Firebrand Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

Very good changes indeed! Now I actually want to try condi Firebrand for real.

Not sure about the extra 120 radius on mantras, it still seems bad (maybe at least 150~180?), but I'll try it out.

>Tome of Resolve: Reduced the cooldown from 45s to 40s. Healing scaling of ALL its skills increased significantly.

It seems to be intent to be very slow, but powerful heal, not sure if this will work out. I prefer a faster (~30 sec CD) but weaker than this option, this would make a more supportive (healer) role more reliable and viable. But still, I'll try it out to see how works out.

>Symbol of Vengeance: Reduced cast time by 0.25s.

(A bit off topic) Now that Symbol of Vengeance got its cast time reduced a bit, you could consider reducing the Symbol of Faith (mace #2) as well? Its cast time is a bit too high as well.

Will be new changes to core Guard/DH too?

Again, very good changes, can't wait to try it out.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good changes overall

What needs to be added is:

Fix the cone/range of mantras, they are still bad for support in pvp and wvw. either 600 range in a cone or atleast 240 radius.

Add a boon to the axe symbol

Add blast finishers in the tomes so we can trigger our own combofields.

Mantra of solace should heal allies as well

Merge the two damaging mantras into one, they are to weak and add in a mobility mantra to replace it.

The mobility in FB is just the worst in the game and since we have poor range on the skills we cant keep up and be where the support is needed.

Reduce cast times on tome skils. Valiant Bulwark is the most obvious one, it just aint working as a tool being forced to first cast the tome follwed by a long cast skill, to protect versus fast projectiles.

Fix staff, yes this is a firebrand issue, its the most focused support weapon we have and its broken.

With the buffs they made, firebrand, ironically, seems to be very anti-condi. Use courage resistance, using resolve for condi clear burst, take pure of voice, take two shouts, take the cleanse mantra, and you got yourself a condi cleansing machine that would put core bunker guard to shame.

Mantras are fine even without the 240 radius. If anything maybe a 450 cone but I wouldn't need it. Good notes on the coefficient changes. I'm a fan of everything on this list.

> @Hellmasker.1649 said:

> > @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

>

> > * Legendary Lore: Tome of Courage effect is now 4s protection in place of 5s of aegis.

>

> And just like that, my hype for PoF is all but shattered.

> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> * Unflinching Charge: This ability now grants 4s aegis in addition to its previous effects.

> * Unbroken Lines: This ability now grants 4s of aegis in addition to its previous effects.

You still have Aegis spam, its just on ToC 1 and 5 untraited now, which is pure benefit.

>! Also, don't think I didn't see that [pun](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattered_Aegis).

> @Kuya.6495 said:

> With the buffs they made, firebrand, ironically, seems to be very anti-condi. Use courage resistance, using resolve for condi clear burst, take pure of voice, take two shouts, take the cleanse mantra, and you got yourself a condi cleansing machine that would put core bunker guard to shame.

Yepp, i played it with at least one shout in every setup during beta and it was good versus condi spammers. Shouts are great for FB. Add in trooper runes and viper gear and you have damage as well. The obvious shouts are retreat and SyG imo. If ou trait and build for those retreat is pretty sweet.

Still working on how to squeeze in retreat and trooper runes and still practically maintain 100% uptime on quickness in pvp and wvw.

I predict that honor/virtues will be fotm tbh.

Some of these changes were verbatim changes requested by some of the more avid players from the pvp community, awesome! In particular, reduction of ToC cooldown to 50s was one I kept pushing for, glad to see that change was made.

We may not realize it yet but I'm very confident that FB is going to play a lot more smoothly and be a lot more effective with these buffs. Playing it during the demo weekend, I felt it was almost viable and just needed a tad bit of buffing (just numerical buffs, honestly) and we received exactly that.

Some changes that we didn't receive that we really should though: Mantra final charges should for a few of the mantras should be a bit more impactful. As it stands, some of them (Liberation, Lore, Potence and Flame) have final charges that are essentially identical to initial charges. This really encourages you to only use 2/3 charges and never use the final one unless you're 100% sure it's going to finish out the fight.

Thanks for the changes, I can't wait to play!

> @Azoqu.8917 said:

> As much as I would have loved to hear Tomes becoming kits with pages as initiative, a CD reduction will be nice. And great to hear that mantras are AoE now as well.

As said, Tomes being used like kits with pages as initiative would be perfect! I felt like using the Tomes was too quick, the sooner was it up than it was on cooldown...

I really like the changes, thanks Irenio for addressing some of concerns we had regarding this spec. One suggestion from my side regarding core guardian. I think If pure of heart trait would be changed to apply the same effect for 5 people as a unique buff, that would make a healing/support guardian and firebrand a really good option from pve perspective. Sure, numbers would have to be balanced so it's not broken in any game mode, but I think this could make a healer guard an interesting option to consider for raids.

> @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> I really like the changes, thanks Irenio for addressing some of concerns we had regarding this spec. One suggestion from my side regarding core guardian. I think If pure of heart trait would be changed to apply the same effect for 5 people as a unique buff, that would make a healing/support guardian and firebrand a really good option from pve perspective. Sure, numbers would have to be balanced so it's not broken in any game mode, but I think this could make a healer guard an interesting option to consider for raids.

Pretty sure Unscathed Contender could be allowed to affect anyone under our Aegis. PoH already heals anyone who gets a block with our aegis (only way to really heal imo).

As nice as a CD recharge on Tome of Courage is, Tomes are too cool to be on such a long cooldown. Or on a cooldown at all.

And mantras are too lame to be to be Utility skills. I know you've tried to make them flavourful by making it a cone, which is a nice idea. But doesn't take away the effect that mantras have in most cases, ->charge->spam is one of the most unengaging types of gameplay in my opinion.

Like others have mentioned, kits would've been a MUCH more fun way to play firebrand. Since the tomes are imo actually really fun to use.

> @Azoqu.8917 said:

> > @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> > I really like the changes, thanks Irenio for addressing some of concerns we had regarding this spec. One suggestion from my side regarding core guardian. I think If pure of heart trait would be changed to apply the same effect for 5 people as a unique buff, that would make a healing/support guardian and firebrand a really good option from pve perspective. Sure, numbers would have to be balanced so it's not broken in any game mode, but I think this could make a healer guard an interesting option to consider for raids.

>

> Pretty sure Unscathed Contender could be allowed to affect anyone under our Aegis. PoH already heals anyone who gets a block with our aegis (only way to really heal imo).

I didn't know that, thank you for your response. Then I will be having a good time trying healing FB. That change for Unscathed Contender would be amazing.

I'm really happy the CD on the tomes are less, but not really feeling the 120 radius. Unless someone(s) are playing on top of you basically, this radius is moot, and won't benefit. Would much rather prefer at least a 400 radius & get rid of the cone in front of you altogether. 600 radius would be even better. Guess I won't be as much support in pve as I had hoped. :(

> @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> > @Azoqu.8917 said:

> > > @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> > > I really like the changes, thanks Irenio for addressing some of concerns we had regarding this spec. One suggestion from my side regarding core guardian. I think If pure of heart trait would be changed to apply the same effect for 5 people as a unique buff, that would make a healing/support guardian and firebrand a really good option from pve perspective. Sure, numbers would have to be balanced so it's not broken in any game mode, but I think this could make a healer guard an interesting option to consider for raids.

> >

> > Pretty sure Unscathed Contender could be allowed to affect anyone under our Aegis. PoH already heals anyone who gets a block with our aegis (only way to really heal imo).

>

> I didn't know that, thank you for your response. Then I will be having a good time trying healing FB. That change for Unscathed Contender would be amazing.

I played mostly a quickness/eagis spamming Fb during beta and could apply 10 aegis (retreat, shield 4, 3 from mantra of solace and 5 from ToC (didnt trait tomes at all so only 5 pages)) to the team. I also had about 1100 healing power when having quickness which gave me about 1200 healing per aegis on me and when i traited Force of Will those healed my allies for close to 1400 per aegis.

If i understood the changes correct they removed aegis from legendary lore and replaced it with protection (great imo and needed for frontline game play) and added aegis in skill 4 and skill 1 making it still spammable. This is an improvement since you dont want to cover your own existing aegis. In the previous version you had to wait with skills to have aegis removed. Now you will have 3 spells as fillers (2,3 and 5) and making game play much more fluid.

Get in a fight with ToJ and use all pages, adding ashes thru skill 5 on ToJ and from quickfire, cast 4 last and trigger combo field with hammer (might). Burn all pages (5) (doing damage)

Swap to ToC spamming aegis, all 5 pages, trigger combifield with hammer and cleanse conditions. (prevent damage and healing)

Swap to ToR, skill 5 first, 2, 3,1 and 4, trigger combo field with hammer for aoe heal.

All this is done with stability, regen, condi cleanse from mantras, heal and aegis from mantra of solace/retreat and perma quickness/swiftness. Swap to axe/scepter for some serious dps.

lots of micro management and the skill cap on guadian just went up dramatically.

Tbh i find the changes anet has done to be spot on for the way i want to play FB. I just hope it is enough. I am seriously concerned about not having any bubbles and very more combat mobility.

I might ditch my thief/deadeye and come back to my guardian.

> @Brutaly.6257 said:

> > @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> > > @Azoqu.8917 said:

> > > > @AikunFelcis.7258 said:

> > > > I really like the changes, thanks Irenio for addressing some of concerns we had regarding this spec. One suggestion from my side regarding core guardian. I think If pure of heart trait would be changed to apply the same effect for 5 people as a unique buff, that would make a healing/support guardian and firebrand a really good option from pve perspective. Sure, numbers would have to be balanced so it's not broken in any game mode, but I think this could make a healer guard an interesting option to consider for raids.

> > >

> > > Pretty sure Unscathed Contender could be allowed to affect anyone under our Aegis. PoH already heals anyone who gets a block with our aegis (only way to really heal imo).

> >

> > I didn't know that, thank you for your response. Then I will be having a good time trying healing FB. That change for Unscathed Contender would be amazing.

>

> I played mostly a quickness/eagis spamming Fb during beta and could apply 10 aegis (retreat, shield 4, 3 from mantra of solace and 5 from ToC (didnt trait tomes at all so only 5 pages)) to the team. I also had about 1100 healing power when having quickness which gave me about 1200 healing per aegis on me and when i traited Force of Will those healed my allies for close to 1400 per aegis.

>

> If i understood the changes correct they removed aegis from legendary lore and replaced it with protection (great imo and needed for frontline game play) and added aegis in skill 4 and skill 1 making it still spammable. This is an improvement since you dont want to cover your own existing aegis. In the previous version you had to wait with skills to have aegis removed. Now you will have 3 spells as fillers (2,3 and 5) and making game play much more fluid.

>

> Get in a fight with ToJ and use all pages, adding ashes thru skill 5 on ToJ and from quickfire, cast 4 last and trigger combo field with hammer (might). Burn all pages (5) (doing damage)

> Swap to ToC spamming aegis, all 5 pages, trigger combifield with hammer and cleanse conditions. (prevent damage and healing)

> Swap to ToR, skill 5 first, 2, 3,1 and 4, trigger combo field with hammer for aoe heal.

>

> All this is done with stability, regen, condi cleanse from mantras, heal and aegis from mantra of solace/retreat and perma quickness/swiftness. Swap to axe/scepter for some serious dps.

>

> lots of micro management and the skill cap on guadian just went up dramatically.

>

> Tbh i find the changes anet has done to be spot on for the way i want to play FB. I just hope it is enough. I am seriously concerned about not having any bubbles and very more combat mobility.

>

> I might ditch my thief/deadeye and come back to my guardian.

Thanks for the advice about rotations, I really like what you described, will be fun to check that out for sure.