Alacrity and Phantasm changes discussion

Hackuuna.4085

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Levetty.1279" said:

> Holy kitten, I thought it might be something big since they said they were going to announce it before hand but I didn't actually expect they would go through with something this big.

>

> Also since this semi confirms they do secretly read this board. *waves*

Yeah I'm also kinda hyped that the changes are this big and that they finally want to improve active gameplay.

> @"Me Games Ma.8426" said:

> > @"Levetty.1279" said:

> > Holy kitten, I thought it might be something big since they said they were going to announce it before hand but I didn't actually expect they would go through with something this big.

> >

> > Also since this semi confirms they do secretly read this board. *waves*

>

> Yeah I'm also kinda hyped that the changes are this big and that they finally want to improve active gameplay.

Yep, it's a good thing.

Honestly I'm expecting most of the changes to be significantly undertuned on release. I'm expecting power mesmer dps to take a big hit, quickness and alacrity to be exceedingly hard to maintain, and phantasms to be generally pretty meh. However, I'm hoping that they'll make good on their statement to monitor the changes and feedback and implement adjustments as necessary.

Skill/trait changes from the thread:

Phantasmal Fury stays the same

Chronophantasma lets the Phantasm attack twice before becoming a clone.

Signet of the Ether's passive has been changed and heals when illusions are summoned. Active the same.

Disenchanter removes multiple boons and deal significantly more damage.

> @"BrokenGlass.9356" said:

> > @"Lalainnia.3598" said:

> > Thats a good question what will alacrity convert to

>

>

> Slow. Cause it makes sense.

>

> Chill, cause it's the reverse.

It's going to be funny when scourge converts it to alacrity and spams their f keys even faster now. lmao

> @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > @"Me Games Ma.8426" said:

> > > @"Levetty.1279" said:

> > > Holy kitten, I thought it might be something big since they said they were going to announce it before hand but I didn't actually expect they would go through with something this big.

> > >

> > > Also since this semi confirms they do secretly read this board. *waves*

> >

> > Yeah I'm also kinda hyped that the changes are this big and that they finally want to improve active gameplay.

>

> Yep, it's a good thing.

>

> Honestly I'm expecting most of the changes to be significantly undertuned on release. I'm expecting power mesmer dps to take a big hit, quickness and alacrity to be exceedingly hard to maintain, and phantasms to be generally pretty meh. However, I'm hoping that they'll make good on their statement to monitor the changes and feedback and implement adjustments as necessary.

Pretty much what I think it's going to be like. What I'm puzzled by is why we still have phantasms being mentioned or summoned at all, it seems like a long way to do what? Not have to change tool tips? Reduce the number of changes? Be able to diversify traits?

I dunno I just think they should take the plunge and have mesmers only summon clones and simplify it to clone generating skills and clone consuming skills.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> > @"BrokenGlass.9356" said:

> > > @"Lalainnia.3598" said:

> > > Thats a good question what will alacrity convert to

> >

> >

> > Slow. Cause it makes sense.

> >

> > Chill, cause it's the reverse.

>

> It's going to be funny when scourge converts it to alacrity and spams their f keys even faster now. lmao

Something tells me that Chill will still flip to Resistance, but I can't be certain of that, since they announced the boon/condition conversion tables will be getting some changes.

However, a Scourge with the proper trait *will* be able to get Alacrity by stripping it off of others. This trait directly competes with Sand Savant, so if they can do this, they have much lower radius on Shade skills and lower Shade uptime.

> @"Exciton.8942" said:

> Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

>

> The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

I think this could make party upkeep easier though, considering we can share it from boon rotations. Of course I'm saying this before I see the actual numbers so idk XD

> @"Exciton.8942" said:

> Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

>

> The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

> @"musu.9205" said:

> > @"Exciton.8942" said:

> > Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

> >

> > The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

>

> the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

>

> btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

> do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

So...in laymen's terms - what is this going to mean for open world GS chrono user?

I've been running a build my friend made for me for a few months now. I've only been *playing* for a couple months. I've FINALLY figured out how to use my mesmer and not just die to any legendary. I've mostly avoided shatters except for a few situations - F1 removes a condition from me. F3 helps breakbars. F4 is 'ohs**dontkillme'.

I've found that phantasms do more damage, which is nice against even smaller enemies. Getting a bit overwhelmed with one of the DS meta bosses while your allies are going down? Throw down the GS 4 and let that phantasm take care of them while I revive an ally.

Got a lot going on? I throw down all of my wells, timed with each other so that I get a burst of alacrity and each well (and skill) comes off cooldown in time.

I haven't even touched fractals, dungeons or raids. And a lot of this is going above my head. So phantasms are going to be completely useless for more than a split second or two of uptime. Basically, they'll summon and then get interrupted and die. Or they'll attack and die. Which really doesn't take much time for large group events like DS or VB metas. So the balance is shifting towards clones being the thing you want to have out now, not phantasms. Because what purpose is a phantasm if it's just going to die within a couple of seconds and your own cooldown is longer than that anyway?

I wish we had more information on what the "other" changes are going to be. I enjoy playing power-Chrono in open world. I enjoy using the great sword with the occasional sword/shield for extra attacks in between cooldowns. If I wanted to play Condi, I'd go play my Soulbeast ranger or my Rev.

I guess these changes are just confusing me. I'm neutral for them for now, until I figure out what it means for my situation. But not understanding it is leaving me disappointed. Open world stuff is still quite a bit different than PVP, WvW, and even raids. I don't always have the luxury of another party member's support boons, or having the optimal setup. Sometimes you just deal with what you got.

Also, these alacrity changes confuse me too. I barely understand how alacrity works still, all I know is spam wells and shatters = alacrity = people happy and cooldowns come up faster. I don't do numbers, I have dyscalculia, and it just overwhelms me. I play for fun, but changing up everything I spent the past few months grueling out trying to learn from level 1 is just annoying.

> @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > @"musu.9205" said:

> > > @"Exciton.8942" said:

> > > Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

> > >

> > > The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

> >

> > the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

> >

> > btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

> > do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

>

> Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

well chrono will be dead since it will have no real sustain damage .

> @"musu.9205" said:

> > @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > > @"musu.9205" said:

> > > > @"Exciton.8942" said:

> > > > Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

> > > >

> > > > The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

> > >

> > > the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

> > >

> > > btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

> > > do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

> >

> > Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

>

> well chrono will be dead since it will have no real sustain damage .

>

>

Not really? You never left phantasms alive anyway, you either shatter them or they died. This just means they do more before they die.

> @"tartarus.1082" said:

> > @"musu.9205" said:

> > > @"Exciton.8942" said:

> > > Seems to be very significant nerf to alacrity. Less up time. Less effectiveness. Vulnerable to boon stirp/convert.

> > >

> > > The only plus is that you invest in boon duration to get its uptime back.

> >

> > the problem isnt the alacrity uptime the problem is after changes to tot and phantasm , chrono quickness rotation will even be much slower , while it can still get 100% quickness and alacrity it may not worth it anymore consider 100% quickness firebrand is 25k dps around .

> >

> > btw phantasm seems pretty good , but until i saw this : the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.

> > do anet knows what buff means . idefender one is a huge nerf to pvp chrono

>

> Tbh pvp chrono as it is now likely won't exist anymore. Especially since chronophantasma was the primary trait the build was based on.

The traditional condition chrono is definitely dead with the change to phantasm.

But it will probably be an overall buff to power burst with new phantasm skills.

Alacrity as a boon in PvP can be a problem though. With the abundance of scourges, and alacrity being corrupted into chill, it could work more against you than in your favor.

Wow. I've been calling for phantasms to be changed to utility summons for a while now, but I never believed ANet would actually change them, much less so significantly. I'm excited to see the full list of changes, and I hope that ANet takes the feedback seriously and tunes them appropriately a few weeks after this balance patch is released.

Alacrity changes sound like shit honestly. Even at 25%, its far too powerful to be a boon, and losing quickness on ToT is awful imo. Especially considering that alacrity is weaker now, and that they are adding more sources of it (not to mention our current sources will have double duration in raids due to concentration), I would rather keep the quickness, as its more useful than a weakened alacrity. This just feels like an underhanded way to nerf chrono shield more than anything else. Leave ToT alone.

> @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> I think that if it's implemented well, this change to phantasms could be one of the best things for the mesmer class since launch.

>

> The alacrity change is kinda whatever. Chrono will still probably provide 100% uptime, so the only change will be dps benchmarks going down a bit.

it doesnt change alacrity but could affect quickness since, shield 5 quickness swap to alacrity now..

I'm overall excited for these changes as I much rather enjoy playing more interactive shattering builds, even in pve.

However, I am also concerned people who are new to the game and play base mesmer are going to get hit pretty hard.

Additionally, with that said, know nerfs are:

1. tides of time no longer produces quickness

2. alacrity can now be corrupted

3. Alacrity at 33% reduced skill recharges by 25%. Alacrity at 25% reduces skill recharges by 20%. This means alacrity is getting nerfed by 20%.

4. Chronophantasm no longer helps with illusion upkeep and illusionary reversion is still nerfed because of it.

> @"Xstein.2187" said:

> I'm overall excited for these changes as I much rather enjoy playing more interactive shattering builds, even in pve.

>

> However, I am also concerned people who are new to the game and play base mesmer are going to get hit pretty hard.

> Additionally, with that said, know nerfs are:

> 1. tides of time no longer produces quickness

> 2. alacrity can now be corrupted

> 3. Alacrity at 33% reduced skill recharges by 25%. Alacrity at 25% reduces skill recharges by 20%. This means alacrity is getting nerfed by 20%.

> 4. Chronophantasm no longer helps with illusion upkeep and illusionary reversion is still nerfed because of it.

Chronophantasma is going to be changed regardless. Phantasms can't be shattered after these changes, so that trait cannot remain the same. Wait to see what its changed to before you complain about it.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Xstein.2187" said:

> > I'm overall excited for these changes as I much rather enjoy playing more interactive shattering builds, even in pve.

> >

> > However, I am also concerned people who are new to the game and play base mesmer are going to get hit pretty hard.

> > Additionally, with that said, know nerfs are:

> > 1. tides of time no longer produces quickness

> > 2. alacrity can now be corrupted

> > 3. Alacrity at 33% reduced skill recharges by 25%. Alacrity at 25% reduces skill recharges by 20%. This means alacrity is getting nerfed by 20%.

> > 4. Chronophantasm no longer helps with illusion upkeep and illusionary reversion is still nerfed because of it.

>

> Chronophantasma is going to be changed regardless. Phantasms can't be shattered after these changes, so that trait cannot remain the same. Wait to see what its changed to before you complain about it.

Gee already said that chronophantasma will now make phantasms attack twice before turning into a clone instead of once.