endless clothing tonic trade-in

Mochi.7083

what the heck, arenanet? we were told back when town clothes were removed that you couldn't make then into outfits or armor skins for some stupid reason, and now you have an asura in lions arch that lets you trade your endless town clothes tonics... for outfits you all told us weren't possible or didn't fit the game. four years after the fact. when most of us have gotten rid of these useless tonics you foisted on us to placate those of us who were upset you removed this well-liked feature from the game. and you did it sneakily, too. how long has this vendor been there? i only found it by accident. in my opinion, any account old enough to have had town clothes when they were a thing should get these outfits for free (with the exception of the gw2 hat and tshirt -- i know those were preorder bonuses). but that probably won't happen. i'm severely disappointed and upset by this. we could have had this years ago and instead you slide it in under the door when no one is playing attention. i'm still grumpy with the outfit feature in general, honestly. the fact that you can't mix and match headgear anymore (once upon a time we could wear glasses with various outfits, or eye patches, or whatever we wanted) is still a sore spot all these years later. it's stupid. getting rid of town clothes was stupid. and this tonic trade in is even more stupid. i shouldn't have to pay almost 800 gold on the trading post to experience a feature that was taken away from me.

>how long has this vendor been there?

[December 12th. Game release notes](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/20444/game-release-notes-december-12-2017#latest)

_An outfit version of all 14 of the endless tonics for town clothing has been added to the game for convenience. Each tonic may be exchanged for a matching wardrobe unlock at the Black Lion Trading Post in Lion's Arch._

Apparently a lot of people did hold onto their tonics, judging by the number of people I've seen wearing the town clothes outfits and the number of them for sale on the gem store.

If you purchased clothing from the gem store and then deleted it once it was converted to tonics it _might_ be possible for Support to restore it. But that would only be for ones you paid for - not all of them. I'm also not sure if they would restore it if you accepted the refund they offered at the time, although they let us keep the tonics/outfits so they might well do. (If you do contact Support however I strongly recommend you make your request as polite and friendly as you can - you'd be asking them to do you a big favour and they're under no obligation to do it. If you go in shouting about how stupid they all are like in this post they'll almost certainly say no.)

I agree that converting them to tonics instead of outfits was a bad decision, and I never understood why they did it. But I absolutely disagree that any account old enough should be given all the outfits. Town clothes were never that popular so I suspect the majority of people never bought any, or only bought a few. (I only ever got the pirate costume, which was converted to an outfit. I thought about getting one of the hoodies but never did.) Giving all old accounts all the outfits for free would be ridiculous.

What they could do, and what I'm fully expecting them to do at some point, is sell the outfits in the gem store. Even for people who bought them as town clothes that would be a reasonable compromise since if you were unhappy with the tonic you will have gotten the gems refunded. Which means you'd only be paying for it once, like everyone else, not paying twice for the same thing.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> What they could do, and what I'm fully expecting them to do at some point, is sell the outfits in the gem store. Even for people who bought them as town clothes that would be a reasonable compromise since if you were unhappy with the tonic you will have gotten the gems refunded. Which means you'd only be paying for it once, like everyone else, not paying twice for the same thing.

That would be great, but I see them selling "new" outfits and ignoring the tonic-driven ones so as not to upset those who held onto them or are trying to sell them in the TP. Just my opinion.