GW2 Has Become The New WOW

Adry.7512

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > From a profit and competitive PvP standpoint, Blade and Soul are about even if not completely surpassing GW2 despite GW2 being advertised more (from my perspective).

> > > >

> > > > the lastest reports i've seen GW2 is out performing alot of the newer games in terms of active population. a few games beat it, ff14, and wow of course. but as far as blade and soul, revelation online and black desert, gw2 has more active population. the report was based on dec 2017 stats.

> > >

> > > Every game you listed is beating GW2 revenue-wise by a lot, so I wouldn't conclude that GW2 has a much bigger playerbase.

> > >

> > > And no, it's not the new WoW, not even close. GW2 expansions devolved TREMENDOUSLY, to the point where I would call them DLCs and not real expansions. WoW pumps out more endgame content in a random patch than GW2 does in an expansion.

> > >

> > > GW2 is also dropping the ball when it comes to anything other than open world PvE. The game is regressing a lot these days.

> >

> > Lol if you are looking for dlc go play eso. The expansions gw2 drops are actual expansions. As for the wow updates having more content than gw2 ye i guess the patch that droped the expac in wow had more content idd. Also revelation online LUL

>

> Please tell me how GW2 expansions aren't glorified living story chapters.

>

> **Things living story does**: open world maps and story.

>

> **Things expansions do**: open world maps and story.

>

> **Things missing that should be included** (if it's not there on day 1 of the launch it's not part of the expansions, sorry):

> * Dungeons

> * Fractals

> * Raids

> * PvP content

> * WvW content

> * Guild content

>

> GW2 expansions lack the most important thing what MMO expansions are supposed to deliver - replayable team content. Some of it was straight up dropped by Anet and will never be revisited again.

True if WoW would release an expansion with the amount or rather lack of content, replay-ability, new skins, classes, continents, quests, story, class overhauls, dungeons, raids, pvp modes, items etc people would completely lose their minds about it.

But WoW is not GW2. GW2 has a casual audience for the most part, that maybe plays 1-2 hours each 2 or 3 days in a week. Almost none of these people will ever venture to some forum post and write about it. And these people seem to be fine with the amount of what GW2 has to offer for them as new content each few months and every 2 years with a new expac

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> >

> > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

>

> The data for WoW is also very distorted. It had a great fanbase for similar games, Blizzard already had a good reputation and there was barely any competition, especially if you wanted an U.S. game and not something from Asia (e.g. Final Fantasy XI). If you have no real choice like today, where F2P MMOs mushroom and you can choose between like 5 high-quality games, of course you get the highest market share.

>

> It has many players because it did something right and people got hooked en masse, but also dropped the game very quick with a certain expansion pack. Not sure if that is loayality or just the lack of choice. GW2 is "being born" into a different time than WoW. Guess why IBM grew so big. Surely not because they were super duper awesome. Lack of competitors.

None of this makes my point any less valid or true.

As for finding reasons why WoW still has such a large player base, my opinion is that it is due to it just being a great game. I recently started playing again due to the direction GW2 has been going. I enjoy WoW more than GW2, and it has nothing to do with any prior time investment in WoW.

> @"CptAurellian.9537" said:

> What's the point of all this "the next WoW (killer)" anyway? We've been hearing this for a long time with regard to many new MMOs and none of them managed to come even close to WoW's success. I'm confident that won't change in the foreseeable future. Blizzard were extremely lucky to release the right game at the right time, now they still benefit from those amazing start conditions. With a stagnating or declining MMO market in general, there is just no space for a new WoW.

There is no need to say WOW killer. That is irrelevant. I’m speaking in terms of player choice. A lot of people have moved away from WOW and even hardcore WOW lovers have grown to dislike it. It’s a dated game and it’s become bland and basic. Now GW2 may not make huge revenue but it’s a go to nowadays for mmo players. There is no such thing as a WOW killer because no one cares to beat WOW anymore, what I said is “go to”.

> @"Adry.7512" said:

> > @"CptAurellian.9537" said:

> > What's the point of all this "the next WoW (killer)" anyway? We've been hearing this for a long time with regard to many new MMOs and none of them managed to come even close to WoW's success. I'm confident that won't change in the foreseeable future. Blizzard were extremely lucky to release the right game at the right time, now they still benefit from those amazing start conditions. With a stagnating or declining MMO market in general, there is just no space for a new WoW.

>

> There is no need to say WOW killer. That is irrelevant. I’m speaking in terms of player choice. A lot of people have moved away from WOW and even hardcore WOW lovers have grown to dislike it. It’s a dated game and it’s become bland and basic. Now GW2 may not make huge revenue but it’s a go to nowadays for mmo players. There is no such thing as a WOW killer because no one cares to beat WOW anymore, what I said is “go to”.

Yes and no. Yes, you're probably right new mmos no longer try to beat WoW, as no peasant can beat a god. But it's not true that GW2 is a go to alternative. New competition is rising, new mmos are on the horizon and GW2 is old game. We are long after the peak of interest for GW2, game is absent in gaming media or general player communities. Unlike WoW, which is talked about even by people who never played it. I don't think GW2 is going to grow anymore. It's about sustaining current players to survive now.

There has been, and never will be, another game that will be the "new WoW". Even if WoW 2 released, it wouldn't be that.

WoW was just a product of its time. I can't really put into words the perfect storm that the market, hype and Blizzard's own popularity managed to create at that particular time, but once the game had released there was really no chance of anything (even another Blizz product) ever doing what happened there again.

It is entirely possibly that GW2 is the current most popular MMO out; that I have no clue on. Could be this, or FFXIV, or maybe still WoW. Dunno. But a "new WoW" will probably never happen again using this current medium.

> @"Adry.7512" said:

> What do you guys think?? Considering the fact that WOW was at its peak when there was zero competition on the market. I’d say that Guild Wars 2 is starting to become the go to when it comes to mmorpgs.

>

> Edit: in terms of revenue GW2 has never been the money hoarding type so guys let’s not talk about revenue because you and I both know they can make loads more. Also no one cares about wow killers, no one cares to beat wow anymore. What I mean is that GW2 has become a go to for mmo players.

From a design perspective, WOW relies on its massive player base to create its dynamic adventures while GW2 has a bit more control over that aspect with living world and stuff...which can be viewed as both positive and negative. it also gives more freedom to players to participate in activities and actively play an important role in events while WOW tends to keep a person playing for progression in level by locking both story (if there is an active story) and pvp (I mean who loves getting ganked by a skull hordie at stranglethorn).

Where I do wow credit is its music and landscapes that really give the player that feeling of being more involved...especially in stranglethorn..

In a way GW2 is still a "goto" game for me. I stopped playing but I loved the original Guild Wars, had high hopes for GW2 and I stop by (goto?) the forums every now and then, hoping GW2 turned more GW-like. (Never does, quite the opposite actually, but thats ok: Seems to be what the current players prefer.)

As for "go to game to play when my primary MMO is offline"... GW2 is not it. Forums are fine. Game itself is no longer relevant to me.

> @"Damocles.4908" said:

> > @"Adry.7512" said:

> > What do you guys think?? Considering the fact that WOW was at its peak when there was zero competition on the market. I’d say that Guild Wars 2 is starting to become the go to when it comes to mmorpgs.

> >

> > Edit: in terms of revenue GW2 has never been the money hoarding type so guys let’s not talk about revenue because you and I both know they can make loads more. Also no one cares about wow killers, no one cares to beat wow anymore. What I mean is that GW2 has become a go to for mmo players.

>

> From a design perspective, WOW relies on its massive player base to create its dynamic adventures while GW2 has a bit more control over that aspect with living world and stuff...which can be viewed as both positive and negative. it also gives more freedom to players to participate in activities and actively play an important role in events while WOW tends to keep a person playing for progression in level by locking both story (if there is an active story) and pvp (I mean who loves getting ganked by a skull hordie at stranglethorn).

>

> Where I do wow credit is its music and landscapes that really give the player that feeling of being more involved...especially in stranglethorn..

I’ll have to disagree on landscape. GW2 maps have the most detailed and imaginative landscape in any mmo out there to be honest.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > From a profit and competitive PvP standpoint, Blade and Soul are about even if not completely surpassing GW2 despite GW2 being advertised more (from my perspective).

> > > >

> > > > the lastest reports i've seen GW2 is out performing alot of the newer games in terms of active population. a few games beat it, ff14, and wow of course. but as far as blade and soul, revelation online and black desert, gw2 has more active population. the report was based on dec 2017 stats.

> > >

> > > Every game you listed is beating GW2 revenue-wise by a lot, so I wouldn't conclude that GW2 has a much bigger playerbase.

> > >

> > > And no, it's not the new WoW, not even close. GW2 expansions devolved TREMENDOUSLY, to the point where I would call them DLCs and not real expansions. WoW pumps out more endgame content in a random patch than GW2 does in an expansion.

> > >

> > > GW2 is also dropping the ball when it comes to anything other than open world PvE. The game is regressing a lot these days.

> >

> > Lol if you are looking for dlc go play eso. The expansions gw2 drops are actual expansions. As for the wow updates having more content than gw2 ye i guess the patch that droped the expac in wow had more content idd. Also revelation online LUL

>

>

>

>

> **Things missing that should be included** (if it's not there on day 1 of the launch it's not part of the expansions, sorry):

> * Dungeons

> * Fractals

> * Raids

> * PvP content

> * WvW content

> * Guild content

>

> GW2 expansions lack the most important thing what MMO expansions are supposed to deliver - replayable team content. Some of it was straight up dropped by Anet and will never be revisited again.

Wow expacs dont come with a day 1 raid can we call them dlc's too? As for wvw and pvp content these are pve expansions ^^

> @"Chillor.9415" said:

> GW2 will never make a major leap forward without a "Looking for Raid" system. WOW was dying and this feature brought them back their numbers. Even though it is easy mode it lets the casual gamer experience Raiding without the time intensive and toxic PvE environment!

"wow was dying and lfr saved it" ok...

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > From a profit and competitive PvP standpoint, Blade and Soul are about even if not completely surpassing GW2 despite GW2 being advertised more (from my perspective).

> > > > >

> > > > > the lastest reports i've seen GW2 is out performing alot of the newer games in terms of active population. a few games beat it, ff14, and wow of course. but as far as blade and soul, revelation online and black desert, gw2 has more active population. the report was based on dec 2017 stats.

> > > >

> > > > Every game you listed is beating GW2 revenue-wise by a lot, so I wouldn't conclude that GW2 has a much bigger playerbase.

> > > >

> > > > And no, it's not the new WoW, not even close. GW2 expansions devolved TREMENDOUSLY, to the point where I would call them DLCs and not real expansions. WoW pumps out more endgame content in a random patch than GW2 does in an expansion.

> > > >

> > > > GW2 is also dropping the ball when it comes to anything other than open world PvE. The game is regressing a lot these days.

> > >

> > > Lol if you are looking for dlc go play eso. The expansions gw2 drops are actual expansions. As for the wow updates having more content than gw2 ye i guess the patch that droped the expac in wow had more content idd. Also revelation online LUL

> >

> > Please tell me how GW2 expansions aren't glorified living story chapters.

> >

> > **Things living story does**: open world maps and story.

> >

> > **Things expansions do**: open world maps and story.

> >

> > **Things missing that should be included** (if it's not there on day 1 of the launch it's not part of the expansions, sorry):

> > * Dungeons

> > * Fractals

> > * Raids

> > * PvP content

> > * WvW content

> > * Guild content

> >

> > GW2 expansions lack the most important thing what MMO expansions are supposed to deliver - replayable team content. Some of it was straight up dropped by Anet and will never be revisited again.

>

> Wow expacs dont come with a day 1 raid can we call them dlc's too? As for wvw and pvp content these are pve expansions ^^

And where are the PvP expansions? The dungeon expansions? huh?

Let me tell you: nowhere, because Anet is cutting down on the scope of GW2 drastically and that is not a good sign. And before you mention it, this "oh they have their own release schedule" is such a made-up excuse.. first of all, they don't, but of course the PvE crowd is quick to bring it up all the time because they are happy with getting 99% of the attention and don't want to share.

The scope is getting smaller till we end up with 1 map expansions where even the vendor trash comes from the gemstore.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > > > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > > From a profit and competitive PvP standpoint, Blade and Soul are about even if not completely surpassing GW2 despite GW2 being advertised more (from my perspective).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > the lastest reports i've seen GW2 is out performing alot of the newer games in terms of active population. a few games beat it, ff14, and wow of course. but as far as blade and soul, revelation online and black desert, gw2 has more active population. the report was based on dec 2017 stats.

> > > > >

> > > > > Every game you listed is beating GW2 revenue-wise by a lot, so I wouldn't conclude that GW2 has a much bigger playerbase.

> > > > >

> > > > > And no, it's not the new WoW, not even close. GW2 expansions devolved TREMENDOUSLY, to the point where I would call them DLCs and not real expansions. WoW pumps out more endgame content in a random patch than GW2 does in an expansion.

> > > > >

> > > > > GW2 is also dropping the ball when it comes to anything other than open world PvE. The game is regressing a lot these days.

> > > >

> > > > Lol if you are looking for dlc go play eso. The expansions gw2 drops are actual expansions. As for the wow updates having more content than gw2 ye i guess the patch that droped the expac in wow had more content idd. Also revelation online LUL

> > >

> > > Please tell me how GW2 expansions aren't glorified living story chapters.

> > >

> > > **Things living story does**: open world maps and story.

> > >

> > > **Things expansions do**: open world maps and story.

> > >

> > > **Things missing that should be included** (if it's not there on day 1 of the launch it's not part of the expansions, sorry):

> > > * Dungeons

> > > * Fractals

> > > * Raids

> > > * PvP content

> > > * WvW content

> > > * Guild content

> > >

> > > GW2 expansions lack the most important thing what MMO expansions are supposed to deliver - replayable team content. Some of it was straight up dropped by Anet and will never be revisited again.

> >

> > Wow expacs dont come with a day 1 raid can we call them dlc's too? As for wvw and pvp content these are pve expansions ^^

>

> And where are the PvP expansions? The dungeon expansions? huh?

>

> Let me tell you: nowhere, because Anet is cutting down on the scope of GW2 drastically and that is not a good sign. And before you mention it, this "oh they have their own release schedule" is such a made-up excuse.. first of all, they don't, but of course the PvE crowd is quick to bring it up all the time because they are happy with getting 99% of the attention and don't want to share.

>

> The scope is getting smaller till we end up with 1 map expansions where even the vendor trash comes from the gemstore.

Games with diff busniness models tent to have diff scopes that is true. And we can talk abou the last time they added pvp content with the expac and how that went.

> @"Chillor.9415" said:

> GW2 will never make a major leap forward without a "Looking for Raid" system. WOW was dying and this feature brought them back their numbers. Even though it is easy mode it lets the casual gamer experience Raiding without the time intensive and toxic PvE environment!

I'm framing this copypasta.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Chillor.9415" said:

> > GW2 will never make a major leap forward without a "Looking for Raid" system. WOW was dying and this feature brought them back their numbers. Even though it is easy mode it lets the casual gamer experience Raiding without the time intensive and toxic PvE environment!

>

> "wow was dying and lfr saved it" ok... I really like how u twisted that to get your point across about easy modes.

It may be and may not be... There may and may not be...

But how so? In my opinion / vision is like this:

Idea, Execution, Moment and Psychological

It is as if they were steps being inside that there are sub categories.

Exemplifying:

Wow had a great idea and innovated taking advantage of the moment and psychological with a good run. He was inspired by Ultima Online, he innovated by creating a massive, totally 3D open world at a time when 3D was still weak but especially he completely executed everything he wanted.

Apple did the same with the iPhone and iPod. ArenaNet had ideas but it wasted them and did not execute totally, with that the part of the psychological was harmed, in addition gave the more and this is something that does not have to be done (we have examples like FFXIV), so it said that it can or can not .

It is very crazy everything that I said and I do not know if it gave to understand but it is the form that I see.

PS.: Forgive me for the mistakes because I do not speak English.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

> * Dungeons

> * Fractals

> * Raids

> * PvP content

> * WvW content

> * Guild content

>

Oh sorry, which living world update added mounts, especs, handful of stat combinations, a plethora of cosmetics to earn like weapon skins, armor skins, and miniatures?

Also Anet has stated before that they do not bundle pvp/wvw/fractal/raid updates with expansions. They release those on a different schedule. As for dungeons that is dead content. People really need to understand that this content is not going to be seeing updates in the foreseeable future. Fractals are the same as dungeons anyways just with more rewards.

I'd like to start off by saying that GW2 is a great game.

When it started, it was really its own thing, the style, the whole limited grind, the vibe and feel of the game was very new-comer friendly, you felt that the passage of time did not hold you back, where other games had their trenched in masses, GW2 did not feel that way. The best way I could describe it is, it was like this escape MMO for the people that had become burned out on traditional MMOs.

Then.. I don't know, It felt like, at some point, they wanted to be more like everyone else, which, what made them great, was precisely not being like everyone else, so in that front, the fact that it moved away from its core design, kinds tells me that is not the next great thing, it was a great game, a wonderful game, and could have remained a very stand out masterpiece.

i cannot understand why ppl play GW2 if they find that WoW is a better game. YOLO!

Ive been playing MMOs for over 12 years and i NEVER ever liked WoW. Back in WoW Golden days i was playing and supporting Runescape, then in the last 2 years it was SWTOR, and now i found this masterpiece (even with all the bad stuff) that is GW2 and WoW doesnt come even close of beating GW2 in game design. Like not even close.

Those who say that WoW is a better game must not have played it, otherwise how can someone play GW2 combat, then play WoW combat and say WoW is still better? or the dumbed cartoony 1996 graphics, or the subpar landscape, or the Go there and kill some and come back questing system... i could keep going on

clueless

> @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

>

> Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

Best combat? GW2

Best quests? GW2

Less grind? GW2

More fun? GW2

Better graphics? GW2

Cheaper? GW2

More interesting classes? GW2

Best mounts? GW2

i could go on and on

it doesnt need any data because anybody with a brain can see that WoW cannot compete with GW2 in terms of which one is the better game. WoW have much more players, thats a fact, but thats not just because its better or worse, Gw2 as great as it is, sucks at merchandising.

Do us a favor and go play your lovely WoW instead of planting discord here trying to bash GW2 in its own fórum for no reason. And i cant beleive you find WoW combat good in 2018, i just cant