What build do you use for Open world PVE (Heart and Fire)

Vicus.5841

Well, It's a little tricky, as one of the best builds I have ever used for PoF, Open World is a Cele-Ranger, LB, (The other weapon is up to you, I do not use optimal weapons, because I am a slave to fashion) , but the LB is great! If you go WupWup, (like I did), I also slotted +5 power Infusions. Which help speed up the take down.

If you plan to explore HoT, I have found a power based Engineer, useing flamethrower with the Juggernaut trait to work really well.

I also use a guard, but, it's a relic of the past, a Old Style Shout Guard, that I just made when I started, and never bothered to change.

> @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> **Try this out!**

> There's na importante tip that many ppl here forgets: What is viable in Raids is not Always viable in Open World PVE!

> So i invite you to try out the way i play Guardian (and feast on PvE Content)

Any tips on the third utility skill and runes?

> @"BrazenNL.9857" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > **Try this out!**

> > There's na importante tip that many ppl here forgets: What is viable in Raids is not Always viable in Open World PVE!

> > So i invite you to try out the way i play Guardian (and feast on PvE Content)

> Any tips on the third utility skill and runes?

If you want maximum Efficiency: Full Berserker with Scholar Runes

Utilities: Test of Faith, Swords Trap and the Passive Power Signet. With Dragon's MAW or Renewed Focus as Elite Skills

You can also swap Test of Faith for Stand your Ground if you want more stability for longer fights

> > @"BrazenNL.9857" said:

> > Any tips on the third utility skill and runes?

>

> If you want maximum Efficiency: Full Berserker with Scholar Runes

> Utilities: Test of Faith, Swords Trap and the Passive Power Signet. With Dragon's MAW or Renewed Focus as Elite Skills

> You can also swap Test of Faith for Stand your Ground if you want more stability for longer fights

Yeah, I think I like SYG best. I don't think I can stay about 90%, so I'll have to look for something else.

Thanks!

Does anyone run hammer Guard? I just started (level 21) and have been using a hammer because of the boons it provides on the 3rd iteration of the auto attack. Am I spinning my wheels with that weapon so to speak? I have both expansions and enjoy the thought of being a tank/healer akin to a warrior/monk in GW1 but also hear Firebrand is more of a caster type and I love wizards in traditional mmos. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hammer isn't really designed for open world content. It's strong for CC, which you don't need for trash (and 99% of open world is trash), and defense in medium or long fights, which rarely happen in open world. Other weapons like GS, sword and scepter are more frontloaded, thus allowing you to burst down trash quickly and move on to the next target.

> @"CptAurellian.9537" said:

> Hammer isn't really designed for open world content. It's strong for CC, which you don't need for trash (and 99% of open world is trash), and defense in medium or long fights, which rarely happen in open world. Other weapons like GS, sword and scepter are more frontloaded, thus allowing you to burst down trash quickly and move on to the next target.

Do these weapons address the squishiness of the Guard? I found with a GS I was taking considerable damage to trash mobs when I tried it out and even getting downed by multiple mobs fairly quickly. Or was I myself just doing things horribly wrong?

Against trash, use your blinds accordingly. That's an even stronger defense than the protection you get from hammer after you've put considerable time into an autoattack chain. GS #3 and sword #2 both blind enemies near your target. Also, I strongly recommend going into the radiance traitline first, since the first minor trait will give you an AoE blind on F1 activation, while the second minor recharges F1 every time you kill an enemy. That way, many trash mobs will have a hard time hitting you at all before they die.

> Against trash, use your blinds accordingly. That's an even stronger defense than the protection you get from hammer after you've put considerable time into an autoattack chain. GS #3 and sword #2 both blind enemies near your target. Also, I strongly recommend going into the radiance traitline first, since the first minor trait will give you an AoE blind on F1 activation, while the second minor recharges F1 every time you kill an enemy. That way, many trash mobs will have a hard time hitting you at all before they die.

I am going to play with this when I get home. I suppose I will reset my traits and test this out. Thank you for the insights!

I assume you mean **Path** of fire. I did it pretty much like:

> I usually just stick with the meta build, although some small trait variations (stuff like zealous scepter or changing radiance traits) are a quick and easy way to adapt to being solo. Adapting your play style, e.g. camping scepter against mobs that are too annoying in melee range, also helps survivability a lot.

Tweak some minor things here and there and you should be set. Also remember that you can change your auxiliary skills and traits whenever you're out of combat.

For example, I always like having a focus coupled with my scepter as an "oh kitten" set if GS melee should go south for wathever reason and F3 is already on cooldown. Dodge away, pop focus 5, take a breath, fight on. Have a projectile heavy encounter? Swap some anit-projectile skills in. Etc. etc.

Guardians offer so many blocks and blinds that open world play should be easy-peazy as soon as one got familiar with the class.

I'm someone with multiple Ascended sets, and play Meta, and a mix of highly viable builds. I recently made a gear set for the support Firebrand brand for Fractals, and discovered something that I love now in open world.

I just mixed Berserker Trinkets with my Harrier gear, and switched some Traits around. I'll post both builds to show what I changed, but put the open world one first. I'll change the Weapon Sigils for open world too.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWnsADFBjtCBGCBkCjlBCzKAUtaT7L0IaGFLDUCuBA-jxRBQBA4UAYGlgXR5nFeCANVfwf2f4qq/EA4A49u393D8+7v/+7v31v/+7v/+7v/+7vHA-e

This is the open world version. The only Traits I changed were in Radiance. I took the Retaliation traits for added damage. With this set up you have so much healing, and self buffing that you can solo pretty much anything, and heal with blocks, constant regen, and heal skills. With the combo of the Runes, and Mantras, you are always near Critical cap(97%), and have many buffs. It has Quickness, permanent Regen, Retaliation, Stability, Aegis spam, CC, Might, Furry, Swiftness, Protection, and Resistence. The self healing is absurd for a hybrid build. Also the damage is very high burst due to all the buffs you can give yourself when solo.

It's a lot of fun feeling unstoppable.

It's easy to solo champions, events, and HoT Hero Points. If you need Range, then use a Scepter instead of staff.

The Support build is this to see what I changed.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWnsADFBjtDBGCBEEhlBCbfhGRzoYZgSwNwKAMtKAA-jxxGQBk7UAsUlfA4JAAVlgpZ/hgq+zN1HEA4A49u393D8+7v/+7v31v/+7v/+7v/+7vHA-e

Actually I take that back...... I ran it through the Sandswept Isles for a few days, and it was really potent with a large enough group to bounce off of. Middling heals was good enough, but being able to just keep piling on back to back Tome of Justice with the Renewed Justice trait is some crazy burn damage despite the overall low condi ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the last times I played Guardian I ran a Dragonhunter build with Greatsword and Hammer. I traited as much retaliation as I could and used utilities that buffed retaliation as well. If I had to do it again I'd replace Hammer with scepter, even though Hammer can be useful during long fights when GS abilities are on CD or you need the CC to bust break bars.

I actually usually play a Reaper though, I switched back when my guildies in Spud informed me Dragonhunter had issues getting into end game content as much as Reaper.

I'm thinking about running a core build that Nike was promoting in a recent video that supposedly cranked out decent DPS.

Ever since they fixed the mantras, I run the Snowcrows Raid meta condi Firebrand build in PvE and find it to be very effective all over the game including PoF. I'll switch around some of the utilities to fit the situation. You can add a couple of Carrion stat accessories to get your health pool up a bit until you get the feel for the build or just want a little health cushion in PvE.

• 4 months later...

> **Try this out!**

> There's na importante tip that many ppl here forgets: What is viable in Raids is not Always viable in Open World PVE!

> So i invite you to try out the way i play Guardian (and feast on PvE Content)

> With this build you can:

>

> - Kill trash mobs in 2 seconds

> - Tag meta-events targets with no effort at all (Like Silverwastes, Dragon's Stand, Istan, etc)

> - Be safe from harm when ranging

> - UNMATCHED Burst damage in the window of 5 seconds, which means you can 100-0 a veteran mob while recovering over 3000 HP/sec with my build!

> - Looks cool, shinny and sparkling, which is the most importante thing ;D

>

> **Weapons:** Greatsword and Longbow

> **Equipment** Berserkers or any other equip (like if you need vitality for example) after you get 30% base critical damage

> **Traits:**

> - Radiance: 3-3-3

> - Virtues: 1-2-3

> - Dragonhunter: 1-2-3 (go 1-2-2 if you want your arrows to knockback the target for even more safety)

> **Skills** Litany of Wrath, Test of Faith, Procession of Blades, Dragon's Maw

>

> How to play?

> 1. Longbow: Ideal for trash mobs! Hit Spear of Justice, then True Shot. You will hit about 12k damage if you have Aegis up, which will be enough to kill a trash monster! If not just auto another shot. After you kill your Spear of Justice will REFRESH and you can do the "combo" again, over and over. Thats the basic Longbow trick

> 2. Greatsword: You leap (or don't) to you enemy, use Dragon's Maw, then Symbol of Wrath than the other 2 traps in quick sucession, and then do Whrilling Wrath to hit over 30k damage (try to do it as fast as possible). If you want to "invencible", make sure to tap Litany of Wrath as soon as you finish you Dragon's Maw trap! With this you can kill everything in your path very very easily!2.

>

> Try it out and tell me what you think ;)

>

I've been playing this build for so long, thank you so much for it <3 Just a question, can I use a sword and shield instead of a longbow?

• 1 month later...

> @"TheHomeButton.4196" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > **Try this out!**

> > There's na importante tip that many ppl here forgets: What is viable in Raids is not Always viable in Open World PVE!

> > So i invite you to try out the way i play Guardian (and feast on PvE Content)

> > With this build you can:

> >

> > - Kill trash mobs in 2 seconds

> > - Tag meta-events targets with no effort at all (Like Silverwastes, Dragon's Stand, Istan, etc)

> > - Be safe from harm when ranging

> > - UNMATCHED Burst damage in the window of 5 seconds, which means you can 100-0 a veteran mob while recovering over 3000 HP/sec with my build!

> > - Looks cool, shinny and sparkling, which is the most importante thing ;D

> >

> > **Weapons:** Greatsword and Longbow

> > **Equipment** Berserkers or any other equip (like if you need vitality for example) after you get 30% base critical damage

> > **Traits:**

> > - Radiance: 3-3-3

> > - Virtues: 1-2-3

> > - Dragonhunter: 1-2-3 (go 1-2-2 if you want your arrows to knockback the target for even more safety)

> > **Skills** Litany of Wrath, Test of Faith, Procession of Blades, Dragon's Maw

> >

> > How to play?

> > 1. Longbow: Ideal for trash mobs! Hit Spear of Justice, then True Shot. You will hit about 12k damage if you have Aegis up, which will be enough to kill a trash monster! If not just auto another shot. After you kill your Spear of Justice will REFRESH and you can do the "combo" again, over and over. Thats the basic Longbow trick

> > 2. Greatsword: You leap (or don't) to you enemy, use Dragon's Maw, then Symbol of Wrath than the other 2 traps in quick sucession, and then do Whrilling Wrath to hit over 30k damage (try to do it as fast as possible). If you want to "invencible", make sure to tap Litany of Wrath as soon as you finish you Dragon's Maw trap! With this you can kill everything in your path very very easily!2.

> >

> > Try it out and tell me what you think ;)

> >

>

> I've been playing this build for so long, thank you so much for it <3 Just a question, can I use a sword and shield instead of a longbow?

Sorry for such a late reply, haven't playd GW2 for 2 months. Maybe you already found that out for yourself but if you are going to use Sword and shield then you would have to change all your DH traits, but its viable. Of course you'll take a lil bit more time to kill but the defense that comes with shield are great if you are having trouble enduring hits, specialy ranged attacks