A great community is created by a great bunch of people

Sorry if it is allready posted elsewhere and I missed it, but I ran across this article : https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developers-donate-thousands-after-fan-s-ho-1822299397

Arenanet often calls us the greatest community (and I agree). But a great community is made by a great example and a great bunch of people called Arenannet.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> Sorry if it is allready posted elsewhere and I missed it, but I ran across this article : https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developers-donate-thousands-after-fan-s-ho-1822299397

>

> Arenanet often calls us the greatest community (and I agree). But a great community is made by a great example and a great bunch of people called Arenannet.

Thank you for your kind words, MR. This is something we came together as a studio to undertake. We were very happy to be able to help the family who suffered such a tragic loss and I'm happy to report they are making great strides towards getting things back to normal.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > Sorry if it is allready posted elsewhere and I missed it, but I ran across this article : https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developers-donate-thousands-after-fan-s-ho-1822299397

> >

> > Arenanet often calls us the greatest community (and I agree). But a great community is made by a great example and a great bunch of people called Arenannet.

>

> Thank you for your kind words, MR. This is something we came together as a studio to undertake. We were very happy to be able to help the family who suffered such a tragic loss and I'm happy to report they are making great strides towards getting things back to normal.

That's such a nice gesture. You guys are great! :D

It's great that you did that! :D

Also I think @"mercury ranique.2170" is absolutely right about the community. I often see people saying that (in general) GW2 players are more friendly and helpful than they'd expected after experiences in other games and I think a lot of that is influenced by the game design. Simple things like no kill-stealing and being able to resurrect anyone for free quickly get people into the habit of going to help if you see someone struggling with a fight or downed/dead - because you know you can do some good with no downsides for either of you (except maybe a few seconds of your time), and that habit easily extends to other areas of the game.

It's kind of surprising sometimes. I can be pretty cynical and when I've played a healer in other games I'm very much the "if you stand in red circles you're not my problem" type, but in GW2 I will literally run through fire to save a total stranger. (I mean I'm usually in the fire anyway...but I take the long way out.)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>[...]GW2 players are more friendly and helpful than they'd expected after experiences in other games and I think a lot of that is influenced by the game design. Simple things like no kill-stealing and being able to resurrect anyone for free quickly get people into the habit of going to help if you see someone struggling with a fight or downed/dead - because you know you can do some good with no downsides for either of you (except maybe a few seconds of your time), and that habit easily extends to other areas of the game.

>

> It's kind of surprising sometimes. I can be pretty cynical and when I've played a healer in other games I'm very much the "if you stand in red circles you're not my problem" type, but in GW2 I will literally run through fire to save a total stranger. (I mean I'm usually in the fire anyway...but I take the long way out.)

Totally agree with you. Also the quest-sharing system. In another MMO that I played, I remember once one of my group-mates that told me "don't ress him, so he won't steal us the quest" (talking about another player who was doing the same quest and asked in /say to be invited, to get credit both. My group leader didn't invite him and he died alone). I really felt sorry for him, and sad for playing in such a community. However the karma striked and he found the boss before us and killed it in front of us. So we had to wait 5 minutes for the respawn :)

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> It's kind of surprising sometimes. I can be pretty cynical and when I've played a healer in other games I'm very much the "if you stand in red circles you're not my problem" type, but in GW2 I will literally run through fire to save a total stranger. (I mean I'm usually in the fire anyway...but I take the long way out.)

If I'm not mistaken, I was the recipient of that kindness once, myself. :D As someone who always plays Ranger/Monk in Guild Wars, I like the way you think!

And just in case there was any doubt about how friendly this is I just made a new character and encountered 2 separate mentors waiting in Queensdale to greet and help new players, then when I got to DR someone randomly mailed me a bunch of dyes. :D

(I told them I'm not new and to give the dyes to someone who is.)