2 hours left - no preload

Razor.6392

Yeah it's a bit strange that we don't have preload. In comparison, World of Warcraft gives you weeks ahead of a content patch release to download it (because it's 4-5 GB or even more). And we don't have any preload yet - how big is PoF? I mean it's an expansion and those tend to have several GB, maybe 10-20GB? It will be a mess for the download servers if all of the players have to start downloading it at the same time.

> @Hesacon.8735 said:

> We downloaded the bulk of assets two months ago before the betas. The only thing in today is adjustments and bug fixes.

We already got the specs and at least 1 map, but somehow I doubt that's all.

The cinematics, story, other maps and stuff, what about that? That's the heaviest load gb wise.

I think we may run into another issue as well. Fidus has parked the airship in Lion's Arch. Asuming the adventure starts there, tons and tons of people might flood LA after the download. I remember from previous patches that some people were unable to log characters, which have been left on a over-crowded map. The hoelbrak issue in particular, when all people wanted to enter Eir's Homested.

In order to prevent that problem, I removed all my characters from LA.

HoT was one of the smoothest expac launches for pretty much all MMOs I've ever played. I believe that PoF will launch with only minor hiccups today. I am sure we'll see at least 2-3 patches before the end of the day (I am sure someone will find a way to break the game in a creative way before days end), but it should be relatively playable. I think part of the lack of preload as well as the morning launch time is partly designed to minimize the peak load on the starting areas, as large part of the player base will be at work and/or spend time downloading the patch.