GW2 Has Become The New WOW

Adry.7512

> @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> >

> > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

>

> Best combat? GW2

> Best quests? GW2

> Less grind? GW2

> More fun? GW2

> Better graphics? GW2

> Cheaper? GW2

> More interesting classes? GW2

> Best mounts? GW2

> i could go on and on

And all of these is your subjective opinion having no consequence for other players. WoW wins. Period. It has more players, it earns more money. We love GW2 here but let's not distort reality. Seriously. WoW losing half subs after WoD still had more subs than GW2 players.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> > >

> > > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

> >

> > Best combat? GW2

> > Best quests? GW2

> > Less grind? GW2

> > More fun? GW2

> > Better graphics? GW2

> > Cheaper? GW2

> > More interesting classes? GW2

> > Best mounts? GW2

> > i could go on and on

>

> And all of these is your subjective opinion having no consequence for other players. WoW wins. Period. It has more players, it earns more money. We love GW2 here but let's not distort reality. Seriously. WoW losing half subs after WoD still had more subs than GW2 players.

Stop judging the better game by player count. I agree it's subjective but those are public knowledge, I mean wich one would you deny?

And again, If you find out that wow is the better game go have some fun in there. Let's use the forum for constructive feedback only. Anet can't compete with Blizzard but that doesn't make wow the better game

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> > > >

> > > > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

> > >

> > > Best combat? GW2

> > > Best quests? GW2

> > > Less grind? GW2

> > > More fun? GW2

> > > Better graphics? GW2

> > > Cheaper? GW2

> > > More interesting classes? GW2

> > > Best mounts? GW2

> > > i could go on and on

> >

> > And all of these is your subjective opinion having no consequence for other players. WoW wins. Period. It has more players, it earns more money. We love GW2 here but let's not distort reality. Seriously. WoW losing half subs after WoD still had more subs than GW2 players.

>

> Stop judging the better game by player count. I agree it's subjective but those are public knowledge, I mean wich one would you deny?

Anyone who doesn't agree with you, like for example all the people who chose other MMOs instead of GW2, may deny what you say. This is not general knowledge as GW2 doesn't exist anywhere. Nobody talks about the game, no serious sites or gaming journalists care about the game, a lot of people don't even know what GW2 is. Meanwhile WoW is phenomenom. Even people who never played it know about this game, know the franchise or even some of the characters. WoW is part of gaming culture in general. GW2 is not.

And player count is exactly what tells you which game is better. More succesful means better. More players means better. More money means better. It's nice you like GW2, I like it too, that's why I'm here. But don't act like our personal feelings about the game are facts. Gaming is bussiness, Anet is a company which purpose is to make profit. The merit of success is making money. And that's what GW2 isn't really good at.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > > > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> > > > >

> > > > > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

> > > >

> > > > Best combat? GW2

> > > > Best quests? GW2

> > > > Less grind? GW2

> > > > More fun? GW2

> > > > Better graphics? GW2

> > > > Cheaper? GW2

> > > > More interesting classes? GW2

> > > > Best mounts? GW2

> > > > i could go on and on

> > >

> > > And all of these is your subjective opinion having no consequence for other players. WoW wins. Period. It has more players, it earns more money. We love GW2 here but let's not distort reality. Seriously. WoW losing half subs after WoD still had more subs than GW2 players.

> >

> > Stop judging the better game by player count. I agree it's subjective but those are public knowledge, I mean wich one would you deny?

>

> Anyone who doesn't agree with you, like for example all the people who chose other MMOs instead of GW2, may deny what you say. This is not general knowledge as GW2 doesn't exist anywhere. Nobody talks about the game, no serious sites or gaming journalists care about the game, a lot of people don't even know what GW2 is. Meanwhile WoW is phenomenom. Even people who never played it know about this game, know the franchise or even some of the characters. WoW is part of gaming culture in general. GW2 is not.

>

> And player count is exactly what tells you which game is better. More succesful means better. More players means better. More money means better. It's nice you like GW2, I like it too, that's why I'm here. But don't act like our personal feelings about the game are facts. Gaming is bussiness, Anet is a company which purpose is to make profit. The merit of success is making money. And that's what GW2 isn't really good at.

>

You just said WoW is a more sucessefull game, which i 100% agree with. Im saying that GW2 is a better game, and thats with a period. GW2 never appealed to the masses anyway, as i said Anet suck at marketing, but the gameplay is much much better in GW2, or this game would be dead already. You are missing my entire point, i never said GW2 was more populated or sucessefull, i said it is the BETTER game. If you take the "online" away and compare those two like 2 off-line games you'll agree to every point i listed above.

Runescape is another phenom game. I played it for like 10 years. Its part of the game culture, everybody knows about it, etc etc. Makes much more Money than GW2 too, but i stopped RS to come to play GW2 because GW2 is the better game. Thats it. Anet just need to focus really hard on marketing to make GW2 shine again, go check YT on the year GW2 was launched, almost everyone gave it a 10/10, and its still good these days, with better gameplay than FFXIV, ESO and BDO for example (newer games with prettier graphics but bad gameplay compared to GW2). The game is still good, Anet just need to focus really hard on marketing to make GW2 shine again!

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > > > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > > > > > @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> > > > > > > GW2 is the best MMO these days, period.

> > > > > > > But the MMO genre is not on the spotlight anymore

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well that is simply an opinion, one with no factual data at all that supports it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Best combat? GW2

> > > > > Best quests? GW2

> > > > > Less grind? GW2

> > > > > More fun? GW2

> > > > > Better graphics? GW2

> > > > > Cheaper? GW2

> > > > > More interesting classes? GW2

> > > > > Best mounts? GW2

> > > > > i could go on and on

> > > >

> > > > And all of these is your subjective opinion having no consequence for other players. WoW wins. Period. It has more players, it earns more money. We love GW2 here but let's not distort reality. Seriously. WoW losing half subs after WoD still had more subs than GW2 players.

> > >

> > > Stop judging the better game by player count. I agree it's subjective but those are public knowledge, I mean wich one would you deny?

> >

> > Anyone who doesn't agree with you, like for example all the people who chose other MMOs instead of GW2, may deny what you say. This is not general knowledge as GW2 doesn't exist anywhere. Nobody talks about the game, no serious sites or gaming journalists care about the game, a lot of people don't even know what GW2 is. Meanwhile WoW is phenomenom. Even people who never played it know about this game, know the franchise or even some of the characters. WoW is part of gaming culture in general. GW2 is not.

> >

> > And player count is exactly what tells you which game is better. More succesful means better. More players means better. More money means better. It's nice you like GW2, I like it too, that's why I'm here. But don't act like our personal feelings about the game are facts. Gaming is bussiness, Anet is a company which purpose is to make profit. The merit of success is making money. And that's what GW2 isn't really good at.

> >

>

> You just said WoW is a more sucessefull game, which i 100% agree with. Im saying that GW2 is a better game, and thats with a period. GW2 never appealed to the masses anyway, as i said Anet suck at marketing, but the gameplay is much much better in GW2, or this game would be dead already. You are missing my entire point, i never said GW2 was more populated or sucessefull, i said it is the BETTER game. If you take the "online" away and compare those two like 2 off-line games you'll agree to every point i listed above.

GW2 is different. One can say it's better, the other may prefer classic approach from WoW and its clones. You may try finding technical things that are made better with GW2 engine, but what you listed in your original post really isn't an example of these. For every thing you think makes this game "better", I can list what new problems it caused. Especially your gameplay argument, which is a 100% subjective matter which you cannot present with objective, measurable values.

I dislike WoW. I really enjoy Guild Wars 2. But this game is a niche game (even if it's a large niche) that doesn't appeal to lots of people. It has its audience and I'm one of that audience. WoW still has more people playing it than this game, makes more money. Their reddit is busier. There's zero evidence that WoW is doing worse than Guild Wars 2. I suspect that Guild Wars 2 is still in the top five MMOs, at least in the West, but that's as far as it goes.

Game is still the best game for my play style. Nothing else fits the bill. But that doesn't mean other games are better for other people's play style.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> And no, it's not the new WoW, not even close. GW2 expansions devolved TREMENDOUSLY, to the point where I would call them DLCs and not real expansions. WoW pumps out more endgame content in a random patch than GW2 does in an expansion.

Nevermind the fact that WoW actually does balance patches. Frequently enough so they deserve a category name. As in, balance might **actually shift/move over time**. An absolutely crazy concept after 5+ years of GW2, where "glacial pace" is putting it mildly.

It's true, big gaming sites didn't even mention or review the release of PoF. It's just sad... This game is niche and MMOs generally are becoming niche. MOBAs still on the throne, followed and soon succeeded by those stupid battle royale games. People aren't willing to sink hundreds or thousands of hours into a game. They are more and more casual, the mobile gaming generation is dominating the demand and hence the market.

> @"Darcnova.5163" said:

> There is a "New Hope " called Ashes of Creation I am betting that will surpass anything wow ever did, even my own excitement when I finally got my green fire. Gw2 it is ok boring most of the time, but I do like the graphics, better than wow.

i found it a good game but, not much better than GW2. im not sure if it will be more sucessefull than GW2, let alone wow

I dunno.....I mean I played WOW for a long time and ended up quitting for a lot of reasons right before GW2 launched. I ended up getting GW2 and giving it a go. At first, the game didn't really grab me like WOW did (esp. PVE) but I kept playing and really fell in love with WvW (prob my fav thing in any MMO ive ever played).

Fast forward to HOT launch and GW2 really started to sour for me and I ended up quitting for a while and not playing much at all for almost 2 years. I ended up getting a real itch to go back to WOW and give it another shot as it had been like 5 + years since I had played (this was about 10 months ago now). I played for about 5 months and WOW just felt so clunky and old/dated that I could not really get back into at all. So many pointless grinds and RNG elements that they implemented, not to mention the community just being god awful (GW2 community is a million times better). Game play and combat was just boring to me, especially compared to GW2's combat.

I came back to GW2 in October and have really been enjoying it since. I really like PoF much better than HoT and a lot of my friends are still around. All in all, GW2 is a much better game FOR ME these days than WOW is. Once the nostalgia of going back to WOW wore off, there wasn't much left for me anymore.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> It's most definetly not, but it's really quite simple:

>

> GW2 came out.

> There where *lots* of new MMOs coming out, like "GW2 killers", Asian MMOs, crowdfunded games and some big developer names. People ranted on this forum about them like it was the second coming of Christ. GW2 would die.

> The big name games where either broken buggy messes or killed by subscription limitations.

> The crowdfunded games are still in early alpha stages 5 years later.

> The Asian MMOs where... Asian.

> The GW2 killers never even came close because all of the above.

> So what we are left with is... GW2.

>

> And now we have is TF2 clones, battle royale gamemodes making billions in $$$ (and of course Call of Duty and Battlefield on a yearly basis), no one really care about renewal in the MMO genre anymore, they're just letting the old ones run.

Pretty sure the closest contemporary game to GW2 I can think of which is ESO has more players spread across multiple platforms, an attractive alternative subscription you can choose despite the game being B2P, if all else fails Zenimax is sitting on a $1,000,000,000 settlement from suing Facebook over Occulus.

GW2 is nowhere near the level of WoW and that's from a GW veteran, it has just a fraction of WoW rich lore and don't even mention the lack of actually something meaningful to do.

nowadays WoW is getting better where GW2 is falling like a brick, it seriously needs some really drastic changes (in a good way) to stop falling and start growing.

I find GW2 to be (of the big name mmos out currently) the most polished and innovative of the bunch, but not necessarily the "best." The fast combat, dodging, buttery smooth and interesting mount movement, instant pvp, welcoming community, great art direction, and no FORCED arbitrary gear grind and level cap grind that renders your character irrelevant, culminate into what feels like a modern and refreshing spin on many mmo conventions. Some people need to realize that player count is primarily indicative of matters of QUANTITY not quality; brand name and advertisement can feed into growing and maintain an audience, even if the game itself is subpar feature wise. I feel this is the "go to" mmo for people looking for an online game removed of antiquated grind and combat systems. Even still, it has never nor will ever have the level of influence and impact of WoW in the grand scheme; no question.

> @"Slugonaut.9841" said:

Once the nostalgia of going back to WOW wore off, there wasn't much left for me anymore.

/I do like to emphasize the power of nostalgia. It blinds people to the reality of things no matter the subject at hand. I used to play an old 2004 mmo as if it were my job. Even though that game was unique it was very clunky and borderline pay2win, but my nostalgic ties made me think that it was the "best." I advise people to not intertwine nostalgia with quality. In fact, one rather prevalent desire in mmo communities is the mentality of "reliving" the first mmo experience. People claim to seek new things but actually desire for new games to mimic their old favorites instead of enjoying something entirely new.

To stay more on topic..WoW is objectively superior numbers-wise, everything else is up for debate.

> @"Darcnova.5163" said:

> There is a "New Hope " called Ashes of Creation I am betting that will surpass anything wow ever did, even my own excitement when I finally got my green fire. Gw2 it is ok boring most of the time, but I do like the graphics, better than wow.

It will most likely not surpass WoW, no mmo has managed that so far. But I'm hoping it's just going to be a decent game.

> @"Darcnova.5163" said:

From what i see it has open world PvP, and is in general PvP-heavy, so no, thank you. I prefer cooperative games over competitive ones.

Gw2 will never be the new WoW as it is designed to be the MMO where older people like me with a job and less disposable time can go and get quality casual game play with out grinding away. Take Elder Scrolls Online for example, I've learned to love that game because of the stellar story telling,how ever I can not health wise put as much time as I want into it to get the most out of it, to give you an idea I've already put 1,000 hours into it over the course of a month and I've only done half or the story content that shipped with it, it's having a bad effect on my marriage so I'm literally forcing my self off the game and getting back into GW2 as it is the only casual game where I can get a lot done with out becoming a drone with a stage 4 pressure unlcer under my tail bone.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Darcnova.5163" said:

> > There is a "New Hope " called Ashes of Creation I am betting that will surpass anything wow ever did, even my own excitement when I finally got my green fire. Gw2 it is ok boring most of the time, but I do like the graphics, better than wow.

>

> From what i see it has open world PvP, and is in general PvP-heavy, so no, thank you. I prefer cooperative games over competitive ones.

Nearly every competitive game is also cooperative, they are just cooperative in a different way from what you may like, frankly the level of cooperation in a lot of competitive games goes way beyond the rather shallow level that most PvE produces, go see EVE Online for an example of cooperation that makes "cooperative" play in PvE in GW2 look trivial.

i love how gw2 official forums members show so much antagonism,

so what are you even doing here and not playing this "better" games?

this game is unarguable one of the best long surviving mmorpgs out there, people have different taste and different preference for gameplays, some love fantasy, some love action, some love story, some love quests, and some love pvp, and ofcourse that some games put more on specifiec stuff.

i think that there is no perfect game, blizzard was kind of a pioneer in the marketed mmorpg business and marketed WoW like crazy, its the most known mmorpg out there, people spend more money on it, and people are already invested in it.

Gw2 have a smaller community, but still a large one, its enjoyable, its more updated and better graphic and better mechanic than older (wow) games.

people are just brainwashed by commercials and w/e.

enjoy the game, stop complain, have fun, or quit because you are wasting your time.

> @"Abakk.9176" said:

> > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > .... to give you an idea I've already put 1,000 hours into it over the course of a month

>

> In a 31 day month, that is over 32 hours per day. That is seriously deadly... it's not even a risk but a certainty.

>

>

>

More like 2 months, after I looked into it but still that's close to 16 hours a day, I did have a tendency of alt tabbing out of the game though so perhaps it runs for hours before logging you out.