Conquest is Too Complicated for PUGS

shadowpass.4236

> @"Saiyan.1704" said:

> Games made specifically with PvP in mind will have all kinds of tutorial modes and single player practice maps.

>

> MMORPG games are PvE first and foremost. PvP is just a by-product...GW2 is no exception.

that is why gw1 was so good... it was a true online pvp game, gw2 isnt.

> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

>

> However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

>

> # Question:

> _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

>

> # Answer:

> _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

>

> This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

A worse factor that destroys conquest is poor empathy and teamplay. The blame game. 'Its not me its him'

• 4 weeks later...

> In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

>

> However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

>

> # Question:

> _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

>

> # Answer:

> _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

>

> This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> >

> > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> >

> > # Question:

> > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> >

> > # Answer:

> > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> >

> > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

>

> Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

> > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > >

> > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > >

> > > # Question:

> > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > >

> > > # Answer:

> > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > >

> > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> >

> > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

>

> I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

> > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > > >

> > > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > > >

> > > > # Question:

> > > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > > >

> > > > # Answer:

> > > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > > >

> > > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> > >

> > > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> >

> > I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

>

> exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

I think you completely misunderstood what I just said.

The methods I used to learn how to play conquest are no longer in the game in any meaningful way, shape, or form.

People should not still be "learning" in platinum. Yet I come across many people who still have no idea what to do.

There is really only a handful of true platinum/legendary players in the game right now. The others may be above average mechanically, but many still have no idea how to play conquest effectively.

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > > > >

> > > > > # Question:

> > > > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > > > >

> > > > > # Answer:

> > > > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > > > >

> > > > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> > > >

> > > > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> > >

> > > I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

> >

> > exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

>

> I think you completely misunderstood what I just said.

>

> The methods I used to learn how to play conquest are no longer in the game in any meaningful way, shape, or form.

The answer therefore is not tutorials, its finding a way for pugs to play with people..accept there is that, but some people are too arrogant and full of themselves with no patience or ability to empathize to realise that others are on different points on the learning curve and thats ok (not referring to you here)

put it this way player Y has a skill level of say 10/100. Player X with a skill level of 30 looks down his nose at those level 10 players and declare they are terrible and should not play until they have learned etc etc, but lo, the player with skill level of 50 says the same about the level 30 player. 2 years later mr level 10 is now level 30 and so on and so forth. the issue is not the player with the poor skill level, its those players with the arrogant attitude that cannot empathize or relate to their own learning journey.

> > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > # Question:

> > > > > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > > > > >

> > > > > > # Answer:

> > > > > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> > > >

> > > > I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

> > >

> > > exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

> >

> > I think you completely misunderstood what I just said.

> >

> > The methods I used to learn how to play conquest are no longer in the game in any meaningful way, shape, or form.

>

> The answer therefore is not tutorials, its finding a way for pugs to play with people..accept there is that, but some people are too arrogant and full of themselves with no patience or ability to empathize to realise that others are on different points on the learning curve and thats ok (not referring to you here)

>

> put it this way player Y has a skill level of say 10/100. Player X with a skill level of 30 looks down his nose at those level 10 players and declare they are terrible and should not play until they have learned etc etc, but lo, the player with skill level of 50 says the same about the level 30 player. 2 years later mr level 10 is now level 30 and so on and so forth. the issue is not the player with the poor skill level, its those players with the arrogant attitude that cannot empathize or relate to their own learning journey.

The solution is to leave Conquest for 5 man groups only, because it requires coordination that 99 times out of 100, you will not find with randoms.

Introducing 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 deathmatch gamemodes will be easier to rank players based on their skill. A 1v5 is impossible to carry on a large map with points. A 1v3 is manageable and possible to win in the higher levels of play.

It's just the type of player they are. Skilled PvP isn't meant for everyone.

Casuals don't like overly challenging, skillful, fast-paced gameplay, or gameplay with too many factors. While GW2 PvP isn't crazy in any of those, it's still a niche style of gameplay.

If they did, games like Arena/Twitch-action Shooters, Fighters, or RTSs--games with very specific niches would dominate...However, as you can tell, easier (slower, more casual friendly) games like MOBAs or Battle Royales that can be played on smartphones succeed in both popularity and population.

Sure you may have a large audience for those non-casual games, but it no where near compares to the casual delight. The majority of "gamers" like to think they skillful when the game actually plays for them, when they actually have to think about it...they don't bother and sometimes try to cheese it.

GW2 PvP is no exception. You can't teach them to "git gud" if they don't want to...only thing you can do is make the gameplay too easy from the start and hope it sticks.

> > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > # Question:

> > > > > > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > # Answer:

> > > > > > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> > > > >

> > > > > I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

> > > >

> > > > exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

> > >

> > > I think you completely misunderstood what I just said.

> > >

> > > The methods I used to learn how to play conquest are no longer in the game in any meaningful way, shape, or form.

> >

> > The answer therefore is not tutorials, its finding a way for pugs to play with people..accept there is that, but some people are too arrogant and full of themselves with no patience or ability to empathize to realise that others are on different points on the learning curve and thats ok (not referring to you here)

> >

> > put it this way player Y has a skill level of say 10/100. Player X with a skill level of 30 looks down his nose at those level 10 players and declare they are terrible and should not play until they have learned etc etc, but lo, the player with skill level of 50 says the same about the level 30 player. 2 years later mr level 10 is now level 30 and so on and so forth. the issue is not the player with the poor skill level, its those players with the arrogant attitude that cannot empathize or relate to their own learning journey.

>

> The solution is to leave Conquest for 5 man groups only, because it requires coordination that 99 times out of 100, you will not find with randoms.

>

> Introducing 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 deathmatch gamemodes will be easier to rank players based on their skill. A 1v5 is impossible to carry on a large map with points. A 1v3 is manageable and possible to win in the higher levels of play.

Ugly martyr syndrome is a term I coin for players who cant handle pvp with weaker players. 'omg I carried them', 'oh my god they were so bad'.. and so on and so forth - ugly martyr.

Conquest is for all players who want it, having an elitist attitude is a poison that kills pvp. Many many players don't play in groups of 5 - hence why Anet do not prioritise it anymore. The issue is those who don't get pvp is about great fights win or lose, not a win rating i.e cant handle it when they lose and its not under your control and look to blame

As for 5 player teams, they are the minority in a casual game like GW2, and there are tournaments to support those players.

I point to one of the greatest PVP games out there EVE as an example of great PVP attitude. In that game people actively seek out fights with stronger and weaker opponents because its all about the fight, not the win %, thats what PVP is about, not the modern complainers who take offense at everything that doesn't meet personal subjective standards..

> > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > > @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > > > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > > > In order to win in conquest you need a combination of Mechanics and Rotations.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > However, 99% of the players in this gamemode CANNOT do both. Conquest is too complicated for randoms to learn, since learning correct rotations only come from asking experienced players/watching tournaments. There is nothing straightforward or easy to pick up about all the different matchups and how to play the map effectively.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > # Question:

> > > > > > > > _Why doesn't Anet have any tutorials in game about this? Why have they not written any guides for new players to read about how to play Conquest?_

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > # Answer:

> > > > > > > > _It's because they don't know how. Ask an Anet dev to play a match of Conquest at high level and I'd bet money that they won't be able to._

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This game needs to make Conquest 5-man que again. Either that, or introduce 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gamemodes where players don't need to rely on their team to perform.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Ask yourself this, how did you learn to play spvp, and why should it be different for others. Also, there's plenty videos out there that talks in great deal about tactics. If someone is not interested in watching those videos they are not going to stop gameplay to watch videos in game, or worse some form of awful forced tutorials that we learned don't actually work and only annoy over a decade ago. The best way to learn is to play.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I learned through tournaments and playing with an organized team multiple times a day. The former is now reduced to the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours. The latter of which has been completely removed from ranked play.

> > > > >

> > > > > exactly, you didn't attend or watch tutorials, you played. That's how people or 'pugs' learn.

> > > >

> > > > I think you completely misunderstood what I just said.

> > > >

> > > > The methods I used to learn how to play conquest are no longer in the game in any meaningful way, shape, or form.

> > >

> > > The answer therefore is not tutorials, its finding a way for pugs to play with people..accept there is that, but some people are too arrogant and full of themselves with no patience or ability to empathize to realise that others are on different points on the learning curve and thats ok (not referring to you here)

> > >

> > > put it this way player Y has a skill level of say 10/100. Player X with a skill level of 30 looks down his nose at those level 10 players and declare they are terrible and should not play until they have learned etc etc, but lo, the player with skill level of 50 says the same about the level 30 player. 2 years later mr level 10 is now level 30 and so on and so forth. the issue is not the player with the poor skill level, its those players with the arrogant attitude that cannot empathize or relate to their own learning journey.

> >

> > The solution is to leave Conquest for 5 man groups only, because it requires coordination that 99 times out of 100, you will not find with randoms.

> >

> > Introducing 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 deathmatch gamemodes will be easier to rank players based on their skill. A 1v5 is impossible to carry on a large map with points. A 1v3 is manageable and possible to win in the higher levels of play.

>

> Ugly martyr syndrome is a term I coin for players who cant handle pvp with weaker players. 'omg I carried them', 'oh my god they were so bad'.. and so on and so forth - ugly martyr.

Okay cool. LUL

>

> Conquest is for all players who want it, having an elitist attitude is a poison that kills pvp. Many many players don't play in groups of 5 - hence why Anet do not prioritise it anymore. The issue is those who don't get pvp is about great fights win or lose, not a win rating i.e cant handle it when they lose and its not under your control and look to blame

Conquest is for all players who PvP because it's the only supported gamemode. Many, many players did play in groups of 5 because it removed the RNG from winning/losing matches. With teams, it came down to skill rather than the RNG of whose pugs are worse. Judging by the state of balance, there are very few "great fights" to be had. PvP is about winning. That's the goal, to win. If you think every single player has some overarching goal to "have fun" and "play the way they want to" go do some map completion. By definition, it is impossible for a single player to carry 5v5 Conquest. As such, having losses come down to luck rather than skill are frustrating for the players who do what they're supposed to/go above and beyond but lose anyways.

>

> As for 5 player teams, they are the minority in a casual game like GW2, and there are tournaments to support those players.

Pull some statistics for me. ATs are a poor excuse of competition, as are unranked. A competent team of 5 players will 500-0 every single team up until the finals. Then, the finals usually still end up 500-100. ATs are not division gated, hence you'll have a team of bronze players going up against a team of legends. It is not competitive, it is not nearly frequent enough to be taken seriously. If you think the possibility of a single good match every 6 hours is enough for players who don't have the completely "casual" mindset that you think every player _should_ have, you're crazy.

>

> I point to one of the greatest PVP games out there EVE as an example of great PVP attitude. In that game people actively seek out fights with stronger and weaker opponents because its all about the fight, not the win %, thats what PVP is about, not the modern complainers who take offense at everything that doesn't meet personal subjective standards..

GW2 =/= EVE

I hope you realize that the higher your division, the faster you earn rewards. Skins are pretty much the only incentive to play GW2 atm and wins give more than losses. So yeah, it's pretty much about the win %. Sorry us "modern complainers" want to have balanced matches with friends like we've been doing since release. Ya know, till "out-of-date complainers" like yourself petitioned for it to be removed. Not to mention that the polls for the removal of 5 man/duo que were taken _before_ the playerbase realized how much of a negative effect it would have on the quality of the gamemode/population.

In regards to your first post, like 2 to 3 weeks ago one of the devs posted his image of reaching platinum 3 while playin an ELE. (And it's not the best meta class actually)

I am pretty sure at least some of them know conquest better than most of us (probably better than everybody since a lot of pros left the game).

Funny how people forget things really fast and dont bother do a little research before spouting random assertions.

> @"polvere.2805" said:

> In regards to your first post, like 2 to 3 weeks ago one of the devs posted his image of reaching platinum 3 while playin an ELE. (And it's not the best meta class actually)

>

> I am pretty sure at least some of them know conquest better than most of us (probably better than everybody since a lot of pros left the game).

> Funny how people forget things really fast and dont bother do a little research before spouting random assertions.

Cmc was a PvPer before he started working for Anet iirc.

I know Cmc and have played with him in the past. The fact of the matter is, 5v5 Conquest is hard to learn to play properly and requires more coordination to win than you'll get with randoms.

Well i strongly support your idea of giving back 5 vs 5 with a TOTAL different rating than solo queues. Like team rank and solo/duo rank.

To me it's right that if you are a pro solo player then you are expected to win also matches where you have poor teammates with your guidance and insight. Also let's not forget that not all the matches are with bad players. So sometimes it's easier for you sometimes it's harder, but if you are a real elite then it's when the things get harder that is your time to shine. My 2 cents.

In team queue instead you should have a totally different attitude and that's why there should be two different queues.

In regards to why they will NEVER do it: The pvp population is too low to sustain this. Probably team queue will be abandoned because it will require ages of matchmaking. If a team of legends queues you can't really put them against a team of silvers, it would be a landslide. Maybe there will be like 5 to 10 team of legends = gg 20 mins matchmaking

Why can't they just have both like every other game?

Team Q separate from solo Q.

Done.

Q times may go up but that's a small price to pay for more balanced matchmaking.

They could even add a separate check box for solo Q to select should they want to volunteer as an extra in teamQ. Have a rank requirement and bonus rewards. Help speed up Q times for teams of 4 etc.

Every thread I read about this here devolves into soloQ vs teamQ. The entire idea is that they exist in tandem to accommodate everyone. No one's ever once suggested removing one or the other.