the sweetspot if you only play this game.

Slippy already corrected the AMD vs Intel performance quote.