If you're not going to fix the client

Are you using the old version of arcdps? I have no extraordinary issues with crashes using the 64bit Windows client. If it was a bug in the client, everybody would experience it, right? Also, if you reset your computer after every program crash, there is something wrong with your approach. The bluescreens I experience from time to time happen with several different software I use, so it's definitely not the GW2 client in my case.

I have windows 10 and have done the repair along with other options to fix the issue. Everytime the client loses signal it locks fullscreen I can't get anything other than the frozen game to display this includes Content Manager. At this point only running the game in windowed mode will prevent the lock up, this has been the conclusion on multiple sites. But since the ratio of window and windows fullscreen is off for only this game everything looks really thin and stretched vertically. The ratio I use in fullscreen isn't an option in the base mode, if I could fix that I could just run window fullscreen which would allow me to bypass the lock up. It only seems to happen with 10 and either client. Going to check one last thing it was a fix for another, so far no luck here. According to a reddit it's compatibility mode that's causing the issue.

> @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> Post in the bugs section if forums with better information included. You will get people who work on the client reading it.

their is no #ArenaNet devs that hardly read that forum much less even post to that forum . and when they do it is so shocking some times mods have to lock that topic

about all you get reply was in that forum is other players who are not devs from #ArenaNet . they are just other players who are trying to be help full best they can given no #ArenaNet hardly even posts their unless they are hashtag

it would be very nice tho if the devs did post more in that part of the forums as well as the rest of the forums more than they do or have done in the past

> @"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:

> > @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> > Post in the bugs section if forums with better information included. You will get people who work on the client reading it.

>

> their is no #ArenaNet devs that hardly read that forum much less even post to that forum . and when they do it is so shocking some times mods have to lock that topic

> about all you get reply was in that forum is other players who are not devs from #ArenaNet . they are just other players who are trying to be help full best they can given no #ArenaNet hardly even posts their unless they are hashtag

>

> it would be very nice tho if the devs did post more in that part of the forums as well as the rest of the forums more than they do or have done in the past

So you want them to stop working on the game and play forum wars with the rest of us?

Dont think much will get done then ever.

I know what he's describing...

Basically the client freezes but remains "on top" of everything else so you can't close it or use task manager to shut it down, so the only option is to restart the computer.

Try opening the task manager when the computer is normal, and then "Options>Always on Top". Should help with this issue.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> I know what he's describing...

> Basically the client freezes but remains "on top" of everything else so you can't close it or use task manager to shut it down, so the only option is to restart the computer.

> Try opening the task manager when the computer is normal, and then "Options>Always on Top". Should help with this issue.

This. Have a number of guildmates and myself running into this. You can use keyboard actions to close GW2 from task Manager but that still leaves a GW2 process out there that can't be killed leaving you the option on shutting down or hard booting if shutdown hangs. Started around the Halloween patch. Only other pattern I have seen when this happens is that GW2 is also using a lot of memory, not max but more than normal runs. And shutting down this way does not create an error report so that's an extra bit on top of the issue. At first it seemed like there was a pattern in zone transitions but it can occur even when in things like mid-leap. The randomness and the extra memory in use leans toward a memory leak. Still looking for patterns, pretty aggravating to be honest. Haven't found any pattern in everyone's equipment yet either, differing PC ages, OS, hardware, graphics.

> @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> Win7, 64 bit client, no add ons. Oh look no crashing.

> additionally, I play windowed full screen as I like to look at other things on a 2nd monitor.

It's not the addons. I think it's an interaction with other stuff...

Myself, i'm pretty sure it's from GForce Experience recording feature, the old ShadowPlay.

I've experienced these hangups ever since i started using ShadowPlay, they're infrequent, but they do happen, usually when i'm alt tabbing a lot, and because i always have the background recording working.

> Basically the client freezes but remains "on top" of everything else so you can't close it or use task manager to shut it down, so the only option is to restart the computer.

> Try opening the task manager when the computer is normal, and then "Options>Always on Top". Should help with this issue.

Thanks I had not even thought of that. This will definitely remove the need to restart. =)

> @"Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > I know what he's describing...

> > Basically the client freezes but remains "on top" of everything else so you can't close it or use task manager to shut it down, so the only option is to restart the computer.

> > Try opening the task manager when the computer is normal, and then "Options>Always on Top". Should help with this issue.

>

> Thanks I had not even thought of that. This will definitely remove the need to restart. =)

It's cool man... Actually your post helped me REMEMBER to do that, because every time i find this hangup i have to restart, but it happens so infrequently i forget to set the taskmanager that way ^_^

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:

> > > @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> > > Post in the bugs section if forums with better information included. You will get people who work on the client reading it.

> >

> > their is no #ArenaNet devs that hardly read that forum much less even post to that forum . and when they do it is so shocking some times mods have to lock that topic

> > about all you get reply was in that forum is other players who are not devs from #ArenaNet . they are just other players who are trying to be help full best they can given no #ArenaNet hardly even posts their unless they are hashtag

> >

> > it would be very nice tho if the devs did post more in that part of the forums as well as the rest of the forums more than they do or have done in the past

>

> So you want them to stop working on the game and play forum wars with the rest of us?

> Dont think much will get done then ever.

they would not even do that much at all . not only that but their is only about 3 or 4 devs that even post on the so called official forums compared to fake reddit

they hardly get stuff done as it is in the first place ;/. unless its gem store stuff then that gets right to the top ;/

I have this problem. First time it happened was around the time Istan first became available, because it happened at the end of the Palawadan meta. As I was running around on my mount to grab chests, every time I dismounted, my character would sort of glitch out (appear to jump higher then snap back down to normal as the camera jumps backwards before coming back). It would do this every time I dismounted and I figured it would go away on its own, being lag or a momentary loading issue, but eventually the game just froze and like others describe, the computer itself hadn't froze, just GW2, and it was stuck in full screen, requiring me to set Task Manager to always-on-top in order to close it. Upon restarting, my character dismounted as normal. I can usually notice the dismounting bug occuring now so I know to find a good stopping point so I can restart the game, but it becomes a bit of a drag when I'm in the middle of a long event like a Dragon Stand meta or anything else which rewards me for participation, since I have to wipe it all in order to continue playing.

What about the good old ctrl + alt + del? Or ctrl + shift + esc? When GW2 freezes like described, this works for me to get into the task manager and kill the process. I use Windows 7.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > I know what he's describing...

> > Basically the client freezes but remains "on top" of everything else so you can't close it or use task manager to shut it down, so the only option is to restart the computer.

> > Try opening the task manager when the computer is normal, and then "Options>Always on Top". Should help with this issue.

>

> What about the good old ctrl + alt + del? Or ctrl + shift + esc? When GW2 freezes like described, this works for me to get into the task manager and kill the process. I use Windows 7.

I never had this with 7, since i used AMD cards on my old pc, and started this one off with 10.

The thing is the client crashes, and stays on top of everything else, including the task manager. If you ctrl+alt+del, you get the "Lock, change user, etc, task manager" screen, but if you click taskmanager gw2 will be on top. If you use ctrl+shift+esc, it opens taskman but with gw2 on top, hence the fix i mentioned earlier.

I mean if you had read what i said, you'd have realized that it always involved opening task manager.

> > @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> > Win7, 64 bit client, no add ons. Oh look no crashing.

> > additionally, I play windowed full screen as I like to look at other things on a 2nd monitor.

>

> It's not the addons. I think it's an interaction with other stuff...

> Myself, i'm pretty sure it's from GForce Experience recording feature, the old ShadowPlay.

> I've experienced these hangups ever since i started using ShadowPlay, they're infrequent, but they do happen, usually when i'm alt tabbing a lot, and because i always have the background recording working.

ShadowPlay is a naste pile of rubbish, but if you want to keep a screenrecorder that works as fine as ShadowPlay, you might switch to OBS like I did.

As the encoder, you select the hardware one (NVENC) and Stereomix as audio source and you can kill ShadowPlay forever. However, OBS does not have a "ghost" feature, but at least it does not suck as much as ShadowPlay.

Excelsior.

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > > @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> > > Win7, 64 bit client, no add ons. Oh look no crashing.

> > > additionally, I play windowed full screen as I like to look at other things on a 2nd monitor.

> >

> > It's not the addons. I think it's an interaction with other stuff...

> > Myself, i'm pretty sure it's from GForce Experience recording feature, the old ShadowPlay.

> > I've experienced these hangups ever since i started using ShadowPlay, they're infrequent, but they do happen, usually when i'm alt tabbing a lot, and because i always have the background recording working.

>

> ShadowPlay is a naste pile of rubbish, but if you want to keep a screenrecorder that works as fine as ShadowPlay, you might switch to OBS like I did.

> As the encoder, you select the hardware one (NVENC) and Stereomix as audio source and you can kill ShadowPlay forever. However, OBS does not have a "ghost" feature, but at least it does not suck as much as ShadowPlay.

>

> Excelsior.

I use "shadowplay" because of the "ghost" feature. Its nice that i can just get a replay of stuff that i did, helps with when people cheat in fron tof me, helps record that awesome epic match i just had, etc.

I don't have any issues with shadowplay, except that it apparently interferes with GW2's priority and how it displays when it freezes.