Anyone notice an increase in hackers?

madamred.1463

> @"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:

> The other day I've seen a really pissed off cussing guy running hacks just to catch and wreck the other one from opposite server. Think I've seen it all now.

LOL this sounds absolutely hilarious i wish i had seen that.

Personally though, as a general response to this thread.. I have never actually seen anyone cheat. Not once. I guess you guys must be kinda unlucky? im not sure. i dont ever really hear about people cheating or hacking at all either in game..

Surely ANET wants to keep hackers and cheaters out of the game but i dont think its that easy to track them down. like others have already stated, false reports happen all the time. I too get accused of cheating or hacking occasionally where a person will ( supposedly ) make his party or even entire guild report me.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:

> > The other day I've seen a really pissed off cussing guy running hacks just to catch and wreck the other one from opposite server. Think I've seen it all now.

>

> LOL this sounds absolutely hilarious i wish i had seen that.

>

> Personally though, as a general response to this thread.. I have never actually seen anyone cheat. Not once. I guess you guys must be kinda unlucky? im not sure. i dont ever really hear about people cheating or hacking at all either in game..

>

> Surely ANET wants to keep hackers and cheaters out of the game but i dont think its that easy to track them down. like others have already stated, false reports happen all the time. I too get accused of cheating or hacking occasionally where a person will ( supposedly ) make his party or even entire guild report me.

>

>

It does exist, count yourself lucky not coming across it. If your playtime only extends to prime or zerging hours then most likely you won't see/notice any most of the time. What server do you play and what hours do you spend in WvW? Roaming/zerging? It might give a general idea on why you may not be coming across any.

> @"bigo.9037" said:

>I have never actually seen anyone cheat. Not once. I guess you guys must be kinda unlucky? im not sure. i dont ever really hear about people cheating or hacking at all either in game..

here to give you an idea

btw, i saw hacking in WvW first time 3 days ago after 3 years, ironically, its also an HoD like the one in that video

i saw superman who fly

i also have a screenshots, no video atm because i cant figure out how to work my shadowplay

try late sea or early na timezone, thats the time i saw hackers

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > @"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:

> > > The other day I've seen a really pissed off cussing guy running hacks just to catch and wreck the other one from opposite server. Think I've seen it all now.

> >

> > LOL this sounds absolutely hilarious i wish i had seen that.

> >

> > Personally though, as a general response to this thread.. I have never actually seen anyone cheat. Not once. I guess you guys must be kinda unlucky? im not sure. i dont ever really hear about people cheating or hacking at all either in game..

> >

> > Surely ANET wants to keep hackers and cheaters out of the game but i dont think its that easy to track them down. like others have already stated, false reports happen all the time. I too get accused of cheating or hacking occasionally where a person will ( supposedly ) make his party or even entire guild report me.

> >

> >

>

> It does exist, count yourself lucky not coming across it. If your playtime only extends to prime or zerging hours then most likely you won't see/notice any most of the time. What server do you play and what hours do you spend in WvW? Roaming/zerging? It might give a general idea on why you may not be coming across any.

I play on EU around.. plus minus primetime ish. Roaming. i dont doubt they exist i just think its interesting cus ive never even heard people talking about it ingame other than when they're accusing **me** of doing it lol

> @"bigo.9037" said:

> > @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> > > @"bigo.9037" said:

> > > > @"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:

> > > > The other day I've seen a really pissed off cussing guy running hacks just to catch and wreck the other one from opposite server. Think I've seen it all now.

> > >

> > > LOL this sounds absolutely hilarious i wish i had seen that.

> > >

> > > Personally though, as a general response to this thread.. I have never actually seen anyone cheat. Not once. I guess you guys must be kinda unlucky? im not sure. i dont ever really hear about people cheating or hacking at all either in game..

> > >

> > > Surely ANET wants to keep hackers and cheaters out of the game but i dont think its that easy to track them down. like others have already stated, false reports happen all the time. I too get accused of cheating or hacking occasionally where a person will ( supposedly ) make his party or even entire guild report me.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It does exist, count yourself lucky not coming across it. If your playtime only extends to prime or zerging hours then most likely you won't see/notice any most of the time. What server do you play and what hours do you spend in WvW? Roaming/zerging? It might give a general idea on why you may not be coming across any.

>

> I play on EU around.. plus minus primetime ish. Roaming. i dont doubt they exist i just think its interesting cus ive never even heard people talking about it ingame other than when they're accusing **me** of doing it lol

Guess we legit players need to log into eu servers?

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

Nope, not going to delete this, unless I look back and see naming and shaming. You're certainly welcome to share your concerns about this subject. I want you to know that they *are* noted.

I had a long talk with CS just this week on the topic of cheating and how players can best report incidents. I wanted to be sure that reports truly were noted, and acted upon. And... they are. You may not see the reaction, because it can happen outside of your view. You will not hear about the outcome, because there is no method to respond to an in-game report. **But when you report someone for cheating -- and that's reported through using the "botting" reason, because they get the same sort of review -- an agent will investigate.** Alternately, you can use e-mail to send a report and details to Exploits@Arena.Net. (BTW, the team asked me to suggest that you you please not include files in your initial e-mail. For security purposes, attachments are filtered out. However, you can provide a link to a video file if you've hosted it elsewhere. Alternately, you could mention you have a video or other resource and the team will provide a means to get it to them if they determine they need it.)

Sometimes it's hard to nail down the use of a cheat in a single review, and seldom is the review going to happen within seconds of your report. However, I can confirm that reports are not "going into the void" or getting quietly shuffled under the carpet. Nor is this conversation. :)

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

>

> Nope, not going to delete this, unless I look back and see naming and shaming. You're certainly welcome to share your concerns about this subject. I want you to know that they *are* noted.

>

> I had a long talk with CS just this week on the topic of cheating and how players can best report incidents. I wanted to be sure that reports truly were noted, and acted upon. And... they are. You may not see the reaction, because it can happen outside of your view. You will not hear about the outcome, because there is no method to respond to an in-game report. **But when you report someone for cheating -- and that's reported through using the "botting" reason, because they get the same sort of review -- an agent will investigate.** Alternately, you can use e-mail to send a report and details to Exploits@Arena.Net. (BTW, the team asked me to suggest that you you please not include files in your initial e-mail. For security purposes, attachments are filtered out. However, you can provide a link to a video file if you've hosted it elsewhere. Alternately, you could mention you have a video or other resource and the team will provide a means to get it to them if they determine they need it.)

>

> Sometimes it's hard to nail down the use of a cheat in a single review, and seldom is the review going to happen within seconds of your report. However, I can confirm that reports are not "going into the void" or getting quietly shuffled under the carpet. Nor is this conversation. :)

Thank you @"Gaile Gray.6029"

It helps to know the right process and that things are being looked at.

There is certainly a percentage of players that won't be satisfied until they see a public execution or two, but I wonder if a list of numbers of people banned, and maybe the lengths of those bans could be done? Maybe include the region (ideally the server...).

This may give the more bloodthirsty players the realization that it is happening in the background.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

> >

> > Nope, not going to delete this, unless I look back and see naming and shaming. You're certainly welcome to share your concerns about this subject. I want you to know that they *are* noted.

> >

> > I had a long talk with CS just this week on the topic of cheating and how players can best report incidents. I wanted to be sure that reports truly were noted, and acted upon. And... they are. You may not see the reaction, because it can happen outside of your view. You will not hear about the outcome, because there is no method to respond to an in-game report. **But when you report someone for cheating -- and that's reported through using the "botting" reason, because they get the same sort of review -- an agent will investigate.** Alternately, you can use e-mail to send a report and details to Exploits@Arena.Net. (BTW, the team asked me to suggest that you you please not include files in your initial e-mail. For security purposes, attachments are filtered out. However, you can provide a link to a video file if you've hosted it elsewhere. Alternately, you could mention you have a video or other resource and the team will provide a means to get it to them if they determine they need it.)

> >

> > Sometimes it's hard to nail down the use of a cheat in a single review, and seldom is the review going to happen within seconds of your report. However, I can confirm that reports are not "going into the void" or getting quietly shuffled under the carpet. Nor is this conversation. :)

>

> Thank you @"Gaile Gray.6029"

>

> It helps to know the right process and that things are being looked at.

>

> There is certainly a percentage of players that won't be satisfied until they see a public execution or two, but I wonder if a list of numbers of people banned, and maybe the lengths of those bans could be done? Maybe include the region (ideally the server...).

>

> This may give the more bloodthirsty players the realization that it is happening in the background.

About the request: At first I read "list of names" and I immediately thought "There's no way we'd do that!" But numbers, period of suspension, I get that. It's definitely something we could discuss, although for the most part we go about the cheater-removal process rather quietly.

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > > This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

> > >

> > > Nope, not going to delete this, unless I look back and see naming and shaming. You're certainly welcome to share your concerns about this subject. I want you to know that they *are* noted.

> > >

> > > I had a long talk with CS just this week on the topic of cheating and how players can best report incidents. I wanted to be sure that reports truly were noted, and acted upon. And... they are. You may not see the reaction, because it can happen outside of your view. You will not hear about the outcome, because there is no method to respond to an in-game report. **But when you report someone for cheating -- and that's reported through using the "botting" reason, because they get the same sort of review -- an agent will investigate.** Alternately, you can use e-mail to send a report and details to Exploits@Arena.Net. (BTW, the team asked me to suggest that you you please not include files in your initial e-mail. For security purposes, attachments are filtered out. However, you can provide a link to a video file if you've hosted it elsewhere. Alternately, you could mention you have a video or other resource and the team will provide a means to get it to them if they determine they need it.)

> > >

> > > Sometimes it's hard to nail down the use of a cheat in a single review, and seldom is the review going to happen within seconds of your report. However, I can confirm that reports are not "going into the void" or getting quietly shuffled under the carpet. Nor is this conversation. :)

> >

> > Thank you @"Gaile Gray.6029"

> >

> > It helps to know the right process and that things are being looked at.

> >

> > There is certainly a percentage of players that won't be satisfied until they see a public execution or two, but I wonder if a list of numbers of people banned, and maybe the lengths of those bans could be done? Maybe include the region (ideally the server...).

> >

> > This may give the more bloodthirsty players the realization that it is happening in the background.

>

> About the request: At first I read "list of names" and I immediately thought "There's no way we'd do that!" But numbers, period of suspension, I get that. It's definitely something we could discuss, although for the most part we go about the cheater-removal process rather quietly.

Agreed about the names. Thank you for looking at it though. :grin:

> About the request: At first I read "list of names" and I immediately thought "There's no way we'd do that!" But numbers, period of suspension, I get that. It's definitely something we could discuss, although for the most part we go about the cheater-removal process rather quietly.

Just posting stats goes a long way to show players that it is being addressed and that reporting it helps to resolve it. The best hackers are going to be more subtle and players may not notice them, permanent 40% run speed, burst speeds of 50% (Did he shadowstep there?), pass thru a wall as a Mez and "Say hi zerg I was able to hide in keep, wanna port?". Sharing action stats shows that ANet does and has the tools to address it.

Thanks!

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

>

> > About the request: At first I read "list of names" and I immediately thought "There's no way we'd do that!" But numbers, period of suspension, I get that. It's definitely something we could discuss, although for the most part we go about the cheater-removal process rather quietly.

>

> Just posting stats goes a long way to show players that it is being addressed and that reporting it helps to resolve it. The best hackers are going to be more subtle and players may not notice them, permanent 40% run speed, burst speeds of 50% (Did he shadowstep there?), pass thru a wall as a Mez and "Say hi zerg I was able to hide in keep, wanna port?". Sharing action stats shows that ANet does and has the tools to address it.

>

> Thanks!

>

Ok, I take that on board, too, Grimm. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Over the years, I have "followed" a few hackers ingame to spot their behaviours etc, a few of the more crafty ones cheat & play for a day, then play a few days without cheating & get totally wrecked all the time. Almost like they could be aware of potential monitoring, or simply down playing their statistics (this behaviour pattern has been noted/spotted). A few of the wvw cheaters I've seen are not actually killing enemy players, but using inifinite energy/blocks type cheats & just trolling enemy players instead, as they cannot significantly change the outcome of the entire week (that's one of the biggest PROS about World vs World).

As the number of players increase, cheaters have less of an impact. But, I also noted another more disturbing pattern "They also play PvP". That is where cheating is going to impact the outcome of matches. After "spying" on a few over a few days, I noted that they actually played more PvP than WvW (that does make sense i guess).

Every thread on hacking tends to disappear for whatever reasons, I know hacking is never a good thing to see and read about for a game, but it's an issue that needs to be dealt with and not silently ignored. I'm glad this thread will stay up to have a discussion about this situation because it's important to get information to players about hacking, how to spot it and how to report it. In fact I didn't know reporting someone under botting was the way to go to report a hacker as to me botting just means playing the game afk like the leather farm in pve, while hacking means using exploits in the game like flying around the zone with no mount.

I'm glad Gaile has responded and posted some information on reporting and that anet does look into the reports and do something about it if they can, a very important part of preventing players from doing hacks is actually stopping them from actually thinking of hacking in the first place. That starts with saying something and letting players know you're serious about this issue and you will ban accounts.

While Anet might have done this silently all this time, it needs to be visible somewhere, as I mentioned in another hacker thread that got removed, a company like Blizzard let's their players know they are actively banning accounts, when ban waves happen they let players know how many were banned. When players see this happening they feel better knowing the company is actively doing something, players also get the pre-warning not to take up the hacking tools or you may risk getting banned as well.

My point is you cannot be totally silent on an issue like this, there needs to be a stickied thread at the very least mentioning hacking will be dealt with, and how to make proper reports.

Oooh all those minion bot views from the video... coincidence much.

But like was said, ANET have simply let these issues fester for way too long and for them to take action on accounts using any of those hax/bots exploits etc now (if they could even track them) would be too little too late and likely lead to a noticeable population deviation.. aint gunna happen, so we have to either join the hax squad, grin and bare it or go elsewhere for our fun fix.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

> >

>

> There is certainly a percentage of players that won't be satisfied until they see a public execution or two, but I wonder if a list of numbers of people banned, and maybe the lengths of those bans could be done? Maybe include the region (ideally the server...).

>

> This may give the more bloodthirsty players the realization that it is happening in the background.

I think one of the most important things here is showing the *hackers* that actions are being taken. I understand doing it without a lot of fanfare, but if the hackers themselves never see any action being taken, they will continue to think that Anet doesn't care very much about hacking, leading to a greater proliferation. If they know they are at risk of real punishment, I think a lot of the hackers that actually have something to lose might stop the more blatant stuff.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> how to spot it

>

That's the big one for me on combat hacks. I don't actually like to fight players, I mainly just want to scout, ppt, do my dailies and not get zerged while walking around, but, this is wvw :) and fights and numbers are kind of unavoidable most times when you're out and about by yourself, because others are also doing the same and they usually have more players than you do.

I've played all the professions at one point or another, but some not regularly and others maybe regularly but not necessarily both of their elite professions, so it's hard to keep track of what some professions are capable of and what is downright impossible.

My SO, who is a bot watcher both in and out of wvw will oftentimes start watching my screen when I'm in the midst of a fight, sometimes he will say nothing, but othertimes he will say, nah, that guy is cheating, but the actions the other player does looks so normal to me most times I'll write it off as I must've just screwed up or something.

I like to believe that most players are genuinely honest, but to hear my SO talk about the fights I stumble across, it seems I likely encounter anywhere from 1-5 erroneous players every night. Not a big number considering the size and scope of the mode, and some of the players may be the same people on different accounts, but it still leaves one wondering what's going on that they are missing and how many times over the years were they robbed of a win because of stuff like this?

The flip side of unfamiliarity and/or inexperience with combat is labeling everyone that beats you in a fight as a cheater, when we that have played for years know that's just not the case, but never the less inexperienced, dare I say saltier players and new players see genuine losses not as something they did wrong, but as something their opponent must've done beyond the scope of legal play. Now, you can tell when you're sitting there looking at a dead body, that you're most likely getting blocked/reported and/or about to be whispered,. I'm just wondering what the odds are that genuine players get mixed up with the non genuine ones BECAUSE 10 salty guild mates of the new player reported the genuine player as well based on the uneducated word of the guild mate that lost?

One of the biggest things to put more of a hurdle on detecting some types of hacks is the increase in mobility skills in the game. A lot of times I'm sure a person will look at a thief or ranger just dashing away at a distance that seems impossible in the amount of time they do it, and it can just be chalked up to being a hack. Sometimes we see downed players and they seem to teleport, sometimes that is just due to lag on their end and maybe their corpse was a foot away from where you saw it went down, but if you see the corpse teleporting like 5 times away from you, that's most likely a hack and not a lag spike lol.

Pretty sure I have friends who have been reported for hacking on legit capture of t3 structures because one person didn't understand how it happened in a short period of time and then also tells the map to report them so it can get attention quicker, there use to be a guy on hod who use to do this quite often to many players. Sometimes it might just be a mesmer hack ported into a structure and ported people in, or maybe it might just be a group planned out building 5 golems for a water gate rush and quickly go for a cap while the map was quiet(the old days anyways), just because you don't see a ram or cata doesn't mean they didn't use golems instead and ported them out after.

Players need a better understanding of what seems legit skills or hacking going on in combat, and having an open discussion will help with that.

> @"Euryon.9248" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > > This thread will get deleted, and nothing will be done about the problem ?

> > >

>

> >

> > There is certainly a percentage of players that won't be satisfied until they see a public execution or two, but I wonder if a list of numbers of people banned, and maybe the lengths of those bans could be done? Maybe include the region (ideally the server...).

> >

> > This may give the more bloodthirsty players the realization that it is happening in the background.

>

> I think one of the most important things here is showing the *hackers* that actions are being taken. I understand doing it without a lot of fanfare, but if the hackers themselves never see any action being taken, they will continue to think that Anet doesn't care very much about hacking, leading to a greater proliferation. If they know they are at risk of real punishment, I think a lot of the hackers that actually have something to lose might stop the more blatant stuff.

And herein lays the bigger issue.. for too long it has felt like nothing has or is being done.

As I have said before.. words are cheap - Actions speak LOUDER than Words.

We all know the hackers, botters, and exploiters looking to game the system exists in GW2.. what we don't see is anything getting done about it except forum postings disappearing when it rears its ugly head.

The real deterrent is this is ACTION and sadly to me at least, it appears to be sorely lacking when it comes to dealing with this issue. Like Scorpion showed in another of his video provings.. as soon as a hack is used that affects the bottom line , it is acted on quicksmart.. but otherwise they are left to fester in the hope it will all go away. You can only sweep stuff under the rug for so long until it begins to leak out the sides.

I've confronted a few hackers and I keep getting the same response. "They can't even detect this hack. So not going to stop doing it until they fix PvP and I get my proper spot on leader boards."

Seriously, that is the justification I constantly hear. I do however keep seeing the same people running around for months. So either it not being able to be detected is true, or nothing is actually being done.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> One of the biggest things to put more of a hurdle on detecting some types of hacks is the increase in mobility skills in the game. A lot of times I'm sure a person will look at a thief or ranger just dashing away at a distance that seems impossible in the amount of time they do it, and it can just be chalked up to being a hack. Sometimes we see downed players and they seem to teleport, sometimes that is just due to lag on their end and maybe their corpse was a foot away from where you saw it went down, but if you see the corpse teleporting like 5 times away from you, that's most likely a hack and not a lag spike lol.

>

> Pretty sure I have friends who have been reported for hacking on legit capture of t3 structures because one person didn't understand how it happened in a short period of time and then also tells the map to report them so it can get attention quicker, there use to be a guy on hod who use to do this quite often to many players. Sometimes it might just be a mesmer hack ported into a structure and ported people in, or maybe it might just be a group planned out building 5 golems for a water gate rush and quickly go for a cap while the map was quiet(the old days anyways), just because you don't see a ram or cata doesn't mean they didn't use golems instead and ported them out after.

>

> *Players need a better understanding of what seems legit skills or hacking going on in combat, and having an open discussion will help with that.*

>

Agreed. I wonder if there was a way to engage that discussion without leading people to how to get/use the hacks themselves.

Some threads get removed when people post names of people they feel are hacking, but hopefully, this thread will stay clean of that.

I was surprised that my weaver was moving at 40% swiftness vs 33%... One of my traits bumps swiftness up by x%. And on my weaver, I can easily generate 2:00 of that swiftness.

Now... I can't run through CC's.... nor constantly shake off cripple, but...