Question: Monitor for gw2?

Danny.5681

I am bussy for a while now with a new monitor just for playing gw2 on. I was thinking about a 4k HDR monitor for it, but gw2 doesn't support HDR and 4k bad scaling isn't to good.

But you buy a monitor for a long time and since 2012 I only played gw2 and sometimes some other games, but that isn't much. But looking to the future, should gw2 last 4 years of longer? Maybe then it's worth it to buy an ultrawide monitor without HDR. What do you guys think?

Other thing is that I am a pve player which played a lot of dungeons and now a days a lot of fractals, but do you need a high refreshrate monitor for?

It depends on several aspects. What's the screen size for example, and your budget? What's your hardware capable of?

I am running a GTX1080 and people almost die when I tell them I am playing in 1080p because my monitor, a SAMSUNG TV actually, is still fine and does not need replacement yet.

Budget-wise, I am fine and kinda free, and the GTX1080 is 4K ready, but I am sittin 60cm away from a 27" screen, and apart from some slightly nicer looks, I don't think it's worth in my case. HDR, 60+ Hz and all these things are for hardcore gamers mostly, not needed at all. Nice to have, but surely not worth the money in your situation.

Excelsior.

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> It depends on several aspects. What's the screen size for example, and your budget? What's your hardware capable of?

> I am running a GTX1080 and people almost die when I tell them I am playing in 1080p because my monitor, a SAMSUNG TV actually, is still fine and does not need replacement yet.

>

> Budget-wise, I am fine and kinda free, and the GTX1080 is 4K ready, but I am sittin 60cm away from a 27" screen, and apart from some slightly nicer looks, I don't think it's worth in my case. HDR, 60+ Hz and all these things are for hardcore gamers mostly, not needed at all. Nice to have, but surely not worth the money in your situation.

>

> Excelsior.

Tv's make for really bad monitors, most of them have really bad response time so you will be constantly ghosting like there is no tomorrow. A lot of them also suffer from massive input lag, from all those post processing features, which is not good for gaming as things will happen on the screen with delay.

My hardware is capable of running full HD with no problem. If I want to go for a new monitor then I have to upgrade the gpu too. I was thinking 27 inc hdr 4k or just go ultrawide 34/35 inc. But I don't know for how long I will be satisfied with the monitor because I don't know when gw3 will hit the market.

I'm using a pair of Dell monitors that I've had for ... I don't know how long. Certainly I didn't buy new ones with my current computer, which I bought in April 2014, and my previous computer was probably 3 years old when I replaced it. They do a fine job with my GeForce GTX 780, which runs GW2 on max settings even in zergs at world bosses. I'll probably update my equipment some time this year, but so long as what I have works I'm in no rush -- I tend to get good quality stuff every 3 to 4 years rather than constantly replace cheap things yearly.

So I'd say don't get something super expensive and nice for GW2's sake, only get it if you're using it for other applications that benefit from it, games or otherwise (my mom does some serious Photoshop processing and needs super monitors for it, eg).

@Danny.5681 check this one out from newegg on sale right now and also (Energystar rated )

Acer

Series

Predator XB1

Model

XB241H (UM.FX1AA.001)

it has lots of kick and will last you a long time for gaming . unlike some out dated dell suggestions this will keep you up on the game for a long time to come

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009908

and for the price its well worth it

> @"Gabbynot.2654" said:

> unlike some out dated dell suggestions this will keep you up on the game for a long time to come

To be clear I wasn't specifically recommending Dell, only saying that I have some fairly old 27" - ish monitors that happen to be Dell and are still working fine for the game. My point was that GW2 doesn't require the super duper bestest most newest monitors and thus OP shouldn't splurge just for this one game's sake.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> > @"Gabbynot.2654" said:

> > unlike some out dated dell suggestions this will keep you up on the game for a long time to come

> To be clear I wasn't specifically recommending Dell, only saying that I have some fairly old 27" - ish monitors that happen to be Dell and are still working fine for the game. My point was that GW2 doesn't require the super duper bestest most newest monitors and thus OP shouldn't splurge just for this one game's sake.

>

I was reacting on the Acer that Gabbynot recommanded

Dell has some good monitors and they look a lot better on your desk then the Predator series from Acer

> @"Danny.5681" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > GW3 has not been mentioned yet. And we had 5 years notice that GW2 was coming. So I don't think you need factor in a new GW game engine just yet.

>

> So what should you recommand?

I have a pair of Iiyama 27" Black Hawk monitors. Certainly not at the expensive end of the spectrum, but I like the look and the 1ms response time. I don't play any games other than GW2 and they are fine for that.

I went for a 40" 4K monitor. Which admitted, is a bit on the big side (I think viewing may be more comfortable with something in the mid 30s). With the recently added DPI scaling, 4K works pretty good on it - before, the max size of certain elements, like the mini map, was too small for my taste (its max sized seemingly being pixel based, not portion of the screen).

I bought this monitor for other reasons - for gw2, you really don't gain much on this over just a standard 1080P monitor. So I'd suggest you keep that in mind - do you use the computer/monitor for other things? If you stream content, you may really want 4K (vs ultrawide) so that the standard formatted content fills the entire screen. 4K probably is the future - some streaming options for that are already available.

One caveat is that if you run in 4K vs 1080P, all else being equal, your frame rate will be lower because there is more data that is needing to get updated. If you have an old graphics card, it may not even support 4K.

Refresh rate for MMOs is sort of an odd issue. A 60 hz refresh means the screen update is 16 ms. While minimizing that is good, almost certainly you are having a much higher ping times (mine are 100-200 ms typically). When playing games local games (standalone RPG for example), that may be where you notice things more.

I want to use it only for gw2, I thought a faster refreshrate should make stuff like fractals a lot more fluid and a better experience.

Sometimes I play stukk like nfs or gta, but didn't touched it for 4 months now. Only playing gw2 and in the future gw3. But if that takes more then 5 years I could upgrade now with something like an wqhd or 27 inc 2k high refresh rate monitor. But don't know what to do.

Monitors due tend to change more slowly the other technology (though even that has sped up in recent times - going from HD to higher resolutions and HDR)

A consideration is always cost - you can buy something that may be more future proof (because it is cutting edge now), but you are paying more for it. If you don't get any immediate effects, and isn't until 3 years from now you do, you might have been better of buying something cheap now and then buying what is current 3 years from now on those savings.

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> You can't future proof any tech. Five years is an eternity during which any/all devices may become obsolete. Remember when we bought games on CD/DVD?

Monitors are different in that kind. Its just going more slowely until new things comes out. But I thought to buy an 4k HDR 140HZ monitor of making it future proof, but what kind of profit should I have from it when I am only playing gw2.

> @"Danny.5681" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > You can't future proof any tech. Five years is an eternity during which any/all devices may become obsolete. Remember when we bought games on CD/DVD?

>

> Monitors are different in that kind. Its just going more slowely until new things comes out. But I thought to buy an 4k HDR 140HZ monitor of making it future proof, but what kind of profit should I have from it when I am only playing gw2.

It depends what you need, 144hz at 4k seems kinda like a waste of money, literally no pc will be able to pull out that many fps to make use of that refresh rate, maybe on some old games.

To make use of 144hz you need a good pc that can keep stable144+ fps, the higher resolution you have, the more power you neeed to keep high fps stable, i wouldn't expect to go past 60fps in most modern games at 4k, if you want to keep any decent graphics settings.

On top of that gw2 is badly optimized, if there are people around you doing things, expect to be bellow 60fps.

Even double 1080, will not be able to manage to go high at 4k, if you want to use decent graphics settings.

Very few games will play 144hz at 4k, not to mention 4k 144hz monitors are super expensive, you are better off putting that money into pc upgrades instead.

**To use your refresh rate, you need high fps, to have high fps you need a strong pc, high resolutions destroy your fps, even more so if you want to play them at high settings.. Only non demanding games will ever run at 4k 144hz with current pc hardware that we can buy. At the end of the day it comes down to what do you want? Smooth high refresh rate or fancy looking resolution, having both is difficult and expensive.**

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> You can't future proof any tech. Five years is an eternity during which any/all devices may become obsolete. Remember when we bought games on CD/DVD?

My PC is now soon 6 years old (bought it at GW2 release) and I still can play almost every game with full details with mostly 30-60 fps (only 1080p though which is mostly fine). But I also invested about 2k € in it.